Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 14:16

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Okay, I admit I love food. I always have. It can never be "just fuel" to me. If I don't enjoy my food then life is just drab and gray for me. Luckily LCHF foods are pretty yummy for the most part! Unlike strict low-fat foods. Back in the 80s I went on a strict low-fat diet and lost a TON of weight. Frankly as far as weight loss goes it worked far better for me than LC has ever worked. The only problem was that I was miserable from day one until the day I decided I couldn't stand it a minute more and would rather weigh 300 pounds than continue eating like that. (and of course I got my wish).

I don't feel that way about LC. Most of my meals are satisfying. I can eat the same thing often (stir-fried meat and veggies is a staple for me) but have it taste different because of different spices. One night it may be garlic, one night chili powder, one night curry powder, etc.

That said, even after eight years there are STILL foods I miss and would love to have again. I still remember my favorite eclairs - that I would drive 20 miles out of my way to go pick up a few. I *know* they are bad for me, but knowing something doesn't always help me deal with it. Luckily 1) the bakery went out of business and 2) I moved 900 miles away.

But I do avoid those things. I know all about how bad they are for me health. But I'm being honest, I still miss them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Be Worthy - since you mentioned the cheesecake thing, why don't you try to make this easy dessert:

1. Melt a pack of sugar-free jello (lime flavour is good) in a tiny amount of water in the microwave (30-60 secs). Give it a really good stir to ensure it's melted.

2. Instead of using water to make up your jelly, you can add softened cream cheese and some water or cream. (You can use cream cheese, coconut milk, greek yoghurt, cream or anything similar, and add however much water you want, as it lowers the carbs and calories and makes it lighter).

3. Stir it well then leave to set in the fridge. You could decorate it with a lime slice if you like.

I don't bother with a base, but it you miss the crunch, you could sprinkle a thick layer of crushed nuts on the top.

This is very, very quick and easy to prepare. Sugar-free jello doesn't contain the healthiest sweeteners, so if you prefer something healthier, you could make an alternative using unflavoured gelatine, lime juice or mashed rasps or strawbs, plus erythritol or whatever other sweetener you prefer.

You just need some nice treat items occasionally.. You can justify buying them, because you probably spent money on bad choices before.. Smoked trout is a great favourite of mine. Or roll-ups made from ham spread with cream cheese.

Why not have a shot at learning to make a good curry. A good butter chicken or a wonderful creamy korma are well worth trying to cook. We haven't been able to shop for about a week, but we had a gorgeous creamy curry tonight made from store cupboard and freezer ingredients. Delish!

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Jan-06-15 at 16:42.