Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 07:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

WereBear, how do you take your 2000 mg of niacin? All at once? What time of day?

I just bumped up to 500mg and had some flushing. I had insomnia last night though and I took it right before bed. :\

So, the amazing thing about avoiding my most intolerant foods is how much less I feel I need to eat. My weight is very slowly dropping and my appetite is dramatically curbed.

After I had smoked herring for breakfast yesterday, I didn't eat again until 4pm. That just isn't me!

Oh, it sounds like niacinamide might actually help my arthritis more than niacin.
Quote:
Arthritis

Several researchers have reported excellent results in arthritic patients using niacinamide. While niacin opens up the blood vessels near the surface and causes a flushing sensation, niacinamide only opens up the deep blood vessels like those surrounding the joints.

In cases of moderate arthritis, outstanding results have been produced by taking 1,000 to 1,500 mg a day. In more severe cases, as much as 3,000 mg to 4,000 mg have been recommended. In all instances, here and in the recommendations listed below, the dosage should be divided into five or six doses spread throughout the day rather than all at once. It should also be taken with the knowledge and supervision of your nutritionally oriented doctor.

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/niacin-benefits/

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Apr-18-16 at 08:24.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 09:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
WereBear, how do you take your 2000 mg of niacin? All at once? What time of day?

I do 1,000 mg twice a day, 10 AM & PM. With a 50 mg B complex chaser.

Done WONDERS for my sleep. Don't flush at all, just a tingle now and then. Which means I'm taking enough to keep stress byproducts at bay, according to what I've read so far.

I'm basing my procedures on the work of Dr. Abram Hoffer.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/niacinreviews.html

Chapter 7 covers niacinimide & arthritis. Plan to get the book, Niacin: The Real Story and will let you know!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 11:34
Experimenter

BF:

Awesome! I bought some regular niacin in 100mg form and I'll start trying to take that. Maybe start at 50mg each meal and see how badly I flush. I also ordered some niacinimide and b-complex. I suppose if I've had malabsorption for a while that could account for why niacin seem to be affecting me so positively.

On the gut-healing side of things, I'm now trying to remember to take DGL 20 minutes before I eat.

This week is duck week, or it will be once I actually cook the darn thing. I'm trying to keep rotating between proteins I ate only rarely.

I'm taking a trip to SC/NC next month, so I'll probably be back to eating eggs and dairy for a week or so. But tinned fish carries easily, so breakfast is completely covered!
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 08:13
Experimenter

BF:

Since I started this new diet, my sinuses have cleared up and my arthritis is vastly better.

From my tests it showed that cashews were one of my least reactive nuts so when I got hungry midday yesterday, I bought some. Within an hour I started having some very bad gas. Very mildly but less normal gastric stuff started happening. Then at bedtime my nose got congested. This morning, I'm stiffer than I have been.

They things you might just shrug off if you didn't realize that your symptoms are connected to food sensitivities.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
Since I started this new diet, my sinuses have cleared up and my arthritis is vastly better.

They things you might just shrug off if you didn't realize that your symptoms are connected to food sensitivities.

It was 15 years ago when my thumbs started being sensitive; which was where my dad's arthritis started. It was years later that it seemed to suddenly get worse, where I was being awakened in the middle of the night with frightful pain, and couldn't open any jars. Went gluten free.

Back to better than it was 15 years ago.

How much suffering is from eating the wrong food? I'm staggered.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 10:15
Experimenter

BF:

And really, how much suffering is caused because we're using NSAIDs and it makes us have reactions to the foods we eat because it makes our guts leak? Man... I wish I could take back the 2 years or so I took aleve every day.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 07:58
Experimenter

BF:

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I had a whoosh! I managed to forgo eating until 10:30am and then had my lamb and spinach, completely skipped my fish breakfast. Ate again around 4:30 and ate a lot.

All told on my anti-antigen diet I've lost 8 pounds. This reminds me of that book called "The False Fat Diet". How people figured out what they were intolerant to and then lost a lot of weight.

For those just tuning in, I have been stalled, and gaining, for years now. I had a food intolerance test and found out pretty much everything I was eating on LC, I was intolerant of. So now I'm eating fish for breakfast, lamb/duck/fish for lunch and dinner. I still eat veggies.

I used to ache in all my muscles when I'd stand up or get out of bed. That is gone. I also think my arthritis is a bit better.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 09:26

BF:

Quote:
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

A low carb, almond meal and flax biscuit perhaps

So pleased to hear of your progress!