Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 14:21
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Green tea, zinc help in weight loss

For whatever this is worth to you:

"Green Tea: Consider green tea as your beverage of choice if
you're trying to lose weight. People given green tea extract
burned more total and more fat calories than those given
caffeine or placebo in a study published in American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition." (Source: Joann Bally, Exercise Guru from http://www.exercise-tips.com - one of 500+ sites at lifetips.com)

Green tea extract is available as a nutrional supplement.

I also recall that my doctor once told me that extra zinc in the diet helps with weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 01:08

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hey Terri,

Thanks for the info. I just bought some green tea tonight, so I am glad to hear that it is so good for me. I have stopped using regular tea at the moment because it is fermented, but I really wanted to replace it with something. Herbals don't do much for me.

I read that green tea is good for prevention of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis, but I didn't know about weight loss. (Teacup) Bottoms up!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: modified bfl
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Green Tea Extract

Hey Teri

When buying green tea extract, what should I look for? How much should I take per day?

Thanks
shae
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about Green Tea

As you can see from the review, to get the metabolic benefits of green tea you'd have to drink a lot of it - the extract which you can take instead will deliver the results you're looking for and there is the added bonus that it they do not contain caffeine.

WholeHealthmd.com has a great write up about Green Tea as well.

For what it's worth, I've been taking green tea extract along with CLA (also written up at Supplementwatch.com) since April 30th. I have noticed an increase in my rising body temp - signalling a rise in RMR (resting metabolic rate). I am now sitting back waiting for the fat to start melting off me

Nat

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Dec-01-03 at 07:38.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 00:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

good info Teri-doodle and Nat, thanks, That's all the encouragement I need to swap totally to green tea. I'd already started drinking it, so I'll now make sure I get my 4 - 10 cups a day! It's also helping to reduce my milk intake, since I don't like black tea without milk. So - I'm just waiting to metamorphose into a new slimmer (but hotter) me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:46

BF:

Jay, not sure if it's mentioned in either of those reviews, but green tea must be drunk 'green' - adding milk or sugar (not likely in our cases) will negate the effect of the EGCG (the substance that makes green tea thermogenic)

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Talking Thanks!

Thanks so much for this information -- I'd still be drinking my relatively useless coffee if I hadn't seen these posts. Great information, and now I feel righteous about my caffeine intake in the morning

-petra
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default green tea extract

Hi Nat

Thanks for the info. Still a little confused as to the amount you should take per day. Is it 100 mg? Also can you get the extract in decaffinated? I'm from Canada also & what brand do you find is the best & where did you get it?

Thanks
shae
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:30

BF:

Shae, dosages are described in the supplementwatch.com review - you really should read through all of it to be sure you get the right kind. It has to be standardized to a certain percentage of polyphenols to work. Decaffinated Green Tea does not have the same properties in the same concentrations as the caffinated tea, HOWEVER, as I stated above, the Green Tea Extract does not contain caffeine (you can read about more that in the wholehealthmd.com review).

I too am in Canada. I've only found Herbal Select brand thus far that meets the criteria.

HTH
Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default Oopps!

Sorry Nat, I misread your post & didn't go to the supplement watch web site. I just looked at WholeHealthmd.com. I have it figured out now.

Regards,

shae
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:15
Registered Member

BF:

"green tea must be drunk 'green' - adding milk or sugar (not likely in our cases) will negate the effect of the EGCG. "

Does this also include splenda? In the guidelines for use at WholeHealthmd.com it suggests adding a "generous dollop of honey" (which we wouldn't do anyway)

shae
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:19

BF:

Let me check, Shae. I have another source of info on green tea where the milk/sugar thing was mentioned.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by shae
Does this also include splenda? In the guidelines for use at WholeHealthmd.com it suggests adding a "generous dollop of honey" (which we wouldn't do anyway)

My bad, Shae. It's just milk. Go ahead with the splenda, or sugar, or honey

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Green Tea

I have a question... " green tea"... does it have to be a specific brand...par example I am making iced tea out of Tetley Earl Grey Green Tea as we speak... am I going to reap any benefits beside enjoying a cool sip by the pool

Bonnie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:36

BF:

Any green tea will do it for you, Bonnie. I've used the Earl Grey for iced tea and it's delicious. Just so long as it's not decaf you're getting the benefits (and you're still getting them with decaf, only at about 1/3 stength)

Nat