Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 05:17

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 112/112/100 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

i've gone back to throwin up, but its bad cos i find it hard to throw up now, i can't actually do it, so i end up getting fatter!!
about this low carb thing, anything i put into my mouth i feel guilty and i still can't do it, cos the thing is, i've heard it ionly works for overwieght people? o god! help!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 06:10

Plan: PP&LC
Stats: 160/120/100 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 67%

Since I also used to have the anorexia symptoms before, I truly understand how u are feeling. But I was not bulimia because I've never vomitted or taken the laxative pills. The thing is that I tried most of ways to get out of the eating disorder, such as counselling with psychologist, self-control, talking with parents and so on. I tried to overcome it really hard but I could not eat because I was so afraid of gaining weight. And one day I just happened to wanna try the atkins diet, and I ate lots lots of meats including fatty red meats, eggs, butter, oil, mayo, cheese, all kinds of fatty foods. I was surprised because I did not gain weight, even though I ate those high calorie fatty oily foods all day long (up to 5000kcal/day), and I just kept doing that way for about 1 week. As a result, I gained some weight. I don't blame the atkins diet because I know that I didn't perfectly follow the rule of the atkins diet. Therefore, I gained about 7-10lbs and now I am trying to cut it back again.
What I learned from that experience is that even if you eat more foods than now, you're gonna be fine. Struggling with eating everyday made me so negative, pessimistic and aggressive. I found that I was too skinny and guys do not like skinny girls, they prefer curvy or even chubby girls.
The inside is more important than the appearance. I believe that you already know that young boys really care about the looking, but as they get older and older the standard will change.
And if you're not eating it's like you don't know how it's delightful to enjoy having something that's really delicious. I think it's one of the ways to enjoy the life.
Anyways, I know how u r feeling now, and it is not that easy to get over. But it's really harmful for your health since it could even threaten your life. I hope you'll escape from the invisible prison as soon as possible, just like I did. You have to control the appetite, the appetite cannot control you.
I'd recommend that u see a doctor or counsellor to talk about ur eating disorder problem since you have the bulimia symptoms, too, it could be more dangerous.
Lastly, I'd like to add that u r already looking fine. Do not get afraid to eat, it will never ever hurt you. If u r trying to get attention from someone, losing weight isn't everyting to be attractive. There must be something else. Why don't you look for it? Good Luck!

I just tried to help you, I hope it didn't make u feel bad.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 13:51

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 180/144.6/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 79%

we all feel obsessed. Same boat as you all. My problem is when I restrict or feel out of control or that I overconsumed I fall back into bad habits. In any case Atkins is great for sugar blood control but I'm starting to be less strict as to what I consume and more careful as to how Much I'm consuming. I did WW a while back and I like the flexibility of choices if need be. However my food choices will be atkins (not necessarily Induction). This way, b/c I can consume large amounts of food, I will be able to reduce the latter by controlling my portions and control my cravings and eliminate my binges/purges by controlling my blood-sugar.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/125/120 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 90%

For several years in high school and in my first year of college I struggled with anorexia. When my weight drop to 110 lbs (I'm 5'9) I realized that I was killing myself, so I began eating again, thinking I could cure myself. However, I failed to address the emotional reasons as to why I had/have an eatting disorder. As a result I went from being anorexic to being bulemic or rather I starting binging, the purging came later. Now that I'm about 129 lbs, I've started to feel unhappy with my weight and I'm slipping into my old anorexic habits--I know I should get help but I'm scared to.

I do have to warn you all though this whole experience with ED's has been while I've been on Atkins, I have never intentionally strayed from the plan.

I wish I wasn't so obsessed with food and that it didn't matter, there are so many more important things in my life...sigh...It really is a vicious cycle that stems from so many things. For me personally its want of control and poor self esteem. This is the first time I've ever admitted to having a problem with food....
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/143/120 Female 175 cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

i struggled with anorexia and self destructive behaviour all the way through high school. it has screwed up my body / mind / soul to this day.

i found the low carb way a few years ago and it has been the best eating plan for me. it has changed my life and my relationship with food. i now feel in control but i am healthy and getting all the nutrients and fat and protein that my body needs to try and be strong and beautiful.

i still battle terrible self image every day, but as long as i stick to this woe, my eating disorder seems to stay under control.

i have to be so careful though.

good luck
xo
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 12:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 92/112/120 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 71%

i guess i will welcome myself here... i cannot tell you how great the Atkins WOL and WOE is and how much it has changed my life... i was depressed and just didnt eat when i moved away from college after 3 yrs attending b/c my parents moved to mississippi and i came along to graduate from a D-1 school and i already knew "something" was wrong i just couldnt figure it out... one day my parents finally approached me and after a tearfully long episode i went and got help.. at this point i was about 105( i am 5'8)... i hated the help and i hated the meds... it wasn't me i am a very determined a stubborn individual... i cheered for 15 years and tumbled for 6... after quitting all that b/c im 21 now and need to move on with life i got depressed and started getting concerned about my body... while i never listened to counselor etc... i got down to 93 lbs... that was the scariest morning of my life and i knew i had to change... since then i started atkins and i wont lie i gained weight i am now 115 lbs and happy with myself... i can exercise again and can see my muscles coming back... i think the thing for me was deciding for myself i needed to change... i dont want food to run my life or even be a thought in my life... i have a job and it is way more important than food... yes sometimes in bed i think omg did i really fry 3 eggs in butter or add a heaping spoon of mayo to my tuna and yes i did .... i enjoyed it... food is good... it taste good... it has no purpose in life but to keep me alive and i am letting it do that! i am much happier... if anyone wants to chat feel free to get ahold of me but theres my story!