Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:57

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Talking Swamp Moss Soup

Well dont let the name throw yah off, this stuff is very yummy, and it tastes different than anything Ive found in a can... I put this together while browsing my lo-carb counter book.. I was going to call it "green soup" and omit the meat, but found a good deal on stew beef at the store! LOL.. My husband tried it and loved it (he isnt low carb) and said it looked like Swamp Soup, and upon further thinking about it, said Swamp Moss Soup.. So its his idea for the name..

-1 pound Stewing Beef (any beef would be ok, or chicken for that matter)
-2 TBS Butter (for cooking the meat in)

Start out by cooking up the meat in the butter, browning it ect.. I make sure mine is well cooked through because I get funny about eating meat sometimes.. Though it might be better to let it finish up in the soup itself.

In a large saucepan combine;

-7 cups water
-7 boulion cubes (7 net carbs)

-3 Cups Sprouts ( I used a mix of Clover, Raddish and wheat... You could use Alphalfa --- they are what makes the soup so interesting-lots of texture for little carbs!!) (** I dont know for sure how much carbs are in my mix, I guessed 1 carb per cup**)
-1 1/2 Cup frozen chopped Broccoli (small frozen packages have 3 cups, so just use half for easy measurement!) (4 net carbs )
-3/4 Cup Frozen Sugar Snap Peas (4 net carbs)
-3/4 Cup Frozen Itallian Pole Green beans (3 net carbs )
-1 med. Celery stalk chopped (.8 net carbs)
-1/4 cup chopped Green Onion (1.2 net carbs)

Once boulion cubes are disolved, start adding in veggies and meat!

Also, only add in about 1/2 the sprouts, save the other half for the last 15 minutes of cooking!

Add everything in, and set to low-med or med and bring to a slow boil.. Once boiling, cover, and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Use your own judgement. A good indicator that it is almost done is the Sugar snap peas open up and the peas come out!

It might look weird, but it takes great! I got about 8-1 cup servings.. (about 1/2 cup meat and veggies, 1/2 cup broth)

About 23 carbs in the whole batch, divided by 8 is about 2.9 per Cup.. If you only eat 1/2 cup serving about 1.5 per half cup. Rounded up..

Also Alphalfa is about .4 per cup.. So if you use Alphalfa it will only be 21.3 carbs total so 2.7 rounded up for a cup of it.

(I used Beef boulion cubes, though you could use chicken if you were doing a chicken meat soup, or veggie if you were omiting the meat altogether)
**Also you could use 7 cups worth of broth if you wanted instead of the water and the boulion cubes**

--Also I had orignally planned on putting in about 1/2 cup zuchinni but I forgot to add it in!! lol

Hope yall like it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:18

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Also I froze the soup in the one cup portions in plastic containers.. That way, if I dont want to, I dont have to cook every day!!!!! Atleast for one part of the meal?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 15:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/230/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default sounds great!!

I will def try it.........I love soups and thought I had to give them up with the atkins diet.............thanks.........lizzy