Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 12:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have to be SOoooOOO careful with booze any more. Ever since I started low carbing I can't handle it and end up waking up sick as a dog at 3:00 am. Ugh!

Now I've had to give up beer because I am on a gluten-free diet. Beer I could handle much better than wine.

I think a single glass of wine is about all I can handle.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 05:57
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poirot
I downloaded Lyle McDonald's UD2.0 and have been reading it for the last couple of days. There's a lot to digest here. I am trying to work out the fat/carb/protein numbers and plan a baseline meal to see what it would look like. Although I have not been counting protein, my guesstimate looks like I need to eat twice as much as I have been on my low carb days (UD 2.0 is carb cycling) Have any of you drastically increased protein intake and if so have you had any problems with digestive/kidney functions?
Just a bit intimidated....
Thanks in advance.

Can't remember who it was, but someone made a spreadsheet for PSMF for us to work with our calories and protein. I haven't used mine in quite sometime, but I have it if you want a copy of it. She even put directions on it.

Protein is the magic word here. Keep your protein simple, abundant, and low fat and you can sail through this without feeling deprived. Anything that goes in the mouth should be followed by an abundance of water to wash the kidney's and liver, stomach..... I keep a gallon jug of water, on my kitchen counter (I work from home). I don't go to bed until that jug of water is gone. And the bulk of that water is consumed between breakfast and mid afternoon. And since you don't have to count your veggies, OD on them. It's so easy! Make a rattoutie (?), vegetable lasagna with FF cheeses, FF marinara's are so easy, gazpacho's, GREAT big vegetable marinara for spaghetti squash, or to top broiled eggplant, steam a ton of veggies and use a low fat (I LOVE Newman's Own brands) dressing, brussel sprouts marinated in LF Italian dressing in a big baggie. Point is..... eat so many veggies, fill your stomach up with all kinds of nice raw veggie salads and caesar salads and greek salads, that you won't even think of binging on something that isn't on plan.... That's how easy this program is!!!!!! But if you drink (Like my partner and I like to do) you're going to have a little problem!!
(Just my 5 cents)

whew... that was a mouthful
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 12:35

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I'm back!! and back up to 271 Not real happy about that, but it will be gone by the time I leave for NC again next week I HAVE to figure out a way to not gain weight while I'm on the road. This every other week travel schedule is likely to keep up through the end of the year. I don't want to keep fooling around losing 5 and gaining it back and losing it again.

I guess I just have to be open to the idea of packing my psmf stuff with me. No way can I get enough protein or veggies eating at the hotel restraunt. They're extra serving of veggies was 8 tiny aspargus spears.

Alright...got my thinking cap on now... have to figure this out. I want to be under 240 by Christmas!
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 15:56
Experimenter

BF:

How about just going low carb when you're traveling? Try to keep the fat down as much as possible?
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 16:13
Registered Member

Hey Cindy, you were missed.

What about just putting yourself into the mindset that "food is strictly fuel," and only order vegetarian plates with maybe a boring grilled chix, or steak?
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 19:05

Thanks Nancy and PG Thats kind of what I tried. I followed an Atkins menu while I was gone and came home with 3 extra lbs. A day of whatever eating and I added another one.

I think I'm gonna try a lower fat version and bring some protien shakes to help kill the hunger. Isn't that funny... I was SO HUNGRY doing Atkins. I am also pretty sure I'll be taking tuna packs with me. I guess it wouldn't kill me to order a grilled chicken salad and then have some tuna too. Now that really would be a food as fuel dinner
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 19:24
Registered Member

Nancy and I made soup today.

I made a big pot of cream of broccoli soup, to which I added a dollop of FF sour cream to each bowl... My daughter said to me, "This is 4 servings of veggies, huh Mom?" you betcha! Barely a hint of fat.

I'm still negotiating 4 heads of lettuce!

I roasted two bulbs of garlic in the toaster oven, and we all smeared garlic all over our steaks tonight.. Is that another serving of veggies, you think?

Y'know.. my son doesn't complain about the food I prepare. It's obviously tasty enough that he eats it, and is happy. I doubt he notices the lack of fat in our diet. (which is a good thing)

Nancy, I have a bowl muffin on my mind tonight for dessert... shame on me.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 21:33
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I got you hooked, huh? Well, have one for me. I still haven't perfected the non-gluten bowl muffin. Besides, I've transferred my affections to lemon curd and low-fat ricotta cheese. *swoon*

I made an enormous thing of Pumpkin Sausage Soup. Recipe is in the low-cal low carb recipe thread. I think it might be the best soup I've ever made.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 07:25
Registered Member

I'm going to make your soup, Monday.
We have enough Cream of Broccoli leftover, for lunch today.

Didn't cave in to the bowl muffin last night, but decided it would make a nice breakfast, this morning. Bummer is, I ran out of apple butter, which I liked, smeared on the last muffin I made.

Does anyone else feel deprived, not cooking, or injesting fat?
Both my kids have not mentioned that my food quality has gone downhill. They both are ever ready, to scarf down my food. And you know how fussy kids can be...
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 07:56
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

Not any longer, but I'm not 100% pure either. I think I used 1 tsp of butter in my pumpkin soup and I still use whole eggs.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

I'm having Pumpkin Sausage soup for breakfast today. OMG! Its fantastic.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 10:23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm having Pumpkin Sausage soup for breakfast today. OMG! Its fantastic.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I had a bowl muffin this morning, and it was exquisite!

I also made my own fruit puree for smearing those little critters with.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 10:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Not any longer, but I'm not 100% pure either. I think I used 1 tsp of butter in my pumpkin soup and I still use whole eggs.

I don't have any butter/margarine in the house, but I use olive oil from time to time, and I use eggstirs (these are fat free) mixed with an egg sometimes.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal

Nope... but I wasn't much of a cook before I just changed the menu from steak to chicken. The steamed veggies are the same, just sans butter. I did have to resort to the fake butter spray.

Obviously I'm not a gourment chef here! I save my real talent for finding good wines
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 10:45

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Cindy! I haven't posted in this thread before, although I read it every day. (I'm not PSMF'ing.) What you were lamenting--about not being able to get the meals you need while traveling--led me to want to post my thoughts on your dilemma.

I take it that you're having trouble getting the kinds of meals you'd like from hotel room service, or in the hotel dining room, or while you're out on the job; is that correct?

Well, I was just wondering...even if these cities you're in are unfamiliar to you, couldn't you find out in advance--through Internet research or by calling the hotel--what "appropriate" restaurants exist nearby--seafood, Japanese, Chinese, "health food type," whatever--that would deliver to the hotel? I have to believe that there would be many, and an Internet Yellow Pages listing (by restaurant type) would reveal this. Then a quick call ahead of time to the restaurant would confirm that they deliver (and, of course, that they make what you need--for instance, steamed chicken with vegetables for a Chinese restaurant; steamed fish with pickled veggies from Japanese; and so on). This would work for dinner, at least, I would hope/think.

I was also wondering--and this may sound odd, but I think it would work--whether or not an outlet like Fresh Direct or Pea Pod--one of those online order/delivery grocery places--would work. Most cities have at least one; and they would deliver to a hotel (they'll deliver anywhere in their vicinity). You could place an order (or two) in advance (before you leave your own home for the trip) and arrange for a delivery time, and have your meals that way. They have everything--hard-boiled eggs (you could use just the whites, if you wanted), NF cottage cheese, NF cheddar cheese, sliced turkey/ham (deli section); roast chicken; steamed or raw veggies...you name it, anything you'd buy from a regular grocery store they'd have. And they'll be happy to deliver each day you're at the hotel, if you like. You could even have the concierge accept the delivery and leave the food in your room if you want it there in advance (and are out at work at the time)--the stuff would keep for a several hours, if your room doesn't have a little fridge. Or, if you prefer, the hotel could keep your delivery in their kitchen fridge till you want the items.

I just had to post these thoughts, Cindy! I feel sure that one of these suggestions would help you with this dilemma--it's hard enough to stick to a regimen like PSMF without having outside stuff get in the way~

Good luck!

XXXXXXX