Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'd hate to return this thread back to the original topic, cholesterol, but I was reading a discussion forum on Medscape about the "cause" of atherosclerosis, and the role of cholesterol and statins. This was docs spouting off mostly about how great statins are, but a significant minority brought Malcolm Kendrick and other skeptics into the discussion.

One funny guy posted some info I wasn't aware of:

Quote:
At least 3 Nobel prizes have been related to cholesterol, with the hope that it is the key to atherosclerosis. The hope is ill founded. One recalls the 1949 Nobel prize given for the development of frontal lobotomy as a cure for mental illness, the 1950 Nobel prize for the use of corticosteroids as a final cure for arthritis, and the 1994 Nobel Peace prize to Yasser Arafat for bringing peace to the Middle East - these prizes were given in hopes that never came to fruition. I think that the Real Answer (tongue in cheek) is that atherosclerosis and MIs started becoming epidemic in the early 1940's due to the increased ingestion of high glycemic carbohydrates. This led to glycosylation of proteins such as HbA1c but also arterial wall proteins which eventually became "foreign" and antigenic. The body then produces an antibody to the glycosylated proteins, the C-reactive protein, also a marker of inflammation. (C-reactive means reactive to the carbohydrate part of pneumococcal capsular coat, but cross-reacts to other carbs) Thus, the initial process in atherosclerosis is an auto-immune reaction causing damage to arterial walls. Calcification and cholesterol deposition are secondary events. The Atkins and South Beach and other low carb diets are generally on the right track. Unfortunately, Atkins died from a fall, perhaps due to his inclusion of alcohol ingestion in his diet. A high carbohydrate diet has been shown to enhance athletic performance, but perhaps should be used only before competition

I kinda like this theory. Gotta look into C-reactive protein a little. I didn't kow it was an antibody.

Then someone answered with an explanation about the deposition of choesterol and calcium in damaged vessel walls, with a link to some nice electron micrographs:

Quote:
Dear -----, finally some reason! Glycation damages life-long structural proteins of the artery and elsewhere, principally by connections to the free amino groups of lysine and arginine.
On top of that is life-long thiolation by homocysteine of the same 2 amino residues, as well as attack on and opening of vital cysteine di-sulfide bridges of proteins that are designed to be life-long. And when elastin degrades, electron microscope studies show that cholesterol and calcium mineral flll the voids, co-precipitating in voids in the elastic tissue of the media.

Here's a picture of how to chemically degrade [corrode] the internal elastic lamina [by thiolation and glycation], i.e. the myocyte barrier to [structurally weak] neointima growth, and the barrier all too often damaged by stenting. E.V. http://www.health-heart.org/elastin4.gif

This makes some sense, I think.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

There is a lot of disagreement what causes the initial damage leading to atherosclerosis and a lot of agreement on the process after. A problem with the glycolization theory is that it doesn't adaquately explain why the atheromas only seem to form at certain locations. One theory, also incomplete, is that they form in areas of high shear stress. Anyway, it's a mess

Kind regards
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
That is a bold pronouncement. From the brief and constricted quoted material from J. Phelan I'd like to know where you think he has been misinformed. I'm confident that J. Phelan as an evolutionary biologist has access to the same data every one else does.

The data on okinawans was still unpublished when phelan went along with okinawa gained very little. The study above by wilcox shows this is not true.

Heres the quote again:

Phelan:
Quote:
"men in Okinawa eat almost 20% less their entire life than other Japanese men but live less than a year longer"

Here is what the more RECENT published paper says

"Okinawan septuagenarian population appeared to be in a relative "energy
deficit" consistent with CR until the late 1960s" "but only for half their adult lives." - Refering to their CR (they werent CR'd in their entire life as phelan says)

Americans were eating 2100k/cal in the 1960's, compared with okinawans eating 1600k/cal. Thats 23% less than americans at that time period. Okinawans then in 1993 okinawa calorie consumption to 1927k/cal per day, (probably too much for their small frames) compared to 2176 for americans! ( They were eating ONLY ABOUT 10% FEWER CALORIES!)

But still Okinawans only contribute a small 0.0002% to the worlds population, yet they can boast 15% of the worlds documented SUPER-CENTENARIANS. Impressive eh?

THE BOTTOM LNE

The Okinawans are only a mild example of what CR can do, and the CR effect is underestimated because they HAVE been De-CRing since the 1950's actually. When calorie intake was only 1539k/cal per day! The Japanese and Okinawans now consume aroudn the same number of calories. Okinawans used to have half the mortality of the japanese, now the stats are very similar since calorie intake increased.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Mon, Jan-29-07 at 01:51.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 05:11

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

1) There is no arguing with a fanatic.
2) From dina1957 "I am not going to continue, " Thank you.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 07:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dragging the thread back to its original intent, I thought that posters here might be interested to read the following rebuttal about Malcolm Kendrick's book from the resident doctor at The Times (London):

Quote:
The Times
London, UK
Published 26 January, 2007

Keep taking the statins
Dr Thomas Stuttaford

If people at risk of strokes and heart attacks throw away their statins, many will die

As this is the season for strokes and heart attacks, as well as frosty mornings, all those who know they are at risk should consider, then reject, the opinions expressed recently by Dr Malcolm Kendrick on statins.
If extracts from his book fairly reflect his beliefs, then he seeks to persuade people to abandon statins and have a high-fat diet. If followed, this advice could cause a public health disaster to make the damage done by the MMR vaccinations debate seem as nothing. Dr Kendrick’s book apparently rebuts internationally accepted teaching — and the sheaves of scientific papers to support it — that statins have revolutionised the life expectancy of people in danger of a coronary thrombosis or an ischaemic stroke. The latter, the most common form of stroke, is caused by a clot in a cerebral blood vessel.

Dr Kendrick apparently denies a relevant relationship between high levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides — two of the fats circulating in the blood — and heart attacks and strokes. He suggests that doctors should tell patients that fighting cholesterol with statins is bunk.

He extends his case by suggesting that doctors should recommend a high-fat diet, including as much saturated animal fats as desired, for it doesn’t matter a damn. The book is reported as suggesting that the protection statins offer is so small as to be insignificant, and anyway applies only to men.

In fact women with atherosclerotic heart disease are undertreated. Too often early symptoms of heart disease, less obvious in women, are either ignored or misinterpreted. Currently women also respond less well to treatment, but this is improving. One problem has been the patronising belief that all older women put on weight and, in consequence, have raised cholesterol and blood pressure. As this is a gender effect, the argument runs, women need neither statins nor intensive treatment for blood pressure.

Yet post-menopausal women’s risk of death from cardiovascular disease is as great, if not greater, than men’s. Furthermore, scans of arteries of patients before and after treatment with statins demonstrate both the increase in diameter of previously furred-up arteries, and reduced cholesterol levels. The level of high-density, cardioprotective “good” cholesterol increases, while levels of the damaging forms — low-density cholesterol and triglycerides — fall. Recent work at the DeBakey Heart Centre in Houston, Texas, suggests that statins also reduce harmful inflammation in the arteries that may precipitate rupture of a fatty arterial plaque and cause a coronary thrombosis.

When the Medical Research Council in Oxford and the University of Sydney reviewed the case histories of 90,000 patients who had been treated with statins, they concluded that the risk of a heart attack or ischaemic stroke was reduced by about a third. The benefits started immediately and increased the longer statins were taken and the farther cholesterol levels fell. The survey also revealed that although statins are especially valuable to those at high risk of a heart attack or stroke, they are also cardioprotective for people whose cholesterol levels would previously have been considered normal.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), not noted for expressing hasty or extravagant views, supports the greater use of statins. We, doctors and patients, should follow its advice and ignore that of Dr Kendrick.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...2565383,00.html

I have to say that I've never really been one to take much notice of Dr S's advice, and I think I'm even less inclined to do so now.

Last edited by Demi : Mon, Jan-29-07 at 08:43.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 08:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Dragging the thread back to its original intent, I thought that posters here might be interested to read the following rebuttal about Malcolm Kendrick's book from the resident doctor at The Times (London):

I have to say that I've nearly really been one to take much notice of Dr S's advice, and I think I'm even less inclined to do so now.

Interesting to note that Dr S doesn't provide many FACTS to support his contention that if people stop statins and eat a high fat diet, there will be a 'disaster'. He simply repeats (without backup) the same myth over again.

He also notes that statins, according to him show benefit 'immediately'. Which Kendrick, and many others, suggest is proof that statins don't work by lowering cholesterol. Because (a) the cholesterol doesn't always drop 'immediately', and (b) no one has ever observed statins shrinking plaques 'immediately'. Or even slowly.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
no one has ever observed statins shrinking plaques 'immediately'. Or even slowly.

Intensive Statin Therapy Can Partially Reverse Plaque Build-up In Arteries
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/med...hp?newsid=39470

for the first time, that very intensive cholesterol lowering with a statin drug can regress (partially reverse) the buildup of plaque in the coronary arteries. This finding has never before been observed in a study using statin drugs, the most commonly used cholesterol lowering treatment
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
The data on okinawans was still unpublished when phelan went along with okinawa gained very little. The study above by wilcox shows this is not true.

Heres the quote again:

Phelan:

Quote:
"men in Okinawa eat almost 20% less their entire life than other Japanese men but live less than a year longer"

Here is what the more RECENT published paper says
"Yakkety Yakkety Yak"

I take the quote from Phelan to mean his took his data set not from the most recent population but rather from the time of most restriction. Are you purposefully being obtuse? The current paper seems to be another analysis of current trends in the population, it does not invalidate the earlier research with respect to CR and supposed life extension.

I noticed again you harp upon a non-issue with Phelan but ignore the bulk of the post. Again, it is being suggested that the bulk of Okinawan greater lifeSPANS is due to other factors that CR, and that CR contributes only a small part to life-EXTENSION. You blather incessantly about all of the centarians, but their lifespans of the Okinawans are not remarkably greater than other long-lived populations - ones that enjoy eating as part of life. With all the centarians there must be a lot of early death to keep the average lifespans lower.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/275/190 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 35%

The folowing essay by Dr. Kendrick addresses that exact topic. If “high” cholesterol is the cause, why would stopping a medication after the cause was corrected matter? Other than to the manufacturer’s bottom line?
Quote:
Dr. Malcolm Kendrick
May 17, 2005

STOPPING STATINS IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!

A kind reader just sent me a link to an article in Geriatrics http://www.geri.com/geriatrics/arti...l.jsp?id=132556

It was entitled, ‘stopping statins is bad for your health.’ I’m afraid to say that it isn’t new news, as it came out in October last year, but it is news to me. And it is such a mind-bogglingly stupid article that it demands some comment.

It was written by one Frederick T. Sherman, who has no financial connections with the pharmaceutical industry to disclose. So here is a little challenge to readers of Red Flags. Find the financial connection between Frederick T. Sherman and a statin manufacturer and win a prize. (The prize being a sense of smug moral satisfaction – do you think I am made of money?)

By the way, the fact that there is a great big banner ad for Lipitor at the top of the web page, and a socking great ad for Caduet running down the side, doesn’t count. Just because Pfizer provides advertising revenue to a journal that Frederick T. Sherman gets paid to write for is far too easy.

Moving on. The main theme of this article is Bill Clinton, and his heart attack, and quadruple bypass. Apparently, in 1992 he had been found to have an LDL level of 177 – oh, my God. Luckily, his eagle eyed doctor had started him on Simvastatin … in 2001. Glad to see the medical profession leaping into immediate action.

But naughty, naughty Bill stopped taking his statin, and had a heart attack in 2004. Or maybe he didn’t have a heart attack, but just had blocked up arteries – this bit isn’t too clear. Why did Bill stop taking his statin? Because he felt he was taking exercise and losing weight, and didn’t need to take a statin any more.

Now, I’m not one to judge – as my mother-in-law is wont to say, before doling out a metaphysical death sentence – but Bill really ought to know better. I know that diet and exercise are supposed to be the first actions taken for those with high LDL levels, before taking drugs. But once you’re on drugs, you really ought to take them forever, and ever, and ever.

As William T. Sherman would say:

‘Clearly, long-term compliance with medications, specifically statins, is more important than diet and exercise alone. Drug therapy, rather than lifestyle modification, must become the mainstay of therapy for the primary and secondary prevention of CAD. The future coronary health of the American public depends upon Baby Boomers and subsequent generations taking all of their cardioprotective medications for life.’

Read that paragraph you naughty people you. Exercise all you like, lose all the weight you can, but it will make no difference. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR STATINS. Now, go to bed and no pudding for you.

A small issue William T. Sherman noted is that, in 1992, Bill Clinton had an LDL level of 177. In 2004, it was 114. Excuse me, William T. Sherman, but does it not seem odd to you that Bill Clinton had achieved an LDL reduction of 35%, having stopped his statin. A 35% reduction in LDL would be considered a therapeutic ‘success,’ for the statinators amongst us.

So, without a statin Bill Clinton’s LDL fell by 35%, then he had a heart attack. Forgive me for saying this William T. Sherman, but to my mind this would appear to suggest that a falling LDL level is a risk factor for CHD – as clearly demonstrated in the Framingham study, amongst others.

In the unforgiving logical prison that I inhabit, the parable of Bill Clinton would not seem to be a warning against stopping statins. It seems more likely to be a warning that when your LDL level falls, you are in serious danger of suffering a heart attack. However, I tend to find that one’s interpretation of events can be clouded by external funding issues.

Anyway, thank you to William T. Sherman for reminding us that ‘The future coronary health of the American public depends upon Baby Boomers and subsequent generations taking all of their cardioprotective medications for life.’

There is just no answer to that – at least not before the children have safely gone to bed.
Oh, as to the origional question posed by this thread, to me at least, the answer is a resounding yes.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 10:07

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMead
The folowing essay by Dr. Kendrick addresses that exact topic. If “high” cholesterol is the cause, why would stopping a medication after the cause was corrected matter? Other than to the manufacturer’s bottom line?
Oh, as to the origional question posed by this thread, to me at least, the answer is a resounding yes.

That was an absolutely wonderful essay. Not only is Dr. Kendrick spot on, he delivers his message with brilliant humor.
"Read that paragraph you naughty people you. Exercise all you like, lose all the weight you can, but it will make no difference. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR STATINS. Now, go to bed and no pudding for you."
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 16:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

I have to say that I've never really been one to take much notice of Dr S's advice, and I think I'm even less inclined to do so now.

There's a good reason that the good doctor is often parodied as 'Dr. Utterfraud'.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:

for the first time, that very intensive cholesterol lowering with a statin drug can regress (partially reverse) the buildup of plaque in the coronary arteries. This finding has never before been observed in a study using statin drugs, the most commonly used cholesterol lowering treatment

Wrong again Matt. Statins are well known to exert an antinflammatory effect. Less infammation is bound to reverse ( I loved the 'partial' caveat on the so called plaque reducing effect of statins ) plaque build up in arteries. This is yet another example of confusing correlation and causation.

Hope this helps .
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 19:35

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Statins are well known to exert an antinflammatory effect. Less infammation is bound to reverse ( I loved the 'partial' caveat on the so called plaque reducing effect of statins ) plaque build up in arteries.

Hmmm...if this is so, do we see other anti-inflammatory agents reducing atheromas? Seems to me that news would be all over town. The only other plaque-reducing treatment that I recall hearing about is HDL treatment.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 20:01

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:

Quote:

Close, but no cigar Whoa. "Atherosclerosis progression was assessed at baseline and after at 24 months of treatment."

That's not 'immediate'.

If statins' effects happen quickly -- as the 'experts' say -- in a matter of weeks, it has nothing to do with reducing plaque by an average of 8% (tiny) after 24 months.

It's not about cholesterol lowering or plaque reduction.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Hmmm...if this is so, do we see other anti-inflammatory agents reducing atheromas? Seems to me that news would be all over town. The only other plaque-reducing treatment that I recall hearing about is HDL treatment.

That's the whole point. Anti inflammatories do reduce atheromas. That the news is not 'all over town' is full testament to how conned the medical profession (and by extension the credulous and intimidated public) has been about the 'cholesterol connection'. But even statins, which are quite powerful anti inflammatory agents, still take years (2 in this study) to exert even a tiny atheroma reducing effect. Eight percent is hardly anything to get excited about, particularly when the side effects of statin use are so catastrophic. One of the most potent anti inflammatory approaches is a low carb diet, yet it will probably be years before much research money is thrown at its atheroma preventative power, let alone any slow acting plaque reducing effects. Big pharma is hardly likely to direct much money at dietary strategies to prevent degenerative disease, because there's no return. And they probably are only too aware that most people just love their starch and sugar anyway. And even the wrong ( anti cholesterol) dietary message is not getting through. Sure people spend megabucks on the 'low fat' chimera. But that just adds to the problem, because most low fat food replaces the fat with carbohydrate.

Unfortunately human beings are slaves to their tastebuds. They're always going to prefer a drug bullet to a lifestyle change. They'll whinge and sue when the inevitable side effects show up, but they'll eagerly await the next 'quick fix' announcement by Pfizer et al. This forum alone is a 'straying' confessional. Not that the intention is less worthy because of it, but it's tragic that the 'insula' factor has us all by the short and curlies. And I would say that unless the aesthetic bodyfat loss incentive existed, there would be very few people eating a low carb diet just because it was the way humans were designed to eat.

Last edited by kneebrace : Mon, Jan-29-07 at 20:55.