Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default watery problem!

Hi all!
i've got a bit of a problem...for the last 3 evenings i've been eating lots of salad in the evening however i tend to wake up in the morning feeling heavy and literally full of water! - is this normal?
ta!
ax
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 05:40

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

DO you mean that you have to run and pee? or that you are puffed out with that O So flattering water retention thing??
Either way it probably isn't the salad. I know that salad is mostly water but by volume it can't be as much as a couple of glasses of straight water, which would not have that effect. Unless your salad is very salty with some dressing or other, or you are in the early days of drinking more water in which case I think it can have the 'running to pee' effect more. After a while that seems to settle down to some extent, particularly at night. I no longer get up for a pee. Which is good.
I think water retention is very odd and not predictable.
Not a very helpful reply, as I am basically saying I do not know, but with all these things, it will probably get better as your body settles down to what might be a big change in chemistry.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:05

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Adrix

I also don't think it is the salad causing this. I see you have been low carbing since April and if this is the first time you have felt like this then you need to look at other possibilities.

I assume you are still drinking lots of fluid/water? As already said, lots of salt can often cause you to hang onto water.

It may just be that you are going through a poor spell of sleeping badly and hence you don't feel refreshed in the morning. This has happened to me once or twice. No idea why and I don't think it is low carb releated.

Keep with it, veggies are good for you and on their own will not be causing the problem.