Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: At what age or event/time in life did we gain weight at?
I was an overweight child. (please explain at what age you started to gain) 102 44.16%
I became overweight after having children. 36 15.58%
The weight just gradually climbed higher later on in life. 57 24.68%
There was a tramatic or (even any) event that I started to gain weight afterwards. 20 8.66%
Other-(Please explain below.) 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

#91   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 01:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261.4/160/155 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 95%

Oh man, I lost my weight summer 2001, then gained about 20 back the first semester of college (fall 2002), then lost some, then gained. Then my girlfriend got pregnant (Strike 1), then we got married (Strike 2), then she had our son (Strike 3), so BAM, 85 lbs easily.

As a kid, I was always thin, then 3rd grade happened. I just got fat for no reason. Maybe this was when my intolorence for sugar got where it is today.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 14:43

Plan: no carb then to low carb
Stats: 198/195/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky

That was too cute!

thanks!!! it's true though!!!!
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 11:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think I started gaining until late high school. I was a skinny little thing. But oddly enough, I remember thinking I was fat in the 6th grade. I think it was just because I weighed more than the other kids, but my Mom says I wasn't fat.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 11:55

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

i was a very picky eater growing up, so I was really small. i think I weighed 96 lbs when I graduated high school. but after 2 kids things are much different!
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 14:15
Registered Member

Stats: 405/373/194 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I was normal sized and very athletic until I went away to university. Then too much beer drinking and the cessation of all athletics... made the lbs pile on.

And it just kept getting worse every year.

John
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 22:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 253.5/189.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:41.2
Progress: 56%

I was overweight as a child...It started when I was about 5. My parents were getting a divorce, and I had been sexually molested...I guess that is when the emotional eating began.

Although I was always heavy as a kid...I dieted pretty much my whole life...I even remember my mom putting me on diets that made me feel sick and weak...(Nobody knew any better back then.)
I lost a bunch of weight in my late 20's, which got me to my goal weight. I managed to keep it off for a few years...Then had a hysterectomy...Since then my weight has gone up and up...to where I ballooned out at 253 lbs....

I have faith that I will one day reach my goal again. It takes persistance, and careful planning...But it will happen!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 23:00
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%
Default I'm an 'Other'

I became overweight in my late teens due to undiagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis and finally thyroid cancer.

Last edited by dstartz : Mon, Feb-07-05 at 23:07.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/204/160 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

I gained weight at about the age of 9. At the age of 11 my Mother put me on Atkins. I lost a lot of weight. Then they found something else to pick on.
Then i gained weight while pregnant, lost it, gained more, and am now back on Atkins.

I was also born with hip dsyplasia. Both hips, and in a 2 leg cast as a baby.

How is your hip now? There are a couple things i cant do.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 09:36

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

I've been gradually adding pounds as time goes by...especially when not working out.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 13:18
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I believe my weight gain began as a child after I had my appendix removed at age 6. I remember not being able to run & keep up with kids after the operation and having pain in my side where it was removed. It definitely made me less active than my peers and contributed to my weight gain.

I was also hit by a car when I was 11 years old and was in traction for several months, then a body cast. During that time I was put on a 500 calorie diet and did lose about 50 lbs. It took over a year before I could walk without crutches. I remember weighing 112lbs on my 12th birthday. I was about 5' 4" tall. Once I could walk the frig on my own, it took about 2 years for me to gain the weight back. I walked with a slight limp after the accident which has now become a severe limp due to my weight and requires the use of a cane for any extended periods of walking or standing.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 14:04
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

OMG, Terranova!!!
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 22:03

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

I was never overweight as a child, but a few months after I graduated from high school I started gaining weight. I got up to 196 lbs. I always weighed 130 in high school. I went to weight watchers and lost down to about 150. I kept that off for a while, but didn't make it to maintanence. Through college I kept gaining and losing the same 30 lbs.

I got married as soon as I graduated from college and began to gain weight again. I lost it again and got pg less than a year after we married. I gained 75 lbs while pg and never lost it. I haven't weighed below 200 lbs since I was pg with my son 15 years ago.

I long to weigh below 200 lbs so badly. I keep getting closer, but then I blow it and start to gain again....not this time though. I can and will do this!!
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, then South Beach
Stats: 173/162/145 Female 65
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgrrl
I think for those of us who were effortlessly thin for the first half of our lives, the weight gain feels like our bodies have betrayed us. I understand, now that I've read Atkins and all the good information found on the site, why it happened, but there's still a feeling of not being in "my" body anymore

Oh, I so agree. I was so skinny as a child I had to have rubber bands around my knees to hold my socks up. After my first baby I bounced right back. I remember thinking, "I may have problems in my life, but weight isn't going to be one of them, thank heavens (I have a skinny Nancy Reagan sized grandmother I thought I was going to take after)." Well, after the second baby I went to 163 and my body has not been lower than that since, going between 162 and 183, but mostly now resting around 170.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 19:46

Plan: no carbs past 4pm
Stats: 206/206/185 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

I became overweight in 6th grade...spent my eighth grade summer swimming....lost it all...found beer after high school and ballooned up about 30lbs...lost it all 2 yrs later after joining the Army...was in an accident that put me out of the services....gained 40lbs back.

Now I'm starting over.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 20:08

Plan: south beach
Stats: 255/220/120 Female 5feet 5 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I was over weight in 4th grade and lost it in high school. Then I went to collage and had my first child. Then it was all down hill from there.