Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 11:59

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
There is a poster using that quote at Despair.com. Maybe you ought to put it in your office Regina

http://demotivators.stores.yahoo.net/consulting.html

Thanks so much! That site is hilarious. I need to buy some of their products for my husband.
Since none of their quotes seem attributed to anyone, does this mean they are theirs?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 12:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

We really ought to have a low carb wiki setup to store all these wonderful references to studies.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 12:25

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I have subscribed to this thread! Thanks, Regina!
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 13:01

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
Thanks so much! That site is hilarious. I need to buy some of their products for my husband.
Since none of their quotes seem attributed to anyone, does this mean they are theirs?

I think it means it's either theirs or that no one has ever copyrighted it.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 18:12
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc
If you add up the dollars on the contributors page, it comes out to more than $15 million. How old is this interview?

May 16th, 2005.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 19:09
Don't Call Me Sugar

Sorry for the Big McLargeHuge post, but I did put some real time and effort into this.
So read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
You asked....
(...)

Thanks for the info. I thought you meant decades-long studies on patients, as in long-term study data, but this is still interesting.

So, I have taken some time today to dig into these cites, and find the text. I don't have time to read all of them, so I've just picked a few out. First I just highlighted a section and was picking titles out of that, then I broadened and picked some because the titles sounded relevant, or interesting to me personally (like the Bantu one). Everything I picked is listed.

I would like to invite other readers of this thread to do the same, and pick out some titles to look up. If you find the text online, please provide a link to it.

Quote:
Prospective comparison of modified fat-high-carbohydrate with standard low-carbohydrate dietary advice in the treatment of diabetes: one year follow-up study. (Click on "PDF" for full text PDF, linking directly to the PDF doesn't work.)
Br J Nutr. 1978 Mar;39(2):357-62
1. A prospective randomized study of two dietary regimens has been started in newly-diagnosed diabetics to determine their effect on circulating metabolites and on diabetic complications. 2. During the first year of treatment the fasting plasma glucose concentrations on both the low-carbohydrate diet and the high-carbohydrate, modified-fat (MF) diet showed a similar decrease. 3. Plasma cholesterol showed a sustained decrease only in patients recommended a MF diet. Transient changes in plasma triglyceride concentrations occurred in patients on both dietary regimens. 4. Increased plasma cholesterol levels are associated with atheromatous disease which is common in diabetics in Europe and North America. A MF diet may therefore have an advantage in that it lowers the plasma cholesterol as well as being effective in lowering the plasma glucose.
A high-carb, modified-fat diet may therefore have an advantage over a low-carb diet? The high carb was 203 g and the low carb was 150 g! High carb for newly-diagnosed diabetics improves insulin sensitivity!?
This openly contradicts your pro-low-carb position. This is not evidence of th good health of low-carb diets. Are you sure you wanted to cite this?

Quote:
[Contraindications for low carbohydrate diets in certain diabetics.]
Rev Esp Enferm Apar Dig Nutr. 1953 Nov-Dec;12(6):581-4
I can't find the article via the journal site, and anyway I don't speak Spanish (or Portuguese) but I'm game to run it through Babelfish. I don't think the online archive goes back far enough, though. I can't find the author's name in the list.
"Contraindications" means that the study found reasons NOT to use low-carb diets in certain diabetics, anyway. That sounds like it doesn't support your assertions, but I'm willing to read it. Do you have translated text available?

Quote:
Comparative studies on the effect of high carbohydrate diet and low carbohydrate diet in diabetes]
Pol Tyg Lek. 1969 Oct 3;24(44):1697-700
This one's in Polish, and I can't find the text - I don't know Polish enough to even find an online host for the journal. You have read this? Where did you find it?
But I do have to say, the author is not an MD and is a proponent of "balneotherapy" so I'm not sure how seriously I should take her anyway. I will try to be open-minded.

I can't find the full text online. The archive only appears to go back to 2004. There isn't an abstract either. What did this say?

Quote:
Some metabolic changes induced by low carbohydrate diets.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1967 Feb;20(2):139-48
This was a scanned-in PDF so I could not select text, but here's a snapshot of the summary:

That study is about elevated blood lipids on low-carb! It doesn't say low-carb shouldn't be used, but that the 'hazards' should be considered.
It mildly contradicts your position, certainly doesn't support it.

Quote:
Basal and postprotein insulin and glucagon levels during a high and low carbohydrate intake and their relationships to plasma triglycerides.
Diabetes. 1975 Jun;24(6):552-8
Of those patients in whom a high carbohydrate intake induced a triglyceride rise of at least 40 mg. per deciliter, a significant correlation between the change in I/G and the change in triglycerides was noted (r equals 0.85; p smaller than 0.01). The results are compatible with but do not prove the proposal that pancreatic alpha and beta cells play a mediating role in carbohydrate induction of hyperlipidemia.
This is mildly positive in that it indicates something about how high carb intake can lead to higher blood lipids. However, it was a short (one-week) study, looking for a specific pancreatic action, and it shows correlation, not causation.
This at least starts to support your assertions. However, it was published in the ADA's own journal. Can it be said they are 'withholding' this evidence?

Quote:
Regression of xanthomas in endogenous hypertriglyceridemia under low carbohydrate diet]
Hautarzt. 1977 Dec;28(12):648-52
Report on two patients with endogenous hypertriglyceridemia. In both patients normal serum lipid values were reached in a comparatively short time under a diet with reduced carbohydrates and calories. In one diabetic patient who needed insulin at the beginning of the treatment the disease could be controlled by dietary measures alone after a few days. Different biological half-life periods of the various serum lipid fractions explain why, under a reducing diet, the rate of decrease of lipids is variable according to the respective component. Thus, the ratio of triglycerides and cholesterol can vary in the same patient within a few days and may change his classification under different types of hyperlipidemia according to Fredrickson.
This sounds positive, about fast changes in triglycerides and cholesterol. But the abstract provided doesn't say much, and I can't find the full text as the online archive only goes back to 1994. Also, 'Hautarzt' is 'skin doctor.' This is from a dermatology journal (xanthomas are fatty skin deposits). This does sound interesting in the realm of blood lipids, but it's hard to draw any strong conclusions without knowing how long the study was ('short time' and 'few days' indicate it may have been short), how low-carb the diet was, and so on.

Quote:
Thematic review series: patient-oriented research. Dietary fat, carbohydrate, and protein: effects on plasma lipoprotein patterns.
J Lipid Res. 2006 Aug;47(8):1661-7
Short-term data favor substituting protein and fat for carbohydrate, whereas long-term data have failed to show a benefit for weight loss. During an active weight loss period low-carbohydrate diets more favorably affect triglyceride and HDL and less favorably affect LDL cholesterol concentrations. Additional efforts need to be focused on gaining a better understanding of the effect of dietary macronutrient profiles on established and emerging cardiovascular disease risk factors, mechanisms for changes observed and contributors to individual variability. Such data are needed to allow reassessment and, if necessary, modification of current recommendations.
(...)
It is difficult to isolate the independent effects of dietary fat, carbohydrate, and protein on plasma lipoprotein profiles. The data available are confounded by changes in body weight and alterations in the intake of two or more macronutrients necessitated to minimize body weight changes. Given the high degree of variability in response among individuals, specific recommendations for dietary fat, carbohydrate, and protein to optimize plasma lipoprotein patterns need to be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration a realistic anticipated level of compliance. A considerable amount is known about the effect of fatty acid subclasses, and in some cases individual fatty acids, on plasma lipoprotein patterns and the metabolic basis for these effects. Additional efforts need to be focused on gaining a better understanding of the effect of the macronutrient content of the diet on established and emerging CVD risk factors other than lipoprotein patterns,
understanding the mechanisms associated with diet induced changes in lipoprotein patterns and contributors to individual variability in response, and then to reassess and if necessary modify current recommendations.
This is a good read. It's not a study, but a review of data. She thinks we should update dietary recommendations based on science, but concludes that more research is needed before recommending low-carb across the board. It also mentions 'realistic anticipated level of compliance,' which is something we've mentioned in the thread. It's dated 2006. So that actually supports what the ADA says: more research is needed.
I wouldn't say it supports your assertions.

Can't find the text - online archive only goes back to 2002. You have the text?

There's no really good short text to quote, but this study found in favor of a higher-carb, high-fiber diet compared to a lower-carb, lower-fiber one, because it lowers fasting blood plasma glucose over 2-3 weeks. The low-carb diet wasn't very low-carb, around 30% of diet (high was 60% of diet).
This contradicts your pro-low-carb position.

Quote:
The effect of sucrose content in high and low carbohydrate diets on plasma glucose, insulin, and lipid responses in hypertriglyceridemic humans.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1984 Oct;59(4):636-42
To further understand the effect of high carbohydrate (CHO)-low fat diets and the role of variations in dietary sucrose on CHO and lipid metabolism, 10 patients with hypertriglyceridemia were fed 2 isocaloric, typical American diets, containing 40% and 60% CHO, for 15 days in random sequence. Each patient was their own control, and they were divided into 2 groups of 5 patients each. In one group, sucrose was held constant at 13% of total calories (40-13% and 60-13%), whereas the sucrose content was 9% of the total calories on a 40% CHO diet (40- 9%), and 15% of total calories on a 60% CHO diet (60-15%) in the other group. Fasting and postprandial blood samples were analyzed for plasma glucose, insulin, cholesterol (Chol), and triglycerides (TG), as well as for Chol and TG in chylomicrons, very low density, low density, and high density lipoproteins (HDL). Fasting plasma TG levels were significantly increased in both groups on the 60% CHO diet, primarily due to increases in very low density-TG concentration. The magnitude of the elevation was attenuated when sucrose content was kept constant. Postprandial TG responses were qualitatively similar. There were no significant changes in plasma Chol concentrations, except for a modest fall in plasma HDL-Chol level after the 60-13% diet period (P less than 0.05). No significant differences were found in fasting plasma glucose or insulin concentration. However, postprandial glucose and insulin responses were increased on both high CHO diets. The results of these studies demonstrate that high CHO-low fat diets, in general, tend to elevate plasma glucose, insulin, and TG concentrations and reduce HDL- Chol concentration in patients with endogenous hypertriglyceridemia. In addition, these data illustrate the important role that small variations in dietary sucrose can play in modulation of CHO and lipid metabolism.
All I can get online is the abstract, so let me know if the text provides more interesting details. Based on the abstract, this one does sound very good, though. In people who have high triglycerides, a very high carb diet with lots of sucrose makes them worse. This was a 15-day study, that is not very long-term.
Also, this says nothing about going particularly low-carb for positive effect, it merely indicates negative results from going very high-carb with a certain amount of sucrose in the daily diet. This does not go very far in supporting your position, but it's on the positive side.

One more makes a dozen:
Quote:
Effect of carbohydrate restriction and high carbohydrates diets on men with chemical diabetes.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1977 Mar;30(3):402-8
The influence of low carbohydrate (CHO) diets, starvation, and high CHO diets on glucose tolerance tests (GTT) and plasma insulin response of men with chemical diabetes was studied. The GTT and insulin responses of these seven lean diabetic men were unchanged when the carbohydrate content of the diet was reduced from 44 to 20% of calories. After a 48-hr fast a significant deterioration of the GTT was observed in these diabetic men but the percentage change was identical to that reported previously for normal men. Thus these studies indicate that changes in glucose mtes are quite similar to those reported previously for normal men. The fasting plasma glucose values of seven lean and four obese men with chemical diabetes were significantly lower after one week on a 75% CHO diet than values on a 44% CHO diet. The 75% CHO diet also was accompanied by slight improvements in the oral and intravenous GTT and by slightly lower plasma insulin responses. The improvement in glucose metabolism on high CHO diets appears to results from increased insulin sensitivity. Serum triglyceride values were approximately 55% higher on the 75% CHO diet than values on the 44% CHO diet for the 11 men but these differences were not statistically significant. These studies support previous observations and suggest that high CHO diets may be beneficial in the management of certain diabetic patients. However, further studies are required to determine the long-term effects of high CHO diets containing natural foods on the glucose and lipid metabolism of diabetic patients.
High carbohydrate diets may be beneficial in the management of certain diabetic patients?!

This is another scanned document, so here's a GIF from the summary:

This certainly doesn't agree with the position you're taking.

Maybe that's only 12 pulled out of what, 250 or so? So, that's nearly 5% and I tried to somewhat randomize my choices. Out of this random-ish sample:
  • Five seem to contradict your position (as I understand it)
  • Three seem to support your position, out of which
    • One was published by the ADA themselves (so they are not 'withholding' it)
    • One was a dermatology study (and no full text yet)
    • One merely said not to eat lots of sugar
  • Four I was unable to read (I'd be happy to if I can get the text)

I was going on the assumption you had evaluated these things you cited. But now I'm not so sure...have you read them? Especially these ones in remote foreign journals!

Last edited by ysabella : Fri, Sep-01-06 at 19:15. Reason: for clarity
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 04:49

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Maybe that's only 12 pulled out of what, 250 or so? So, that's nearly 5% and I tried to somewhat randomize my choices. Out of this random-ish sample:
  • Five seem to contradict your position (as I understand it)
  • Three seem to support your position, out of which
    • One was published by the ADA themselves (so they are not 'withholding' it)
    • One was a dermatology study (and no full text yet)
    • One merely said not to eat lots of sugar
  • Four I was unable to read (I'd be happy to if I can get the text)

I think that your comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
I was going on the assumption you had evaluated these things you cited.
is on track. I know I am not competent to read much more than the abstracts. BUT as the following entries in Dr. Mike Eades blog indicate, the abstracts are often written to "pass the censors" and do NOT truly reflect the data in the study.

Quote:
Credibility lacking in the scientific literature
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...fic_jour_1.html

Reporting bias and medical studies
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...rting_bias.html

The lipid hypothesis
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ipid_hypot.html

Scientific journal credibility
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...tific_jour.html

Most scientific articles are false
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...scientific.html

Baboon business - Anatomy of a Scientific Article
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...n_business.html

Statistical humbug
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...stics_is_n.html

Because of his blogs, such as these, and the massive research shown by the bibliography for Protein Power Lifeplan (over 400 cites), I have total faith in Dr. Eades and by extrapolation also in Regina since her blogs track so closely with Mike’s.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 07:17
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
This certainly doesn't agree with the position you're taking.

Oh, so you think I'm a cherry-picker? LOL

Nope, sorry to disappoint - the citations are positive, neutral and negative for findings.

See, that's the thing with evidence-based medicine standards - you take the good and the bad and take it all to review and weigh it all in coming to a determination. You don't just pick one or two that support your postion - you take them all and see what happens when they're all considered.

Quote:
That study is about elevated blood lipids on low-carb! It doesn't say low-carb shouldn't be used, but that the 'hazards' should be considered.
It mildly contradicts your position, certainly doesn't support it.

If you're firmly of the belief that elevating lipids is hazardous in and of itself and don't look beyond a number, to perhaps the particle size changes, TC:HDL ratios, triglycerides, etc., then you're stuck in the diet-heart hypothesis and unable to open up the question "is this really an increased risk when all other factors are improving?"

Quote:
I was going on the assumption you had evaluated these things you cited. But now I'm not so sure...have you read them? Especially these ones in remote foreign journals!

Every last one of them? Nope.....but most of them, yes - a good number are references in my dissertation. And "remote" foreign journals are available at medical school and research university libraries with translation into english if needed.

You biggest mistake - going by just the abstract....far too often the abstract is out-of-synch with the data within the full-text. I've seen it way too often and never, ever go by just an abstract (even if it's positive) these days!

Lastly, my position isn't "pro low-carb" --- it's pro-science....right now the science is pointing toward carbohydrate restriction (which isn't always as low as, say, Atkins) and while you maintain that because the ADA publishes studies and abstracts in their journals, they're not "withholding" the information.....on one level you're right, but on another you're wrong......they have a duty and obligation to disclose it beyond their journals (which are paid access) to the public and healthcare providers in their position statements accurately.

As it is now, they're taking the position that even though the data is strong and suggestive of benefit, no one is going to do it anyway, therefore they are not going to make a recommendation for it.

That's disingenous and dangerous - with patients out there on medications who may decide to do low-carb on their own with little or no guidance or monitoring it is a disaster in the making. Physicians need a clear guideline that takes them through the dietary approach, the medication reductions, the monitoring involved and what to watch for along the way.

By not taking this critical step, the ADA is setting the stage for a potential train-wreck that can be prevented by simply documenting the protocol. They're also leaving themselves open to huge liability issues in the future, as more data emerges and someone with diabetes is told, in no uncertain terms, the ADA says not to do low-carb.....and they don't.....they follow the ADA recommendations and lose an arm or a leg.....and then find out they might have had a different outcome IF their healthcare team were given another option.

It's a balancing act - what do you recommend, what do you say to avoid.....what to issue cautionous guidelines for......it is this last one, cautious guideline that is what the ADA needs to be doing and they're not.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 07:22
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
Because of his blogs, such as these, and the massive research shown by the bibliography for Protein Power Lifeplan (over 400 cites), I have total faith in Dr. Eades and by extrapolation also in Regina since her blogs track so closely with Mike’s.

Thanks Larry!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-06, 18:24
Don't Call Me Sugar

I missed responding to this while I was writing my big bloated post:

Quote:
Oh, they straight out admit it in their latest treatment algorithm...what they're refusing to disclose is the weight of the evidence for various, different dietary interventions other than their standard dietary recommendations.
They are refusing to disclose it? Or maybe they don't assign the evidence that much weight?

Quote:
And as I pointed out, they've lowered their recommendation for saturated fat to less than 7% and there is NO LEVEL I or II data to support it. Ya know what they classed the "evidence" for the recommendation adjustment? Yup "A" ---- an outright LIE.

The cardiovascular risk of individuals with diabetes is considered to be equivalent to that of nondiabetic individuals with pre-existing CVD. Therefore, in individuals with diabetes, limit saturated fat to <7% of total calories. (A)

Now....go read the citations of support - find one, just one, that is a level 1 study that finds significant benefit when saturated fat is reduced to less than 7%.
Are you expecting me to defend the ADA's dietary recommendations? I have said that I don't like 'em much, except that I have said they will be better than what some people are eating. Which is pretty faint praise.

I agree, they don't appear to be providing info about what studies they mean. That "A" grade is mysterious. I think they are saying that there is A-grade evidence that nondiabetic individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular disease benefit from low limits of saturated fat (because of the lowering of LDL and yadda yadda). Quite possibly they are adopting the rating straight from the AHA's rating of a study or group of studies? I'm not really interested digging around in the AHA info just for purposes of this discussion, though, especially considering that I'm not interested in defending the ADA's dietary stuff in the first place.

I get the idea that you feel the ADA and/or AHA is inconsistently applying their evidence standards. Proving that would take a very major meta-analysis effort. Is that the kind of thing you're working on, with all the data you've assembled?

In any case, again, we're talking about wanting the ADA to look again at lower carb than what they recommend, and I totally agree. I just don't see anyone providing the least bit of proof that they are presenting false information to please their sponsors.

Last edited by ysabella : Sun, Sep-03-06 at 03:06. Reason: because I lost half a sentence somehow ARGH
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 02:52
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Oh, so you think I'm a cherry-picker? LOL

Nope, sorry to disappoint - the citations are positive, neutral and negative for findings.

See, that's the thing with evidence-based medicine standards - you take the good and the bad and take it all to review and weigh it all in coming to a determination. You don't just pick one or two that support your postion - you take them all and see what happens when they're all considered.
Actually, I think we had a simple misunderstanding. Let's review.

You said: "...there is LONG-TERM DATA......and it clearly points to carbohydrate restriction."

I said: "What long-term data are you referring to? Where is the data on low-carb diets that goes back decades? Do you mean patients of Dr.Bernstein (et al.)? Have epidemiological studies been done on them?"

Thing is, I thought you meant "there are specific long-term studies on carbohydrate restriction that clearly point to using it for diabetes patients." But you meant something more like "all of the years of dietary studies that focus on carbohydrates cumulatively point to carb restriction for diabetes patients."

I suppose it came off as if I was asking you to 'cherry-pick,' then. If that's bad manners, I apologize.

Quote:
If you're firmly of the belief that elevating lipids is hazardous in and of itself and don't look beyond a number, to perhaps the particle size changes, TC:HDL ratios, triglycerides, etc., then you're stuck in the diet-heart hypothesis and unable to open up the question "is this really an increased risk when all other factors are improving?"
For some patients, though, it could be a 'hazard' as they say. Just yet another factor.

Quote:
Every last one of them? Nope.....but most of them, yes - a good number are references in my dissertation. And "remote" foreign journals are available at medical school and research university libraries with translation into english if needed.
I figured you had read all that stuff, but when I looked those up and found they were extremely hard to find, it just didn't seem as likely. I also figured if you had the translated text handy, you might be willing to share it. I mean, I've spent a lot of time on this thread, in a good-faith effort to understand the points being made, but I can't commit the kind of time it takes to visit some research libraries just for an online discussion at the moment.

Quote:
You biggest mistake - going by just the abstract....far too often the abstract is out-of-synch with the data within the full-text. I've seen it way too often and never, ever go by just an abstract (even if it's positive) these days!
I picked twelve things. I could have ignored the one that I only had the abstract for, but I figured clearly labeling it was enough.

Quote:
Lastly, my position isn't "pro low-carb" --- it's pro-science....right now the science is pointing toward carbohydrate restriction (which isn't always as low as, say, Atkins) and while you maintain that because the ADA publishes studies and abstracts in their journals, they're not "withholding" the information.....on one level you're right, but on another you're wrong......they have a duty and obligation to disclose it beyond their journals (which are paid access) to the public and healthcare providers in their position statements accurately.
The two things I linked to weren't just in their journal, but specifically mentioned on their free web site.
The old pricey journal paradigm may be shifting towards a more open-source system, which is great. But interpreting the studies is still an important service the ADA should perform - I agree. Although they can hardly present everything.

Quote:
As it is now, they're taking the position that even though the data is strong and suggestive of benefit, no one is going to do it anyway, therefore they are not going to make a recommendation for it.
Isn't there some data that shows people stay on more moderate diets longer? So they may have a point.

Quote:
That's disingenous and dangerous - with patients out there on medications who may decide to do low-carb on their own with little or no guidance or monitoring it is a disaster in the making. Physicians need a clear guideline that takes them through the dietary approach, the medication reductions, the monitoring involved and what to watch for along the way.
I can't really agree with that. Diabetes patients on medication may also be convinced by a chiropractor that adjusting their subluxations has cured them, go off their meds, and start drinking three Frappuccinos a day. The ADA doesn't tell them not to.

Quote:
By not taking this critical step, the ADA is setting the stage for a potential train-wreck that can be prevented by simply documenting the protocol. They're also leaving themselves open to huge liability issues in the future, as more data emerges and someone with diabetes is told, in no uncertain terms, the ADA says not to do low-carb.....and they don't.....they follow the ADA recommendations and lose an arm or a leg.....and then find out they might have had a different outcome IF their healthcare team were given another option.
I'd like to see them produce a protocol, too, for something lower than 130g/day but higher than 60g/day. Hopefully it's just a matter of time and maybe some more data.

Incidentally, couldn't they genuinely have come to a different conclusion from yours (and mine, but mine is based on less)? I know you've looked into how they rate evidence, but it is a very large pool of data we're talking about.

Liability is an interesting point. I almost wonder if it is working against progress here - the country is WAY more litigous now than it was in the 1980s when these recommendations started. A major reversal in favor of lower carb and higher fat...I wonder if that would seem to expose them to lawsuits?

Quote:
It's a balancing act - what do you recommend, what do you say to avoid.....what to issue cautionous guidelines for......it is this last one, cautious guideline that is what the ADA needs to be doing and they're not.
I would be happy to see the ADA come out with some low-carb recommendations, as in below 130g/day, and I think it would be a responsible thing to do.
I'm just not interested in claims they are selling out, corrupt, criminal, etc. without some real evidence that it's true. The fact people on this thread don't like the macronutrient ratio the ADA recommends and don't like their sponsors either doesn't mean their sponsors are dictating the diet they recommend.

Last edited by ysabella : Sun, Sep-03-06 at 03:21.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 03:51
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
I think that your comment is on track. I know I am not competent to read much more than the abstracts. BUT as the following entries in Dr. Mike Eades blog indicate, the abstracts are often written to "pass the censors" and do NOT truly reflect the data in the study.
Actually, not just the abstracts. He goes much farther than that.

Here he is talking about problems with the peer review system:
Quote:
"Since starting this blog I've posted a few times (here, here, and here) on the credibility or lack thereof in medical and scientific journal articles. Today's New York Times features a long article on this very subject that is well worth reading in its entirety. It's one of the few articles from the New York Times with which I agree completely. (...) I posted earlier about how many medical journals had become publishing arms of the pharmaceutical industry.
All the above makes me look at each article I see with a jaundiced eye and makes me pour over the thing hypercritically. I read scientific/medical articles constantly, and I can tell you, well written, well argued papers that include decent, statistically relavent data are scarce as hen's teeth. This terrific New York Times piece tells us why.

Here he talks about reporting bias:
Quote:
An informative article appeared in the current issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. The gist of the paper is that many so-called "proven" prognosticators are much less reliable than the experts would have us believe thanks to reporting bias. (...) Remember this article the next time someone touts you on the idea that the Lipid Hypothesis has been proven.

Here he talks about how drug-company funding twists studies:
Quote:
How do researchers get away with publishing only data that is favorable to the drug company paying for it? Are the results paid for, as in bribed? Not really, it’s all in how the research question is posed. (...)
The information printed in this article, which is open source and can be read in full online, is, I believe, fairly well know among academics, but never talked about. I’m surprised that it has been published at all.
Because this ability to influence outcomes of research projects and then get them published in prestigious journals, it pays to look at the bottom of the paper to see who paid for the research; if it happens to be the same company whose drug or other product is featured in the paper, the findings are best taken with a grain of salt.

Here he is agreeing that most current published studies are false (I included what he's quoting this time, also):
Quote:
Hard on the heels of my dissection of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition paper in my previous post, I came upon an article in PLoS, a free access journal, that should be required reading for every publisher and every reader of scientific articles.
Although this paper can be downloaded in full by anyone, because I think this paper is so important, I'm going to include the entire Abstract in this post.
There is increasing concern that most current published research findings are false. The probability that a research claim is true may depend on study power and bias, the number of other studies on the same question, and, importantly, the ratio of true to no relationships among the relationships probed in each scientific field. In this framework, a research finding is less likely to be true when the studies conducted in a field are smaller; when effect sizes are smaller; when there is a greater number and lesser preselection of tested relationships; where there is greater flexibility in designs, definitions, outcomes, and analytical modes; when there is greater financial and other interest and prejudice; and when more teams are involved in a scientific field in chase of statistical significance. Simulations show that for most study designs and settings, it is more likely for a research claim to be false than true. Moreover, for many current scientific fields, claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias. [my italics] In this essay, I discuss the implications of these problems for the conduct and interpretation of research.
Anyone truly interested should read the entire paper. It has some statistical math sprinkled throughout that might seen a little foreboding to the non-mathematically incline, but skip over them and just read the text because the math doesn't detract from the message of the author.
Remember this paper the next time someone tries to prove something to you by the findings in a single (or even several) study. As I pointed out in my previous post, scientific studies should be read thoroughly and critically; this paper shows why.

Here he discusses a pretty bad study result:
Quote:
Critically reading a scientific paper is a piece of detective work. One has to discover motives, obfuscations, biases, and sloppy work and put it all together to get the real picture, not just the picture the author of the paper wants to be seen. Just like a good detective who assumes everyone is lying until stories are corroborated, so it is with the scientific literature. One must always corroborate, probe, compare and dig deeply because almost nothing is as it appears on the surface. As Sherlock Holmes says, "These are very deep waters."? In the case of the study we will in due course explore, the waters are very deep indeed.

Here, he explains how the authors of another study are either ignorant of how the statistics work, or dishonest:
Quote:
In this case since the first number is less than 1, indicating that the risk ratio is meaningless and can be ignored. What it means in this specific case is that it makes no difference whether or not you're overweight early in life as long as your other risk factors (as identified by the researchers in this study) are normal in terms of your risk of dying of heart disease later in life. Not the 43 percent that the authors and the press that picked the story up proclaimed. Too bad the authors and all the medical press people weren't a little more statistically honest.
But to tell you the truth, I suspect that the authors of this paper (and I know that the medical writers) don't have the same understanding of the confidence limits and what they really mean that you do after reading this post. Most researchers run their data through a computerized statistical program and simply look at the risk ratio (the 1.43 in this case) without really having a clue what the numbers inside the parenthesis mean.

Quote:
They do both make the point about how critical reading of studies is crucial. Although Dr.Eades makes you wonder if there are any reliable studies at all, to read!
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 11:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

What's your point, Ysabella? Is it that we should be nicer to the ADA because they're doing the best they can? Regina has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that the science behind carbohydrate restriction is very clear. To be most charitable to the ADA is to understand that there is a paradigm shift going on in medical science that is killing off the lipid hypothesis. As in all paradigm shifts, many will cling to the weakening paradigm as long as possible because something in that paradigm supports what people need to believe about themselves.

When you suggest that Mike Eades work makes you wonder whether ther are any reliable studies at all, the answer is that looking at those studies from the point of view of the new paradigm reveals the flaws caused by the old paradigm biases. But good science is uncovering the flaws, not simply adherence to a new paradigm. The fact that good science supports the new paradigm shows that we are moving in the right direction.

One need not allege a conspiracy between the ADA and the drug companies to understand the ADA as a bad actor. The informational environment within which people make choices about diet and treatment is corrupt. The ADA is a player in causing and maintaining that corruption. The consequences of that corruption is that people are being denied information that could save their lives.

The victory of a new paradigm is not automatic. It must be struggled for by those who have come to understand it. Taking on the ADA of any other institution that supports the lipid hyothesis could be a part of that struggle.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 18:18
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Ysabella:

With all the rambling I can't stay clear what you disagree with.

Are you saying that low carbing does not work?

Are you saying that low carb patients have not been studied for decades?

Are you saying that the average person on a low carb diet lipid profiles are not better than a regular diet?

Are you saying that the ADA, FDA, AMA, etc are telling people to switch to the low carb diet?
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 22:18

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:

Quote:
I can't really agree with that.

You doubt the power of LC?

Diabetics who begin induction level LC had better modify their medication dosages the day they start.

Unfortunately many physicians aren't aware of this, and the ADA might look into it, if they had diabetic patients' best interests at heart.