Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 04:55

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 166/1512/12
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Stuck on Dr Charles Clark

Hello,
I've noticed that quite a few people are following Dr Charles Clarks High Protein Diet and I'm wondering how everyone is doing. I've been following it for 2 weeks now and am a bit stuck. In the first week I put on 2 pounds, then lost four but have been stuck at this weight for the last week. I haven't lost any inches either. I'm following all the rules, in fact I'm avoiding bread, rice, pulses, potatoes, pasta and stuff completely. I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese and keep carbs below 20g per day. I also drink lots of water and have increased exercise so I don't understand why I've stuck!! I do drink a little red wine and gin with slimline tonic, Could it be that I need to restrict alcohol even more????
If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful!
Hope eveyone else is doing well!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:09

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Week 3 and stalled!

Hi Prettyface

At the start when you believe you are doing everything right it is annoying not to see the scales moving down every week. Great to read that you are drinking plenty of water and having around 20 g carbs a day. However, what I don't know is how much you are eating for each meal? You might be having too many calories or you may be having to few. Both can stop your weight loss. You also mention that you are doing more exercise. It is possible that you are changing fat for muscle and this weighs more and so you will not see a difference at first. Weight loss is never linear and therefore some weeks you loose one or two pounds, the next none, then a pound and so on. So keep the faith.

You need to be eating between 10 and 12 times your bodies weight (in pounds) in calories. Have you put your food into Fitday . This is a great site to give you an idea of what you are eating.

Why not post a typical days menu in this forum and then we can offer more advice.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Prettyface

I was following the Atkins diet and lost some wieght after two weeks put on 3 lbs I then started the Charles Clarke diet and have been losing at a steady pace. I found increasing my cabs to about 30grms got me over the stuck period Clarke recommends 40grms. I drink loads of water and decaf-black tea. I don't take any carbs during the day, I have my carbs at dinner time I also drink white wine. Don't give up its a great felling when the weight comes off

Hang on in there

Allison
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:00

Plan: Clark/Atkins/Randomness
Stats: 182/161/140
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey there. I've been working on Clark for a month or so.. Having same problem.. Read and read the book but can't find a reccomended Calorie intake.. I know my natural RDA should be 2900 but it seems like a lot. Maybe would help myself and other Clarkophiles if you guys could give us a rough idea..

*wipes brow* Phew

First Post over and done with..

Thanks
Larrs
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/GI Diet
Stats: 170/147/145 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Congratulations on your first post, Larrs!

LittleAnne is right, you need to ensure that your water intake is at least 2 litres per day. Exercise makes such a difference too!

The High Protein Diet does allow for a higher carb intake initially but it is about equivalent to Atkins ongoing weight loss for many people. Some do have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, and Prettyface you may find that the aspartame in slimline tonic is the killer. You could also go without alcohol for 2-3 days to see if that kick starts you again.

The other thing I have found on the Clark diet is that the time of day you eat your main carbs has a big effect. I have the highest carb intake at breakfast, a lower one at lunch and lower again at dinner. It's that old adage "Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper". As I am on the go all day I burn off my carbs and it works for me!

Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:37
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%
Default The calorie thing

Part of the point of the Charles Clark is the simplicity. As far as he's concerned you shouldn't even look at the calories - if you go above your needs (as long as your calories are derived from protein) you'll just excrete the excess.
I'm having the opposite problem - I do use fitday.com to check my carb intake and my calorie intake is averaging less than 1000 a day. Normally this would mean I'm in starvation mode and is bad news. But I really can't eat any more protein and veggies, I seem to be eating huge amounts!

Ian
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 22:17

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I know nothing about the plan you're on - but shouldn't you be having some fats? Mayonaisse and cheese would push the calories up.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 06:37

Plan: Clarks
Stats: 186/181/161 Female 5ft 4ins
BF:
Progress:

Hi there

Good to read your threads I have been on the Clark diet for 6/7 weeks now and I have come to a standstill. I am using a little milk in tea (as he says) and also Spenda. Do you think portion size is the reason as I do tend to have rather large ones as I though the food he recommends are unlimited. Interesting to hear that timing of meals could help will try that. Would be grateful for any other tips

Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (post WLS)
Stats: 384/226/195 Female 189 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good to see others on Dr Charles Clark plan. I have found that having my carbs at Atkins induction level is best. As, the book says 40-60g carbs or less a day.

I am loving it. I do use mayo, cheese and pure fats to up my fats. I feel great!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 09:47

Plan: the new high protein diet
Stats: 252/154/140 Male 5 11
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Calories?

HI IAN I HAVE JUST STARTED ON (THE NEW HIGH PROTEIN DIET) AND I HAVE READ THE BOOK OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WHAT I DO LOVE ABOUT THE BOOK IN THAT I DONT AFTER WORRY ABOUT MY CALORIES INTAKE AS LONG AS I CAN KEEP MY CARBS DOWN. MY CARBS INTAKE ARE FROM 15g TO 20g FOR THE DAY. WHICH I AM REALY HAPPY ABOUT AS I FIND COUNTTING CARBS ALOT BETTER THAN COUNTTING CALORIES. THE ONLY THING IS I THINK I GO OVER MY CALORIES INTAKE FOR THE DAY SOME TIMES 3,000 TO 3,500 IS THIS BAD? BUT IT DOSE SAY IN THE BOOK NO MATTER HOW MANY CALORIES I HAVE I WANT PUT ON WEIGHT AS LONG AS I KEEP MY CARBS DOWN. IS THIS RIGHT OR WRONG WOULD LOVE YOUR INFO ON THIS THANKS VERY MUCH ANDY