Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#691   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 05:26

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

You are not far from my thoughts Jaz. I hope the night passed quietly and that things are looking better this morning.

Nic.....so odd about your sense of taste. It is possible to get "C" even after being vaccinated, but you shouldn't have a bad case. Keep us posted. Have a nice day with your birthday girl.

Trig.....what's happening in NC?

Gabby is doing ok. Still "gimpy", but eating and seems happy. She slept at my feet all night, so managed to jump up on our relatively high bed ok. She is now on my lap purring like a chainsaw. When I leave for the course, she'll go upstairs to the spare room where she has a hiding place somewhere in there where she sleeps the day away.

My golfing partner just texted me that we're playing with another girl from the course today. I don't really know her well.....just know she's a big hitter. That is sometimes intimidating to me and I try to keep up......that never works out. I just need to play within my abilities and not try to keep up with a strong young girl in her 30's. I'm hoping to play better today than yesterday. OY...yesterday was a train wreck for both me and my partner. Today has to be better, right? Hello?

Have a day!
Sponsored Links
  #692   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 06:15

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, ahhh you aren't a trainwreck on the course I bet....you are too hard on you LOL remember your goal, enjoy golf with a smile right?

Glad Gabby is improving. I tell ya, our pets!

Nicco nice to hear Sophie is coming around also. That is great news.
Happy DD birthday to her!
very weird on no taste issue, yea could be covid? isn't that one of the big things for it? not sure but hope that improves....taste on our food is like, everything! Let us know on that one~!

Jaz, glad Bella is home and doing better. I tell ya Bolt I swear was on death's door when he ate that chili dog and cheetos. He was SO sick for like a week where a few days he would vomit, would not move at all and a few times I swore he was one step from dying. Vet did give him fluid bag, nausea meds and I don't remember but it cost alot of money and I had to carry him out to the grass to pee and he would pee lying down. Wouldn't get up.....I tell ya it can be very scary.

Let her come around slow and then boom....they are better. It was like Bolt went to be sick one night and next day, bouncing fine dog and I was like, WTH? but happy.

So hang in there!

----------------nothing doing
busy doing this and that stuff that is getting on my nerves. still slowly cleaning/decluttering the garage and barns. Grab this and that and ditch and EVER so slowly space is coming back! Tony took over the little one car garage I have on the side of the house and packed it with 'his crap' and slowly I am ditching it all LOL I am stealthy at it, he hasn't noticed too much just yet....next to go....his bag of dove hunting decoys. Shhhh, when they disappear he won't discover for a long time but when he does-----you can hear me saying, I have no clue! I didn't touch them. HAHA Tough!

eating is good
I can easily control butter. I just dumped big butter on everything, now I am 'controlling it' and I don't even notice the diff. I can cook a steak in 1/2 stick of butter or just cut 'a pat' and no diff to me at all truly.....but I know I saved like 3-400 kcals using the smaller amt. So will just keep experimenting on me a bit. very slow, no rush.

NY Strip today with shrimp
not sure if anything else, got a bloaty feeling going down so might just chill and watch heavier eating today

be good
  #693   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 07:37

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey all-
I got some sleep last night. No vomiting - first in 3 days, still holding vigil.

Trig- I am doing the same thing with Bella- carrying her outside to pee and still giving her fluids via spring. But the thing is she IS sleeping ALOT- But when she is awake she is alert and seems happy. So I am just waiting this out. I am hopeful she will be like Bolt and just wake up and all is well.

You got some nice weather going on! Did you ever take your mom out?

I hear ya on trying to lighten things up a tad! You might need a SLIGHT tweak. But seriously think where you were at this time last year!
Any thoughts of when you might open your pool?

Nic- I truly would get Covid tested! Loss of taste and smell is sometimes the ONLY symptoms people have. If you are positive you would be contagious. It might be helpful to know. I think know the drug stores are selling DYI kits where you spit in a cup and it turns color if positive. You could look into that?!?!?!?

VERY VERY happy to hear Sophie is come around and bounced back!
Are you going to your DD today for her birthday?

Lori- you really put a smile on my face about the 30 yr playing with you! I am sure you play a tough game and age has nothing to do with it. So you just go and ENJOY your game!

Sounds like your Gabby might have pulled a muscle. I think she will be ok!!!
---------------------------------------------------
Just hang tight. It has been a rough week emotionally, physically and financially, and yet here we are. Yesterday I would have said yes it is her "time" today- not so sure.

I have no more tears- they are all cried out. I am now holding strong and in a mode of if these vets did nothing for me- I mean NOTHING except take my money. Then I will do everything in my power to nurse her back.
If she makes a comeback- I will kiss the ground. If she is tired and needs to pass I will comfort her and make her comfortable. I seriously do not know which way this is going. Except I will not be "aggressive" with her at 12.

Other than that- I did not eat yesterday- so the scale dropped 3 pounds.
I am still not even hungry.

I am going to go to the store to get some bone broth for her and some fish for me. I know I have to eat.

I also have some work stuff to get organized that will help me next week. That will suck up most of my afternoon.
Pretty here........... I have the screen porch door open for some fresh air.

check back in later
  #694   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 08:27

BF:

Jazz I went thru it. I thought Bolt was a goner he was SO sick and from what the vet told me it is a vicious issue for ALL, not just dogs yet we as humans adapt better cause we are 'used to crap' but animals are 'FED' or 'woof down who knows what' when they shouldn't and it can kill. Thru me for a loop LOL but that support ya paid for from the vet is key cause while I knew time would make or break this, that little the vet did on meds for him helped support.............give her time. And then control her food point blank after and give her the scheduled food etc as she needs and thrives. That is what I did on mine.

She WILL BE OK! Strong gals don't go down easy, just ask her mom HAHA

they 'need to sleep it out' literally cause all those days Bolt wouldn't move I thought, he is done for but it is just a recovery and you have to give her just that....time

sending hugs and prayers and I KNOW she will do fine

Bolt came thru it and your Bella will too!!
  #695   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 10:24

BF:

I am knocking on some wood............ Truly and I pray this is not premature. wishing for the prayer emoji

But I have been googling as you can imagine. The vets both gave me nothing except a big AZZ bill. Whatever, moving on.

So I came across a fur baby mom who's dog was CRITICALLY ill.
So did not give up. She did the bone broth too...... BUT she added organic pureed baby food chicken. Nothing but pure organic pureed chicken.
So I just got back from the store with bone broth and baby food ( I found exactly what she bought) 3 jars. I said treat and Bella slowly came into the kitchen but her eyes lit up with the smell of the baby food.

I put about little less than table spoon and she woofed it up. Then I measured out 1/4 c. bone broth- zero carbs/ organic/ no additives, onions or Garlic- just pure chicken bones.
She licked the bowl and wanted more.

Her belly looks bloated from it- but she (knocking on wood) is keeping it down. She is now resting- breathing yes a bit labored- but she seems comfortable and content to have had something. She was hungry. AWESOME sign.
Again- baby steps in recovery.

I never would have thought about baby food. But she sure LOVED it like it was the best thing she ever had. She kept licking her lips. She is worn out from eating. So now is nap time.........Then I will carry her out side in about an hour.

This momma has some work to do. I feel good taking my eyes off her for a second. but she is at my feet anyway.
  #696   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 16:51

BF:

Bro Rich called. Bro Gregg took mom to the hospital.
dizzy when standing and ankles swelling up a bit.

Called Gregg and he said they are admitting and gonna do a gazillion tests cause they can and since she is 93 they do push the tests LOL

Talked to Mom and she is fine, talking great, no worries at all and she said don't come to hosp., she will get room and I can call her later.

spoke to Gregg and he said her ankles are not that bad but he didn't like the dizzy when standing kinda thing so he figured why not hit the hosp and see.........poor mom, she is like bored already waiting to get a room.

will check in tonight with her and all....but so far so good but hoping things don't go south in any way, but right now she sounds perfect. Old age and blood pressure? or? no idea just yet.

JAZZ, sending tons of hugs and prayers for Bella! I am so sorry!

Last edited by Whirrlly : Sun, May-02-21 at 17:05.
  #697   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 03:19

BF:

OK I am first poster today- It is 4:50 AM and I am out of tears. Truly.
I am going to have my beloved Bella put down today. She is really suffering. I think the hardest was to have to listen to her gasping for air all night. The putting her to sleep at this point is a blessing. I never thought I would say that.

I think she had to "get me ready"- dogs are smart. They know what their humans need. I was not ready 2 days ago- maybe I was but just needed it UP IN MY FACE how sick she really has become.

I think she has been ill for a minute and I choose to chalk it up to old age. Ya know we all get there. She is just leaving before me.

Trig- You are your mother daughter for sure! She told you to never mind she will "get a room and call ya later"- That almost had me laughing. Almost! But I do hope they find out what is going on with your mom!
Do keep us updated for sure.

Get out side today before the rains come. We are going to get it for 3 days I heard!
It's coming.........

Lori- how did your game go? updates...........

NIC- need updates on DD birthday. Also what happened with that lack of taste and smell??????Did you get tested?

Blue- you are missed!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am really ok. Sad yes- ok yes. I did everything I could have for my girl. I am blessed to have had almost 12 years with her. I loved her enough to not want to see her suffer.

I am taking today off -even though my boss is not really happy. I called her last night- and told her I just can't "take an hour" put my dog down and go back to work.
IT DOESN'T work that way. That is what she wanted me to do!!!! NOT!

I am going to sit at the beach for awhile and just be.

I need to think about packing this place up- and get ready, rather than waiting until the last minute.

My new apt. is on the 3 floor. It is bright and new. I am thankful that I will have a new start- as hard as it will be. I have not been truly by myself since I was 16.
I was with my ex then, then married, and then kids, and then boyfriend and Bella.
It will be different for sure.

I think not talking about it is worse than talking. People get all weird about stuff. This is life ya know and it isn't all ponies and roses.

I have lost 6 pounds this week- wow. Not in a good way. But I guess it is better than stuffing my face ya know.

I know need to turn the focus on getting myself back to taking great care of me. That is the very best medicine anyone can give to ones self.

Well- I got to get on with my day. Today is today and tomorrow will be better.

This post is dedicated to a bright little spirit that I have been blessed to have had in my life. She has made me a better person. For that I am forever grateful.
  #698   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 03:45

BF:

Good Morning,

Jaz.....holding you close to my heart today. You are doing the very best for your Bella.....no dog has ever been loved more and I know she loved you too. I love the saying "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". Of course there will be tears at first, but I hope those tears will turn to smiles as you remember all your adventures with your girl. You've had so many good years together. I'm glad you're taking some time today to sit on the beach and just be.

Trig....Hope Mom is doing ok this morning. It is good that they admitted her and will do some tests to rule out any big problems. Keep us posted.

Nic....I'm sure DD's bday was fun. Was she surprised by her PB racket? Will you soon be able to resume playing? Hope your DH is feeling better with his stomach issues. How about you? Still no taste? Odd for sure.

---------

We had a beautiful day on the golf course yesterday. The skies cleared and it was just gorgeous....and warm! 80 degrees! Now we have several days of showers and cooler temps. We won't see 80's again this week. We're going to play on Thursday morning for our next round.

The scale jumped up 1.5 lbs since yesterday! What?? I do feel quite stiff and sore this morning, so I think it's just from that. It's certainly not fat! I'll spend the next couple days trying to drink lots of water and controlling my calories. I'll do some nice, gentle Pahla B. workouts to just move a bit. I have a mountain of laundry to tackle and I have to go to Betty's and change her bed sometime today. Also have to run to the post office and maybe some other errands. Just a nice, whatever day.

Pan frying some Icelandic Haddock tonight for dinner. Yum. It is one of our favorite meals.

Biggest of hugs to you all! (((Hugs)))

Last edited by Lori_:) : Mon, May-03-21 at 07:21.
  #699   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 08:29

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Wow, there is a lot going on yesterday and today on the thread.

Jaz, you of course have been on my mind the past couple of days. I can hear that you are hurting but you know it is time and you are doing the right thing. That surety is a blessing for sure. Take today to rest and be, like you said. Absolutely the right thing to do. Know you are being held today in my thoughts.

Trig, I just read about your Mom today- I missed it yesterday. I hope she is doing all right and maybe her salts were off or her bp was dropping a bit. Hopefully all is well today. Please let us know.

Lori, sounds like maybe some inflammation is going on with you today? I think I am going to do a Paula B workout as well. That just sounds good. My neck is a little tight and I need some movement to loosen up the kinks.

Blue- Hugs and hope all is well.

•••••••••••••

So my sense of taste has been coming back. I probably jumped the gun on getting the C19 test done but better safe than sorry. The Dr seemed to think I was perfectly fine and had told me I didn't need to quarantine unless it came back positive but he expected it would not. I'm not too concerned but I'll be glad to see a clear test result anyway.

Today I need to figure the week's menu and get shopping done. I have a relatively busy week by C19 standards and then we are beach bound this weekend! I will be there until the following Wednesday.

DD had a good birthday, I think. Lots of activities with friends which is great. I am not a big birthday person overall- I think they are for kids and then milestone decade birthdays after that. She is more like my Mom, really likes birthdays and sort of being a star. lol I'm glad she had people doing stuff with her. I think some of that fades out once you have a family and kids.

She did like her racket and her cake. My Mom spoiled that surprise by telling her about it which is so dumb. I swear I can't tell her anything at all. She told my youngest there was no Santa Claus. I was so mad. ugh.

Not much else to report. Jaz, I'll be thinking of you today.
  #700   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 14:28

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey Lori, I did a Pahla workout today. It was the 20 some odd minutes cardio. I tell ya, that girl can talk and talk and talk. OMG! It was fun but by the time I was done I felt like I had been stuck on the phone with my stepsister!
  #701   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 15:09

BF:

Oh Nic.....I know what you mean! The first time I did one of her videos, I thought "There is NO way I can stand this". Now.....I look forward to it and the 20+ minutes goes by quickly. Don't give up on her!
  #702   ^
Old Tue, May-04-21, 04:11

BF:

THANKS for the well wishes everyone!

So far so good.

Mom is in high spirits, having a mini vacation in the hosp. and enjoying it actually.

still waiting for final Dr chat and reading ekg/echo, sonogram results etc.

Rehab has her walking up and down flights of stairs! They want her to join a gym LOL They said she needs to move more! Movement is life! So yea we all need to move more, heck I know I do but Nicco and Lori I see are doing exercise now and I think I need to join in also more on this part of my life.

back later to chat. she will probably get discharged today but have to see what is going down on it all.

Sending big hugs to Jazz!

be good everyone
  #703   ^
Old Tue, May-04-21, 04:38

BF:

Good morning-
Thank you ladies for your kind support- I can feel it. Boy I tell ya, yesterday has to rank up up there with one of the worst I have had.

But I will get through it. I tell ya though the vet is about 2 blocks from here. I wanted to jump into my car all day and "go get her" and bring her back. but of course I did want the suffered pup- I wanted my healthy Bella.

I didn't realize just how much energy I had been putting into her. from syringe feeding her water every hour to literally carrying her everywhere the last the week. It took a huge amount of time.

This morning it struck me I could just roll out of bed and drink coffee without having to get dressed right away to carry her out. I could "just drink coffee".

Nic- You had me smiling at your post about those videos being chatty! I think that is funny. Did you like the work out? I know I have to start something. Truly now that I do have more time- I should use it wisely!!!!! Really when you think about it 30 minutes every day is nothing really. Especially when you consider the amount of time we waste just hanging out.

I am glad you tried it!
Yea- Very interesting about your taste and smell. I'm glad you consulted your doctor. Sounds like you are good to go. Is hubby feeling better?

Lori- So glad you love your game! Sounds like you have a nice day yesterday getting stuff done!
It's nice when you can just putter around at your pace!
How is Betty doing?

Trig- How is your mom doing? I mom hopeful all is well!!!! Updates please!!!!! I am sure Your Bro is helping with it all too!!!!

Blue- Hi!!!!!
----------------------------------------------
Not much else -
After I left the Vets yesterday I drove to the beach. It was really hot here yesterday and humid. I didn't realize how weak I was after not sleeping or eating for 3/4 days.
I struggling to walk far in that heat.

I ended up cutting it short and then went to get the car ready. It needed an oil change, Tires pumped and a car wash. She is sparkling new with all that pollen gone!

Then I got back here and started packing and throwing stuff away.
I could put stuff on the floor because pup would get into it. Now that I can put stuff on the floor I am starting to move stuff by the door so that I can grab and go.

Fingers crossed that the cable people do come on Sat. I will be leaving here about 10:00. At least that is my goal, if not earlier. I will put the bike on last. I don't leave my bike outside. The humidity is like water in the air and it will rust out a bike in no time flat.

Well.......... I emptied out the fridge yesterday and packed up my kitchen stuff as I have no desire to cook right now. But I might just pull out the big pot and make a batch of LC chili and eat on it for a couple days and that will be easy pease and cheaper! Yea- that is what I will do.

Ok- I really need to put my nose to the grind workwise today! My manager was SO NOT HAPPY I called off yesterday. I really don't care. My well being comes before any job. I am to that point in life!

Ok all- Just going to get through today.
  #704   ^
Old Tue, May-04-21, 04:44

BF:

Trig- just read your post! YAY on Mom!!!!!!!
I bet you she has the Silver Sneakers program through Medicare. It is a FABULOUS program and free for seniors!!!!!!!
Do check it out - free gym access plus they work with her!

Something to think about.
  #705   ^
Old Tue, May-04-21, 05:01

BF:

Good Morning!

Jaz....so glad to see a post from you this morning. I know you could feel us all holding you close yesterday. I hope you were able to get some rest last night and that today you can begin to fuel yourself with some good food. Take care of you!

Trig...good news about Mom! Sounds like they have her movin' & groovin'! Awesome! Hope all the final tests come back good.

Nic...My favorite Pahla workouts are the cardio toning where you use light dumbbells and do lots of different cardio moves. She's also big on balance moves, which is so important for all of us.

-------

More chores and errands on tap for me today. It rained all night and it was awesome to have the bedroom window open to listen to the gentle rain. Puts me to sleep! Gabby got me up at 3 and then I went back to bed till after 6. DH just left for work so I have some peace & quiet. He was a chatterbox this morning.

I didn't get a Pahla workout in yesterday, so have to do that today. My workout yesterday was just going up and down the stairs doing laundry.

Have good days!