Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/196/155 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 45%

You think I'm a total dumb ass, I'm not really, just new to all this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:23

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

No, not at all. The only dumb question is one you don't ask. I'm sorry if my reply came over that way it was not what I intended.

I'm not a chemist so I can't really tell you what sugar alcohols are but I'll try to tell you how I understand them.

They are chemicals found in small amounts in nature which are sweet and made of crystals like sugar. On a molecular level they are somehwere half way inbetween a sugar and an alcohol.

These 'sugar alcohols' are now manufactured and used in such things as sugar free gum, toothpaste, diabetic foods and low carb foods and other places where you want something sweet but not sugar. They do not rot your teeth or make your blood sugar levels shoot up when you eat them.

The two commonest ones are called sorbitol and malitol. There is one which begins with an X which is used a lot in sugar free gum and toothpaste but I can't remember it's name.

Some people count them as sort of 'semi-carbs' and count them as 50% of their actual carb content I.E. 10g of sorbitol is 5g of carbs.

Once again please ask any question. Someone on this board will always try to answer you. If it hadn't been for the help I've received over the last year or so I would have given up ages ago.

Regards,

Robert
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:45

BF:
Default Cheers

Its cool, I just looked up all this stuff on diabetic chocolate and now I know abit more I think I'll stay away. Like you say, I shouldnt have to be a chemist to lose weight. Anyways I found a bar of finest belgian chocolate in Sainsburys that is 32g per 100g, its really nice and at 3g per square I cant wait til induction is over til I have a bit.

ps In Ketosis now
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 11:10

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Scottie

The Thorntons diabetic range is really good - tastes more like real chocolate than any other diabetic chocolate out there. They also do diabetic special toffee, chocolates, fudge and also turkish delight. They are all really yummy but that is a bit of a pitfall as I always eat too much and end up staying in the bathroom for ages......

You might want to take a look at www.sugarlite.co.uk as they have sweets, breads, jams and also a lot of Atkins own products. They have Carbolite chocolate bars which are 0 carbs, but make you go if you eat more than one in a day.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 11:57

Hi rebsee,

Where can you buy the Thorntons diabetic range in Britain? In shops? I'm moving back to England soon so I'm doing my research. That sugarlite site is awesome! Bread devivered to your home - wow!

Hope the weight loss is happening for you Scottie. I read you are in ketosis now.

Regards to all,
Robert
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 04:48

BF:
Default weight

Been on the diet for a week and have been in ketosis for 4 days but my weight has stayed the same. Could this be because my period is due?I hope so. IVe been really good and already see my appetite has reduced so dont know why my weight has stayed the same.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 11:06

Yes exactly, you will see to called TOM (time of month) here on this board. It makes your body hang onto water. When TOM finishes you should have a 'whoosh' (a sudden weight loss).
Robert