Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 13:55

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

The reason people here call it a "plan" or a "way of eating" instead of a "diet" is because the standard diet most people are used to makes us sick. We have to find a new way of eating and stick with it. That's the bad news. The good news is, once you find a way of eating that works for you, you will feel better and you'll enjoy your food too.

Now, you don't have to give up hope completely of ever having carbs. For example, on Atkins you can add carbs back to your diet slowly until you can't maintain your weight anymore. Also, if you do cure the candida, you will be able to tolerate a moderate amount of carbs without it going wild. But it will probably still be a lot less than you were eating before.

One thing I've observed is that people in maintenance can often consume a lot of carbs as long as they stick to certain foods. All grains contain toxic substances in the bran, for example -- my wife and I actually do better with white rice and white sugar than we do with brown rice and molasses. Some people have problems with fructose, but glucose doesn't do them any harm. You might want to check out the Specific Carbohydrate Diet if you want to continue eating some fruits and sugars.

I think the confusion about quinoa is that it has more protein than other grains. But that's a comparison with very high-carb, low-protein foods. Put it next to a good steak and it might as well be white sugar.

You mentioned that you're spending a lot of money on cures. One thing you can do that's very cheap is make your own probiotics. Sauerkraut, coconut milk yogurt, pickles - whatever appeals to you.

Don't worry. The pain will end. It shouldn't take more than a week or two. Die-off and sugar withdrawal are temporary problems.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: 0
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:

Hiya,
Thank you for your comments. Yes, it is the pain that is bugging me at the moment, just when I go to bed it starts up and becomes unbearable. I did some research as I have pale coloured stools at the moment (sorry I had to tell you that!) which is worrrying me a bit as I think the colour changed when I started doing a colon cleanse, fasting for 5 days then I started this diet. So I am getting a bit worried as I read things about pancreatic cancer, but then I think I would be totally suffering in the day too. Who knows, if there is no colour change then I will have to see the quak. See I don't even know if I have candida - I don't exhibit any thrush symptoms but I am fatigued, cold hands feet, big tummy and lack of concentration etc.

I'll see how it goes, my friend said I look really well and I do feel like I have a little more energy.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I just ate a cup full of this cabbage rejuvelac I made and honestly my stomach has gone right down - massively reduced for some reason. Why is that?
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:38

I don't know, but I can't argue with results. Congratulations! What's the recipe?

If you're worried that you have colon cancer, a traditional internal or family practice doctor is the best person to see. Modern medicine is the world's best tool for diagnosing and treating serious diseases like cancer. Once they rule out the things they know how to handle, you are the most competent person to deal with the things they don't understand, like candida.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 140/155/140 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress: -200%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starina
Quinoa is a grain. Onion is sugary, and can cause gastric distress in a lot of people. Coconut oil is good, up very slowly, maybe even cut back if you think you upped it too quickly. It can upset stomach if jumped into too fast, I don't know how long you have been taking it, so just speculating. Usually start with one teaspoon, and up slowly after you're sure it agrees. Can cause cramping if too much too fast.
I'm not suggesting that you take more stuff, honestly, lol. Just wanting to see what you are taking. Which pro biotic? what supps, etc... just trying to get a clear picture.Yay for adding the chicken steak fish. Good going there.
Don't add any pills, etc.. just eat a clean diet for now, and can you post a link to this 'bee' site? It will help me understand what you are taking a bit better.
Ummm, sugars feed candida. Period. No if and or but about it. Gastropax will kill off your beneficial gut flora. I would not recommend this diet to anyone, never mind someone with candida. No way!
You will not become ill without sugar, just healthy. Honest!

onion...really? i've always heard it's one of the best anti-fungals out there?!?!
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjane11
onion...really? i've always heard it's one of the best anti-fungals out there?!?!

Onion does have a lot of carbs, but you're right that it also has some anti-fungal properties too. I use garlic instead, though - more antifungals for less. Onions give me bad breath, but garlic doesn't have quite as much of an effect in that area, even if I eat it raw.

I do use a lot of onions when I make stock. I don't know how many carbs come out of them, but using them seems to make the stock keep better.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hiya Slimjane! The recipe is here, it's just shredded cabbage with filtered water kept in a jar for 3 days.http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co.../intro2.php#s36

I'm going to bed now people. I'll update on how my stools are doing etc. I suppose this is a work in progress. Who knows what is wrong with me, if you capmikee think it'll take a couple of weeks well that is good news as I thought I wouldn't see a result for a few months. I am in this for the long haul. I will go to the doctor in the week to see if I have cancer.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Choirs, I participate in this forum because my family and I eat LC to stay in good health. It isn't a diet, it is a way of life for us. I believe that with knowledge, there is a responsibility to help others. We all share here, people take what they need, and leave the rest. It is the way a forum like this works.
I'm glad the cabbage helped because the rejuvelac is a probiotic. Great for you!
Slimjane and Capmikee, some people don't do well with onion, it can cause gas/cramping. I was trying to eliminate potential problem foods with the cramping Choirs was experiencing.
I hope you feel better tomorrow. Good luck to you.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hiya Starina,

Guess what? I went to bed then woke up this morning my stomach has really gone down a lot. I think it' definately the probiotics so I also ate some cabbage with brekkie as well. I am quite hopeful now. My stomach cramps have gone as well. If I can stick with this diet and keep eating the probiotics I might really make a big change. Thank you for your help Starina, it is great to know there are people out there who are willing to help others.

Last edited by choirs : Sun, Feb-08-09 at 08:31.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm so glad you fell better and the cramps stopped. It is terrible to hurt and not know what to do, or what the cause is.
Good for you, and cabbage is cheap, lol!