Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1021   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie
Overeating does NOT cause Diabetes, it can exacerbate it.
We see more Diabetes because we are able to diagnose it. There are many thin diabetics.
Overeating can be a symptom of Diabetes, as can obesity.
This is a horrid myth you push that Diabetics around the world are just astounded by. There are body builders, athletes, people who never ate a lot of garbage (me), people who exercised...who became diabetic.

This MYTH that
"if you took care of yourself, you wouldn't have Diabetes" is an awful lie because it blames the person who has the disease.

This is not alcoholism.

You have to understand what causes the pancreas to malfunction.

tudiabetes.com

You quoted what I said, so reread it please. I did not say overeating causes diabetes. And eating way too much sugar/starch DOES cause the diseases of the modern world. And as our sugar/starch consumption increases, the incidents of diabetes in younger and younger people increase. Along with other diseases of the modern world.

You may not like this, it may not be politically correct, but if you look at cultures where there is little to no carb consumption, there is little to no T2 diabetes.

And as I said, I think we overeat because we're gaining weight, not the other way around. That means I DON'T think we're overweight because we over eat.
Sponsored Links
  #1022   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:46

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
You quoted what I said, so reread it please. I did not say overeating causes diabetes. And eating way too much sugar/starch DOES cause the diseases of the modern world. And as our sugar/starch consumption increases, the incidents of diabetes in younger and younger people increase. Along with other diseases of the modern world.

You may not like this, it may not be politically correct, but if you look at cultures where there is little to no carb consumption, there is little to no T2 diabetes.

And as I said, I think we overeat because we're gaining weight, not the other way around. That means I DON'T think we're overweight because we over eat.

You previously wrote But we can most definitely can and do eat ourselves into the diseases of the modern world

You are wrong to say sugars and starches caused an increase in Diabetes.
That's the garbage being put out there by CNN saying that fruit juice in schools promotes diabetes.

You wrote: And as our sugar/starch consumption increases, the incidents of diabetes in younger and younger people increase. Along with other diseases of the modern world.

Again, you're getting some kind of information from the 5 o'clock news.

One good book for you to read is Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl, because it explains Diabetes in a great way.

Diabetes is not about PC. Diabetics are just sick of people saying they are at fault for having the disease. This is just a way of blaming people who are overweight, when many diabetics are not overweight.

I probably ate more healthy than most people. I eat a diet based on vegetables, salads, rather than sandwiches, cookies, and such.

Please understand the disease first. I agree that a high carb diet is not good.

Here is a good link explaining diabetes http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

#1023   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 14:49

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
So what is diabetes then? Let's see. It's not contagious. It's not genetic since even the healthiest individuals develop it in later years. It must be environmental, i.e. outside the body yet not an infectious agent like bacteria or virus. I vote for whatever is most directly affected by diabetes: Glucose metabolism. Well then, if diabetes is merely the disruption of glucose metabolism, then I vote for glucose poisoning as the cause of this disruption.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/359/21/2220

http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/19/4/491
  #1024   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 15:06

BF:

Quote:
You previously wrote But we can most definitely can and do eat ourselves into the diseases of the modern world

That's the garbage being put out there by CNN saying that fruit juice in schools promotes diabetes.

You wrote: And as our sugar/starch consumption increases, the incidents of diabetes in younger and younger people increase. Along with other diseases of the modern world.

One good book for you to read is Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl, because it explains Diabetes in a great way.

Diabetes is not about PC. Diabetics are just sick of people saying they are at fault for having the disease. This is just a way of blaming people who are overweight, when many diabetics are not overweight.

I probably ate more healthy than most people. I eat a diet based on vegetables, salads, rather than sandwiches, cookies, and such.

Here is a good link explaining diabetes http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

If I watched main stream media, you may have a point, but I haven't watched TV at all in years.

I know there are a lot of skinny people who have diabetes. Just because someone is thin, in good shape, etc., doesn't mean that they eat a low carb, mainly meat diet. In the US, our diets are appalling. Even our "healthy" diets, maybe ESPECIALLY what is considered healthy, is designed to raise our blood sugar repeatedly over the course of a day. 6 small meals, high in starches and sugars, with less or no fat to even slow down the sugar shooter involved in that is a recipe for disaster.

Is it possible that there is a genetic component as well? Of course! Other envirornmental factors? Sure. Even blame moms for sub-optimal nutrition while pregnant? Ok, fine. These all contribute. No where have I said they do not.

Why not also look at what causes that up and down up and down. Our increasingly refined carbohydrate intake. This is NOT a matter of blaming the victim. People honestly do not know better. We are taught really bad diet habits. And our food is getting more refined and we're also becoming more sedentary.

Diabetes, if it is preventable in many cases, or if it can be postponed with diet, why is this a BAD thing? Of course, no one is going to put it off or avoid it following the standard things we are taught. The American Diabetes Association and many endocrinologists and nutritionists just follow the party of line of animal fat bad, sugar not as bad.
  #1025   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 15:42

BF:

A further thought. When comparing Inuits who ate a native diet compared to those who ate a western diet, the ones eating a western diet had a much higher incidence of all the modern diseases, including diabetes (almost non-existent in the Inuits eating a native diet). They weren't living that far apart. Their genetics were similar. The real difference was the diet and movement level.

Edit to add: Again, I want to make clear that I don't think obesity is the culprit. I don't think most people here believe that. I believe that obesity is yet another symptom of our highly refined diet and one symptom that many people don't develop. I also think there are people who are genetically predisposed to be heavier than others. I see that in my family. However, that doesn't mean that the diseases cannot be avoided with diet.

Look at it this way. I'm most likely prediabetic. I am able to fend off diabetes and have normal blood sugar by eating low carb. Had I always had a mainly meat diet, I would have the same stable blood sugar side effect.
  #1026   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 16:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
A rise in blood sugar isn't always bad. It is HOW MUCH the blood sugar rises. Blood sugar rises in normal individuals after eating.
This is what diabetics try to control, because ours goes too high or too low. The pancreas is not working properly and sometimes, the beta cells become so bad off, insulin is needed.

Too much sugar is bad for a diabetic, because the body cannot handle it.

My blood sugar doesn't rise after I eat. On the contrary, it drops. Insulin will lower blood sugar. I eat only fat meat and water. Protein stimulates insulin. So, when I eat fat meat and water, insulin rises. As it does so, it lowers blood sugar. Blood sugar returns to normal when insulin returns to normal.

I'm not diabetic but if I were, I would seriously consider the above paragraph.
  #1027   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 16:48

BF:

I was being rhetorical. What happens when a diabetic stops eating carbohydrate entirely?
  #1028   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 19:00

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
What about this doctor, will he do?
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Thank you for backing me up, and with one of my favorite docs no less. And as I told Korn my doc also confirmed.
  #1029   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 20:50

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
A rise in blood sugar isn't always bad. It is HOW MUCH the blood sugar rises. Blood sugar rises in normal individuals after eating.
This is what diabetics try to control, because ours goes too high or too low. The pancreas is not working properly and sometimes, the beta cells become so bad off, insulin is needed.

Too much sugar is bad for a diabetic, because the body cannot handle it.
]

Yes, how much it rises is important. Anytime your blood sugar levels are over 140, your body is experiencing damage. I understand that some researchers believe that even 120 is too high and cause damage. So, really, when is a rise in blood sugar good for you?

And, yes, too much sugar is bad for anybody but especially for someone who is diabetic. Carbs=sugar. Same thing. Therefore, carbs are bad for diabetics.

BTW, I just spent quite a bit of time poking around the tudiabetes site. Sorry, not impressed. I mean, really, there are people there advocating that no dietary changes are needed as they can just bolus more? People advocating baquettes, cinnamon toast, Honey Bunch of Oats, and other high-carb items for breakfast? Please.
  #1030   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 20:59

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
A further thought. When comparing Inuits who ate a native diet compared to those who ate a western diet, the ones eating a western diet had a much higher incidence of all the modern diseases, including diabetes (almost non-existent in the Inuits eating a native diet). They weren't living that far apart. Their genetics were similar. The real difference was the diet and movement level.

Edit to add: Again, I want to make clear that I don't think obesity is the culprit. I don't think most people here believe that. I believe that obesity is yet another symptom of our highly refined diet and one symptom that many people don't develop. I also think there are people who are genetically predisposed to be heavier than others. I see that in my family. However, that doesn't mean that the diseases cannot be avoided with diet.

Look at it this way. I'm most likely prediabetic. I am able to fend off diabetes and have normal blood sugar by eating low carb. Had I always had a mainly meat diet, I would have the same stable blood sugar side effect.

I started off like you. "Pre-diabetic." I walked and ran a full hour daily. I mean a real workout. I went out when it was freezing out too.
Or raining.
I ate 1200 calories a day, sort of an Atkins, with meat, fish, poultry, eggs, tons of vegetables, no grains, just some occasional brown rice.

Have them monitor your insulin levels. Mine were high. Now they go low and my sugar goes up.

I had a doctor telling me for years I was not "bad off".

Diabetes is a genetic disease. It is in my family.

My mother is very thin, eats like a bird, and has high (familial) cholesterol.
  #1031   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 21:00

BF:
Progress:

Also, you cannot "fend off" Diabetes.

For all of the people who ate right, exercised and developed this, then you'd be an anomaly.
  #1032   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 21:01

BF:
Progress:

Were you diagnosed with high blood sugar or high insulin levels, that you'd call yourself "pre-diabetic"?

The medical establishment doesn't recognize that, either you're diabetic or not, but I know what you mean by it.
  #1033   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 21:27

BF:

Quote:
Diabetes is a genetic disease. It is in my family.

Here's the choice you have. Either you believe diabetes is genetic, which means you have no choice about it and you'll just have to suffer from it for the rest of your life. Or, you believe that diabetes is merely a symptom of carbohydrate poisoning, which you have a choice on the matter, stop eating carbohydrate and stop suffering from it and return to good health.

You think it's food you're eating?
  #1034   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 22:00

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Here's the choice you have. Either you believe diabetes is genetic, which means you have no choice about it and you'll just have to suffer from it for the rest of your life. Or, you believe that diabetes is merely a symptom of carbohydrate poisoning, which you have a choice on the matter, stop eating carbohydrate and stop suffering from it and return to good health.

You think it's food you're eating?

Yes!!!! All of my grandparents but one had diabetes, my mother has diabetes, as well as numerous others in both sides of my family and then of course I developed it. I could have just threw up my hands and said it's genetic and now I am stuck with it for life and will have to pay big pharma for life (don't get me going on that one ); instead I started looking for an alternative when I came across Protein Power by the Drs. Eades and it made sense. I gave it a try and boy am I so thankful. Diabetes gone (of course I know it would come back if I went back to my old way of eating), and several other hyperinsulinemic ailments went with it.

And there are those here trying to convince us you can't eat your way to it and that is caused by something other than all the high carbs in the average diet. I know this for a fact, I ate my way away from it thus I believe that I also ate my way to it. The only change I made was to diet and it was the very diet that claimed it could change it. HMMM doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out?
  #1035   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 22:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:

I have read Blood Sugar 101 and I think she has a lot of good info. However, you can eat your way into diabetes and I'm living proof of it.

I bought into the low-fat/high-carb myth, gained weight from a slim 130# to 240#, experiencing severe blood glucose swings causing crashes that made me want to eat my arm (if food wasn't readily available). I didn't eat many calories (usually 1200-1400/day) but I gained and became hypoglycemic and diabetic in the process.

Now, obviously, I had a genetic predisposition towards this. My husband eats far more than I ever did, loves his breads, and isn't not overweight and has enviable blood glucose levels.

If I had not bought into the low-fat/high-carb myth, I'm convinced that I would either not be diabetic at this time or I would have a less severe case of it with far less intense sensitivity to carbs.

Now, if I had stayed with the high-fat/mod-protein/low-carb way of eating that I naturally was geared to during high school and college when I was still slim, I probably would not have gained the weight and, yes, while there are thin diabetics, excess weight can definitely make the situation worse.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we say our diets didn't cause our illness. Now, I'm not saying people should blame themselves. Particularly people who ate the "healthy" Ornish-way as we were just doing as advised by healthcare professionals and magazines, etc., related to health. We did what we thought was good for us. No blame.

If you have the knowledge, you can do better for yourself by following an eating plan that is more healthy....not only for diabetic control but, for the vast majority of people, for cholesterol/heart health as well. In addition to numerous other diseases like arthritis, asthma, PCOs, and more.

Personally, I think you're putting too much emotion into this situation. Words like blame, guilt, etc., are things we can only do to ourselves. No one can make you feel blamed or guilty, no matter what they say or think. We can only control ourselves. When my blood sugar was seriously out-of-control and I had massive swings, I really didn't have much control of my emotions at all. Now I do. It's amazing what low-carb can do. And I realize it's silly to blame myself for doing what I thought was right. Now I know better.

I'm sure my post is upsetting to you but that's not my intent. I think we need to take personal responsibility and a part of that is admitting that we have some control of the situation by eating in a way that stabilizes our blood sugars as much as possible, then getting medication if our diet/exercise can't get us to optimal control.

It just doesn't make sense to me to say we can do behavior changes that improve our health but then to deny that bad behavior choices can have negative impacts on our health, too. You can't have one without the other.