Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 16:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

In my neighborhood we have a grocery store deli that sells "cheese chunks" - the ends of the cheese that cannot be sliced anymore. Since we are regulars and the deli girls know us very well, they will save the cheese ends just for us and we pick them up every couple of days or so. The price is really cheap and we get about every variety of cheese that is sold in a lunchmeat/cheese deli counter! If you frequent a Kowalski lunchmeat/cheese deli-type place, maybe you can ask them to save you the "cheese chunks" too!

Anyway, what I do is drop these cheese chunks in a fry pan (if it is a large chunk I will halve or quarter) and cook until the edges start to brown. Then I flip over with a spatula and cook on the other side for another minute or so. When finished, pat with paper towel to get excess grease and let them cool down. It is much faster than the oven and will brown the edges where a microwave can't.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:09
Registered Member

Stats: 215/198/125
BF:44
Progress: 19%
Default I love you guys:)

Can't wait to try these. Doing it as soon as walk in the door tonight
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 22:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

those do sound good. I am having a hard time picturing them as a substitute for a tortilla. Guess I'll never know til I try it! LOL
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 07:47

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

I introduced the american cheese type crackers to my support group. They were a big hit, everybody is eating these now. I also made a ham and crunchy cheese sandwich with mayo using two of the crackers. A little messy, but good.

Last edited by KTiki : Sat, Feb-08-03 at 07:49.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 18:39

Stats: 162/155/128 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Cheese cracker dip

I mixed 8oz. of cream cheese with chopped stuffed green olives and enough mayo to make it spread and it was out of this world on the cheese crackers. Also, makes great ham rolls.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 20:17

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Talking Cheese "crackers"

I found this same "recipe" on another website somewhere and have been turning everyone on to them. I have been using the Kraft Delux american cheese. I have these Dupont "No Stick" baking liners - they are Telfon "Silverstone" coated foil sheets designed to be used as cake pan and cookie sheet liners that are completely non stick and can be used hundreds of times. You can even put them in a frying pay and cook on the stove with them. I did some research and you can buy them from several places on line. I also read that fabric/quilt shops sell this same material for pressing cloth. They are microwave save and work great for these cheese crackers.

My husband and I use whole american cheese slices for bread although it is a little easier to eat if you cut the slices in half before you microwave them. I also will cook a whole slice of cheese and bend it while it is still hot to form a "hotdog roll" or taco shell. Shorten the microwave time a bit so they are not a crumbly when you bite into it.

We also like them cracker size with Salsa - two slices of cheese makes 8 crackers - satisfying enough for a light lunch or heave snack.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 22:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

Oh my!

I tried these yesterday, and they are awesome!

I took them to work with me today and my co-worker tried to take them from me! I had to slap her hand and tell her to get her own! LOL

I like the idea of using them for sandwiches and crackers and such for dips! This is a wonderful idea.

I think tomorrow I'm going to try queso cheese (that WONderful white cheese they use for dip at the Mexican restaurant) and see what happens. I'll let you guys know.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:42

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I wonder why it is that cheddar exudes so much oil and shredded parmesan so little? Interesting.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 19:04

BF:

Hi Jeanyyy,
Parmesan is a lower fat hard cheese, usually made with skim or part skim milk. Chedder is higher in fat and so it produces more oil when melted. Hope you are enjoying the cheese crisps, have you tried the one made with processed American cheese? It comes out more like a big cracker than a thin crisp.
Kathy
  #70   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 19:13

BF:

Hmmm, no.. cos I don't know what American cheese IS!! lol I'm Canadian - can you explain what it is? Is it a processed cheese food type, like Velvetta or Kraft singles?
  #71   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 19:34

BF:

Hi Jeany,
Yes, Kraft singles (and those like it ) is what I'm talking about. Open one and break it in half, put one half on top of the other and place it leangthwise on the plastic it was wrapped in. Microwave it for about a minute on high....might need to adjust a few seconds. It comes out like a big cracker....crispy as it cools. Just pull it off the plastic so there are no dishes to wash.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 00:00

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%

I just made one with a velveta slice and its awesome. It dried instantly. Its so crispy too. I wish I knew this sooner. Thanks guys/gals!
  #73   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 01:04

BF:

Ohhh I'll have to try those!!! Thanks!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 06:34

Stats: 173/158/130
BF:
Progress: 35%

I've been doing this for almost my whole induction. Shredded parmesan works the best for me. I load it up with tuna or egg salad when it's cooled. It just like a wrap. The other day my husband, daughter and I were at a cheese shop (imagine that in Wisconsin- haha) and they were selling these crunchy things that looked like chips. They turned out to be baked chuncks of cheese that looked really crunchy and yummy. They were super expensive so I didn't buy them. I knew someone here would know how to do it. I'm going to try it today. Thanks!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:21

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I make reggiano parmesan "crisps" a lot. I saw this recipe in the newspaper and these things are heaven.

Grate parmesan on a baking sheet, just letting it fall into a pyramid in the middle of the sheet. Then separate the pyriamid with a spatula into 6-8 separate little piles. Bake at 325 for about 3 minutes. They will be very thin, but you can get them off with a thin spatula and they are from HEAVEN!!!