Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

my calves ache after standing for several hours. i'm a cashier, so i'm really used to standing. this has only started recently. also, i wake up with cramps in my calves in the middle of the night, when i turn over. i switched my salt to 1/2 salt about 2 months ago. i increased my calcium from 600mg to 1200mg about a week ago. i also take a multi w/minerals. any ideas what else i can do? i walk 30-45 minutes a day and i work out with weights, so it's not from being sedentary.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 17:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb muscle cramps

hi debbie,

First thing I thought when I started to read your post was Calcium, but yer doing that already. Potassium is generally associated with muscle FATIGUE, and not so much cramping.

Magnesium is muscle food, does your calcium supp. also have mag in it?? Since you're having symptoms, a 1:1 formula would be a good idea, for at least a month or two, then 2:1 (twice as much calcium as mag) -- or 750 to 1000 mg Mag, for a month or two, then cut back to 500 mg.. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is the type of calcium. Generally a chelate form - citrate, gluconate, malate is more completely absorbed than the carbonate form. The chelate forms are bound to a protein molecule, which helps carry the mineral through the intestinal lining into the blood stream.

Have you been gardening, or doing more yardwork or other things around the house. Just might be a pulled muscle ?? Hope it's better soon ..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 19:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Is it possible that you are also dehydrated?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 19:09

BF:

thanks so much for the speedy reply doreen! no, i don't have magnesium in my calcium supplement. also i just checked and my calcium is calcium carbonate from oyster shells. it's a wal-mart brand; equate o-calcium.
where would i find calcium citrate, gluconate or malate? should i check out a healthfood store or gnc?
doreen, you're terrific! you're always such a wealth of knowledge.
btw, i haven't started gardening yet. we've been painting my son's room the last 2 weekends.
thanks again doreen!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 19:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by debbiedobson
btw, i haven't started gardening yet. we've been painting my son's room the last 2 weekends.
thanks again doreen!
Hmmm..... let me guess, on a ladder, standing on tip-toe, reaching and straining, alternating with crouching and on hands and knees to do baseboards. When I moved 2 summers ago, my previous landlord gave me a break on my last month's rent in exchange if I painted the kitchen and living room. Sounded like a good deal to me. hahahahaaa... NOT. I thought I'd never be able to walk again, up and down that ladder .. Ugghhh.

I use Jamieson, just simply called Calcium /Magnesium with vitamin D. and I do believe I got it at Walmart. Bought this bottle recently too, and it's a bonus size, get 200 for the price of 100. Says it's a "microbound formula of carbonate, citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate sources. It's a 2:1 formula, 333 mg cal, 167 mg mag . I take 3x per day .... take the 3rd dose at bedtime, calcium has a calming effect ..

I bet your son's room looks great.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 04:54

BF:

thanks doreen, i'll be heading to walmart after work today. i found health food stores and gnc so overpriced!
greg's room will look great once we lay the carpet. i't sitting there rolled up, just waiting. the hard wood floors are a mess and dave can't be bothered sanding them.

wa'il, i'm definitely not dehydrated. i drink 4-5 litres of water daily. i'm a real water hog! but thanks for asking!

thanks for all the help!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 06:11

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Debbie

I'd put money on magnesium. When I was pregnant and before I figured out I had gestational diabetes (therefore more weeing, losing of salts and more likelihood of cramps) as well as after. I had terrible leg cramps and it got to the point where I was scared to go to bed at night. I was taking a ton of calcium but it wasnt till my brother (a doctor) told me to take magnesium that I got the problem sorted. Pottasium was also mentioned and something about eating bananas but I dont think thats going to be much help to you.

I must admit on this diet I keep tentatively looking for the first signs of cramp somewhere. Cramp and I are mortal enemies....

Nicola
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 14:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Calcium question

While we're on the topic, I'm curious as to what sources (other than the obvious oyster shell stuff which I read somewhere should come with a heavy metal warning...) calcium supplements come from.

I'm trying to avoid crushed up animal bones and would like to find a vegetarian (well aside from dairy-based) supplement.

Any suggestions supplement-goddesses?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 17:37

BF:

thanks for the help doreen and nicola. i bought the jamieson calcium and magnesium w/zinc. i didn't get the one with vit D because my multi has vitD. i got 200 pills for $7.67 at walmart. what a good deal. i can't wait for the results. my calves are aching right now. i was on my feet for over 8 hours at work today. i work a full day on thursdays and then i do my weekly shopping. (i don't want to waste my friday shopping!)

mrs. yogi, i think almonds are a source of calcium and so is tofu.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 19:40

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Hey Deb, sure hope that does the trick for you! Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

I to buy from Walmart whenever possible, hey we gotta save those pennys to buy more clothes in smaller sizes!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 19:44

BF:

love your way of thinking tina!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 19:50

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

hehehe well I used to HATE to shop because that meant my clothes were to tight and I was going to have to go up yet another size!

I remember to many days of crying in the dressing room because I couldn't find clothes that could hide all of the fat I was gaining.

Now I LOVE to shop! It amazes me that I can wear small sizes and look decent in them! But .... my husband asked me to STOP losing anymore weight because he knows that I require a new wardrobe in each size I go down hehehe
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 21:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheheheheh

Too cute Tina . One day I shall have your problem on having my hubby ask me to stop losing because I shop too much.

*giggles*
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 16:38

BF:

this is fantastic! i just started taking the cal/mag yesterday afternoon. i've had 3 doses so far. my calves aren't aching! i wasn't at work today, but i was cleaning house all day and then i walked the dog for over 1/2 an hour. usually when i sit down at the computer, my legs are aching, but not today! the acid test will be tonight when i'm sleeping. i'll report back tomorrow how well it goes tonight.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 17:10

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Whooo hoooo Debbie, sure glad to hear that great news Glad your feeling better!