Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 12:16

Plan: Mostly Atkins
Stats: 185/181/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default If I wanted to switch to Protein Power...

Hi,

As you can see I'm basically doing a modified Atkins plan (which actually means OWL I guess since I eat some nuts, flaxseed and things like that.)

I seem to be a bit stalled and I heard a few times now that people who stall on Atkins do well on Protein Power.

Which book do I need to buy to learn about this plan? I'm getting the impression that you eat X amount of protien for your weight and probably making yourself eat that much protien keeps you full longer than if you accidently, say, eat too much cheese, sour cream, and other fats on Atkins. I think I've slipped into that lately and that's probably why I've stalled.

I'm prediabetic so I have to stay in Ketosis or I feel awful - so I don't like the idea of adding fruit back in either which I think is allowed on this plan.

So I guess I"m just looking to modify my plan a bit and see what my options are. Any advice?

Last edited by RachelTN : Fri, Feb-29-08 at 15:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 12:23

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'd start with the Eades website and probably by PPLP (Protien Power Life Plan) which is their latest and greatest. Good luck, keep us updated on how it goes!
Chris
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Allowed is not required -- you don't have to eat any fruit. I can stay in ketosis without any problems on the first stage of PPLP, even when eating the small allowed amounts of berries and melons.

I recommend you pick up PPLP. I found I eat less on it than I did on Atkins, likely because of the increased amount of protein I was eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:44
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

PPLP is the most "user-friendly" I think and if you appreciate the principles you could also get by with the more recent super-simplified one they have...the 30-day LC Plan or something like that? Sorry I don't have the title. Checking out their website and reviewing some of the forum information there is good as well.

If your stats are correct, at 5'5" 162 lbs you should have 34g protein per meal. When you reach 155 it drops to 27g. Keep in mind this is from a simplified chart - the original PP had a calculation based on LBM if I recall correctly. Anyhow, this is a good goal to shoot for and I do admit it does help you to remember to eat sufficient protein, which I know I wasn't doing before.

Good luck with your transition - I know this is such a great way to eat in general but I also hope it helps with your stall!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 15:23

BF:

Ok after looking at the local library catelogs online and finding the only copy is out I went to amazon and ordered the paperback version for $10. So Looking forward to it.

For the protein requirement by weight - I don't want to be at this weight so do I do the protein requirement for the weight I want to be (i.e. 145, less really but I'll be quite thrilled to reach 145 for starters).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 15:52
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Nope, you must eat for the weight you ARE...the idea being you eat sufficient protein for your current mass, but would adjust down AS you lose the weight and jump to the next level. So, in your case 34g per meal for now and when you reach 155, then drop to 27g. And just so you know, I tend to approximate this for myself often especially since it came from a table as opposed to an exact calculation.

Great idea ordering a paperback for cheap - honestly it'll be worth it because you'll want to reference it time and time again for all kinds of things.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 16:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Nope, you must eat for the weight you ARE...the idea being you eat sufficient protein for your current mass, but would adjust down AS you lose the weight and jump to the next level. So, in your case 34g per meal for now and when you reach 155, then drop to 27g. And just so you know, I tend to approximate this for myself often especially since it came from a table as opposed to an exact calculation.

Great idea ordering a paperback for cheap - honestly it'll be worth it because you'll want to reference it time and time again for all kinds of things.

Ok great! My book comes Tuesday, but in the meantime I'll try to just eat closer to that amount. Humm, per meal? So like 3 times a day? It would almost be easier to figure on total protein per day including any snacks, etc. But the book will explain I'm sure. I love reading nutrition books so I'm excited to read a new one anyway.

Is that a DSLR in your photo? I just got mine a few months ago (Pentax) and I just love it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 18:20
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTN
Ok great! My book comes Tuesday, but in the meantime I'll try to just eat closer to that amount. Humm, per meal? So like 3 times a day? It would almost be easier to figure on total protein per day including any snacks, etc. But the book will explain I'm sure. I love reading nutrition books so I'm excited to read a new one anyway.

According to the book that is a "per meal" amount meaning yes, 3x/day. But I agree I've always thought it made better sense to come up with a daily amount and divide. As you'll read in the book you wouldn't want to eat a majorly huge portion at one time and nothing the rest of the day but then again I've had a steak dinner where I went a little overboard and it didn't do too much damage. I've often been a bit shy of the amount for one meal but made it up with snacks. Just like any other WOE you need to finesse it to work for you.

Quote:
Is that a DSLR in your photo? I just got mine a few months ago (Pentax) and I just love it.
Yes it is - Canon Rebel XT! My hubby and I are professional photographers. He has the much bigger gun...the Canon 1DS Mark II. But I use the XT because it fits my hands so well...plus with the right glass you can do amazing things. (Our web site is listed in my profile if you wanna take a look.) Good catch on the camera! That was taken last year just around the time I found out I was pregnant.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 08:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTN
My book comes Tuesday, but in the meantime I'll try to just eat closer to that amount. Humm, per meal? So like 3 times a day? It would almost be easier to figure on total protein per day including any snacks, etc.

Hi, RachelTN. Yes, 34g/meal is intended to be 102g protein per day. You can certainly divide up the total into more meals or between meals and snacks, but the idea is to spread the protein you eat throughout the day, not get it all at once.

Also, the important thing to remember about Protein Power is that the per-meal or per-day number is your recommended protein minimum. You can eat more than your minimum recommended protein amount, and if you're hungry, that's what the Drs. Eades recommend.

Hope this helps; have fun exploring the new book!