Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Day 1...Wish Me Luck!

At my heaviest weight of all time and feel disgusted. Have put on 25 pounds over the past few years due to both Hashimoto's (Hypothyroid) mixed with poor eating habits. Have always been a size 6 and now a 12 and I'm so frustrated at myself. In the past it has been easier to lose weight on either Atkins or Weight Watcher but at 53 I am finding it VERY difficult. I don't stick with anything when I don't see immediate results bc I get very frustrated. Starting Atkins induction today. Would really like to be successful this time and have set my mind to it. My question is....what are the best MACROS for Atkins induction? My Fitness Pal has been great in the past to keep me 'honest' and on track but everything I read has a very high fat macro which scares me! I'm sure if I scroll through this forum I will find a lot of answers to my questions but very busy at work and just found a few minutes to steal to post this! Would appreciate any and all support, encouragement and helpful advice! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 08:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

My first advice is to mostly forget about macros (except for keeping carbs very low, of course) for now. If you just eat meat and eggs to appetite, and the bit of salad allowed in the early version of Atkins induction posted above, you should do fine. Other than that, making sure to get in some salt and preferably a magnesium supplement is important. Don't be afraid of adding some butter, mayo, or other fat if your meat is something like tuna or a lower fat cut of meat, but don't worry about getting the fat to protein ratio just right, either. There can be advantages to making things more ketogenic, increasing the fat to protein ratio, or to going in the other direction entirely, but that's more of a tweak, and which is advantageous can vary from individual to individual, it's best to keep things simple. I lost most of the weight I needed to lose just following Atkins, without worrying about anything but keeping carbs low.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 10:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,
I agree with teaser, if you are busy at work, don’t stress yourself out more worrying about macros. Keep carbs under 20 g a day, eat normal amounts of protein, and have fat to satiety. Ideally that comes with the Whole Foods you eat, eggs, beef, salmon.
If you do want a few more rules the Sticky at the top of the Atkins forum have the Induction rules, or another simple one here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

If you really want to use MFP again, custom the goals to 5% carbs, 20% protein, but understand that program does not leave a macro for the fat being burned from your body. So whatever the fat calories are left...you do not need to eat that amount. Rather just eat to satiety.

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I have Hashimoto's and am your age. I don't find the weight loss difficult. You need to watch your expectations because it usually isn't steady weight loss. My slowest weight loss is weeks 2-4. I guess that's when my body is busy doing all the other great things LC does for you. You can find the threads explaining that the fat is replaced with water and suddenly the water weight comes off in a whoosh. I can actually tell that I'm full of water because my fat spots become mushy.

With LC you can eat food, find ones you like. Don't base it all on the scale number. LC seems to put some muscle on you. I was a size 7 and weighed 110 with LC I was a size 7 and weighed 132.

GOOD LUCK!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 19:45

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good Luck ajd! One thing that stood out in your intro was "... I don't stick with anything when I don't see immediate results bc I get very frustrated"

If you set your self up to not expect too much from this way of eating, it might give you time to actually reap some of the benefits.

Advise; Relax, stay calm and be patient You will do well!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-18, 17:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Take a deep breathe. Relax. It took how long to put on the weight?? It takes time to take it off because you need to eat enough to feel like this way of eating is doable and not a punishment.

In addition to above. Fats are important to feel satisfied. You will learn what amount keeps the hungries at bay.

Loosing slowly will help you learn how to eat to keep this weight off forever. Try to be patient.

( You are not the only one who gained to the highest. My boss changed my job and I gained 20 pounds in 2 months. Not kidding. lol Then injured my back and the weight snowballed. You are in good company. )
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 00:04

Plan: ZERO
Stats: 240/235/170 Male 5.9
BF:
Progress:

Get good at making food, have a plan, spend a lot of money on quality groceries, etc. The cravings will die down soon just stay DETERMINED. Make yourself a low carb cookbook that you can fall back on and be prepared with 0G snack foods like (0G) jerky and stuff that's kinda fun. Also be constantly on the lookout for nasty things like (hidden sugar) coffee creamers and overly processed meats.