Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 11:07

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Weight Watchers accepting Ketogenic Diets?

My sister in law tells me that at her last WW meeting, the lady talked all about good fats and bad fats. She then went on to say that it would be fine to choose a ketogenic diet so long as your blood was being monitored by a doctor.

Of course, she had the caveat that a ketogenic diet could be potentially dangerous without medical supervision, but still - from WW, giving the ok to keto - WOW!

Not sure if it was just this lady or a new company policy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 11:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I had heard WW was test-marketing it....but how to keep long time members if they basically did an about face on foods to eat and what to avoid. What would they call it? Not Keto.
And what about all their processed foods...that's where the profit it. No more pasta in the dinners?

Anyway, here's today's news. Methinks this is not going to end well.

Weight Watchers' Weight Loss App For Kids Is So Wrong

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wei...-194359248.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...that/ar-AAFKdV5
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 11:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Looked at the yahoo link... ok to diet at eight years old. .....? Hmmmmm...The benefit of that age kids are still growing. No need to diet for weight loss specifically. Just change WHAT they eat. My kids have always stayed thin and trim because their Mom decided WHAT they ate. Good foods are self-limiting, compared to junk food. Most kids I see eat eat junk food, not real food.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 18:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Desperate measures to invoke paranoia among parents to get kids involved. Nurturing a new generation of WW customers. Wonderful marketing plan to increase revenue. Is Oprah endorsing this???
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327.0/324.8/120 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 1%

I was always more successful on the old Weight Watchers, where your protein was the size of a deck of card etc etc... when they added in their products, that's when things became a disaster.. same with Atkins....when it was no "frankenfoods allowed" I was successful.. when I turned to everything low carb, it sunk me fast...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 03:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

They could declare they are "going back to the beginning" and admit it started as a low carb plan.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 14:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I did WW for the first time back in the late 70's when I was in 8th grade. I remember using Pepperidge Farms "skinny" bread for a sandwich and eating WW chicken liver and broccoli TV dinner. Lots of protein, very limited carbs, some fats. I did really well because it was low carb as WereBear points out, and the accountability of weekly meetings was effective.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 18:19

Atlantic article:
Putting kids on Diets won’t solve anything
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...pp-kids/596422/
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 18:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
"It does, however, make the diet industry a lucrative business for companies like WW. “You train these kids at young ages to think in these terms around weight loss and diet, and then of course, from a business perspective, that would be something you’d anticipate they would continue to do in the future,” Subica notes. “Children dieting when they’re 8 or 9 are probably going to diet when they’re 15 and 25 and 35 and then make their kids diet.”"

Exactly . . . . . Creating the next wave of consumers one generation at a time.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 05:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Because it's not about finding something that works. It's about finding something which gives enough inconsistent results for them to simply claim it does what they say it will.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 08:49

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Looked at the yahoo link... ok to diet at eight years old. .....? Hmmmmm...The benefit of that age kids are still growing. No need to diet for weight loss specifically. Just change WHAT they eat. My kids have always stayed thin and trim because their Mom decided WHAT they ate. Good foods are self-limiting, compared to junk food. Most kids I see eat eat junk food, not real food.

Agree here. My daughter is almost 11 and she is heavy. But I see alot of myself in her. I have a feeling she is not tolerant of carbs just as I am, but at this age I am extremely hesitant to cut out whole groups of food for her. I just try to limit (when she is with me, I split time with her father) and make her be active. Hopefully it will work. I would hate to see her struggle as I did.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 13:39

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

As someone whose entire childhood was spent being overweight, I think I can say that I would probably have jumped at the opportunity to try this app out at first. I would have tried anything if I could be convinced that it would help, and that I was capable of achieving it. An app tracker? Sure!

But then, I imagine it would have taken me maybe two days or so before I would have given up on it. Why? Because with the benefit of hindsight, I know it wouldn't have made a damned difference. Rather than having people always telling me about how I was eating wrong, I'd just be lectured by an app about it instead. It's as if those people are tired of repeating their messages over and over without result, but now there's an app does their job for them. Hooray for them, I guess?

Of course, what all of those people failed to realise was that it wasn't my fault that I wasn't able to respond to their advice, and this has since been proven by my ability to be able to respond to something different, i.e. low carb. The real fault lay with the nature of the advice itself. And if the advice itself is wrong, then it doesn't matter how that bad advice might be dispensed. Whether it comes from a human being or an app, becomes completely irrelevant.

Whoever stands to benefit from an app like this, it sure as hell ain't going to be its target audience.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 14:58

The article I posted above was one of many I have seen on this new app, today one by a woman who started her first diet at age 4! Hard to find one that supports the idea that dieting at age 8 is a good thing.

I Started Dieting At Age 4. I Know How Harmful Weight Watchers’ New ‘Kids’ Program Is..

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/weig...4b0d1e113686be5
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 20:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyk26
Agree here. My daughter is almost 11 and she is heavy. But I see alot of myself in her. I have a feeling she is not tolerant of carbs just as I am, but at this age I am extremely hesitant to cut out whole groups of food for her. I just try to limit (when she is with me, I split time with her father) and make her be active. Hopefully it will work. I would hate to see her struggle as I did.

My youngest is a carbaholic. He takes after me.

what I did : Instead of eliminate, just reduce high carb foods by filling up on meat and veg first. Meal prep in my house is based on meat and veggie. And lots of herbs, spices and many kinds of fats. Some dairy like cream, cheese, sour cream, ricotta.

Boys drink s lot of water, and salt.

Most our meals are without grains. Wheat Belly the book changed my view of grains.

Your daughter has a growth spurt coming, a great time to help her slim down.

Its a tough job being a mom , and Im sure you know what to do. Youve got this.