Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 13:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks Dianna, hadn't noticed that "bonus".
Costello, I believe it was less than 2 weeks, really didn't make note, but remember thinking it came quickly.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 17:55

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Costello, I believe it was less than 2 weeks, really didn't make note, but remember thinking it came quickly.

Thanks!
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 06:50
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How long are the strips good after you open the package? I know with my regular meter they say about a month.

The Nova Max ketone strips are individually packaged in foil. The expiration date for my package is April 2014.

The Nova Max glucose strips are not individually packaged. They also have an expiration date of April 2014 and the bottle says "Discard 90 days after opening." I've used many different types of glucose strips and I've never come across any that said their lifetime is only a month after the container is open; even this 90-day notice is rare.

There are two general types of strips and meters: measurement based on either spectroscopy, where the blood is placed on a surface of reagent and hit with a tiny red laser beam, or electrochemistry, where the blood is sucked into the electrode chamber. In both cases, the chemical reagents used are stable, with the spectroscopy-based strips being extremely stable. I suspect that the 30 days expiration, and possibly even the 90 days, is a marketing device to get people to buy more strips.

I've never used one of the meters where you preload a container of about 10 strips into the meter. Those may have short periods in which the strips need to be used. The problem with those meters is that the chemicals on the strips can corrode the guts of the meter.

By the way, if you want do only occasional blood glucose testing and would prefer individually wrapped strips, I suggest the Wal-Mart Reli-On meter. The meter and strips are both relatively inexpensive, as well as the strips being individually wrapped, which is also nice if you don't want to carry a bulky container of strips around.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wonder if booze is the undoing of regular K for a lot of folks. Oh, their urine strips might turn, but are they really in NK?

Yes, I think so... Lots more than people want to admit.
  #125   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:49

Plan: vlc
Stats: 195/181/137 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Costello, mine came super fast, 3 days maybe, but I have heard of a delay now with one of the meters. I don't know which one Nova Max or Precision, but there is a glut of orders. Hope yours comes fast too.
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 00:35

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Today my new "baseline" measurement is 0.2. I'm really buckling down this time. Can't afford to keep wasting strips!
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 06:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks, Janet and Dianna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna D
Costello, mine came super fast, 3 days maybe, but I have heard of a delay now with one of the meters. I don't know which one Nova Max or Precision, but there is a glut of orders. Hope yours comes fast too.

It's the Jimmy Moore effect!
  #128   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 09:28

BF:

WOW!!!! THAT is so cool!!! HAHAHAHA If we all flood into our local pharmacies, maybe they would carry them, too!
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 10:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
By the way, if you want do only occasional blood glucose testing and would prefer individually wrapped strips, I suggest the Wal-Mart Reli-On meter. The meter and strips are both relatively inexpensive, as well as the strips being individually wrapped, which is also nice if you don't want to carry a bulky container of strips around.

That's what I use. I thought they said the strips were only good for a month after opening.

The strips aren't individually wrapped though. They come in a box. Inside that is a foil sealed bottle where the strips are. At least, for the Micrometer, that's the case.
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 14:20

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

The Reli-On Ultima from Walmart has the individually foil wrapped glucose test strips.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 14:24

BF:

I posted this in my experiment thread but VERY INTERESTING, thought this would raise some conversation.

DAY 16 July 31, 2012

I did not take my Natural Calm last night, as I was wondering if it was harboring fluids.
Weight 150.4
Fasting Glucose 81
Fasting Ketones .4*
++++
NEWS I had my coffee with 1oz HWC and 1 tbs coconut oil for breakfast and did not get to eat until about 1. I was very hungry and felt the buzz in my head I am used when I am in ketosis. I decided to try a test and it came up 1.8 !!!!!

So, does it take at least 15 hours of fasting to get a true reading? Anyone reading this know?
+++++
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 21:39

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky

So, does it take at least 15 hours of fasting to get a true reading? Anyone reading this know?
+++++

Is the coconut oil a usual addition??
(sorry if you've posted this in your other thread, which I am indeed following with interest, but my attention right now is totally distracted by an upcoming exam)

I ask because it's primarily made of medium-chain triglycerides, which as I understand it, the body basically doesn't store but burns immediately. That's how people can eat carbs and still register blood ketones, they use CO or MCTs. (google for a doctor in FL who is using ococnut oil to help treat her DH's Alzheimer's; Attia talks about MCT and uses it; others...)
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 22:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
Is the coconut oil a usual addition??
(sorry if you've posted this in your other thread, which I am indeed following with interest, but my attention right now is totally distracted by an upcoming exam)

I ask because it's primarily made of medium-chain triglycerides, which as I understand it, the body basically doesn't store but burns immediately. That's how people can eat carbs and still register blood ketones, they use CO or MCTs. (google for a doctor in FL who is using ococnut oil to help treat her DH's Alzheimer's; Attia talks about MCT and uses it; others...)

I have done a ton of research on coconut oil and started it at just about the beginning of my eating LC. I have two or three TBS a day.
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 16:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Jimmy Moore's Latest NK Update

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...ay-91-120/15560

He explains the differences between Nutritional Ketosis and Atkins Ketosis. Good posting... still reading.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 17:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This reminds me of his eggs and butter experiment. He was losing pretty steady on that, too--and I think he was probably in nutritional ketosis then, too. But for some reason, he stopped doing that. I think there's something about accountability, makes it easier to steer. All this measuring and graphing he's doing is a good thing.