Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:00

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

What is the name of the Restaurant?

I'd like to give it a try the next time I am in the area.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 259/193/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:???
Progress:

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to post that! It is the Silver Salmon,
on the main street of Astoria, (Commercial). The owner told me that the Low Carb menu should be in place on this Sunday, and he let me look at it! Halibut, Salmon, pepper-jack chicken, spinach salad, Turkey melt, and even sugar free desserts. It sounds all so yummy!
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 16:03

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

For all Eugenians:

Both Ben & Jerry's scoop shops in town will have the new, low-carb Ben & Jerry's ice creams as of TOMORROW AFTERNOON!!! (I know where I'm making a special trip to tomorrow night).

My low-carb dream product has come to fruition...
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:18

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

ben and jerry's has lc ice cream??? is it in the stores yet???
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 11:29

hey all you northwesterners, we have slipped all the way to page 4. quiet around here!!

i just had a wonderful weekend at sand lake, on the coast just south of tillamook. a bit noisy with all the atv's but the weather was great!!

how are the rest of you all doing??
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 16:41
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Hey there acipencer. I did a spur of the moment run up to cannon beach myself. Saturday was picture perfect. By the way if you haven't found the Low carb ice cream yet the B and J on burnside has it. It was ok. Nothing I need to try again.

Gabrielle
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 18:00

No play for me

Worked all day in the yard on Saturday and went to my Mom's for Easter on Sunday.
Just found out that my DBF's Brother and Sister will be visiting in June AND we'll be hosting a family party while they're here. There is SO much to do to the house and yard to make them presentable. But I guess everyone will be getting a taste of LC cuisine.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:09

hey skyangle,

i did some yard work yesterday!! ugh the blackberries are killing me!!!
  #129   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 23:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/285/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 1%
Talking New to forum

Hello fellow NW-sters!
I'm so excited to see a thread for our region! I've found a lot of helpful stuff on here - thanks!
I am new to the forum, and looking for buddies online and in person for low carb support. I'd also like to find some exercise partners. I live in the Beaverton/Cedar Hills area.
Anyone up for some walking, or low carb shopping/cooking, or just trading helpful hints?
Take Care!
  #130   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:16

Welcome Starblader! I'm in the Salem area!

FYI -fellow Oregonians: Lobo's Low Carb store in Salem is closing

(I can't say I'm surprised. LC products are in all the markets now, I have shoped this store but why make an extra stop and pay high prices?)

The owners of LoBo’s say they couldn’t compete with chains.

MICHAEL ROSE
Statesman Journal
May 13, 2004

LoBo’s Low Carb World has been shoved out of its niche by supermarket chains, its owners said.

The Salem specialty store will close in June, said Lois Kaplan, who co-owns LoBo’s with her husband, Bo Bodenschatz. Their store at 1030 Broadway NE opened last year and sells about 1,500 products for consumers on low-carb diets. The store rang up strong sales until November, when the business suffered a sudden decline.

LoBo’s customer service, selection of products and spacious, 2,600-square-foot store weren’t enough to compete with supermarket chains that have added sections featuring low-carb food, its owners said.

“We didn’t expect so much of it to move into the big stores so rapidly,” Kaplan said.

Chain stores such as Fred Meyer Inc. and Wal-Mart Supercenters sometimes have sold low-carb products cheaper than LoBo’s can buy them wholesale, she said. Kaplan occasionally purchased low-carb products from the shelves of supermarket competitors in an attempt to offer her customers a similar deal.

But LoBo’s co-owner Bodenschatz said it was convenience offered by supermarkets, not their prices, that doomed the start-up business. Shoppers want to buy low-carb products and regular groceries in one stop, he said.

“There’s a book out there, ‘Who Moved My Cheese,’” he said. “Well, somebody moved our cheese.”

LoBo’s store is about twice as large as the typical low-carb store. Low-carb diets, such as the Atkins program, prompted many entrepreneurs to open small speciality stores selling items such as sugar-free cookies, low-carb bread and pasta.

LoBo’s went a step further and opened an in-store cafe. At its peak, LoBo’s retail operation had eight employees. It is down to three employees, including the owners.

Kaplan said that the future doesn’t look good for small low-carb stores or the small distributors supplying them with products. Many will have a difficult time surviving in a market that is shifting to large grocery stores, she said.

Faye Trupka, a regular customer at LoBo’s, said she was “very sad” to learn of the store’s imminent closing. Although Trupka occasionally shopped at supermarkets, she spent a large share of her grocery money at LoBo’s, she said.
  #131   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 14:56

hi starblater. i live in hillsboro. feel free to stop by my journal. i don't visit this thread very often, but check my journal almost daily!!
  #132   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 01:24

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I can't believe LoBo's is closing....they've only been open for a year....right? I understand the situation....but I have to admit that it's easier for me to shop at Fred Meyer and places like Salem Health Foods when I'm in Salem.

LoBo's will be missed.......
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 16:37

Plan: Still searching
Stats: 270/270/150 Female 5'5.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fellow Oregonian Here - Milwaukie

This is my 2nd message posting to these boards. First was my Journal . Just in case anybody is reading this, here is a post for Milwaukie, Oregon. I live near a track that would be great for a walking partner .
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 01:30

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Red face

Hate to say this also...but Low Carb n More store in Albany closed June 1st.....I just found out. Actually I'm not surprised...it seemed a bad location for the people who were aware of it....but I suspect a lot of people didn't know about the store because it wasn't on any main street where it could be seen easily. Also, it probably encountered the same difficulties as LoBo's in Salem....pricing and low carb additions to most supermarkets in the area.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Two new stores have opened up here in Boise recently. I wonder how long they will last. They both seem to have a great selection, but can they compete with the increasing selection in the chain stores? Add to that the fact low carb products are so readily available online, I don't see how they can survive.