Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 22:12

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Back and having trouble sticking

So I think this is where I need to be, but I could be wrong. Last year (2014) I successfully lost 60 pounds in 3 or 4 months. I was getting happier with my body and was not craving the foods that got me to where I am in the first place. In October of last year we went out of town and to this amazing fondue place. Instead of declining to go or figuring out a way to make it low carb I allowed it to become a smorgasbord of food indulgence. Now it is April 2015 and I am just starting to wake back up, 50 pounds heavier putting my net loss at 10 pounds.

I know I need to get back on low carb. I have tried for the last 2 months to force myself back on but I am just having so much trouble caring. I reread my DANDR book and that got me through 3 days before I stopped caring and just started self medicating with food again. I am wondering if I might be suffering from mild depression and that is part of the issue, I will talk to my doctor next month at my appointment, but in the meantime any suggestions to help me get over that first 2 weeks to get back in the groove of low carb would be greatly appreciated.

Mentally I know I need to be on low carb. I know how good I feel after a few weeks, but I just keep slipping and am not sure how to stop. I am getting better at carrying low carb snacks so I do not get to those *OMG going to die* levels of hunger but it is still not quite enough.

Who knows maybe just posting and getting active here again will help. I know what I need to do, now I just have to figure out how to do it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 22:42

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

HI Greenb!
Welcome (back)! Good for you for getting on the boards and knowing what you have to do!
I think posting and reading WILL help you!

Read the Success Stories (over and over!)
Look at the Gallery
Take your vitamins (esp. B vits)
Eat lots of fat (I was just posting today about how I had a nice dinner, but I was STILL hungry after. ...Made a little fat snack, and presto! I'm all good. )
Read and ask questions!
Make up a mantra for yourself. REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT!
Write a list of all the reasons why you WANT and NEED to do this.
Decide that you WILL do it (there is no try...

I wish you ALL the best on your journey!
Jammie
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 22:56

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have always been skeptical of vitamins, I am willing to try however. I know DANDR advises a general multi, but I am having trouble finding an acceptably priced one the matches the description in the book. Any advice or would a few specific vitamins help instead of the multi?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 01:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I take a multi that is liquid in a gel-cap. It's big but easy for me to swallow. It's by Irwin Naturals and is called "Only One". I bought my first bottle at Sprouts, but order now from Vitacost. They are about $8.50 a month, but I order more than that so I get free shipping. (have to order $49 I think; 1 bottle of 60 is $16 something.) hth

Here's a link if you want to see what is in it: http://www.vitacost.com/irwin-natur...quid-softgels-1

I've ordered lots of these over time and never had a leak problem like in that one review btw.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-21-15, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Back in the High Fat Saddle again!

Hi Greenbaby…well, I've fouund just reading what others are doing is so motivating..it shows that YES I CAN do this.. Also one psych trick I LOVE is not saying " I CANT" have -cake-gummiebears- ice cream…I say " i DON'T have cake….etc."

YOU are in control, NOT deprived..the mental switch is amazing, and supports you. If people question me I say I MUST follow a Nutritional Ketosis eating plan…big words confuse,and they stop asking questions as it sounds "medical" which it is..it is saving your LIFE..and your health.

One of my favorite sites for all thing NEW INFO on LCHF is to read www.dietdoctor.com his site still has lots of free info, plus a monthly $9 fee for full access…some people don't think it is worth paying for anything o value…but I appreciate this is a true gift, and I won't turn it down for so cheap a price. You can join free for 30 days, watch the free movies on LC, and full interviews, and then decide.

Thankfully with the internet I dive into PubMed daily, or Renal or Nutrition Journals, and have so many technical articles in my files I am swimming in 'support' by medical experts on this choice for my food and lifestyle.

PS: I was carping over Saturated fats not as accepted (I love my butter!) and not as good as PUFA-polyfats like Canola--but it has been proven PUFAs lower CVA risk by 20%.. that is pretty big for overweight/obese folk, as we do risk heart strain as well as diabetes, etc.

Thankfully I found a perfect food for me, with 15 gr fat..12.5 are PUFA, 1.5 Saturated, and 2.5 MUFA (mono fats like olive oil) …all GOOD oils, AND high in easily digestible protein. Hemp seed.

I am on a plant based LCHF for kidney health, and hulled hemp seeds are the most amazing, non-meat, fully loaded with essential amino acids to replace MEAT food…and so easy to eat. and the cost is far lower than buying prime grass fed meats. Most people are so unfamiliar and this food is a recent legal import from Canada, is organic, and so beneficial it is a real positive for people like me. and if someone wants to choose 1-3 replacement meat meals a week with it, learn more: http://www.purehealingfoods.com/hempHeartsInfo.php

I found this brand locally Just Hemp….…most HFS carry it now. but this online price is great!

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Hemp-Foods-Percent-Natural/dp/B00MHDWV6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432246152&sr=8-1&keywords=just+hemp
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 19:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyGurl
Thankfully I found a perfect food for me, with 15 gr fat..12.5 are PUFA, 1.5 Saturated, and 2.5 MUFA (mono fats like olive oil) …all GOOD oils, AND high in easily digestible protein. Hemp seed.

I LOVE hemp hearts! They are so tasty. I started putting them on my salads, but then found out I like them just as they are. Being so tiny, they are a bit of a challenge to eat, but worth it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Hemp Seed and Magnesium for Health

Bonnie--yes, I mix them in steamed veggies, on salads, in cream cheese & flavored with vanilla, rolled in chopped almonds as a 'cookie dough ball' dessert…they can be toasted lightly, added into Thai spicy almond sauce for Chicken or veggie Satay…added to protein shakes, and eaten raw by hand.

I emailed D. Fung who teaches LCHF and fasting to his diabetes patients. He is gaining great fame in helping very sick people reverse their illness and get off insulin ( T2, not T1 who need it)

Because I MUST get good protein in my plant-based diet, Hemp seeds with their ideal essential Amino Acids gives me an option without eating meat.

I've been talking about getting Magnesium in our diets, 70-80% of USAmericans are too low.. many can take OTC pils like SLoMag..but it has double calcium which I dont need, so I found other solutions safe for me.

BUT FOOD is the best way to get Mg daily and Hemp Seeds are a miracle in that they contain 100% of RDA in just 6 tablespoons..yippee…

Spinich, almonds and other foods are high, BUT in factory farming you have no idea if you are getting ANY Mg due to poor soils. So Hemp Seed from Canada is a food option that offers Ideal protein AND needed Mg.
Q on getting Mg in food and supplement for CKD patients:
Dr. Jason Fung: In kidney disease…. I would generally think that dietary sources of Mg are best."
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 08:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think a sign of emotional intelligence or maturity is being able to act like you need to act, even when you're not excited and highly motivated. Maybe recognizing that this is a skill you need to cultivate will help?

I'm not saying you're not intelligent or mature, it is just a different sort of thing, one that few people actually manage to develop.

Sometimes just doing what your intellect is saying is right brings the feelings along later.

Most people work like this:

Have feelings --> Act on them

I think it is better to work like this:

Have thoughts (hopefully deeply )--> Act on them
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 08:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyGurl
Bonnie--yes, I mix them in steamed veggies, on salads, in cream cheese & flavored with vanilla, rolled in chopped almonds as a 'cookie dough ball' dessert…they can be toasted lightly, added into Thai spicy almond sauce for Chicken or veggie Satay…added to protein shakes, and eaten raw by hand.

I emailed D. Fung who teaches LCHF and fasting to his diabetes patients. He is gaining great fame in helping very sick people reverse their illness and get off insulin ( T2, not T1 who need it)

Because I MUST get good protein in my plant-based diet, Hemp seeds with their ideal essential Amino Acids gives me an option without eating meat.

I've been talking about getting Magnesium in our diets, 70-80% of USAmericans are too low.. many can take OTC pils like SLoMag..but it has double calcium which I dont need, so I found other solutions safe for me.

BUT FOOD is the best way to get Mg daily and Hemp Seeds are a miracle in that they contain 100% of RDA in just 6 tablespoons..yippee…

Spinich, almonds and other foods are high, BUT in factory farming you have no idea if you are getting ANY Mg due to poor soils. So Hemp Seed from Canada is a food option that offers Ideal protein AND needed Mg.
Q on getting Mg in food and supplement for CKD patients:
Dr. Jason Fung: In kidney disease…. I would generally think that dietary sources of Mg are best."

Pumpkin seeds are the food highest in Mg.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 09:37
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think a sign of emotional intelligence or maturity is being able to act like you need to act, even when you're not excited and highly motivated. Maybe recognizing that this is a skill you need to cultivate will help?

I'm not saying you're not intelligent or mature, it is just a different sort of thing, one that few people actually manage to develop.

Sometimes just doing what your intellect is saying is right brings the feelings along later.

Very well said, Nancy. I agree.

I just read an article on this exact topic:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kerry...kusaolp00000592

excerpt:
Quote:
It's about becoming and staying CONSCIOUS on your weight loss journey.

Gone are the days of restriction and deprivation. The NEW way allows you to be who you are, eat delicious food, and let go of the obsessiveness that has haunted you. No dieting or over exercising required.

I invite you to stop struggling.

You may be thinking... easier said than done, but that doesn't have to be true. If you've ever felt trapped by resistance then you want to first change your mindset. To change your mindset you will need to be consistently telling yourself beliefs that are SUPPORTIVE of the ease you want to bring into your weight loss journey.

For example, if you're constantly saying, "Weight loss is too hard, it never works for me," then you could shift that into, "I'm excited about the commitment I've made to get healthy and happy. I'm already in gratitude for the shifts that are headed my way."

The next thing you need to do is stop declaring war on your body. Instead, slow down and breathe. Ask yourself what does my body really want to nourish it? And then when eating start to ask yourself questions such as, "How does my food actually taste?" "Is my body really still physically hungry?"

The key is to start to tune into what it is your body and mind really want. Often times excess weight is a result of a disconnection from yourself. Many people don't even realize that they are disconnecting to begin with!

Use this very moment to be a doorway for yourself to walk through... to greater understanding, clarity, and enlightenment that your body is on your side. You two are on the same team and it's time to get into a beautiful, synchronized dance with one another.

The moment you decide to start and then you take ACTION, that is the moment that your transformation begins... and only YOU can decide when that is going to happen.

This is exactly what I had to do to start back in 2004. I had to change my mind and my attitude. One day at a time, I came here, read and logged my food. I did that daily for 20 months and it got me to my goal weight.

We have to shift our thinking and our attitudes to stay on task.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Hemp Seed highest in MG, pumpkin seeds 2nd

Hi Meme… I am so glad you mentioned these too. My posts tend to get long whenI try to cover everything..but here goes:

I had researched them when I began my LCHF lifestyle, and I LOVE pumpkin seeds, keep a big bag of roasted salted seeds in the shell for snacking and in the car for a good boost. (my hubby used to tease me for having pockets full of pumpkin seeds during winter months to eat, replacing salted sunflower seeds) They offer tryptophan..good for sleeping..so maybe eat them i the afternoon?

They are CLOSE to Hemp Seed: 28 gr serving of Hemp Seed is 50% Mg
32.25gr serving of pumpkin seeds is 48% Mg

so measuring by exact weight of hulled seeds of each Hemp seed has 57% Mg at 32.25 (1.4 cup) and Pumpkin has the 48%. pretty close! AND much cheaper to buy and eat pumpkin seeds.

Pumpkin seed is a wonderful addition to the diet for Mg, yes…and other good benefits, and Hemp Seed is Ideal for anyone who MUST have a no meat protein diet. Having BOTH supports the diet wonderfully!

Same serving of : Hemp seed has 25% 10 gr protein, pumpkin is 20% 8gr, and they are higher on Phosphorous at 57% RDA..which needs to be watched for kidney patients like me.

A Vegan Brit cook has a great use for Pumpkin seeds..she takes a 1/4-1/2 cup with her to restaurants where she knows there is only a salad choice for her vegan LCHF diet..and she sprinkles them on top. adding nutrition, she does the same with hemp seed too. Socially it is more important to be dining with friends and getting her main protein at home, and just order what is on plan for her diet. see interview here:
How to become a fat burning low carb Vegan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmXo7Uonik
+++++++++++++++++++

RESEARCH: MOST seeds are high in protein/oils Hemp, Flax and Pumpkin are three. Almonds are good, have more carbs.

There are eight amino acids the human body cannot make and two more the body cannot make in sufficient quantity, so they are essential to life. A diet without any one of them will eventually cause disease and death. These essential amino acids, along with eleven others the body can make from them, are chained together in accordance to genetic guidelines

The best way to insure the body has enough amino acid material to make the globulins is to eat foods high in globulin proteins. Since hemp seed protein is 65% globulin edistin, and also includes quantities of albumin, its protein is readily available in a form quite similar to that found in blood plasma. Eating hemp seeds gives the body all the essential amino acids required to maintain health, and provides the necessary kinds and amounts of amino acids the body needs to make human serum albumin and serum globulins like the immune enhancing gamma globulins. Eating hemp seeds could aid, if not heal, people suffering from immune deficiency diseases. This conclusion is supported by the fact that hemp seed was used to treat nutritional deficiencies brought on by tuberculosis, a severe nutrition blocking disease that causes the body to waste away. [Czechoslovakia Tubercular Nutritional Study, 1955]

Hemp seed oil comprises 35% of the total seed weight. This oil has the lowest amount of saturated fatty acids at 8%, and the highest amount of the polyunsaturated essential fatty acids at 80%, total oil volume. Flax seed oil comes in second at 72% combined total essential fatty acids.

Linoleic acid (LA) and linolenic acid (LNA) cannot be made by the human body and must be obtained through the diet, so they are called essential fatty acids (EFA).

FROM: Hemp Line Journal, July-August 1992, pp. 14-15, Vol. I No. 1
HEMP SEED: THE MOST NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE FOOD SOURCE IN THE WORLD
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 08:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

That is awesome and so true.

So many people wander around, waiting for motivation to leap out of the bushes and MAKE them do what they want to do. Instead, we should DECIDE what we want to do... and give ourselves permission to do that.

Those feelings of depression that make you want to eat junk food is caused by the junk food! Assert yourself over these urgings and they will go away.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 09:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

April 23rd was greenbaby's last post.
If you return, Dr Westman suggests any generic version of Centrum Silver for a low or no-iron multi, like Walmart's Equate.

Is your doctor one who specializes in obesity using low carb? Some will combine a LC diet with medications in the beginning to help you over cravings, etc. in the short term. Check the ASBP list for your area and call offices to learn about the programs and any medications if appropriate.
http://www.asbp.org/patients.html