Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
OK I just made some. As I never measure anything, it would have been approx. 1 small egg, scant 1/4c lemon juice, flavored with tarragon, and chicken stock powder. As it thickened, added a few tbsp chicken stock. Also added a pinch of dry mustard and maybe 1/2 tsp of ff sour cream. If it thickens too much as it cools in fridge I will add more chicken broth.

Its good.. Not swoon material, like lemon curd or real hollandaise is, but will do the trick on my fish and add a bit of extra protein from the egg.

Sorry to be such a slow poke, but I've finally managed to plug in (to MasterCook) the two "hollandaise" recipes for a side by side comparison, the tofu-based one from Ming Tsai and your variation. Haven't actually MADE either of them yet , I rely on the descriptions for accuracy and guestimated the yield on yours, Val, based on the volume of the ingredients!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hollandaise, Mock

Recipe By : Judi [Island Girl]
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : PSMF , Sauces & Coatings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 whole small egg -- ~ 42ml
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 tablespoons chicken stock

Source: "valewis on www.lowcarb.ca forums"
Yield: "1 1/4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 8 Calories; trace Fat (43.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.

So your sauce "wins" for overall low cal, compared to the tofu based version I posted here, though it IS lower in protein per serving ...

I'm off to make some of this Val's Mock Hollandaise and throw it over a couple of soft-poached eggs -- yum!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Make an egg crepe and do a mock enchilada perhaps?

Wow! I keep missing postings in this thread. This idea is fantastic! Num, num!
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 20:48

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Just wanted to say Hi. I just found this thread and am looking forward to reading all the posts. I love to cook, and these recipes all sound great.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 10:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I know it has trans fats but since I only eat hollandaise like 4 times a year (and I'm pretty sure I dont eat anything else containing them)...I use the Knorr hollandaise mix (I have the big can that will last me a lifetime). It calls for milk but I use a blend of half&half or heavy cream and water. The flavor is really good and it's a quick fix. If you eat hollandaise frequently I wouldnt recommend it though. It winds up with about 120 calories for 2 tbsp I think with virtually no carbs.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 14:55

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I was just looking for a recent recipe, an asian way to make cucumber salad. I'm all set to try it and now can't locate it....it was in a low carb/low cal recipe thread. Can any of you help me? Can't think of the name to do a search. Thanks. ~Gail
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 15:47

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I have been watering down Newman's dressings with no fat dressing...e.g. Ranch half and half with nf Italian. For asian, I would do the same with his new Light Sesame dressing. To keep calories down, I then use this sparingly- doesn't take much anyway.

Anyway, it was possibly Pilot Girl who gave us a recipe as she is into this kind of cooking....maybe Nancy will remember.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 15:50

BF:

I just found the recipe: in the Atkins Diet forum in the thread 'Any new foods help you lose weight?...(or something like that)'. Atmasters started it. It's actually a good low cal/carb thread too.
Thanks for responding anyway Gail
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 08:36

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Tomato Egg Mess

damn tastey! All you need is a really hot setting so the tomato juices evaporate quickly so you can gobble it down asap.

1 egg
Soy sauce- light
Tinned tomatoes/ ur l/c tomato sauce
Leek/onion sliced
Mushrooms, corgettes, spinach, cooked cauliflower mashed- any low carb veggies you have in store/ like, although it is very nice w a few peas or beans added in.

Heat a pan and spray with cooking spray- or a non stick pan, add leeks or onions and cook till softened and flavoursome.
Add tinned tomatoes and vegetables, a little water and soy sauce and boil on a high heat letting the water and tomato juice evaporate and stirring everyso often.
Just before mixture gets really gloopy, crack an egg into the mixture and mix in the white so it cooks leaving the yolk intact.
Once all of white is cooked, take pan off heat and sir the yolk into the mixture then quickly turn into a bowl. You can add grated parmesan and stir it in ( i tend to put in the parmesan if I've not put peas or beans in.

Warning! Looks like mush but tastes lush!
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 09:11
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
I was just looking for a recent recipe, an asian way to make cucumber salad. I'm all set to try it and now can't locate it....it was in a low carb/low cal recipe thread. Can any of you help me? Can't think of the name to do a search. Thanks. ~Gail

Hmmm... I just searched this thread for "cucumber" and only found your posting so I don't think it was here. Try searching the recipe forums for an ingredient or two that you remember. If you find it, let us know! It sounds great!
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 12:17

BF:

Here it is: Pooksters recipe for asian cucumbers (Thanks Pookster)

Peel and deseed cucumbers (I used persian cukes which don't need to be peeled or deseeded, english cucumbers are also good that way)
Slice or cube.
Soak in brine for 30 min. Rinse and drain well.
Toss with sesame oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne powder. Taste to see if it needs more salt.
Chill for 3 hours.

I find these satisfying to snack on at night. Right about the time I used to pop up some popcorn...
The low cal part means being stingy with the oil.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 12:19
Experimenter

BF:

Ummmm... this sounds wonderful.
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 18:17
Experimenter

BF:

On the Lemon Curd recipe, I figured something out tonight. With 6 extra large eggs it makes 2 cups or 16 oz. The entire thing is:

648 calories
40g fat
23g carbs
3g fiber
51g protein

So it would have 20 calories per 2 Tbl. Or 40 calories per oz.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-05, 21:04
Experimenter

BF:
Default Mustard Sauce

Ok, I have a TREAT for everyone. This is a mustard sauce my sister and I have been making for years. We've low-carbed it, now I've deglutenized it and it is just fantastic. I just squeezed some on a cranberry-turkey sausage and I was in heaven!

Warning: Hot and spicy! Your sinuses will love it.

2 oz dry mustard (I've always used Coleman's. Its very expensive I might try another sort next time)
3 whole eggs
1 cup of vinegar (I used red wine, the traditional recipe calls for malt, but that contains gluten so I didn't use it. RW tasted great!)
1 cup of sugar substitute (I used liquid splenda. I put in a bit more with the RW vinegar because it seemed more tart than the malt vinegar)

This goes great with ham, turkey, pork and meats of that nature. I'm sure it'd even be really good on eggs. Calories is about 10 per Tblspoon.

You make this just like you would a curd. Whisk all the ingredients together then cook it until it reaches 160 degrees in a double boiler (I stick a metal bowl on top of a regular sauce pan with water). Whisk the entire time.

Don't cook TOO fast because the eggs will curdle, also don't get it too hot because the eggs will curdle too. I usually try to aim to have it get to 160 in about 5 minutes of stirring.
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 20:08
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow no one has added to this in awhile. I thought I would add what I have been snacking on lately.

Protein seems to fill me up the most, so I cook up some pre-made fajita chicken I have (they are in strips) and basically pretend they are chicken tenders.

I only make like 2 or 3 oz at a time, and I will dip them in salsa or low-cal ranch or hot sauce or whatever. I use less than a tablespoon of dip so it's all good anyway.

It seems to curb hunger pretty well and is low on cals and high on protein.

You could sub the pre-made stuff by just cutting a chicken breast into long strips and fry them up in a skillet sprayed with pam and some seasonings and freeze them until ready.

Nummy num num.
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default Turkey Meatloaf

Before I forget.

1 lb ground turkey
1 cup of TVP***
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 large purple onion chopped
3T churisso sauce
1T old bay seasoning
3 over ripe plum tomatoes chopped
3T fresh rosemary chopped
salt, pepper

preheat oven 350 degrees
mix everything together. I put it in an 8" x 8" glass bake dish and baked at 350 for 50 minutes.
Drained all the juice out of the dish, and let meatloaf set. Cut meatloaf into 16 1" x 1" squares.

yummy, (only fat is from turkey), low calorie, full of veggies.

** TVP is texturized vegetable protein- or dehydrated soy crumbles.