Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:17
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hey Red!

My run in the park was really good, but it totally knocked hell out of me!

I found it weird at first having to make my own pace up rather than just keep with the machine speed, but it was really good.

That's not good about the pain/ sleeping thing for you What is causing the pain in particular? Is it DOMS or is it an injury or what? You might want to step down the intensity a bit until you recover.

My sleeping problems recently have been mainly due to complicated personal life and the heat... going to the gym just makes me more likely to sleep

Hope you're having a good Friday!

See you later
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 11:30

BF:

Red,

I can't remember whether you take l-glutamine just now or not..... If you don't, it might help, if you do....

I hate it when things like that happen with flat pack furniture Sometimes you'd have been just as well from a time/ money point of view buying a real thing rather than a lego kit from Ikea or somewhere...

I see what some people lift compared to me and I'm too... but it will all come in the end

And yeah, looking at my UBWO makes me feel tired too!

See ya!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 16:10
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Saturday June 19, 2003—Day 486
Weight: 114

NHE: Day 20
Number of Days ‘til Summer: 2 (who would know it, it's cool today

Weights
Back:
Pulldowns: 4 sets 12 reps 45 lbs
Cable Rows: 4 sets 12 reps 2 sets 30 lbs 2 sets 45 pounds
(wanted to use another back machine but someone was using it so moved to chest)

Chest:
Incline bench press (machine) 4 sets 12 reps 45 lbs
Pec machine 4 sets 12 reps ist set 15 lbs, 3 sets 22.5 lbs
(was going to do bench press with dumbells but headache came back so just did Abs)

Abs:
Hanging--5 sets 10 reps
Crunches--5 sets 20 reps

I have a really bad headache since yesterday. That's why I went to gym later hoping it would go away. I went back to bed and when I woke up it was gone but whilst I was doing my weights it came back. I was struggling to do Abs so I didn't do any cardio, I couldn't run/ride bike with my head hurting.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I couldn't run/ride bike with my head hurting.

No of course not! Grab some pain killers and some water. No need to suffer with a headache.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 08:54

BF:

Hey red!

Sorry to hear about the headache

I got a really bad headache a while back due to not breathing right while doing bench press etc, but sometimes it can just be one of those things that hangs around

Oh yeah, if you are grabbing painkillers check the ingredients and make sure you don't inadvertantly take any that are sugar coated I had to bin a few different ones when I read the ingredients as I started Atkins!

Hope you're feeling better now!
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 18:18
"Natural Mystic"

Sunday June 20, 2003—Day 487-Father's Day

NHE: Day 21-Day Off
Number of Days ‘til Summer: 1

Tomorrow: Legs

Hi Built! Hey Doogie!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 03:11

BF:

Hey Red!

Does that mean that it's now officially summer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
I can picture it.

The thing is, what do I expect, I get funny looks everywhere I go and doing everything I do.... I should be used to it by now
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:42
"Natural Mystic"

Monday June 21, 2003—Day 488

NHE: Day 22
Number of Days ‘til Summer: 0 Doogie I have to get another countdown

Weights:
Quads
Front squats: Barbell 20?? (not sure felt light)lb 4 sets 12 reps
(the gym was a mess today and I couldn't find the barbell that I normally use)

Leg press: 1 set 12 reps 90 lbs
(whilst doing this set notice it was feeling funny then someone said it was broken; had to find something else)

Single Leg Split Squat: 3 sets 12 reps Barbell 20??lbs

Leg Extensions: 4 sets 12 reps 30 lbs

Hams
Straight Deadlifts dumbells weight: 4 sets 12 reps 15lbs ea
(upped the weight)

Seated leg curls weight: 3 sets 12 reps 45lbs; 1 sets 12 rep 60 lbs

(Planned on doing lying leg curls but machine occupied again)

Calves
Standing Calf Machine: 1 sets 12 reps 20lbs; 3sets 12 reps 40 lbs

Alternate leg calf raises: 4 sets 12 reps 12 lb dumbells

Calf raises (no weight): 4 sets 12 reps

Abs
Hanging 5 sets 10 reps
Crunches: 5 sets 20 reps
(need to introduce some different ones)

I was so looking forward to this workout and it was so sucky because I didn't use heavy enough weight on front squats and split squats.

I could have looked for another one but those guys keep putting on heavy weights on those barbell and just leaving them and I can't move them and then they just leave them all over the place so you can't even find them where they are supposed to be.

Also, now I am keeping track of time and trying to keep it under an hour I didn't have time to do cardio so will have to make it up tomorrow.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:39

BF:

Hi Red!

Your gym sounds like a pain in the butt Can you not even manage to strip the barbells one plate at a time? Or find a member of gym staff and make them do it for you ..... I'm sure most guys in the gym would be happy to help if you asked them!
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 17:04
"Natural Mystic"

Tuesday June 22, 2003—Day 489
Weight: Did not weigh

NHE: Day 23

Cardio: Total: 40 minss--22 minutes, Treadmill BFL style; + 18 minutes moderate

Tomorrow is carbup--thinking about if I should have the same thing again or something else. Maybe kingfish if I can get some with ??. I know I want plantain again
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 01:32

BF:

Hey Red!

Awwwwww, when you post things like that you always sound so cute, lol, I'm sorry I don't mean to be patronising, you just sound like a wee cutie

Unfortunately I didn't get my leg press up.... I had planned to get it to 573 lbs but after the incident I decided to keep my max to 529 lbs.... there's always next time!

My quads and glutes are killing me nicely today
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

[/QUOTE]Tomorrow is carbup--thinking about if I should have the same thing again or something else. Maybe kingfish if I can get some with ??. I know I want plantain again [/B][/FONT] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

just make sure that carbs not protein are the focus of your meals...enjoy
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 19:37
"Natural Mystic"

Wednesday June 23, 2003—Day 490
Weight: Did not weigh--TOM

NHE: Day 24--Carbup Day

Weights:
Back
Pulldowns 4 sets 12 reps 52.5lbs
Cable Rows: 4 sets 12 reps--2 sets 37.5 lbs 2 sets 30 pounds
Seated Back Machine 4 sets 12 rep--1 set 22.5 lbs 3 sets 15 pounds

Chest:
Incline bench press (machine) 4 sets 12 reps 45 lbs
Pec machine 4 sets 12 reps--2 sets 37.5 lbs, 2 sets 30 pounds
Bench Press 4 sets 12 reps--2 sets 10lbs + Bar , 2 sets 8lb dumbells
(was too fatigued to continue with barbell)

Abs:
Hanging--4 sets 12 reps
Crunches--5 sets 20 reps

Thanks Lift!

Carbup Meal:
2 ozs King fish (broiled w/ garlic, sea salt, thyme and onions) (used mackerel in fitday)
3 ozs beans (red, kidney)
4 ozs sweet potato
1/4 plantain
2 ozs onion
1 tablespoon lc bbq sauce
sips of diet crush

Calories: 580; Fat 7g (12%), Saturated fat 3%; Carbs 104g, Net Carbs 84g; Protein 30g [9g from direct source] (23%)
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 19:43
"Natural Mystic"

Main difference between TKD and CKD:

TKD: Targeted ketogenic diet
CKD: Cyclical ketogenic diet

To achieve these very low insulin levels you must consume less than 30 or even 20 g of carbohydrates per day. If you perform anaerobic activity, ketonogenesis will occur faster, usually in 2-3 days.

Ketosis, even in the short term, increases the body's ability to utilize fat for fuel. Also, ketones provide much of the body's energy needs and have an anticatabolic action. Ketosis increases fat oxidation during exercise, even if you are a highly-trained athlete.

In TKD, small amounts of carbs are used before, during and/or after exercise to provide muscle glycogen. This way, you increase your performance because you replenish the glycogen stores without causing major insulin/blood glucose swings. It is well known that anaerobic activity tends to lower insulin levels. You consume 25-50 grams of carbs about 30-60 minutes before, or immediately after training.

You will return to ketosis a few hours later. Fat intake should be avoided when taking in carbs via the chosen source.

In CKD large amounts of carbohydrates are introduced for short periods. Usually you carb-up on the weekends for anywhere from 12-36 hours. This is like 5 or 6 days of a strict ketogenic diet, followed by 1-2 day(s) of carb-up. Dan Duchaine recommends 16g carbs per kg lbm during the first 24 hours, and 9g/kg lbm the second 24 hours. On the first day, carb calories make up 70% of daily caloric consumption, protein 15% and fat 15%. On the second day, carbs make up 60%, protein 20% and fat 20%.

In both cases:

Start at 10% under caloric maintenance levels or multiply 12*bodyweight (pounds). You can adjust the amount of calories based on the progress you observe. (113*12= 1356 calories)

Eat meat, bacon, fish, mayonnaise, heavy cream, cream cheese, hard cheeses (limit their consumprion to small amounts because many contain some carbs) and oils.

You can use artificial sweetenersm but not sorbitol.

Citric acid kicks some people out of ketosis, so you may have to avoid it. (It’s found in diet sodas).

Drink more than 1 gallon of water per day.

Avoid alcohol consumption: it won't kick you out of ketosis but it will stop lipolysis (temporarily, of course).

What's the best for me?

If your want to sustain high-intensity exercise, TKD is your best bet. With CKD, you can only have 1-2 good workouts, the day(s) after the carb-up. Then, your workouts will become weak and counter-productive.

On the other hand, with the CKD,you enjoy a 1 or 2 day carb feast and your mood is great. Finally, it is obvious that in the TKD you are going to burn some more bodyfat. The choice is yours.

TKD has a number of advantages over the CKD:
First, it is not tied to any specific training protocol and is easily adapted to whatever routine one might currently be using

Second, the TKD, rather than relying on a massive carb-up which leaves some individuals sluggish, involves consuming small amounts of carbs prior to, or following, exercise. In contrast to the CKD, it allows one to maintain training intensity.

The biggest disadvantage to the TKD:
While I’ve mentioned the lack of a carb-up as a positive it is actually, in my opinion, the biggest disadvantage to the TKD. Lately there has been a great deal of interest in a hormone called leptin and the vitally important role it plays in the success (or failure) of one’s diet.

Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone, and leptin levels are determined primarily by bodyfat percentage and food intake. When leptin levels fall (as they do at the beginning of a diet) a cascade of negative hormonal effects occur.

The results are a greatly increased appetite and a reapportioning of calories toward fat stores. (1) While this would have kept our ancestors alive during times of famine, they are exactly the opposite of what a dieter wants. It is now thought that short term, massive carbohydrate overfeeding (aka the carb-up) will help to reduce this inevitable drop in leptin (4). So, you can understand why the lack of a carb-up in the TKD can be considered a major
disadvantage.

I feel a combination of the two is the best approach for most people. Ingesting a moderate amount of carbohydrates before and/or after exercise (as with the TKD) will help to maintain performance.

Incorporating regular refeeds (as with the CKD) will help to maintain leptin levels which in turn help maintain fat loss, curb hunger, and help you hold on to precious lean body mass.

Combining both approaches means the diet, in most cases, will never put one in ketosis.

Last edited by red1cutie : Thu, Jun-24-04 at 19:22. Reason: Double post
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 21:36
"Natural Mystic"

Thursday June 24, 2003—Day 491
Weight: Did not weigh--TOM

NHE: Day 25

Weights: Late workout b/c of carbup yesterday, done at home,