Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/112.8/115 Female 5' 3"
BF:34/20/25
Progress: 106%

Regarding the comments on gravy, I have found that Xanthan Gum works very well to thicken gravy, and is a 0 net product. It has no flavor, and if mixed in very slowly, and just enough to do the job, it makes delicious gravy. It's a little pricey, but it really does only take a little to thicken gravy. Just a suggestion.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 17:33

Stats: 205/146.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:I'm losing it!
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaysol
Sophia1- these are my feelings/fears exactly. I don't trust myself to get back on track.

I plan on making my version of a LC thanksgiving and taking it with me! I will not be counting every last carb though as long as I stick to my LC safe foods. Christmas may be more difficult since we will be visiting my grandparents for a week. My grandmother(75) loves to cook and eat (carbs carbs and more carbs) and gets offended easily. I don't want to cause problems and I am very concerned about what to do. Any ideas...?

I do have a question. I have read about re-feeding. Eating carbs for a day and then getting a big weight loss after returning to LC. Does this really work?
I'm not sure about refeeding because I'd be too scared to try it. I would just refeed, refeed, and then refeed some more. I have heard that if you stall you can up your allowable carbs by 500 calories for a few days and then drop back down to induction for a few days. I've done the fat fast which was 1000 cal a day for 1 week, then 1200 cal a day the next. I lost 5 quick lbs. When I got back on induction I immediately gained it back. All that hard work for nothing. I decided to be patient and let the weight come off when it's ready. Finally, I started losing again. I'll be eating this way forever so I guess I'm not in that big of a hurry.

When I go to my grandma's I have this plan where I tell her my favorite thing she makes are her sausage and eggs or her roast with broccoli salad. She loves the compliments. If you're staying a week I'd bring some nuts and cheesesticks so you can snack in your room after you pick at your dinner. My grandma finally has come around though because I'm always trying to get her to eat low carb. I tell her to sit and rest so I can cook for her. She likes that too. Then after supper I make her a Breyers low carb vanilla ice cream diet root beer float and she doesn't know the difference. She says that she wished she lived with me so she can lose weight. I used to be so worried about offending people, but most people know by now how I am and they don't push it on me anymore. (They know I'll just say no thanks.)
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 17:41

Plan: IF and LC
Stats: 178/174/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I will eat off plan for Thankgiving, and throughly enjoy the meal and the "mmmmmm"-ing with my grandma and mom when I enjoy their wonderful food. It's not about the food, it's about the people and enjoying a wonderful sharing of food we have prepared for each other.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 18:11
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the lc thickening ideas for turkey gravy. I'm sure they work well, but even before lc, the gravy was a hassle for me, a lot of last minute stress.

For a number of years, I've just bought Williams-Sonoma turkey gravy base and used it pretty much straight. Sometimes I add the turkey drippings and some cream, but mostly I just heat it up. It's even good at other times of the year on pork roast or chicken.

The last thing I need when cooking a big meal for guests is last minute stress. It's enough to be juggling keeping dressing, potatoes, etc. warm. Not that I eat potatoes or dressing these days, but I'll cook them for guests.

Kay
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 19:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
For most of us food is an addiction and I care about everyone here so I don't like to see people feed their addictions. I've been on low carb two times before and both times quit after justifing my bad habits on Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Christmas.

Just an observation but after being on this forum for a number of years, this type of conversation comes up about this time every year with many posters insisting 'it's not the holidays without ____ (fill in the blank with your favorite high carb holiday fare) and swearing on a stack of Bibles that it's only going to be for 'just that one day' and then right back on plan again and I have no doubts that the intent is to do just that.
And every year, we have a lot of 'I'm back and starting over after the holidays' threads from those who started out with the best of intentions to get right back on plan only to find themselves firmly in the grip of stuffing, marshmallow topped sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mom's rolls and Aunt Molly's Christmas cookies and out of control of their eating.
It's human nature to rationalize feeding our addictions, but I agree that unless we learn to be honest with ourselves about why we need whatever it is we are contemplating consuming, the cycle of eat, gain, get back on the wagon (or not) will continue.
Some people can handle the one day carb fest and not have a problem, but from what I've observed, they are really more the exception than the rule.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 19:46

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think it is true food is an addiction and I am rethinking my entire plan of action

thank you
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 00:23
Scottish Flower

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 210/171/145 Female 5ft 3 1/2
BF:no i'm married :)
Progress: 60%

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly what Lisa said This is why i've talked to my dh this week and set a lowcarb Christmas menu, i've also committed (telling him too so i can't pretend anymore) that all these special occasions, birthday's, date nights have to be on plan for now on because i'm kidding myself when i say they aren't doing me any damage, if they really weren't, i'd be back at goal and maintaining by now. Time to accept it, use my favourite lowcarb alternatives and get on with this way of LIFE.

Thanks to the original OP i've found this thread to be very insightful and helpful to me.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 07:12

Plan: Atkins/m&e/VLC
Stats: 178.8/167.0/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Sophia1- Thanks for the great ideas. I think that I'll make it a point to help/COOK as many dinners as possible (I will probably have to resort to the "picking at my food" technique at some time ). I love to cook so I will be happy to do as much of it as I'm allowed..lol. Christmas dinner I will probably just make some of the same dishes I will be adapting for Thanksgiving. That should work. I really don't have an issue offending anyone else . Just them.

I really wanted to try the fat fast and I still might, I'm a glutton for punishment. I was afraid that I would gain all those lbs back after I returned to induction. I guess thats likely. Maybe going from the fat fast to the modified fat fast( 4-300 cal meals) then back to induction? Im desperate since I havent lost in nearly 10 days. Well I go up a little and down a little again and again.

Mandasue- You are so right that it is not about the food! Hopefully I can share a few new recipes with my family without hearing.."What is that, SOY FLOUR, XANTHAM GUM!!??

I think that I will not try refeeding until I try the fat fast and see if that gets me moving again. I really don't want to eat anything high carb. I am also fearful that it will backfire. All I really want is the scale to start moving again. I do have my cravings at time but, I really feel strongly about this WOL, if it would just work!!
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 09:15

Stats: 205/146.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:I'm losing it!
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaysol
Sophia1-

I really wanted to try the fat fast and I still might, I'm a glutton for punishment. I was afraid that I would gain all those lbs back after I returned to induction. I guess thats likely. Maybe going from the fat fast to the modified fat fast( 4-300 cal meals) then back to induction? Im desperate since I havent lost in nearly 10 days. Well I go up a little and down a little again and again.

I think that I will not try refeeding until I try the fat fast and see if that gets me moving again. I really don't want to eat anything high carb. I am also fearful that it will backfire. All I really want is the scale to start moving again. I do have my cravings at time but, I really feel strongly about this WOL, if it would just work!!
Every person's body is different, but I did exactly what you're wanting to do. I went from the 1000 cal fat fast to the 1200 cal fat fast ( 4-300 cal meals) the next week. I was in heaven when the weight was dropping off, but completely depressed when it just came right back on. Maybe it will work for you. After the lbs. came back, I made sure to walk 2 miles every evening with my dh and the weight came back off for good.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 09:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/170/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%

For the people who are talking about cornbread or or cornbread stuffing, I just though I'd mention that netrition.com carries a low carb cornbread muffin mix - I've never tried it, but I might order some and use it for stuffing this Thanksgiving. Check it out:

http://www25.netrition.com/dixie_muffin_mix_page.html
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 09:38
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

You know, the first time I did low carb, I was very very sucessful. You know what derailed me for about 3 years?? The holidays. I did fine cheating for thanksgiving (and admittedly, the day after) and I truly did get back on track...the problem was, I was only good for 3 more weeks until Christmas hit, then I decided I could cheat for christmas.

Well, the day after Christmas, hell, its only a week until our big NYE party, so why bother doing induction, when I am just going to cheat on NYE??

Guess what, January 1st....well, we had TONS of leftovers, and we dont wanna waste those, do we? January 2nd...well, office parties, people brought in their goodies. And, no weight gain yet, so a few more bites isnt gonna kill me. I'll start tomorrow.

January 3rd, admitted re-addiction. Already hit the candy bowl, so today is blown. I'll start January 4th.

Did I mention this was January of 2003, and I never gave it another serious shot until January of 2007? Yeah. Exactly. I do have planned indulgances once in a while still, and I'm ok with it. But the holidays are a scary time to try it, too many food laden days in just 2 months.

Do it if you want to. If you think you can handle it. Just be prepared for what may come next.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/m&e/VLC
Stats: 178.8/167.0/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks neverwhere, I needed that reality check.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 10:59
Registered Member

Stats: 150/112.8/115 Female 5' 3"
BF:34/20/25
Progress: 106%

I am stunned that so many people say their family will feel offended when a family member chooses not to eat some of the food offered at a meal.

Would they be offended if an alcoholic declined a drink?

Would they be offended if a vegetarian declined meat?

Would they be offended if a diabetic declined sugary sweets?

Why should they be so wrapped up in anyone else's eating?

Obesity is a serious health threat, so why should anyone make judgements on someone who is trying to eat to improve/maintain their health?

Perhaps they feel guilty for eating these foods they know are bad for them and want to rationalize their eating by feeling that everyone else is eating it, so why shouldn't they?

I dunno.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 11:02
greenshamr

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I've had 35 years of pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and homemade rolls....I think I can miss a year and 34 more after that.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie7
I am stunned that so many people say their family will feel offended when a family member chooses not to eat some of the food offered at a meal.

Would they be offended if an alcoholic declined a drink?

Would they be offended if a vegetarian declined meat?

Would they be offended if a diabetic declined sugary sweets?

Why should they be so wrapped up in anyone else's eating?

I'm not at all stunned by it, sadly, because I've been around people who are losing weight for years. They all think their family is going to get upset. One or two familiy members might, but the overwhelming majority don't. In my experience, a very, very limited number of people get scolded or have offended family members when they stay on plan for the holidays. In general the positive "wow, look at you" voices outweigh the negatives.