Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 19:47

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs down Sensitive subject

I am a bit embarrassed to be making this post but I am getting truly desperate.

For a long time now I have been having problems with hemmorrhoids. I used to eat a very high fiber diet and went plenty and still had them as I do now even with fewer BM's. I've done the creams and even had a prescription from my doc. nothing is helping. Has anyone used any of these all natural pills I have found online? I researched and found some but I am afraid to waste yet another $40 on something that might not work.

Any insight or anyone that has found a cure for this most frustrating and embarrassing problem please let me know. If you don't want to post about your issue please PM me.

I have faith someone can guide me. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 19:55
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have them, but they don't cause me any discomfort. Sorry I can't be of any help.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 19:55

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

My son just went to the doc for that...he's only 13. She gave him a scrip and said he also needed fiber. I'm sure someone can tell you what to buy over the counter costing less than $40. Have you been to the doctor?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 19:58

Plan: Keto-ish Low Carb
Stats: 420/407/240 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 7%

I would consult a doctor. I am not a sufferer of hemorrhoids but I would want a doctor to talk to about them if I had this problem Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
I am a bit embarrassed to be making this post but I am getting truly desperate.

For a long time now I have been having problems with hemmorrhoids. I used to eat a very high fiber diet and went plenty and still had them as I do now even with fewer BM's. I've done the creams and even had a prescription from my doc. nothing is helping. Has anyone used any of these all natural pills I have found online? I researched and found some but I am afraid to waste yet another $40 on something that might not work.

Any insight or anyone that has found a cure for this most frustrating and embarrassing problem please let me know. If you don't want to post about your issue please PM me.

I have faith someone can guide me. Thanks ahead of time.

Hi .. I had surgery to remove them when I was in my 20's ... but they came back.

I have them now, and they don't cause pain unless I have a very hard BM, and that's only rarely. If I have pain (they'll swell and get hard), I use Preparation H as SOON as they start to hurt, if I wait too long... OUCH!

Prep H works VERY good, shrinks them down and takes away the pain within a day ... more if I let them go too long. Another product that's soothing is Witch Hazel, especially cold (keep in fridge). They also have packages of wipes with the Witch Hazel in them too, keep them cold also. But if you have REAL pain, the Prep H works best.

I've considered surgery again, but if they came back the first time, they might just come back again.

Hope that helps a bit.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 21:24

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I never had full-blown hemmhorroids but hubby did. Eating low carb and high fat - high fat is key - erased the problem for both of us. Witch hazel on cotton balls is very effective and costs less than the pads. I hope it gets better for you because those are not pleasant.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 07:14

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have been to see my Doc. and I have talked to her via phone several times lately. The prep H does nothing for me and they really don't hurt all the time but when they do it's unbearable. Doc. wants me to have a colonoscipy (sp?) but I can't do that until insurance comes though in March.... plus it does not sound like fun so I really want to get rid of them before then!!! I ordered some MCT and am taking CO in the meantime so maybe that will kick in and start helping soon. The stuff I have found online is a pill that works internally they claim... sounds like a good thing but even though there are testimonials etc. I don't trust these things much so I was really trying to find someone on here that may have used it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 11:57

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Have you tried a magnesium supplement?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 11:59

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

Kimbar, I don't have any suggestions, but I hope you feel better soon!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 13:42
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
I have been to see my Doc. and I have talked to her via phone several times lately. The prep H does nothing for me and they really don't hurt all the time but when they do it's unbearable. Doc. wants me to have a colonoscipy (sp?) but I can't do that until insurance comes though in March.... plus it does not sound like fun so I really want to get rid of them before then!!!
I have a colonoscopy every 3 years, because I have cancer. They aren't horrible. When you schedule yours, make it clear that you want to be asleep during the procedure and that you want a topical anesthetic because you have hemmorrhoids. Tell them you won't be able to have to procedure done otherwise. (It worked for me! )
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 14:42

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/000/165 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 354%

I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years...my mother had cancer.
I have already had 2. They are really no biggie. I was semi-asleep. Kinda knew what was going on but not really. Dr. would say something and I could hear him but didn't care LOL I am not sure how long it actually took...but I was thinking wow, were done...seemed like 2 mins.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 15:35

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

When mine are flaming....baby zinc (diaper rash) creme did the trick.....and the witch hazel works well too.....

I make a point of always using wet wipes to keep that area clean....I find prevention helps a lot for me....
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 21:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Do all hemorrhoids hurt?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 22:21
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzjnqtpy
Do all hemorrhoids hurt?
No, sometimes there is only itching. Mine have never been painful, but, boy, the itching (which, fortunately is only occasional) can drive me crazy! If the stool becomes hard/difficult to pass for any reason, the swollen, distended veins (which is what hemorrhoids are) can break and bleed slightly. There can be some danger of infection under those circumstances.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 17:48

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

My husband has hemorrhoids...extra fiber, suppositories and creams aren't enough....if he doesn't get enough water or other fluids with them. Because he watches his fat intake (gall bladder issues) I got him stool softener softgels. Fiber + Fluid + FAT (three "F"s) = better relief....