Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 12:10

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Miller
The only magnesium intake I get is in my daily multivitamin. If the effects of taking an added dose is that noticeable I think I'll try it out.

Hi there Mr Miller,

Well, you will get some Mg in your food, that's for sure, but if you're LCing, it might not be that much. The Mg in your multivitamin is sure to be Mg oxide, which is the worst absorbed kind and the amount in it is sure to be tiny.

Most of us need about 400-600mg of Mg per day IN TOTAL, although some conditions require more (diabetes, being perimenopausal and oestrogen dominant, being under a lot of stress, physical and or mental, to name but a few). However, because most of us start out with a deficit situation, taking 400-600mg in supplement form doesn't seem to do most people any harm.

I suggest you start at, say, 400mg per day (i.e. of the Dr's Best stuff that would be 4 tabs per day), best taken between meals and with, say, 200mg at night (if it doesn't make you wired, you have to test for yourself), and see if you notice a difference or notice any BM problems. If you have the latter, you don't need so much, if you have no BM problems, you can try going up to 600mg and see how it goes.

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 22:26

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 178/172/148 Male 5"7
BF:
Progress:

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check out that site, $15 sounds like a great deal! So taking a regular vitamin with magnesium plus a one pill supplement wont be too much? Reason why I ask is the supplement is usually 100% or more daily value so I could be taking close to 200% daily value. I'm gonna try it out either way to see how I feel.

I'm also vegan so I try to make sure where I order from fits my needs. Has anyone ordered from this site, purestcolloids.com? They had some vitamins that were labeled 100% vegan so I might try them out but I wanted to see if anyone here has before ordering.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Miller
So taking a regular vitamin with magnesium plus a one pill supplement wont be too much?

Just wanted to mention that you can input your daily foods into a nutrition counter like My P.L.A.N. and find out how closely you come to the RDAs. When I did it, back when I started low carbing, I was easily hitting the minimum for everything except D.

I still supplement with my Hardcore 5 (CLA, chelated magnesium, D3, MSM, kelp) because those are either things that don't have an RDA, or I have been persuaded that it is set too low, and I need more. Remember, the RDA's were set, some of them back in the 1920s, to ward off scurvy & beri beri. Not for optimum health.

But I don't take a multivitamin anymore. My dollars are better spent, targeted.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 16:48

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

I started taking the chelated Mg supplement about a week ago, starting at 100 mg 1x per day, then 100 mg 2x per day, then 200 mg once in the morning. Unfortunately, three times I've experienced abrupt, excruciating headaches during um, quality time with my husband. I have never had this problem before and have been married for almost 21 years. The pain is extremely focused in the middle of the right side of my head and lasts for hours. It feels like an ice pick is stabbing me in one spot. I haven't found any information connecting Mg supplements to new, unexplained headaches...only tons of information linking Mg supplementation with headache relief. UGH - go figure!

So, yesterday was my last dose of Mg and now I'll give it a few days to leave my body before seeing if my horrible new problem happens again. Whether it does or not, I'm going to go see my doc and hopefully she will order a CT or MRI of my noggin.

I just wonder how long it takes for the Mg to leave my body. I'm scared to try again! The pain is really focused, really intense, and really scary.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 14:56

For anyone who may have (or will) experience this problem (coital cephalgia), it was definitely the magnesium. As the excess Mg left my body over a period of days, so too did the stabbing brain pains. Thank God I am now back to normal. No more Mg for me! Hubby-induced sparkliness is far better than magnesium-induced sparkliness. What a weird (and worrisome) side effect!!
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 04:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
Hubby-induced sparkliness is far better than magnesium-induced sparkliness. What a weird (and worrisome) side effect!!

So glad you are feeling better! And for warning the rest of us

Obviously you were not deficient?
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 05:47

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have a question, I see that chelated magnesium is what's recommended in the form of mag glycinate. I was taking this in the Dr.'s Best brand. I recently also bought some Natural Calm but saw that it's mag citrate. Is one superior to the other? I had already thought the Natural Calm was a great magnesium supplement, but is it as good as taking chelated magnesium glycinate?
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 14:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
I have a question, I see that chelated magnesium is what's recommended in the form of mag glycinate. I was taking this in the Dr.'s Best brand. I recently also bought some Natural Calm but saw that it's mag citrate. Is one superior to the other? I had already thought the Natural Calm was a great magnesium supplement, but is it as good as taking chelated magnesium glycinate?

Hi there,

Difficult to say!!! I guess you just have to try for yourself. I do believe I did see something somewhere on the net which looked fairly reliable (George Eby's site, maybe???) about the absorption rates of various kinds of magnesium and I do believe that Mg glycinate did indeed score better than Mg citrate, but YMMV.

I found that the Mg citrate just made me go potty too much. The Mg glycinate is the only one that doesn't have that effect unless I take a lot of it.

amanda
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 14:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
I started taking the chelated Mg supplement about a week ago, starting at 100 mg 1x per day, then 100 mg 2x per day, then 200 mg once in the morning. Unfortunately, three times I've experienced abrupt, excruciating headaches during um, quality time with my husband. I have never had this problem before and have been married for almost 21 years. The pain is extremely focused in the middle of the right side of my head and lasts for hours. It feels like an ice pick is stabbing me in one spot. I haven't found any information connecting Mg supplements to new, unexplained headaches...only tons of information linking Mg supplementation with headache relief. UGH - go figure!

So, yesterday was my last dose of Mg and now I'll give it a few days to leave my body before seeing if my horrible new problem happens again. Whether it does or not, I'm going to go see my doc and hopefully she will order a CT or MRI of my noggin.

I just wonder how long it takes for the Mg to leave my body. I'm scared to try again! The pain is really focused, really intense, and really scary.

I read this whilst on holiday and didn't have time (just a few minutes on my sister's laptop from work) to write a reply back then.

I am soooo sorry to hear this. I guess you were one of those lucky ones who was already stocked up with magnesium and the extra amount caused some imbalance...

Yikes.

Hope you find someone you can give the Mg to as it would be a shame to let it go to waste!

amanda
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hope you find someone you can give the Mg to as it would be a shame to let it go to waste! amanda

Hubby's taking it!

What a crazy reaction I had! I'm glad the problem presented itself so quickly that I was able to pinpoint the cause right away. What can I say, my body's weird.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-11, 15:56

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi there,

Difficult to say!!! I guess you just have to try for yourself. I do believe I did see something somewhere on the net which looked fairly reliable (George Eby's site, maybe???) about the absorption rates of various kinds of magnesium and I do believe that Mg glycinate did indeed score better than Mg citrate, but YMMV.

I found that the Mg citrate just made me go potty too much. The Mg glycinate is the only one that doesn't have that effect unless I take a lot of it.

amanda

I had taken Natural Calm several years back and remembered how relaxed it made my mood, but this time it's upsetting my stomach. I had taken some NOW mag citrate capsules a while back and had to quit taking them for the same reason. I guess because it draws water to the colon, but it makes my stomach constantly feel *full* and it makes gurgling noises all through the day. When I had quit the Now mag citrate capsules, all of those symptoms stopped. Then I tried the Dr.'s Best chelated mag (mag glycinate) and didn't have the problems but then I ordered Natural Calm and once I took it, I had the same symptoms I had when I took the mag citrate. I didn't know till I read on the Natural Calm container that it was in the mag citrate form. I'm going to stop taking it and go back to my mag glycinate.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-11, 03:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

I would really appreciate it if you people who know more about Magnesium than I do, could have a look at the stuff that I have been taking.

http://www.fourbody.com.au/herbs-of...uscitation.html

I don't buy it from there but this site has a full breakdown of what's in it!!

I take it for muscle relaxation and hopefully to help control my blood pressure, Hubby takes it for muscle relaxation.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-11, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly07
I would really appreciate it if you people who know more about Magnesium than I do, could have a look at the stuff that I have been taking.

http://www.fourbody.com.au/herbs-of...uscitation.html

I don't buy it from there but this site has a full breakdown of what's in it!!

I take it for muscle relaxation and hopefully to help control my blood pressure, Hubby takes it for muscle relaxation.

Hi GillyO7,

This is what it says in the description:

Quote:
Magnesium (as citrate)................................................................ ...120mg
Magnesium (as amino acid chelate)...............................................200mg

In the case of the second kind of magnesium, I would guess that it is merely Mg oxide bound to an amino acid, because if it were something "better" then they would have mentioned it specifically!!! Now, that's just my evil twisted mind interpreting this, but I say so with experience of buying magnesium products.

I bought one here in Germany, which proudly proclaimed it was "chelated magnesium", but gave no more information than that. Not even an email to Spain (where the product originally came from, or the company it was distributed by in Europe) gave me more accurate information!!!

But, don't despair, this - possibly - Mg oxide chelate did in fact work better than the plain old cheapo Mg oxide I had been taking beforehand. However, I would recommend you finish that bottle and then get yourself a decent separate Mg supplement. As far as I know, it is generally recommended that you take multivitamins with meals - because they tend to be a little harsh on the stomach otherwise - but this is not the best way to take magnesium as it merely makes your stomach acid less acidic which, one, means you digest your food less efficiently. Therefore it is often recommended to take magnesium away from meals, say, a half hour after you've eaten, when your stomach acid concentration is still relatively high, but your stomach will have emptied by then.

Hope this helps!

amanda
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Rats. I got the wrong magnesium...magnesium citrate. It's the powdered kind - has to be made with boiling water. I usually mix the concoction with something. This evening's mix w/ herbal tea is pretty awful.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 10:28

BF:

Happy to report my hunch was correct: I am feeling warmer this winter!

Of course, it's early yet...