Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 15:44
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Anybody know what a "diabetes educator" is? I'm not at all sure what that is. Also, there is no "ADA diet" per se. There may have been once, but there isn't now. The article you cited even says so:

Quote:
"There is no longer a diabetic diet. People with diabetes eat the exact same foods as anyone else," says Nathaniel Clark, national vice president for clinical affairs at the ADA. "We do not believe there is any harm in eating carbohydrates."

Semantics.

The ADA has specific Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) guidelines published....it is the foundation of dietary recommendations made to those with diabetes. It may not be called the "ADA Diet" anymore, but it remains the ADA's nutritional guideline for diet in those at risk for or diagnosed with diabetes.

You may want to take a peek at their bookstore - rich with books of ADA published book on how to eat with diabetes, with titles like "The Diabetes Food & Nutrition Bible," "Cooking With the Diabetic Chef," "Guide to Healthy Restaurant Eating," "Dr. Buynak's 1-2-3 Diabetes Diet," "Brand Name Diabetic Meals In Minutes".........amazing some of the books they'll place their logo on!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 17:02
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
No one here can really know the real reasons behind the decision the ADA make.

Their dogmatic, stubborn stance on macro-nutrients levels flies in the face of new evidence and common sense.

Ysabella is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believes they are honest, if maybe mistaken in some of their advice.

The rest of us, who are more cynical, think that there is simply no acceptable excuse for neglecting such a promising treatment as low-carb.

The especially cynical among us suspect a hidden agenda

I think that's it in a nutshell.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks, Angeline. I pride myself on being skeptical - which is not the same as cynical.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 20:14

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Perspective here seems to be important
<clip>
How about this - something of a slightly different perspective - that it's not about sponsors dictating recommendations, but something more subtle - years of money, support and promotion having a subtle influence in things that even those within the ADA may not be cognizant of within themselves.
If I may add my prospective from a time when polio was a parents nightmare - and my sister had it. Back then there was the "March of Dimes" dedicated to finding a cure/prevention of polio. Well a vaccine was found and polio is just a word to many people. Did the "March of Dimes" organization close up it's doors and go away with the satisfaction of having gotten the job done? NO! They found a new cause, worthy enough, do not misunderstand what I am saying, to champion and they kept on as an organization.

All these types of organizations take on a life of their own, be it the Heart Asso., American Cancer Society, or what ever. And like any other (living) organism their self preservation is instinctive. So Regina has a valid point that cannot be ignored, the ADA is probably as much concerned with its own existence as it is about anything else at a subconscious level especially. Hidden agendas (self preservation in the case of the ADA) are often a BAD thing and can even be oblivious to the parties involved, as Regina has implied. SAD!
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 21:13

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
the entrenched dogma, the desire to be right, the desire to maintain your life's work, the repeated and entrenched belief that treating symptoms is the best solution we have, the idealized thinking about the wonders of medicine and pharmaceuticals.....it all plays here if you ask me....and many many people have an entire life's work on the line to abandon if the current paradigm is shifted.

Your explanation for their mulishness has caused a paradigm shift in my own thinking. To embrace low carb they will have to accept they have been wrong for 20 years, and that they have been dispensing bad, even dangerous advice. It takes a very special kind of person to do that. I think most people can't do it. They will have to find some kind of compromise they can live with. In fact I think they have. Diets don’t work, let's just medicate people. Low carb doesn't work because no one can stick to it. Doesn't that sound like someone who is desperately trying to convince himself? They aren't lying to us, they are lying to themselves. The naked truth is just too scary.

Quote:
plenty of experience to provide insight for day to day details for a clinical guideline. They're not being asked to help because the ADA has dug their heels in here to stick with their dogma.

I can only see two things happening, either they will wake up one of these days and "discover" low carb, or they will make themselves so thoroughly irrelevant, they will never recover.

I can only hope that a younger generation, that isn’t so firmly entrenched in current dogma, will change the situation.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 23:04
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Perspective here seems to be important - what it seems you're saying is that criticism is unwarranted because the ADA sponsors couldn't possibly be dictating recommendations. Do I have that correct?
No! The sponsors might be doing so, for all I know. However, we have no actual proof showing that is what's happening. Criticism is warranted, it's always warranted, but unfounded accusations strike me as pointless.

Quote:
How about this - something of a slightly different perspective - that it's not about sponsors dictating recommendations, but something more subtle - years of money, support and promotion having a subtle influence in things that even those within the ADA may not be cognizant of within themselves.
I figure that falls under a form of dogmatism. Some people have said "corrupt" and this kind of thing might be what they mean, a subtle form of corruption.

Quote:
...what I think is more likely is a whole bunch of subtle things exerting influence - the entrenched dogma, the desire to be right, the desire to maintain your life's work, the repeated and entrenched belief that treating symptoms is the best solution we have, the idealized thinking about the wonders of medicine and pharmaceuticals.....it all plays here if you ask me....and many many people have an entire life's work on the line to abandon if the current paradigm is shifted.
Certainly. All those things are essentially enemies of good science, and of progress.

Quote:
I most definitely don't have time to go item by item of the 270 references posted, or the additional hundreds I have in my database.....nor do I expect, even if I did, anyone to take my word for it. As I said, I have read a good number of the references - full-text versions, not just abstracts - and from them, if taken as a body of research and a rich source of data, it's points toward carbohydrate restriction as beneficial for those with insulin resistance and/or diabetes.
You've done a lot more work than I have done.
But since the ADA focuses on diabetes-related research, not low-carb-related research, their database is different from yours, except where they overlap.

Quote:
what is clear in the data I've seen is that the carbohydrate-rich diet recommended by the ADA is not beneficial in the long-term - it causes a rebound effect beginning at 18-months after adoption which then dooms the individual following it to an increasing, lifelong dependence on multiple medications and ultimately injected insulin.
I can easily believe that. I'm not even diabetic and I wouldn't eat their diet.

Quote:
Wow....they can't really drive the paradigm shift? Are you kidding? They're responsible for collecting, presenting and communicating the latest and greatest science has to offer....they aren't limited to just their own journals, are they? They aren't limited to only studies they funded, are they?
My point was that they cannot make the studies happen in the first place. So, if they don't think there is enough data yet, they can't make more data happen.
We want to see lots of long-term study data on low-carb diets tested on diabetics, Type II in particular. The ADA can't just decide they want that and make a study happen, at least not as I understand it. They could only have one come along and award money to it. They don't commission studies for their own proposals, that I know of. They just accept grant requests and dole out the money they raise.
And sometimes special money gifts to the ADA are earmarked for certain types of studies, which narrows the ADA's options further.
They do review non-ADA-funded research. Their website offers the ADA-funded database and also external resources.

Quote:
They're statements and grading of the recommendations to reduce saturated fat to less than 7% of calories is a shining example of DOGMA NOT EVIDENCE at work with the ADA and their nutritional recommendations! (...) their own statement does not reference any Level 1 evidence (the requirement for evidence to receive an "A" grade).....nor does the statement from their pal-organization the AHA.
Then that "A" grade is way, way mysterious.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 23:34
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Actually they are - when they specifically state that such a diet is not recommended due to lack of data, when in fact, data is published, available and consistent across multiple studies, they are leaving themselves open to liability by not providing a clinical guideline for healthcare professionals to monitor patients trying a low-carb diet.
I still can't see it. When the ADA says there needs to be more data on low-carb diets, so they don't recommend them, I don't see how they can be blamed when patients decide to try it on their own.
I mean, how many people come to this board saying that they're "doing Atkins" who clearly have not read the book? Who is liable for whatever they do to themselves if they are eating something weird? I don't know, badly-prepared fugu for every meal, or something?

Quote:
Even if not one person ever wanted to follow a low-carb diet, ever ever ever, the data is there to support more than a grade of "E" (expert opinion) and there are enough healthcare providers out there already in the trenches, along with researhers who've followed patients in trials, with plenty of experience to provide insight for day to day details for a clinical guideline. They're not being asked to help because the ADA has dug their heels in here to stick with their dogma.
I would like to see a low-carb guideline, too. It would probably be for Type II only, and with a caveat about kidney disease, yadda yadda.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 23:43
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Semantics.

The ADA has specific Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) guidelines published....it is the foundation of dietary recommendations made to those with diabetes. It may not be called the "ADA Diet" anymore, but it remains the ADA's nutritional guideline for diet in those at risk for or diagnosed with diabetes.
Yes, but the link I provided mentioned a hospital "1800-calorie ADA diet" that bore no apparent relation to the actual ADA. Some things claim to be "the ADA Diet" that are not, it just seemed worth mentioning.

Quote:
You may want to take a peek at their bookstore - rich with books of ADA published book on how to eat with diabetes, with titles like "The Diabetes Food & Nutrition Bible," "Cooking With the Diabetic Chef," "Guide to Healthy Restaurant Eating," "Dr. Buynak's 1-2-3 Diabetes Diet," "Brand Name Diabetic Meals In Minutes".........amazing some of the books they'll place their logo on!
Things their logo is officially on, for sale on their site, are presumably a close match to their current recommendations. I'm sure I wouldn't want any of 'em.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 23:46
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
If I may add my prospective from a time when polio was a parents nightmare - and my sister had it. Back then there was the "March of Dimes" dedicated to finding a cure/prevention of polio.(...)

All these types of organizations take on a life of their own, be it the Heart Asso., American Cancer Society, or what ever. And like any other (living) organism their self preservation is instinctive.
Kewl! I said the same thing myself on August 31: "There is a danger that an organization can become more interested in furthering the glory of the organization itself than furthering the organization's stated goals."
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 23:55
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Your explanation for their mulishness has caused a paradigm shift in my own thinking. To embrace low carb they will have to accept they have been wrong for 20 years, and that they have been dispensing bad, even dangerous advice. It takes a very special kind of person to do that. I think most people can't do it.
More than 20 years. I was just reading an interview with Dr.Bernstein where he was talking about that. He said the ADA was recommending high-carb diets back in the 1940s. That was the cutting-edge idea at the time because of the heart disease connection and so on.
We have been discussing their possible "dogmatism" all through the thread.

Quote:
They will have to find some kind of compromise they can live with. In fact I think they have. Diets don’t work, let's just medicate people. Low carb doesn't work because no one can stick to it. Doesn't that sound like someone who is desperately trying to convince himself? They aren't lying to us, they are lying to themselves. The naked truth is just too scary.
I suppose. But, I think it's counter-productive to treat the ADA as some kind of monolith. It is made up of a lot of people, and people can change their minds.
It's possible something has gone wrong and the ADA system for evaluating studies is no longer responding to new science as it should, but maybe it's just going to take more data and they will finally recommend low-carb, at least for some diabetics.

Quote:
I can only see two things happening, either they will wake up one of these days and "discover" low carb, or they will make themselves so thoroughly irrelevant, they will never recover.
I can only hope that a younger generation, that isn’t so firmly entrenched in current dogma, will change the situation.
I don't know about the relative ages of the ADA's board members. Maybe more young doctors on the board would help make a difference? I've read that younger doctors are usually more active about reading new science, and more open to it.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 03:33
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Since low carb research has been going on for over one hundred years -- how much has the ADA done to promote it?

William Bantings from mid 1800s
Weston A Price from 1930s
Dr Atkins from 1970s
Dr Bernstein from ?

Plus countless other doctors researching pre type 2 diabetes, syndrome X, metabolic syndrome, and other health topics regarding low carb diets and supplements for optimum health.

All these doctors had one thing in common -- nutrition plays a huge role in our health -- and is the only true cure for type 2 diabetes.

I think that many doctors agree that if you find the cure to type 2 diabetes then you have found the root cause of 80% of todays health problems. We know what that cure is -- but "health experts", including the ADA, say the exact opposite.

My understanding is that the ADA has not only done little to help with this reasearch -- but promoted the exact opposite - heavy intake of starches !(see article I sited above)

To this day -- I don't see or hear the ADA standing on the mountain top yelling out loud "high glycemic foods are as bad, or worse, for your health than smoking, drugs, and alcohol. Everybody needs to start a low carb diet immediately and then read everything they can on pre type 2 diabetes, Syndrome X, and metabolic syndrome".

If the ADA has changed their ways is so great today -- why are hundreds of thousands of type 2 diabetics and "health experts" -- still anti low carbing?

If the ADA was so great they would have been the leader on low carb research and would be knocking on every door in America to make sure that everyone knew the risks of eating high glycemic foods.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 06:11
Contrarian

Quote:
But since the ADA focuses on diabetes-related research, not low-carb-related research, their database is different from yours, except where they overlap.

You may be surprised - my dissertation is on the multi-faceted, massive endocrine failure in diabetes.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 06:20
Contrarian

Quote:
My point was that they cannot make the studies happen in the first place. So, if they don't think there is enough data yet, they can't make more data happen.
We want to see lots of long-term study data on low-carb diets tested on diabetics, Type II in particular.

The point you're missing is that they ignore the data from studies specifically investigating carbohydrate restriction in those with insulin resistance or diabetes. If you look at their references in the MNT position, they use studies that are not only "stale" (older), they use ones that didn't focus on IR, IFG, IGT or diabetes. They're out there, in the literature, yet those sitting on the writing panel did not use them to support their position that carbohydrate restriction should be avoided - why?

Why not point to the studies?

Oh, that's right, they don't support the ADA position - so rather than use that data they'll omit it and leave it as carbohydrate restricted diets are not beneficial for diabetics.

Here's the thing with evidence based medicine standards - when someone or a group makes an assertion, and claims it is based on the data, they're expected to cite the studies. In this case, they cite nothing that supports their position that a carbohydrate restricted diet should be avoided.

IF their position was valid, the data would easily stand behind their position - they can't cite studies where the data (not the interpretation of the data) brings to the surface the problems they suggest as reason to avoid carbohydrate restriction.
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 06:23
Contrarian

Quote:
Quote:
They're statements and grading of the recommendations to reduce saturated fat to less than 7% of calories is a shining example of DOGMA NOT EVIDENCE at work with the ADA and their nutritional recommendations! (...) their own statement does not reference any Level 1 evidence (the requirement for evidence to receive an "A" grade).....nor does the statement from their pal-organization the AHA.

Then that "A" grade is way, way mysterious.

Actually how they grade evidence is clearly outlined in their position statements:

An "A" grade is earned when studies are:

Clear evidence from well-conducted, generalizable, randomized controlled trials that are adequately powered including:
• Evidence from a well-conducted multicenter trial
• Evidence from a meta-analysis that incorporated quality ratings in the analysis
• Compelling nonexperimental evidence, i.e., "all or none" rule developed by Center for Evidence Based Medicine at Oxford
Supportive evidence from well-conducted randomized controlled trials that are adequately powered including:
• Evidence from a well-conducted trial at one or more institutions
• Evidence from a meta-analysis that incorporated quality ratings in the analysis

So my assertion remains - they're grade of "A" for the recomendation to reduce intake of saturated fat to less than 7% of energy is NOT from studies that meet their grading criteria....
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 10:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

My bottom line is that I believe that almost all type 2 diabetes can be cured with a low carb diet and I feel that it is criminal the the ADA warns people not to follow one.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 14:15

Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:

I believe it's such a simple concept that low carb prevents/cures diabetes, that I have to assume that this is all about the money. And then there are all the studies/evidence pointing to low carb.
And....well, up here diabetics are told they can have bananas and porridge for breakfast with skim milk, the evilest of all milks
What can I say?