Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 13:53

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 175/175/160
BF:27%
Progress: 0%
Default schwarzbein principle vs sommersizing

Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I have read the Schwarzbein Principle and Susan's Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away. I have found that SP is about balancing where as Sommersizing is more about food combination.

I have been trying both methods at once but it doesn't work. At home, my fiance wants both carbs and fats... I sometimes am tempted for nice baked potatoes with my chicken or even steak... with SP this is ok if I add veggies to it, yet with Sommersizing this is a big no no.

I am confused which way I should go... any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 15:13

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Asking people in this thread will probably get you the answer I'm giving you: Go with Schwarzbein!

But also, you said it in your own post, "I have found that SP is about balancing." You should always strive for balance. In addition, TSP is about making this WOE a WOL. You will find it can work into your lifestyle very easily, with fewer special accomodations.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 08:32

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Somersizing and TSP are two incompatible diets. You have to choose one or the other. One thing that is important in TSP is to NEVER eat carbs alone. This will spike your insulin. I understand that Somersizing recommends eating carbs alone on an empty stomach. This is the old principle of food combining, which has a theory of proper digestion behind it, but no real science. TSP is based on basic physiology. I also respect the opinions of an endocrinologist more than those of a bad actress and thighmaster spokeswoman. But as Deb pointed out, this is the Schwartzbein forum.

As far as being practical, I have found that TSP meals are balanced and healthy and seem like "normal" meals. My husband barely notices I'm on a controlled carb diet. A typical meal for us would be beef/chicken/fish with a grain or starchy vegetable, a non-starchy cooked vegetable and a salad - all topped with butter or olive oil and full-fat salad dressing. Since I am on maintenance I also have some fruit with heavy cream for dessert. Occasionally I even have regular ice cream.

Good luck in whichever diet you choose.

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 08:53

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 175/175/160
BF:27%
Progress: 0%

Thank you Debbie and Jen,
I agreed with Jen, in that it makes sense trusting an endocrynologist then an actrees, as Susan has got her diet regime from the Scwarzbien Principle.

So I made a conscious decision to stay with jsut Schwarzbien and see what happens. I picked some great ideas for meals and lunches so I am excited.

I have another question, how about going camping with 14 people where 5 are veggitearean and 4 are elders who would eat only chunky or cambell soup - these have so much perservatives and sugars and I don't want to eat this... any suggestions? Thank you
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: 6-12-12
Stats: 184.5/175/120 Female 5 feet
BF:way too much!
Progress: 15%

Funny thing, Suzanne, is now singing the praises of Dr. Schwartzbein. I wonder if she abandoned her food combining diet.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 22:01

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Wow, a thread from 2002, I was shocked to see some of the names pop up from before.

Marty