Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 197/187/165
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default new to BFL - don't understand

Hi, please forgive me in advance. Quick flick through the BLF book at 4am (insomnia) - can't see where it actually says how many to do when you start out.
The book gives I think 7 days of sheets - they basically all say the same number of reps - you don't build up - or do more as you get fitter? Is this right? Sounds like I have missed something.
Also we have a pretty good home gym (just purchased) but it looks as if I will have to buy dumbbells and a weight bench or is this not the case. Ours has two stations and is all cables and weights and lat pulldowns. Is this enough?
We are on Sugar Busters but I am thinking that my husband would be better on the BFL diet?? He is not much overweight and he will exercise hard. His problem is too many carbs give him afternoon sugar drop.
All input and advice and experience gratefully received! Sally
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 06:09
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

sallyPL

Congrats on your decision to do BFL, I just love it.

On your reps, you do pyramind. Here is an example of an Upper Body Workout and the weights represented are only an example everyone works at their own level and pace.

Dumb Bell Flyes
12 reps 5 lbs.
10 reps 8 lbs.
8 reps 10 lbs..
6 reps 13 lbs.
12 reps 15 lbs. (high point)
Incline Dumb bell Press (same muscle group just different exercise)

This is clearly stated in the book. You can download the forms
at http://www.bodyforlife.com/downloads.shtml

Hope this helps. Just remember to start out slow.

HN
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 08:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by HerbNurse
Dumb Bell Flyes
12 reps 5 lbs.
10 reps 8 lbs.
8 reps 10 lbs..
6 reps 13 lbs.
Incline Dumb bell Press (same muscle group just different exercise)

Unless the newer books have a different lifting scheme than the one I bought last November the pyramid should look like this:

Chest press (compound move should be first exercise)
12 reps 5 lbs.
10 reps 8 lbs.
8 reps 10 lbs.
6 reps 13 lbs.
12 reps 10 lbs.

Fly (isolating exercise) for second move
12 reps at whatever you can accomplish 11 or 12 reps at - this is where you reach failure (high point). Based on the numbers of the example for the first exercise this one would be around 10 lbs (less because it is an isolating evercise so those muscles are working all by their lonesome).

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 18:34
Registered Member

BF:

OK! Thankyou.
Next question is how do you know what is a good weight to start with. For instance, my husband is fairly strong and fit but not "weightlifting fit". He is 54. What weight would be good to start from.
What would I start with - walking fit only.

In addition to our home gym - which has no free weights - I guess we are going to need to buy some stuff. As we have already spent a lot, not too much more would be great

Can we use the gym weights instead of buying dumbells. Obviously we will have to buy some free weights but I would like to keep this to a minimum.

Many thanks to all you inspirational people. Sally
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 18:51

BF:

Sally, the best way to determine which weight to use for your various sets is to find your One Rep Mas (1RM). Now you don't want to go out and start lifting weights that are too heavy for you right off the bat so I'd suggest picking a weight - say 10 lbs and trying that for your chest presses. If it's 'very easy' then you know your 1RM is higher.

Exercises that incorporate many muscle groups will allow you to lift heavier weights (e.g., the chest press, the squat, the deadlift, the skull crusher) than those that isolate muscles (e.g., the fly, the leg extenion, the hamstring curl, the tricep kickback). Lower body exercises will also use higher weights simply because they are larger muscles.

Your set of 6 reps should be approx 80% of your 1RM
Your set of 8 reps should be approx 75% of your 1RM
Your set of 10 reps should be approx 70% of your 1RM
Your set of 12 reps should be approx 65-60% of your 1RM (this is for your initial set of 12, your 'warm up' set).

For your second exercise I would advise going with 75% of your IRM - it's all going to depend on how fatigued your muscles are at this point. As you get stronger this weight will also increase. Remember, this is the exercise where you reach positive failure (the inability to complete another rep with correct form).

As for the free weights - if you're going to work out at home, yes, you might need a few (again, this will depend on the other equipment you own). A weight bench that adjusts to the incline / decline position would be a good investment, as would a curling bar and a good pair of lifting gloves.

If you have any more questions, fire away
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 20:23
Registered Member

BF:

Nat,
Thankyou so much for all your help - this is all rather confusing. We have the following gym equipment. Would you be kind enough to have a look at this equipment and then tell me what we will need to buy to do BFL properly.
www.homegymcentral.com/pages/bodycraft/galena

I'm sorry I don't know how to do a link! If that doesn't work, the equipment is Bodycraft brand, model Galena with leg press.
There's a lot of gear so hopefully we won't have to buy too much.

Do you follow the BLF diet? Thankyou again. Sally
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 08:20

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Hi!!!

I'm starting BFL tomorrow!!!! Yeay!!! I can't wait!!!

Based on everything I have read about the BFL system, you should be able to do everything on that home system. Looks like it is well equipped for everything! At the very most, you may want a set of light weight dumbbells, 1 lb, 2 lb, 5 lb, etc... just to start off... I don't know what the lightest weight on that machine is, and if you don't have a strong muscle structure, you may need to start off a couple of excercises with lighter weights than the machine offers.

I'm jealous that you have the room to have that in your house! I'm still an apartment dweller, and that is not an option to me at this time.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Kate
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 08:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by sallyPL
I'm sorry I don't know how to do a link! If that doesn't work, the equipment is Bodycraft brand, model Galena with leg press.
There's a lot of gear so hopefully we won't have to buy too much.

Do you follow the BLF diet?

Sally, I looked at the gym system - very nice. You should be able to use that well with the BFL program. As Kate suggested you might want to pick up a few dumbbells in the 3-5-10-15 lb range for some exercises (concentration curls, tricep extentions, lateral raises). Some of these you could do on the system, I would just worry that the increments would be too great for the smaller muscles.

Re the diet: For the first few challenges I used LC with a few modifications. If you click on the Journal link under my posts you can read some of my menus - I started November 11th, 2001. As I get closer to maintenance I have found that calories do matter more and I have since modified my eating to include higher carbs and lower fat, a la BLF crossed with The Zone.

If you're looking for some LC BFL menu ideas check out the following journals: LisaF, Marlaine and Homegirl.

Best of luck to you - And to you too Kate!
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 08:00

Plan: LC & BFL
Stats: 214/175/150 Female 5'6
BF:will/update/:)
Progress: 61%

Hello BFL'ers!

I am so excited to start! I am doing a dry-run this week & starting officially on 11/11.

My questions pertain to the weight training exercises. I have read the book twice & did download the sheets from the BFL Web site...I still am confused as to the section which has a place for two high points after each body area...I see the reps for 12, 10, 8 & 6...I understand that we fill in our own weight that we used but then there is a place to write in two high points with 12 reps each.

Is this what we do at the end of each set of muscle groups? Two sets of 12 reps to get our personal best for that day? And, if so, which exercise(s) are we doing from the book to get these personal bests?

I am a bit confused.
Thank you in advance for your help!