Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 19:48

Plan: any suggestions?
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 65in
BF:
Progress:
Default Is there any hope for losing weight?

Hi, My name is Kristin and was just diagnosed with PCOS last year. I have tried just about everything short of liposuction to lose weight,and there just doesn't seem to be any hope, except for the 10 pounds I keep losing over and over again. Please, if anybody has any ideas let me know. P.S. I've tried Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 04:39
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya I have severe PCOS and have managed with the help pf Metformin (which your dr should prescribe) to get down 50lbs.
I think there is hope - but you have to really want to do it. Excersise is important, but don't let that put you off. I haven't done any in the first year and it's only now I think i need to start in order for the weight to come off again.
I think you should look into either giving atkins a go again, and making sure you either read the site www.atkins.com or read the book. Or do some research on here about south beach diet or others that could also help you lose.
You can do it (i'm living proof) but you have to really want to. Thats the key.
Emma xx
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 07:11

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Hi Kmlynn,

What have you been doing to lose the weight? Have you had success with any certain thing? And are you excercising? I have been diagnosed with it too and am sure its been around a long time with me. I do atkins, changing somewhat towards low carb in general. But, I have noticed that I hardly ever lose weight without taking that 1 mile or 1 mile walk each day!!! You may want to look into Insulin Resistance. That is my next big research project. I am so ready to start losing again myself!

I am here for you!
Jimsbride
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 09:08

Plan: any suggestions?
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 65in
BF:
Progress:

Thank you guys for the inspiration. Can you tell me about metaformin? My doctor started me on the pill last year and all it did was make me gain weight. I asked him about glucophage, but he said that he put his patients who are trying to have children on that. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 12:56

I am sorry, but I have no info for you. I may be starting it for the first time this coming week. I have heard alot of good things about it though. Especially that it causese weightloss. I am kinda looking forward to starting it.

Don't give up! There is a time for your loss!

Jimsbride
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 04:41

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%
Default You may have to count cals

When I first tried Atkins, I didn't lose much weight, it stalled for like three months. I had only lost about six pounds. I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but have all the symptoms and was put on the pill which makes it tough. I am going to see an endocrinologist hopefully. But I've had a history of severely detrimental eating habits from anorexia to bulimia to COE and now currently bulimia. I found out Atkins wasn't working because I am one of the few people that can eat six steaks and still be hungry (being a former anorexic and COE, my eating patterns are so disordered even when my stomach is full, my head says more...) I've talked to other people to that said the plan only worked for them when they counted calories under sixteen hundred. I lost fifteen pounds when I counted cals under 1200 started then I fell off the wagon when the holidays rolled around and I'm trying to get back on track. L-Carnitine helped me to. Try looking into vitamins. There are some women out there with PCOS who jumpstarted their weightloss without metformin but with vitamins. Atkins highly recommends vitamins for weightloss, and it was his reference to L-Carnitine that helped me lose weight and it controls my appetite when I pay attention to my appetite and not my mind, it works best with alphalipoic acid. I don't believe PCOS makes weightloss impossible. My cousin was 220 pounds and without any medications at all, she got down to below 170 just doing Atkins alone, but quickly regained when she turned to her old eating habits. I don't want to underestimate the effects hormones have on weight, but I would deffinitely prefer vitamins over medication, and try those options first. I am also currently taking large doses of folic acid to metabolize estrogen. It seems to be helping since when I take it, my hirsutism is controlled better, and i never have taken it long enough to see if it can cure it. (one woman on soulcysters said it cleared up like 70%). Plus, look for stress factors in your life as they totally effect my eating patterns and waist line.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 04:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/210/154 Female 5 ft 9"
BF:
Progress: 11%

My friend has PCOS and like you tried everything to lose weight, she tried the atkins and had minor success, WW non whatsoever, but with slimming world she did it, by sticking to mainly red days (which is a mainly protein with wholemeal carbohydrate products).

I hope this helps and wish you every success on your weight loss journey
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 09:31

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlynn
Thank you guys for the inspiration. Can you tell me about metaformin? My doctor started me on the pill last year and all it did was make me gain weight. I asked him about glucophage, but he said that he put his patients who are trying to have children on that. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Ask your DR. to run a fasting Insulin test on you. A C-Peptide is a good test. If your insulin comes back high it would indicate you are very probably insulin resistant and would qualify you for Metformin (glucaphage).

Are you still on BC pills? Because your Dr. is right, Metformin does help those who are tring to conceive. If you do not want to concieve you need to use some sort of birth control.

I lose weight really well on Metformin. The majority of patients do. There are however a small minority that do not lose well. Usually this group of individuals do not have a lot to lose to begin with. Those with true insulin resistance lose well. It increased my weight loss from 1/2 pound a week to 2-3 pounds a week. Which is great for ongoing weight loss.

There are a few side effect of Metformin such as gastrointestinal bloating and diarrhea. Not fun
But many people get over these side effects after a few weeks. I like some people never get over the side effects. So it's a catch 22 with me. I have to decide if I want the help of the drug with the nasty side effects or, go back to 1/2 pd. week weight loss. So I put up with it because I know the drug is helping me.

So call your Dr. and see if he would be willing to run a C-Peptide on you to check for insulin resistance.
Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 11:26

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

When I went on glucophage, I cut the pills down and gradually increased the dosage every couple of days and that helped alot with the side effects. I does help, I started it before I started low carbing and my doctor was the one that suggested that I LC. I choose TSP because she emphasizes the need to heal the body and balance all hormones to get healthy, it can be slower and more frustrating, but it worked for me and now I'm expecting my 4th baby, this one without being on glucophage because I'm still nursing. LC really can heal the body, but you have to realize it may not be an overnight fix, it can take time for the healing to occur before weight loss happens, all part and parcel of the weighloss factor. You may also may be more resistant to weight loss because of your history, I would, never, never suggest cutting calories below 2000 a day, your body will go into starvation mode and sabatoge everything that LC is about. IT sounds like you need to increase your fats, that helps more than you would believe possible.
Tanya
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 18:51

After an over 2 month stall, I have lost 4.5 pounds in 3 days. NEW pounds! Ones never lost before. I started metformin and spino and stopped the bc pills. I instantly felt it dropping off of me. I sure hope this keeps going. But won't be disappointed if it doesnt. Also, I quit counting carbs and entering everyting into fitday. I am just low carbing it.

Hugs,
Jimsbride
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 18:45

Stats: 263/228/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have never been able to lose weight on the pill. You may want to adjust the kind of pill you are using to see the effect the hormones are having on you and on your blood sugar.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 08:03

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:

I was put on Metformin, started taking it Wednesday...today's Sunday. I was LCing it and stalled after the first two weeks - the scale had not moved in five weeks. I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm down FIVE POUNDS. I'll take the side effects for a couple of weeks if it means the scale's moving again!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 08:58

Stats: 263/228/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Susan,

I'll share with you what no one told me for four years. Continuing to LC while taking the met will significantly reduce the side effects. Apparently met works by "flushing" excess carbs from the body. You can imagine what a high-carb diet will do when you are taking the met. I had such bad stomach cramps and diarreha that I actually called 911 once.

Anyway, a nurse finally told me this week to LC while taking the met. I restarted my meds Monday, haven't been sick at all and have lost six pounds. Just wish someone might have mentioned this to me sooner.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 11:50

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:

This is good to hear, thanks JD! My RE frowned at me when I told him I was following Atkins and said he wanted to "look at my cholesterol first". I didn't understand why he would be against it since he had JUST said to stay away from refined sugars and starches. My cholesterol was fine, so I've been trucking along.

I tell ya, I called the doctor the second day I took met...stomach pain and diarrhea something awful. The nurse (a sweetheart) said it's normal, which I would've known if I'd done my homework before calling, but that's beside the point. Anyway, if LC reduces the side effects, I can't begin to imagine the side effects without LC...wowsa. It's some mean stuff!