Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 14:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If anything would be an issue it'd be Free T3, and that's not in your report. TSH is trending high... I wouldn't be surprised if you have low FT3.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 17:18

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
for the thyroid numbers, do you have the ranges that were listed for each test? It helps to know whether the numbers were near the top of the range, middle, bottom, etc.
--Melissa

TSH.............................2.780........range: 0.450-4.500
T4, Free (Direct)...........1.51..........range: 0.82-1.77
Thyroxine (T4)..............7.8...........range: 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake....................39.............range: 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index.....3.0............range: 1.2-4.0

If it turns out I am hypothyroid, are there natural remedies? I truly want to avoid drugs.

Thank you for your input!
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 17:50
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
TSH.............................2.780........range: 0.450-4.500
T4, Free (Direct)...........1.51..........range: 0.82-1.77
Thyroxine (T4)..............7.8...........range: 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake....................39.............range: 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index.....3.0............range: 1.2-4.0

If it turns out I am hypothyroid, are there natural remedies? I truly want to avoid drugs.

Thank you for your input!

There are some natural remedies. Natural dessicated thyroid is just a purified natural thyroid extract and not pharmaceutical concoction. Other remedies such as iodine may help, but it's important to understand the nature of the issue first to ensure that you don't cause more harm.

I don't have time to scrutinize the labs right now, but there's a great resource here that reviews thyroid labs and indicates optimal levels.

--Melissa
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 08:11
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Doctors are only practicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by artp3377
"I'm really hoping my dr doesn't want to put me on any medication"
Are you not aware that you can say no? Say it with me, no,no, no!! See you can do it. Your doc will feign anger and wring her hands [she answers to the drug companies] but it is your body.BTW your numbers look fine to this layman.
Enjoy some red meat and eat eggs every day if you like them, both will make you a healthier, happier person. Do some research!!
be well
Art

Doctors are not gods. They only do what they're told by their owners. Also, I've watched the rules change with the tides over my lifetime. First coffee is good for you, then it's bad for you, then it makes no difference. That applies to cholesterol and a plethora of other issues.

Have you noticed that the only thing doctors do now is order tests and prescribe? It's rare to fine a doctor who listens to the patient - the person who knows him/herself better than the doctor. We are an educated public, thanks to the internet. While all we read online isn't true, at least we can look at multiple opinions and make informed decisions based on the data.

With HMOs we are forced to have a PCP. I interview mine, and if I don't like what I hear, I go to a different doctor. I tell them that I treat myself nutritionally if at all possible and that I will NEVER take a statin. If they don't like it, that's too bad. I cannot be forced into treatment. Quality of life, not quantity is what I choose.

Doctors are people we pay to take care of our bodies and help us stay healthy and they don't know everything. They're still practicing.

rant over
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 08:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Quality of life, not quantity is what I choose.

A statin drug isn't likely to improve either one of them.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 20:31

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Here's another article on the failure of the calculated LDL test on low carbers:

When Friedewald Attacks And the cool part is it offers an alternative calculation when your triglycerides are below 100.

Here are my numbers from a recent test:

Cholesterol, Total 263
Triglycerides 84
HDL Cholesterol 47
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 17
LDL Cholesterol Calc 199
T Chol/HDL Ratio 5.6

Using the bad formula, LDL = TC - HDL - (TG/5), I get 263 -47 -84/5 = 199 . Using the good formula, LDL = TC/1.19 + TG/1.9 - HDL/1.1 - 38, I get 263/1.19 + 84/1.9 - 47/1.1 -38 = 184.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 06:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another update with more detail from Dr William Davis why LDL can go up and even HDL down in the Short-Term, while you are still losing weight. His view, the same as Dr Westman, is not to test lipid panels until you are weight stable for at four weeks. However many on the weight loss journey for the long haul end up having a cholesterol panel done anyway, and freak out over understandable changes caused by weight loss itself. If you are still losing weight, read this Good explanation of the process:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...nfuses-doctors/
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 04:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - 1st rung induct.
Stats: 142.8/130.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Help interpreting results

Hi guys,
I've been low carbing since March.

I got really elevated results and I'm concerned. Historically I've always had low cholesterol (under 200) with good HDL levels. I did read the sticky about recalculating LDL, but feel my triglycerides are very high and don't reflect that I've basically been eating induction.

I've been eating a lot of bacon. and cooking with bacon fat.
Also, coffee consumption has gone from 1 cup a day to 2.
Wondering if the sugar in bacon could be affecting me?

In any case, here are then numbers I got. Please bear in mind I workout daily, I'm lean and wearing a size 4 or 2....so from the outside look very healthy. Feel very healthy and high energy.

LDL 197
HDL 126
Triglycerides: 109
risk ratio 3.1

Any thoughts? I'm worried & alarmed but not ready to toss this WOE out the window.

Thanks
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 04:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - 1st rung induct.
Stats: 142.8/130.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 69%

One other thing to mention, bun & creatinine were elevated, each just one point out of the high range so my doc is worried about my kidneys too. joy.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-16, 05:50

Your triglycerides are not "very high", admittedly a LCer might see less (Cholesterol Clarity pegged 70 as "optimal") BUT then your HDL is also mind-blowing high and good. When mine went just over 100, Dr Westman said that is like those with the "Methuselah gene"..you will live a very long time

Kidney..you mentioned elsewhere you were dehydrated and taking large doses of NSAIDS. A doctor who thinks one point out of range is worrisome has no idea how "normal" blood test ranges are developed, nor is it a cause for "alarm".
Re-do that test next visit. First you may want to adjust the fats a bit, which you have already started, like Ken suggested, which is also what the LowCarb Dietitian, Franzika did. http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...-and-what-i-eat
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-17, 13:12

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I've been reading through this thread cuz my most recent LDL is borderline high and doc wants me to go on a statin. All my other markers are well within normal range: hdl, trig, vldl, ratio, even my A1c is down to 5.5. I've been diagnosed as pre diabetic and take metformin. I was hospitalized last year with afib and had 2 cardioversions before I returned to rhythm. So, doc says I am at risk and should take the statin. I said I would try to lower the ldl some other way. She gave me a diet that recommends reduced fat, especially sat fat and low fat dairy. Well. I don't agree with that. Has anyone had real success with fish oil and / or niacin? Any suggestions for lowering ldl with natural supplements? Is there evidence that very low carb diets reduce ldl?
Thx! I love this website!
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 03:52

Two members who come to mind are Ken and Rob, bringing down LDL by eliminating dairy, etc. Ken tried niacin too, the story in his journal, not sure of start date but here is around New Years. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&page=175&pp=15
I would recommend having the CAC scan done as an alternate test to cholesterol. Though...isn't the reason statins are given for aFib not based on a cholesterol theory? AHA treatment guidelines: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...779_Article.jsp

I have read that with LC diets, about half LDL goes up, half goes down. So not helpful for you, other than another reason LDL doesn't matter as much as other indicators. I focus on Trig/HDL...and yet again, all five years since being LC, my Trigs were in the thirties (33). My oncologist remarked that every year I have the lowest Trigs in his practice (for those who measure lipids) and HDL 100. This year he also complimented my Proteins results. I didnt follow everything he said, but the A/G levels were similar to what was common when he started his residency in 1980. Now the more commonly seen blood results are less healthy than mine (since I eat closer to the diet before the USDA issued guidelines to cut fat and thus increase carbs). There are so many ways eating LC is healthy in the long-term, though possibly more of the benefit comes from lower sugar and processed foods, while switching from saturated to healthy real food mono-unsaturated fats has less impact.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-20-17 at 06:23.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-17, 16:18

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Thx for the links, Janet
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-17, 16:39

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

There is a difference in sticky ldl and fluffy ldl. The sticky stuff is the yucky stuff.

I can only say eating low carb is the best way to control it.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-18, 04:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm glad I remembered this thread! Annual labs are in and am getting frantic calls from my docs nurse to retake my blood test as my LDL has tripled (must be 150 something, I don't have the numbers yet). My large fluffly LDL proliferated. I know my triglycerides must be low and that makes the Friedewald calculation skewed. I'll post my number when I get a copy of my labs here in a week or so.

Thanks for the OP Nancy.