Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 21:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 199/194/130
BF:?
Progress: 7%
Default North Carolina?

Hey there!
Im new to low carbing and I would love to talk to others in North Carolina.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 18:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 205/198/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Wink

HEy Jamie! where in north carolina? I just started this and I need help!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 12:41

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default From Taylorsville

Hi, I haven't (re-)started Atkins yet, but plan to next week. I'd love someone locally to talk with. I live in Taylorsville, but that is close to Hickory.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:38

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

Hey Everyone...
I'm in the Winston-Salem area.

I'm not on the Atkin's Diet, but the diet I am on (Beverly Hill's Weight Loss) IS low carb. (eek! I hope I don't get thrown out)

I am really enjoying this site. I have found a lot of good information...and it's nice to be among people who KNOW what you are "going thru". And hey, we can never get enough support!

Take care...and good luck to all!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:54

BF:

So Beachdream,

What's up with the Beverly Hills diet? Can you give me an encapsulated rundown on how it works?

I see you are from Winston-Salem. That is just over an hour from my house. My husband and I just moved to NC last August. We considered moving to the Triad area, but decided it was too densely populated for us. We've become "hicks" and love the country. It does have it's ups and downs though. The quiet, country life is slow in all ways. We both just got laid off, so it will certainly be tougher to find new jobs. And good jobs are even harder to find. (I'm not whining, I promise). We're happy in the lovely foothills.

Randi
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 15:22

Hi Randi...
To sum it up...here's what I can have each day:
3 servings of protein
4 servings of vegetables
3 fruits
2 starches (this includes potatoes, rice, corn..etc)
1 dairy
4 protein suplements each day (that I buy from the "clinic")

This is one of those diet plans that you pay for and visit the "clinic" a couple of times each week. Luckily, I paid for a VIP (lifetime) membership about 3 years ago..and I am just NOW getting really focused on dieting. It is sort of strict...But I have to say....IT WORKS!

I have lost 80lbs and I look and feel SO much younger. The only trouble I am having is with the saggy tummy and arm skin. I think it looks really bad...and unless I can find a way to reduce the skin....I will be getting surgery to remove it. I still have a ways to go, so hopefully it will shrink before I have to do anything drastic.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. It seems that's happening all too often these days.

Let me know how things are going for you!
Take care!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:44

BF:

Well Beach,

It looks as if you WOE ends up to be quite low calorie?

I stick with Atkins because you can eat as much as you want to eat. And usually it deceases your appetite so that you aren't eating as much as you used to.

Today was my start day. Weighed in at 246. I've got an awful lot to lose. I'm big boned, but still should get down to the 150-170 range to look good.

I did well today. Was pretty busy, so I didn't get in very much water. I will have more before going to bed.

Do you have to drink lots on your plan?

Randi
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:53

Hi Randi...
I drink the normal 64 oz. of water per day. I know it seems like I don't eat that much...but I really do. To get the water in, I drink it with my meals (instead of my beloved sweet tea) (gosh, that was hard to give up!) I have also found that if I don't drink my water...I become (eeek!) constipated. ( did I say that?) (GULP!)

I am big boned too (at least that's what I keep telling myself), so you and I are aiming for around the same weight. WE CAN DO IT! We should set "mini-goals" for ourselves. Is your hubby on it too?

Take care and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:06

BF:

Beachdream,

My dh is SKINNY. He's actually stayed exactly the same weight for all our blessed marriage! He cannot related whatsoever to my eating problems. "If you fat, stop eating," he says. Even though he cannot related, he does lovingly support me.

I think it's great that people want to do mini goals. But my daily goals are going to be to just stick with the WOE. The weight will come off as it comes off. For me the mini goals will add extra pressure. I may mentally do goals as I go - like I want three pounds off by next week. But nothing more than that.

I sure will support other people in achieving their mini goals though. You've really done a good job thus far. 80 pounds is an awesome acheivement. You must feel so good about yourself. How long did it take you to do it?

Randi
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:47

Hi Randi...
I know what you mean about the hubby being skinny. My husband and I have been together for 17 years...and he looks EXACTLY the same! (althought he is starting to get gray hairs and wrinkles...tee hee!) He comes from a naturally skinny family...and my family...well...THEY'RE NOT!

I have been in my diet since 02/02...but I went off of it from 10/02 until 02/03. And I haven't been really focused until a couple of weeks ago...so I lost the 80 lbs from 02/02 until 10/02...but I have pretty much maintained it. At one time I did notice the number on the scale starting to move up...and it scared me...that's when I got back on it (somewhat)

My goal is to be at my goal by next February...but I'm not rushing it!

Take care!

Last edited by beachdream : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 19:48.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:43

BF:

HI beachdream.

Well, I told you I don't like to set goals. But I will keep your stats in mind and try to chase you down to our goal.

I'm pretty happy. Woke up 3 pds lighter today. That's great for a first day of induction. I feel terrific and I think I'm in it for the long haul.

Have you read anything about Atkins, or did you just gather info from reading the posts? Have you heard/read about the new diet that's out there - something beach diet (Clinton's have lost weighton it.)

Randi
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:07

WOW! Congrats on the awesome weight loss!! 3lbs first day! Jeez...I better become more focused! (<---that supposed to be me exercising) (tee hee)

I haven't heard anything about a "beach" diet....mmmm, wonder if it has anything to do with crablegs dipped in butter? *****drifting away in thought***** (wiping drool from mouth) Ok...I am back now. Let me know what you find out about it though.

Take care!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:25

BF:

So how come you are beachdream? Are you an ocean lover or what?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:48

Me? Ocean lover? YES YES YES YES YES!

But I love the mountains too. My best friend and I always said we were going to find us a mountain by a beach and live there...but as of yet, we haven't found a place...or had the money to even start looking...but ONE day! In fact, I wanted to get vanity plates for my car that said MTN/BCH (Mountain by the Beach) but my hubby said no one would figure it out, so I didn't do it...oh well!

But yes...I love everything about the ocean....sand, creatures...SEAFOOD...location...EVERYTHING.

You said you had moved to NC...where did you move from?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:32

BF:

Well, we just move to NC (Hickory) in August. Prior to that we had been living in Eau Claire, WI. I'm born and bred in MN. DH is from upstate NY. We both joined the service - me Army and him Navy just after high school.

I ended up returning to MN after vowing to never return (because I liked the beach and Mts, and MN has neither). DH was called to MN for ministry. During his stay there, his wife left him for another man. We met, fell in love and were married.

We're very happy in NC, though. It's the best of everything. Although we both admittedly miss the midwest winters. They were so beautiful. It wasn't always as cold as everyone thinks, it was often in the 20s and 30s which is really very nice.

We were recently working for Baptist Chidren's Homes of NC. Working in a group home for boys. Due to budget problems, our group home closed. But before we got laid off we spent 5 days at their beach cottage at Indian Beach (near Emerld Isle). It was so lovely. We walked on the beach each evening, and fished in the Bogue Sound during the day.

Too many people for us. We were glad to get home to the foothills and our little town of Taylorsville. But it was a fun trip.

Randi