Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 19:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 263.6/242.0/163.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

OK, I stole this off of a website. So look towards the middle at the parts I underlined and see if this sounds like you. Then get the book.
The Atkins diet is not a new phenomenon. The diet first appeared in the late 1970s and has grown popularity in recent years in response to the low-fat diet craze. As dieters had trouble with low-fat plans, they searched for a new solution and Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution book found a new audience.

A lot of people have jumped on the Atkins bandwagon and there has been a lot of hype as a result. But what are the basic principles of the Atkins diet?

The Atkins diet is based on a theory of why we get fat. According to Dr. Atkins, the over-consumption of carbohydrates and simple sugars leads to weight gain. The way your body processes the carbohydrates you eat have more to do with your waistline than the amount of fat or calories that you consume. In his book, Atkins outlines a phenomenon called “insulin resistance.” He theorizes that many overweight people have cells that do not work correctly.

When you eat excess carbohydrates and sugar, your body notices that sugar levels are elevated. Insulin is released from the pancreas in order to store sugar as glycogen in the liver and muscle cells for extra energy later on. However, your body can only store so much glycogen at once. As soon as your body reaches its limit for glycogen storage, the excess carbohydrates are stored as fat. This happens to everyone who eats too many carbohydrates.

However, insulin resistant individuals have an even harder time of using and storing excess carbohydrates. The more insulin that your body is exposed to, the more resistant it becomes. Overtime, the pancreas releases more insulin and cells become insulin resistant. The cells are trying to protect themselves from the toxic effects of high insulin. They create less glycogen and more fat.

As a result, insulin resistant individuals gain extra weight. The carbohydrates get converted into fat instead of energy. Other side effects include fatigue, brain “fog” (the inability to focus, poor memory, loss of creativity), low blood sugar (which can leads to hypoglycemia), intestinal bloating, sleepiness, depression and increased blood sugar. There is much more than weight at stake when you are insulin resistant.The remedy for people who are insulin resistant is a diet restricted in carbohydrates. The crux of the Atkins diet is a limitation of carbohydrates in all of its forms. The foods restricted on the Atkins plan include simple sugars (like cookies, sodas and sweets) and complex carbohydrates (like bread, rice and grains). Even carbohydrates that are considered healthy, such as oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat bread, are restricted on the program.

The diet has you restrict your carbohydrate intake to less than 40 grams a day. This will put your body in a state of ketosis. While in ketosis, your body will burn fat as fuel. According to Dr. Atkins’ research, the ketosis state will also affect insulin production and it will prevent more fat from being formed. Your body will begin using your stored fat as an efficient form of fuel, and you’ll lose weight.
Another benefit of the Atkins plan is that ketosis will end your cravings for carbohydrates. If you’ve been living on a carb-heavy diet, you may have found that you simply cannot get enough carbohydrates. With carbohydrate restriction and ketosis comes a reduction in carbohydrate cravings. People who have been on the Atkins diet for some time report that they do not crave carbohydrates as they once did.

Although the initial phases of the Atkins diet are rather strict, the program teaches you to restore balance to your diet in the long run. People who use the diet slowly reintroduce minimal amounts of carbohydrate into their eating until they find a comfortable balance between their health and carbohydrate use.

The basic principles of the Atkins diet have been adapted to many other low-carb diet plans. However, Atkins popularity still remains strong as one of the most effective low-carbohydrate solutions for those who are insulin resistant.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 19:37

Plan: hcg
Stats: 180/154.0/139 Female 5 7'
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good luck Startnova, sounds like you have a busy night/morning coming up. I looked on the forum today but couldn't find anything of Insulin resistance. Thanks for the help. I still haven't recieved the book.

Not sure what the rules are here but I like knowing a little more about you guys. Work, school, kids etc. I have a 14 and 15 year old myself.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 19:41

BF:

WOW, thanks. Yes, that does fit me. I'll have to go to the book store if my Amazon order doesn't get here. I need to figure out how to get this party started. I'm having less then 15 grams of carbs right now and Nothing! I know, I know stay off the scale.....how about baby steps and I'll just weigh in once a day. Funny you won't get on the scale and I won't get off!
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 20:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleygirl
WOW, thanks. Yes, that does fit me. I'll have to go to the book store if my Amazon order doesn't get here. I need to figure out how to get this party started. I'm having less then 15 grams of carbs right now and Nothing! I know, I know stay off the scale.....how about baby steps and I'll just weigh in once a day. Funny you won't get on the scale and I won't get off!

I know right! LOL!!! Get off that darn scale kellygirl. Plus, think, it will be so much more rewarding if you wait until say Sunday to get on, maybe every Sunday morning, and see a bigger number difference than just one pound here and there. Right? Ok, maybe we have to meet at the computer and weigh together. Hmmm...that's a good idea. We all meet and weigh at the same time during the week.

Ok, so I have a 16 year old son. He just started driving and is driving me crazyyyyyyyy wanting to ride around with his friends in MY car. He's a pretty good kid though. This age is just interesting. Boys. sigh. I have been dating a really nice guy for almost two years. I am in school again. Can't believe that. I love long walks on the beach, just joking. Well, I do really. I read a lot of fiction and personal growth, and the like. How about you?
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 21:15

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 197/188/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Kelley - I am most definitely a stress eater. I've also started back on the Depo shot which totally messes up my appetite. I think I've had enough of them to level that part off, though.

My husband cooks and is supportive for about a week. He is making it easier for me for a little longer this time, except for ordering pizza last night because we both got caught up in work and didn't have time for anything before I went to pick up our daughter from daycare. We're doing a lot of BBQ, but I think my mainstays are going to get boring for them before I've lost enough... lol

I'm also obsessive about the scale and the sticks. I seem to think less about food, though, when I'm on the scale. I did put down a handful of goldfish the other day because I didn't want the stick to back to none, so there is a little motivation in there for me.

Some of the treats I made to get me through really stressful and/or hormonal times are super high fat and I don't want my daughter eating them, so I am starting to feel a bit 'deprived', which I didn't the first time.

I am doing more exercising than last time now that we have a treadmill in the house. But still not terribly consistent with it. Or yoga. God, I can't wait until she starts sleeping through the night, every night... lol

I have a friend who's done Atkins a few times and still has a few pounds left to lose, so I'll try to use her as support. We finally live fairly close to each other, but now both have kids and no time. Ugh.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 21:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/239/240 Male 6'5''
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Good luck Startnova, sounds like you have a busy night/morning coming up. I looked on the forum today but couldn't find anything of Insulin resistance. Thanks for the help. I still haven't recieved the book.

Not sure what the rules are here but I like knowing a little more about you guys. Work, school, kids etc. I have a 14 and 15 year old myself.

I go to school, switched my mind three times. First went to University for Psychology(not my thing), then switched to a particular History(a total bore), now I'm upgrading my french and English to become a teacher and also taking up business!

I'm more of a ''hippie'' in a sense that I do not like today's technology. We're in 2011 now and I texted for the first time this year. I refuse to join facebook.. I'm so old fashioned. LOL Gosh I miss the 80's.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 07:22

BF:

LC Justin I am totally a child of the 80s! I still love Barbie dolls, I love 80s rock, and I even still watch cartoons. I have to have like the Flinstones playing in the background when I'm feeling off. The Yabba Dabba Do cheers me up. LOL!!
I hate Facebook. I had one and got rid of it. People treat FB like a job, they are on it night and day. I'm like, really? Plus, it messes up relationships. I never want another partner who is so wrapped up in social networking, so I can't be either. Be that which you seek right?

You know what else I'm thinking PS90X. I have had it for years and never used it. 90 days will be around summer. Perfect timing. What about you Justin?

Laura203, emotions emotions emotions. They get me everytime. And, I have set so many bad habits for my kid. He has my body issues and weight issues. It bothers me, too. They definitely do as we do and not as we say.

kelley, I thought of something? Is 15 carbs too low? How many are veggies? Gotta be an adjustment somewhere.

Ok, back to my test WHICH I put off last night and now have to do this morning ALL OF IT. ugh. Pray for me.

It looks like we all have treadmills at home. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 11:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by startinova
LC Justin I am totally a child of the 80s! I still love Barbie dolls, I love 80s rock, and I even still watch cartoons. I have to have like the Flinstones playing in the background when I'm feeling off. The Yabba Dabba Do cheers me up. LOL!!
I hate Facebook. I had one and got rid of it. People treat FB like a job, they are on it night and day. I'm like, really? Plus, it messes up relationships. I never want another partner who is so wrapped up in social networking, so I can't be either. Be that which you seek right?

You know what else I'm thinking PS90X. I have had it for years and never used it. 90 days will be around summer. Perfect timing. What about you Justin?

Laura203, emotions emotions emotions. They get me everytime. And, I have set so many bad habits for my kid. He has my body issues and weight issues. It bothers me, too. They definitely do as we do and not as we say.

kelley, I thought of something? Is 15 carbs too low? How many are veggies? Gotta be an adjustment somewhere.

Ok, back to my test WHICH I put off last night and now have to do this morning ALL OF IT. ugh. Pray for me.

It looks like we all have treadmills at home. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That's what I usualy go for, I try not to get more than 15g of carbs per day. Last night on the treadmill on full incline I was able to last 5 minutes more than usual which made me happy!

I'm forcing myself not to weigh everyday but it's hard to keep off the scale. I am however measuring my waist every 2 days and it's slowly meting away!

Oh, the 80's cartoons, love 'em. lol Heck, I can't even count how many times I watched movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Breakfast Club. LOL I LOVE 80's rock as well, can't listen to any of today's music.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 11:12

BF:

It's great to get to know a little about you guys. I love the 80's too but sounds like I'm a little older then you. 80's was my teen years and man could I do big hair!

Justin, It doesn't matter what you go to school for as long as you go. You've got a long life in front of you so find something you enjoy. My kids will be picking out colleges soon but how do you know what you want to be when you've never experienced most careers. Startinova looks like your starting over in more then one area of your life. New relationship and back to school. Good for you. I'm jealous ( I'd like to do both LOL ).

As I mentioned before I have a 14 and 15 year old. I always worried that my daughter would pick up my body issue thing but it's actually my son. I worry for him he's so shy. Startinova, My daughter will turn 16 this summer. Scared to death of the driving thing!!!! One a positive note she will be able to drive!! She had a really bad fall a few months ago. She broke her back in two places and crushed a vertibrae as well as nerve damage to her feet. I won't get preachy but I will tell you I thank God everyday ( or at least I should). She's finally back to school.

Laura it sounds like you have a little one. Not easy when you don't get much sleep is it? Plus those kiddie snacks are around like Gold fish, Oh I would love a handfull of gold fish right now LOL

I love the weigh in day idea. I am so OCD when it comes to the scale. I need to change that but easier said then done.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 11:19

BF:

I'm in induction phase one so I'm not suppose to eat more then 20 grams of carbs the first two weeks. It would be easier to do if I got some sort of reward for it... LIKE LOSE A FRIGGIN POUND!. Geez I gave up my wine and everything LOL. I must be close to two weeks. I'll have to check my start date. I am thinking glass half full. I've been walking 4 miles a day plus doing the stair machine and lifting weights 3-4 times a week. Maybe it's muscle. Please be just muscle!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 11:21

BF:

OOPS, forgot to say GOOD LUCK on your test Startinova!
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 12:03

BF:

Quote:
It's great to get to know a little about you guys. I love the 80's too but sounds like I'm a little older then you. 80's was my teen years and man could I do big hair!

Justin, It doesn't matter what you go to school for as long as you go. You've got a long life in front of you so find something you enjoy. My kids will be picking out colleges soon but how do you know what you want to be when you've never experienced most careers. Startinova looks like your starting over in more then one area of your life. New relationship and back to school. Good for you. I'm jealous ( I'd like to do both LOL ).

I wasn't in my teens but I do remember the decade well.
Actually, I pretty much know what I want to do now, I was sick for almost 5 years which stalled my life greatly. I had many years to think what I want to do. I'm currently improving and working on three languages; first being my french, second english and third being Japanese for international business.

I'm thinking of getting one of those spinning bikes so that I can workout more at home since I like working out alone. If not, might as well put my car in neutral and push it to town myself. LOL
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 12:34

BF:

Justin, I hope you have concord your ailment and glad to see you postive about your future. If I could do it all over again what would I be when I grew up??? For one thing I would have learned a second language. I just purchased a book and DVD to learn Spanish. I'm not doing so well. To think that you're working on three. If I could do it all over again I would do interantional travel.

You like working out alone? I need to talk to someone. Bet you couldn't tell with me being so shy on this site and all LOL. I wouldn't leave the poor guy next to me on the stair machine alone. He finally gave up and took his ear plugs out. It just seems to make the time go faster. I've never tried a spinn class. I don't know if my legs are strong enough for a bike.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 13:00

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Can I jump in? short story I did LC 3yrs ago lost 51lbs and fast forward to today and some life stressors/health issues/death (even thou it's not an excuse but I'm a total stress eater) I'm up 57lbs!! But I re-started Tues this week and I've lost 7 lbs- yeah I know water weight but it gets me energized.

It's hard to switch gears back to LC but it's an easy plan to follow and my body responds best to it.

Background: I have a 21yr daughter that found out it's not too easy living on her own with school loans/car payment/rent so is back in the nest - a 17yo son and a 11 yo daughter and a wonderful hubby of 29yrs.

I have also started back on my treadmill - seems I can only do about 40min right now but I know as the weight comes off it'll get easier.

Nice to get to know you and hope I can be of support and get support as I always feel like a rat on a wheel with my weight - I lose about 30lbs start to feel great and well fall off the wagon - I'm hoping this time to stay on for the long haul

(yeah I have to change my stats UGH!!)
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 14:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
Can I jump in? short story I did LC 3yrs ago lost 51lbs and fast forward to today and some life stressors/health issues/death (even thou it's not an excuse but I'm a total stress eater) I'm up 57lbs!! But I re-started Tues this week and I've lost 7 lbs- yeah I know water weight but it gets me energized.

It's hard to switch gears back to LC but it's an easy plan to follow and my body responds best to it.

Background: I have a 21yr daughter that found out it's not too easy living on her own with school loans/car payment/rent so is back in the nest - a 17yo son and a 11 yo daughter and a wonderful hubby of 29yrs.

I have also started back on my treadmill - seems I can only do about 40min right now but I know as the weight comes off it'll get easier.

Nice to get to know you and hope I can be of support and get support as I always feel like a rat on a wheel with my weight - I lose about 30lbs start to feel great and well fall off the wagon - I'm hoping this time to stay on for the long haul

(yeah I have to change my stats UGH!!)

Welcome! It's hard to stay on LC once we fall off the wagon, been there done that so many times. This time I will not quit! Lost 27lbs so far in 3 weeks
Closed Thread