Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/169/140
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Actual Carb Count for Ross Chocolates?

Quote:
Originally posted by Deirdre
I buy lots of other kinds of sugar free chocolate in the area that I'm sure is just as good and just as low carb if you subtract the maltitol grams, which is what Ross does.

Does anyone know what the actual carb count is for Ross chocolates? They don't list any nutritional info except the amount of Maltitol.

Lori
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 11:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Ross' Chocolate Bars

I found this site which does list the nutritional info:

http://www.rosschocolates.com/info.php

Bonnie
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default Tks, Quite a Different Carb Count than Listed

Tks so much for the info.

I just used the carb count tool and found out that my favourite Ross bar (Mint Chocolate) has 13.9 carbs versus the 3.0 listed. Sneaky little devils! Well that would definitely account for the occasional stalls when I overindulge in what I thought were really low carb treats.

I don't really want to know, but suppose I should now recalculate the protein bars I love so much (Optimum Nutrition's Chocolate Banana).

Tks again,

Lori
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is a hidden carb calculator, right on this site. Click Tools in teh red bar above.

Karen
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi Lori

If you click on "Tips" on the red menu bar, you can check out an article on Sugar Alcohols that explains maltitol, sorbitol and other sweeteners that aren't quite sugar, but are carbohydrates nonetheless.

I tend to avoid the sugar-free sweets, but once in a great while, I do indulge. The chance of triggering sweet cravings for carbier foods is very real, as is the laxative effect of some of these chemicals. Use with care.

Doreen
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default Great Tool

Yes, that's what I used - a great (albeit a little upsetting since the count is higher. MUCH higher) tool not to mention site. I am so glad to have found it.

Cheers,

Lori
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 17:20

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I tried these bars over the last few weeks. Every single one gave me a sugar buzz - a light-headed, trembling, gotta-go-lie-down feeling. I had already done the hidden carb exercise and found that they are all well over 10 carbs a bar. They aren't even all that big or all that good, so what is the point?

From now on, if I indulge, I'll stick to homemade chocolate treats made with unsweetened baker's chocolate. The chocolate-coated almonds are as good as it gets.

P.S. Doreen - also a seriously painful half hour spent in the bathroom in the middle of the night. Never again!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Kay, don't know if you saw my journal today .. yesterday I indulged in some of the Russell Stover sugar-free peanut butter cups, sweetened with maltitol. Ohhh!! My poor bloated belly and yes, in the bathroom or stretched out on the couch in misery all night. And I too felt intoxicated, sluggish and very sleepy after eating. It's not the chocolate either, since I use cocoa with no problem. And I'm not diabetic either.

Use these sugar-alcohol products with caution .... and I particularly suggest this for folks who want to give them as sugar-free "treats" for children. These chemicals may be derived from food (usually corn or barley), but by the time they leave the laboratory, they're not food anymore! ..

Doreen
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 20:42

BF:

Doreen, I am glad you mentioned that side effect. I probably wouldn't have made the connection without reading your post. I have been under the weather for at least three days since. It sure isn't worth it.

I hope you are feeling better now. We live and learn, don't we? (At least we can streamline the process - we learn from each other!)
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default Triggered Cravings

I also get quite a bit of gas when I eat Ross chocolate, fortunately not the double over kind some of you folks get. (I try to have some when I'm on my own, not going out LOL). I haven't noticed the other symptoms thank goodness, but having read this thread I think eating protein bars and/or chocolate bars is actually triggering cravings. I had been using them in moderation, but was under a lot of stress a few weeks back and started to eat them on a more regular basis. And the more regularly I have these, the more I seem to want (fortunately the side effects keep that in check, but it makes it harder to stick with this WOE).

I haven't done a lot of baking with Baker's chocolate. Obviously you don't get the side effects of gas etc., but I would be interested to hear if this kind of treat tends to trigger cravings or not. One of the main things I like about LC eating is not having cravings and not feeling starved all the time.

TIA

Lori
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 09:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I haven't done a lot of baking with Baker's chocolate. Obviously you don't get the side effects of gas etc., but I would be interested to hear if this kind of treat tends to trigger cravings or not.

For me it does. I used to make a pan of LC toasted almond chocolate and eat the whole thing in an evening. The next day, I'd make another. And on and on...

But, YMMV.

Karen
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 10:51

BF:

I know about cravings. Believe me, I would never do anything to bring them back! Horrible monsters!!!!

I can eat one or two homemade chocolate almond clusters and feel completely satisfied. I usually keep them on hand in the freezer because the only time I really “need” one is TOM. But then, I have never been a big chocolate fan. As Karen says, it’s an individual thing.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 07:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sweets and Cravings

Knowing the true carb count of the protein bars and chocolate bars I've been eating has definitely curbed my cravings thank goodness. I thought I had an extremely low tolerance for carbs and now find I've been eating far more than I thought. Yahoo! I've been plugging all kinds of things into the carb calculator (a truly helpful tool) over the last day or so - what a difference. I love this site!

I'm going to go and buy some almonds and Baker's chocolate and give them a whirl, although I will be careful since I suspect anything sweet, chocolate in particular, is likely to cause cravings for me. It will be nice to have a snack I can eat when others are around LOL (i.e., no gas producing Maltitol).

Tks for the input,

Lori
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 09:07

BF:

Lori, do you have a recipe? Here is the one I've been using. I notice that the method is similar to Karen's chocolate truffles which, no doubt, are superb - also, some tips, so you'll want to read it before you proceed. http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe025.html

Almond Clusters

Servings: 24

3 unsweetened baking chocolate squares
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 cup splenda, granular
1/4 teaspoon stevia
2 cups roasted almonds

Melt chocolate and butter together in top of double boiler. Mix sweetener and warm cream together. Stir into melted chocolate. Stir in nuts. Drop into 24 clusters on waxed paper.

carbohydrates 3.5
fibre 1.6
effective carbohydrates 1.9
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 20:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default Trying the Recipe Tomorrow

I was just looking around for it and hadn't unearthed it yet so yours was a really timely email - tks! If it wasn't so late, I'd try making a batch. However, tomorrow will do I suppose. Is the Stevia just to make the recipe a little sweeter? I only picked up Splenda today. Also, what is the difference between "carbs" (3.5) and "effective carbs" (1.9)?

Tks again for the recipe,

Lori