Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 07:43

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Substitution needed

Hi, Karen! I would like to make the flax muffins but I'm wondering if there is a substitute for the whey protein isolate because I'm having trouble finding it in something that isn't a gargantun size and expensive (used for protein shakes). I'm also a little concerned about the possiblity of gluten in the product? I'm baking and cooking today for meals for the next couple of weeks (my freezer is empty!) while my daughter is at the sitter's house and wondering if something on my shelf might work. THANKS!! How was your trip to Hong Kong???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 10:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've made them with soy protein isolate. You might try soy flour, though I can't vouch for it.

Pure, whey protein isolate doesn't contain anything but whey protein isolate.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:50

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Hi, I'm real new, and not sure how to go about contacting Karen, so maybe this will do it? ANyway, Karen, I found this site by getting your cookbook. I want to let you know that in the 2 weeks I've had the book, I've probably tried close to 2 dozen of your recipes, some of them more than once. We've had company twice. Rave reviews from all. Noone even asked "where's the bread?"--just "can I get this recipe?" I'm getting another book for my sister-in-law. Her husband is diebetic. I already got my sister a copy (she's diebetic too). There's no reason to think going without sugar and white flour means non-exciting meals!! Thank you, Gail
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 06:09

BF:

I have to echo Gail's sentiment. One of my students is on the South Beach Diet and I told her to grab the book. I teach Cultural Geography and I will sometimes bring in food to sample (okay, I brought in the Crispy Chocolate and Black Pepper Shortbread from "Second Anyone?" By either MArgerat Chisholm or Glyns Morgan but I'm going to attempt the conversion this weekend). It gets them out of their comfort zone a bit. Food and music - we all need to eat and we all enjoy music. Great transcenders of cultural understanding. Some students have this notion that "not being able to have something" is a tragedy. If I looked at it like that, I would be sorely depressed all the time. When I go back to look at my other recipe books, I find happily that many of the favorite entrees needs no conversion or substitutions but some do need a bit of tweaking. Some recipes had to be ditched completely. My next big attempt??? Sugar-free, wheat-free Nanaimo bars!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:03
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
THANKS!! How was your trip to Hong Kong???
It was great! Thanks for asking. I was happy to find out that green tea Hagen Daaz no longer has any power over me.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:09
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I want to let you know that in the 2 weeks I've had the book, I've probably tried close to 2 dozen of your recipes, some of them more than once. We've had company twice. Rave reviews from all.
Thanks Gail, I posted in your Journal.

If everyone who likes the book posts a review on amazon.com or amazon.ca it would thrill me to no end! If the sales are good with this book, that means that there will probably be a LC Gourmet 2. I'm developing new recipes all the time and they need a home.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 16:50

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
If everyone who likes the book posts a review on amazon.com or amazon.ca it would thrill me to no end! If the sales are good with this book, that means that there will probably be a LC Gourmet 2. I'm developing new recipes all the time and they need a home.

Done! I hope you do end up releasing a second low carb book!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 19:07
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Luke!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 07:16

BF:

OO!!OOO!!!!!! Pick me !!!! I'll taste test for the second book!!! Okay, so logistics would be an issue but I'll be in Vancouver in July!!! I haven't tackled those wheat-free, sugar-free Nanaimo bars yet...just a thought!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 00:36

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Karen, I did post a review for your book with Amazon.com.--I'm still talking about it to different friends who like to cook. Even ones who don't low carb are interested in good no-sugar desserts. And interesting--I started out adding a little more sweetener than you called for in the desserts until this last week. Now I seem to be tasting sweetness more. Yay, I'm sure that's a good sign!--Gail