Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 07:14

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
And any of you who even THINK of doing KimKims, I'm going to find out where you live, come to your house and beat you black and blue with a rib eye.

I ain't jokn'!

Lisa

Oh man....I have spent many a work hour pouring over old Kimkins threads on the other board and on Jimmy's site. I love that drama!!!! What a hoodwink eh?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 07:24

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
Oh man....I have spent many a work hour pouring over old Kimkins threads on the other board and on Jimmy's site. I love that drama!!!! What a hoodwink eh?

When I was doing Kimkins (March or April of '07, I think) I posted on the KK message board that I couldn't sleep at night. Kimmer herself (or should I say Heidi) responded that I should do what she does, and get up (in the middle of the night!) and burn off that energy by doing the laundry.

Hoodwink is right!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:09
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Bawdywench - this reminded me of some thoughts I had for another person on here a few months ago. I had to rethink my Atkin's plan of choice a year ago because. like many that are in menopause or have thyroid issues, the plan did not work to reduce me like it once did. Therefore, I came up with a "hybrid plan." This is that post.

SO - this is all what worked for me this year, plus I had to get on the right thyroid medicine. As I said, I KNEW alcohol wasn't something I was going to quit entirely (I like it - I admit it too!) Therefore, I had to choose something else that is high is calories to give up in order to make a plan work and for me, this was added fats. I know many say calories don't count, but for me, they definitely DID (Judy was right there 100%)! I definitely increased my veges and kept in mind also that excess protein would turn into glucose. I found the veges satiated me and of course, helps with BM's a lot as we all know. It's hard to say now exactly what helped me to lose the 13 pounds (still 5 left) so I will have to say it's the "hybrid" plan I ultimately came up with that combines many schools of thought here. Hopefully, you will be able to "rethink" your plan and devise your own plan that will help you reach your weight goal.

Also - do google the blogs on Intermittent Fasting and how this slows the aging process. Seeing the pictures of the monkeys is what sold me on this more than anything!!!

But...when you really look at this, isn't this really just the OWL and phase 2 of Atkins and SB??

I think for most of us and I do mean the majority of us find that calories do count. I think this is a huge misconception (or a form of denial) that calories don't count specifically at the end trying to get those last pounds off. I find that those who usually don't have a calorie issue are men, and youngn's with a healthy metabolism. Ever see a woman of a "certain age" where she didn't really have to adjust her calories downward?? Even Dr. Atkins said that as you get closer to goal you have to adjust your calories--albeit LC gives you the advantage that you can more calories than if you were on a LF diet.

I def agree with IF---people are just eating and grazing thru out their days and wonder why they're not geting the results...hmmmmm...could it be because you're eating all the time I thin k people are scared of IF--they think they're going to starve to death. The beauty of IF is that it can be individualized to suit---me? 2 meals a day.

Just an opinion and you guys know what those are like?

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:22

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"def agree with IF---people are just eating and grazing thru out their days and wonder why they're not geting the results...hmmmmm...could it be because you're eating all the time I thin k people are scared of IF--they think they're going to starve to death. The beauty of IF is that it can be individualized to suit---me? 2 meals a day."

I definitely eased into IF. Originally I would just skip eating on the weekends when I went out with the kids and could only get food that was OK for them. It was only on the weekends. Then it took about a year to wrap my head around how IF could work for me and not just be skipping one meal - in the meantime, I had started skipping breakfast for convenience's sake and only doing lunch and dinner. But there was still a mental barrier to going whole hog. Hubby does IF, but eats after 6. That wouldn't work for me because I work late and work out in the evening (need fuel). So I finally decided lunch would be my one meal. But it took me two years after feeling positively inclined towards IF and seeing results in hubby to actually DO IT. And it's only been a week, but I can't imagine going back to how I was eating. Nothing is immediate, least of all changing our habits!
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:

I def agree with IF---people are just eating and grazing thru out their days and wonder why they're not geting the results...hmmmmm...could it be because you're eating all the time I thin k people are scared of IF--they think they're going to starve to death. The beauty of IF is that it can be individualized to suit---me? 2 meals a day.

Just an opinion and you guys know what those are like?

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

IF is the only way I can lose and keep off that durn perimenopausal weight! I feel great doing it too, just have my big old meal for the day and then I don't have to make any decisions of what I'm going to snack on, etc...I'm done. If I'm really "starving" for something, I just make a protein shake w/ 2 TBLS of heavy whipping cream and maybe a few blueberries or strawberries and I feel totally happy.

Last edited by Didy : Wed, Jun-09-10 at 13:25.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:44

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

the thing about IF is in semantics to a great degree.
eating two meals a day used to be called skipping breakfast but now the IF'ers have claimed it as their own.
and many of those peop are not really fasting at all but sucking down coffee w cream or some such 'filler'.....

during the '70's/'80's i fasted and fasted along w every other hippie/vegetarian.
i now refer to it as the 'F' word and i don't want to do it.
there's this woe called Low Carb that also slows the aging process.

and about those calories; i eat about twice the amt i ate as a vegetarian.
the reduction of meat in my lc life allowed me much more freedom and i replaced many of those cals w salad dressings, full fat dairy, etc. so really my cals now are higher than when i was eating vlc.
of course vlc can diminish the apetite to the point where cals are pretty low. IMHO that's where metabolism slows and thyroid issues kick in.
of course, i am in the camp that believes we can stimulate the metabolism (or kill it) w food.

i really think that climbing the atkins ladder is important and that may include reducing protien...which may not have been factored into his earleir books.

i think that anyone who is just stuck forever should think this is worthy of trying.

that may be one of the reasons that Primal Blueprint is so popular; those that are eating BAS and other vegies are lowering the protien enough to lose and control BG's more effectively.

bawdy, i love the activity this thread has stimulated. i love looking at what others have discovered....
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:13

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
When I was doing Kimkins (March or April of '07, I think) I posted on the KK message board that I couldn't sleep at night. Kimmer herself (or should I say Heidi) responded that I should do what she does, and get up (in the middle of the night!) and burn off that energy by doing the laundry.

Hoodwink is right!

OMGGG. I want to go out for coffee with you so bad. So at the end what happened??? Did everyone turn or does she still have a loyal fanbase? Wasn't it basically a starvation diet? 700 calories or something? INSANE!!!!!!!!!

HAHAH. Her profile pic was so hot too...I can't think of a bigger PWN than whoever it was uncovered The Real "Kimmer".
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:22

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"eating two meals a day used to be called skipping breakfast but now the IF'ers have claimed it as their own.
and many of those peop are not really fasting at all but sucking down coffee w cream or some such 'filler'....."

I always thought the definition of IF was pretty clear - either a 20/4 fast or an 18/6 fast, no calories outside of that window.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I always thought the definition of IF was pretty clear - either a 20/4 fast or an 18/6 fast, no calories outside of that window.

I don't think it was ever that clear-cut. I guess it depends on whose version you follow, or if you make up your own. A lot of us followed what was outlined by an Eades posting and I think it was kind of a loose interpretation of a much stricter IF.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:49

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I always thought that IF was like 20 hours no food and 4 hours in which you could eat. I know everyone tweaks everything.

So, those of you who IF, what are your timeframes?

20/4?
18/6?
16/8?

Other?

Once I get used to eating absolutely no junk food, I can easily have just black coffee for breakfast and not think about food again until around 2:00. Then we always have dinner no later than 7:00, so would that be considered IFing? That's 19/5.

Are the benefits to IFing really that great? Is it that much better than doing the above, but having a small protein shake in the morning?
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:51

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Jem51 - I have never seen any studies like this one relating low carb to an anti-aging diet with monkeys as examples. if you know of any, please share them!

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/201...ittent-fasting/

I guess I am still considered lo carb but by many LC'ers, but I thought eating 60 or 70 carbs daily would be considered too high on the Atkin's ladder for a weight loss phase. I sure never climbed that far and still was actively losing weight in the past. Of course, I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease, and probably had it then (trying to lose on Atkins) but didn't know it. My endocrinologist however wanted me to eat some carbs (fruits and veges) because he thought my metabolism would be much slower without these foods (like on VLC.) He would joke and say "Throw in some kindling....turn up the heat!" I thought he was wrong at that time but reluctantly agreed and this turned out to be true for me. Increasing these foods naturally lowered the calories and also naturally decreased the amount of protein I was consuming as well.

I think I had to "reteach" my body how to use carbs for fuel and I also believe modified SB helped me achieve this. Knowing I can have a sweet potato and an orange and still lose was good for me as I love these foods! Learning how to incorporate vegetables into breakfast was a little difficult but I have found I love sauteed squash, onions, and spinach in my egg fritattas everyday! Finally, though I don't always use a lowfat dressing, I ended up making a SB friendly dressing using Grey Poupon, Balsamic Viniagrette and splenda and using it most often. This plus IF helped me lower my calories enough on a regular basis to lose the weight IMO.

It's whatever works, right? It' different for all of us but I ended up trusting Judy's advice and found it ultimately worked for me. After the summer, if I don't continue to trend downward after a period of months, I am going to try a more purist SB plan and see if I can lose the last 5! I know I have found the best maintenance plan for me - which is also a very important part of the weight loss journey.

Good luck everyone!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I always thought that IF was like 20 hours no food and 4 hours in which you could eat. I know everyone tweaks everything.

So, those of you who IF, what are your timeframes?

20/4?
18/6?
16/8?

Other?

Once I get used to eating absolutely no junk food, I can easily have just black coffee for breakfast and not think about food again until around 2:00. Then we always have dinner no later than 7:00, so would that be considered IFing? That's 19/5.

Are the benefits to IFing really that great? Is it that much better than doing the above, but having a small protein shake in the morning?

YES! This is IF!!! I do an 18/6 at least 4 days per week! Look at the study above!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:57

BF:

#89   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 11:04

BF:

Yep - had to say - one more hour at 2:00 I can have my breakfast! I always make sure I end my meals by 7:00 or if having wine, the latest 8:00!

On the weekends, the IF goes out the window when I am out to sea for several days. I catch and cook fresh fish and shellfish plus have other couples on the boat with us as well. It would be almost impossible to do this when I am cooking and handling so much food! However, on Monday, I ease back into IF with a 6 hour window and by Wednesday, I have complete control over my appetite and can sometimes even wait until 3 without eating with a four hour window. The more I shock my body, the better I seem to do. A "routine" is something I easily "adapt" to and can go for years without any change!
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 11:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Also Bawdy - read this!

OK. NOW I understand IFing. You eat for 4 hours and read for 20 hours!