Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-21, 06:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
If they start proselytizing, it becomes a problem for me.
So true of any faith, conviction, or charitable effort. I'll pick my own, thank you.

Since 1996, when I did my biggest weight loss (50lbs) I've managed to appear pretty much like an unremarkable-size person. I never get to "preach" about my dietary choices, because no one ever asks. I like coming here to share my woes and triumphs.

As for edibles "with a face"--this thread hasn't (as I recall) discussed insects as the future of protein. Locusts, tarantulas, crickets, ants have been food for humans from antiquity. Do they have faces?? Traveling in Asia, I once ate a tarantula (two, fried). I saw a picture of a kebab of tarantulas in the newspaper just yesterday. I figure anyone who can eat (and love!) soft-shell crab can deal with tarantula. But I don't see them coming to my neighborhood market anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-21, 07:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I think many of us would have to be really, really hungry before we at an insect or grub.

But they are a source of protein.

For now, I'll stick with grass fed beef, pasture raised eggs, bacon, and whey protein.

To each their own.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-21, 04:57

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Yes, westerners have to be starving before they will eat grubs and insects - not to mention snakes - foods readily eaten by Asians.

But from my own experience I can tell you roasted locust tastes pretty good.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-21, 09:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I quite liked the roasted crickets I got at the market in Oaxaca. They had them with various added flavors; I think mine were with lime & chile.
And I remember as a child - late 50s - eating chocolate covered ants at the house of a friend of my parents. I remember thinking it was like a chocolate covered Rice Krispie, not much taste & a little crunch :-)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-21, 11:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Yes, westerners have to be starving before they will eat grubs and insects - not to mention snakes - foods readily eaten by Asians.

But from my own experience I can tell you roasted locust tastes pretty good.

Foods are a learned thing. What we are given to eat as children defines our palate for the most part.

I rather like cricket chips, but cannot crunch a cricket itself at this point.

Willing to try snake. I live too far north to have big snakes and therefore an opportunity to try it, like raddlesnake. Which apparently is common food in other states in the US.

Someday, alligator meat!!!

I'm not ready for grubs. No no.lol Roasted grubs must be like toasted marshmallows, toasted on the outside and gooey on the inside, lol. Bet it's not sweet, but I'm curious .
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-21, 13:30

BF:

I've had gator tail. It was barbecued on a grill, basted with a little tomato sauce, and tasted a lot like pork.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-21, 07:34

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

There's a large rodent common in Louisiana swamps (it's a South America native) called a nutria. Locals call it a "neutral." Once upon a time, enterprising folks tried to control the nutria population by promoting them as food. Didn't work.

Ms. Arielle is right about the things we learn to eat in our own culture. Rabbit? OK. Rat? NO!!! However, those little rat bodies looked pretty tasty skinned and laid out artistically in a market in Cambodia. I've read that South Korea is currently discouraging the consumption of dog meat. Is monkey still on the menu in Beijing?

The planet is a big place. If we could all stop killing each other, we might actually come up with solutions to feeding each other.

Sorry if that's a controversial comment. Back to our quarrel with vegans.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-21, 16:21

BF:

They Maya in Mesoamerica used to raise dogs as livestock to eat.

If you quit thinking of them as pets, for a protein scarce country like Mexico in the days before refrigerators, it wasn't a bad idea.

But I don't wanna eat Lassie, Rex, Benji, Asta, Rover, or Rin-Tin-Tin
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 05:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's not just "taste," it's taste. On the whole, herbivores are much more pleasing to our palate than an obligate carnivore. And I enjoy grass-fed meats, which have lots of useful nutrients, compared to other forms of protein.

I started my weight loss journey quite early, running across CLA and trying it as a supplement. I lost a few pounds and felt good. My interest in metabolism was born
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 17:25

BF:

I used to eat chicken, until I found it was irritating for arthritis. Chickens are not herbivores, but omnivores.

I've eaten gator tail and the alligator is an apex carnivore. It was quite good.

I eat ham, and hogs are omnivores

I eat fish some of which are definitely carnivores.

Deer are omnivores, but I don't care for venison

I'm a particular eater, so how it's prepared is very important to me.

And yes, I'm an omnivore. My digestive tract is that of an omnivore, so I figure that's what I need to survive.

Bob