Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of all
Stats: 185/174/130
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi all! I just went to fitday.com and found that on average I'm eating 1582 calories and 14 carbs a day. Are these healthy and sufficient amounts for this woe? I love all the new pictures! I can already see big diffs in everyone! Way to go guys!

PS
I was writing this a minute ago and pushed something that made the whole site disappear! If the first one posted also, please forgive my duplication!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 224/206/170
BF:
Progress:

Good question!

I'm in the middle of a little experiment right now to try and figure out the answer. I was stalled for about 3 weeks (pounds and inches). I didn't gain any but I didn't lose any either. I was keeping my carbs below 20 every day and was getting royally frustrated. So, I decided to try fitday.com and realized I was eating about 1900 calories a day, on average. So, a week and a half ago I decided to target 1200-1300 calories a day and still keep the carbs below 20 to see what might happen. A week into this little experiment I had an inches whoosh! I lost 2 inches in a week! I haven't gotten on the scales yet (I try to avoid them for psychological reasons ) so I can't say how many pounds have come off, but I can tell you the stall has definitely been broken!!

So, I'm guessing that as you progress through time into this WOE, calories may actually count. But at least if you pig out on pork rinds, you probably won't gain any weight but you won't lose any either. I would also bet that counting calories is irrelevant during the first 3-5 weeks, it's only after that that it may hinder your progress... Just my humble opinion, of course...

Emma
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Ok you two, heres a dumb one for you....how does one count calories? (Never done it before).

Wendy

#4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Talking

Wendy,

That's not a dumb question! On the fitday.com site it counts it for you, based on the food and portion you enter. Otherwise, I look at the nutritional info on food packaging. Do they not list calories on food packaged in Canada?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:18

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

duh, yes they do....not thinking here...LOL
I thought there was a special way of counting...hehehe

Wendy

ps. next question...how many calories are we to have daily...I never counted calories in all my life. I have done Weight watchers and one didn't count there, done Dr. Beirnstein and had to go daily for shots and follow a food chart etc...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well, as to how many calories need to be eaten to lose weight depends on a number of factors: height, weight, level of activity, etc. So it varies with each person. But you have to be careful you eat enough! Too few calories can be just as damaging as too many! I think for me to lose, I should be between 1200-1500 calories a day to lose weight given my height, weight, and activity level. But I'm really not sure!!

Maybe someone who really knows this area better than me can respond (hint, hint Doreen T).....

Right now, I'm kind of playing with it to see what works best for me without being hungry or unsatisfied.

Emma
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Wink

It's ok Wendy, I'd swear it was Monday all over again for me! I haven't read anything that limits or requires a certain amount of calories on the lc woe. From some things that I've read on here though, I've gotten the impression that if we're consuming too few calories it will slow our metabolism - thus stopping the weight loss. I was just kind of looking for a reasonable # to go by!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 15:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by steff75tx
......on average I'm eating 1582 calories and 14 carbs a day. Are these healthy and sufficient amounts for this woe?
hi Steff,

Um, I can't remember which plan yer following. Anyway, Atkins is the most "carb-restrictive" - at least during the two-week Induction phase, but does not recommend that you go below the 20 carbs per day limit for prolonged periods. After Induction, you should be upping your carbs by 5 grams a day per week, until you reach a level where you are losing weight reasonably (about a pound a week) and if you're testing ketones, there should be at least a trace showing. That's what OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) is all about .. .. Is the 14 carbs the TOTAL carbs, or carbs AFTER fiber?? (remember that Atkins does NOT subtract fiber for the carb levels) If that's your total carbs, it's too low. Add another salad or more lowcarb veggies.

About calories. A rule of thumb is that you should be consuming 10 to 12 calories per lb. of your current weight. This also means that as you get smaller, your calorie intake will too. Do NOT go below 1200 calories a day; this is the level that even Weight Watchers keeps its members at. Two negative things will happen if you go to very low calories (VLC) -
  • you will lose water and fat, at first, but then your body will begin to break down your muscle tissue in order to meet its energy requirements. Muscle has a higher metabolic rate than any other tissue in the body. You want to keep your muscles, in fact, you want to build MORE muscles in order to enhance this higher metabolism effect!! When lowcarbing, as long as you're consuming enough protein and calories to avoid muscle loss, your body will use FAT as the primary energy source.
  • your metabolic rate works on a set-point mechanism, and it's amazingly adaptive. It's built into our survival "genes" or whatever. Anyway, during prolonged periods of insufficient energy intake (too few calories) the body adapts by slowing down the metabolism. It thinks, "hey, we're not getting enough fuel to run at full speed, we're only getting enough to run at 3/4 speed". So, it slows down, and adapts to the reduced fuel supply. Of course, the frustrated dieter hits a plateau at this point, and decides to drop the calories even further ... the metabolism responds eventually by slowing again ... and so on. The bigger problem is that once the metabolism slows, the body "forgets" that it was ever running at a higher rate. Basically, you're stuck at this reduced level, and will gain weight when you try to eat more.
How to avoid loss of muscle?? Make sure you eat enough protein. Rule of thumb is minimum 0.5 gm per lb of ideal weight, but no less than 60 gm per day. That's for sedentary women. If you're male, or active, the requirement goes up to 0.6 or even 0.7 gm per lb. of ideal weight if you are very athletic, or do heavy physical labour. Another way to build muscle is weight lifting or resistance-type exercise.

Keep your metabolism up by ensuring adequate protein intake, try not to go below the 20 carbs a day for prolonged periods, and eat FAT. Studies have shown that daily intake of monounsaturated fatty acids, such as olive and flax oil especially can actually boost the metabolic rate (small boost, but hey who's complaining??) Note that flax seeds naturally contain the oil. And engage in regular exercise.

Doreen

p.s.- lots of other very knowledgeable folks around here too!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 06:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That was excellent Doreen! Even though I didn't start this post, I'm glad you put some of those details in there, it helps me out a lot too...

Emma
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 07:47

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Does regular exercise include??? TEEHEEEE if ya got my drift.. I don't think hubby could handle that.. ROFLMAO.. Sorry needed a good laugh here.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 09:48

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up nudge nudge, wink wink

I believe it does, Joanne! Just think of the health-promoting benefits - cardio workout, fatburning, muscle toning - good for everyone, surely you can convince him!!!

Now that gives me an idea for a health club.....

I'll write the business plan, anyone know where we can get funding???

Rachel
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 18:04

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking rachel

ROFLMAO!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 18:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Wink

This is definitely a case where the routine should be varied ... and frequent. Also, resistance-type exercise is futile.

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 20:47

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default hoink hoink... teehee

I guess the most common would be pushups eh?? ROFLMAO...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 23:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
This is definitely a case where the routine should be varied ... and frequent. Also, resistance-type exercise is futile.

Doreen

...and you will be assimilated!

Sorry, couldn't resist a Star Trek joke!

Karen