Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#586   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 22:51

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

week 6 day 5:

i just finished my workout and boy do i feel it tonight! yippeeeeeee! HEHEEEE...i esp felt those bent over rows nicely in my back tonight....very very kewl!

it was day 17 on ABBH...Chest/Back workout....80% load...10 sets of 5.

A1: barbell flat bench press: 89lbs
A2: dumbbell rows: 40lbs

alternate A1-A2 until all 10 sets of 5 are completed w/ 60 sec rest interval between each exercise.

the bench presses went great...89lbs is fairly easy for me now and the sets went by pretty fast....i have definitely improved in strength since i started this program! i cant wait to see how much i can really bench!! i am positive its over 100lbs now.
the dumbbell rows were also really nice...they were a little difficult at the end, but nothing extreme....form was great and movements were slow and steady.

i am so excited that this program is working for me!! too kewl!

B1: dumbbell flat bench press: 30lbs each
B2: barbell bent over rows: 94lbs

alternate B1-B2 until all 10 sets of 5 are completed w/ 60 sec rest intervals between each exericse.

wow...the dumbbell benches were SIMPLE...there wasnt one time that i didnt think i could get the reps in...easy easy! ( well not EASY, but you know...lol)
same goes for the bent over rows...last week i didnt think i would even get through all 10 sets of 4, but this week all 10 sets of 5 went really great! i used pronated grip on these and pulled the bar up to my chest and back down nice and slow.

i know ive said it several times tonight already but i am stronger! i FEEL stronger and all my lifts were a lot easier for me than last time with less reps! hehehee....this is very encouraging!

man i LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEE lifting!!!

have a great night all! we're fixin to go out and check out the sky for this Perseid meteor shower thats supposed to be going on tonight! neato! ill be back later or in the morning!

Last edited by pammiejoe6 : Sat, Aug-13-05 at 08:38.
Sponsored Links
  #587   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 08:39

BF:

week 6 day 6: HIIT completed!

have a said lately how freaking much i hate hate hateeeeeeeeee HIIT? but i did it and now its over with! yay!
  #588   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 18:03

BF:

week 6 day 7: rest/cheat day

week 7 day 1: rest day due to illness
  #589   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 14:56

BF:

week 7 day 2 : rest

week 7 day 3: BGB Day 1

ok..i restarted Baby Got Back...a great 4 day split that i have had fabulous success with in the past...i will do this a few months and then switch it up again...

heres the workout for today:

Baby Got Back:

Day 1: Horizontal Push/Pull:
Back/Chest:

Rack pulls: 6x4~200lbs
bent over rows: 6x4~100lbs ( first 3 pronated grip...last 3 suppinated grip)
dumbbell rows: 4x6~45lbs
flat barbell bench press: 2x4~110lbs, 4x4~105lbs
incline db bench press: 4x6~30lbs
db flyes: 4x5~20lbs

GREAT workout! it was really really good to get back to the rack pulls...ive missed them and boy did i feel em! heheeee....so niiiiice!
the bent over rows were good as well...i had forgotten how much harder the suppinated grip is compared to the pronated grip.
db rows were.....db rows....hahahaa...nuthin exciting there....
the bench presses were awesome! i decided to see how much my strength has improved from the 100lb bench i could do before doing the ABBh program and was pleased to be able to do those 2 sets of 4 at 110lbs! YEAH baby!! after the first 2 sets i was worried i might not be able to complete the next set without a spotter ( and we all know i do not have one here at home) so i lowered the weight by 5lbs and finished the last 4 sets at 105lbs no prollem! YIPPEEEE! i so love improving!
i had planned on using 35lb dumbbells for the incline bench press, but after those flat benches i was a little tired so i went with the 30lb dbs and man!! they were nice and challenging! amazing how much more difficult the inclines are from the flats isnt it?
last on the list for today were db flyes....these felt really good...man i really missed doing this routine...
i feel so super great after this workout!! tomorrow is quad dominant legs and i am really looking forward to it as well! it was really nice to be able to crank up my tunes and dissapear into the music today during my workout too...no kids...no interruptions.....SWEEEEEEEET!!

hope everyone is doing great! i know i am!
  #590   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

You and Lisa rave about BGB so much, it sure is tempting me to try it. I'm just so hooked on one bodypart a day. Still......I might have give it a shot.
You're work-out looks great. You are getting so strong! And the latest pictures you posted really tell the tale. You are doing GREAT Pammie!
  #591   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 08:21
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Wow, getting stronger rocks, that's great Pammie. You are doing awesome babe.
  #592   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 20:04

BF:

Quad dominant legs:

squats: 2x4~140lbs, 4x4~124lbs

lunges: 5x5~BW

(lightweight hamstring accessory exercise) leg curls: 4x12~40lbs

incline db curls: 6x4~20lbs
bb curls: 5x5~39lbs
hammer curls: 4x6~20lbs

the squats KILLED! the first two sets i used 140lbs and did fairly well with it...although i dont think my form was perfect...this is why i decided to lower the weight to 124lbs and go from there. felt a lot better after that!

lunges are getting easier with just my bodyweight (212lbs isnt very light anyway...lol)...but i will still do them with just my BW until i feel like they are really easy.

leg curls went nicely and really killed me! i kept my toes pointed and held at the top...very NIIICE

all the bicep stuff went great! yay!

man im sitting here feeling a little weird....my head is a bit lightheaded and i am wondering WTF?

i think ill go lay down and see how i feel in a little while....drag! i wonder if not getting much sleep is the reason....
  #593   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 04:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

man im sitting here feeling a little weird....my head is a bit lightheaded

When I work legs hard I always get lightheaded. Sometimes I'm sure I'm going to have a stroke!! I can't breath well, sweat is pouring off me, I feel faint..... But it passes pretty quickly and then I feel great. Hope you're feeling great now too.
  #594   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 08:49

BF:
Default Baby Got Back

ok...well a few people have asked about what weight training program i am doing now....here it is...

( taken from beyond low carb)

Baby got back

The back can be thought of as vertical and horizontal planes. Back training should really be split into two workouts - one devoted to horizontal pulling (thickness based workout / rowing movements) and one devoted to vertical pulling (width based workout / pull ups).

The hit you get from heavy deadlifts on leg day will round out your back workout.

Horizontal Pulling
  • Barbell Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • T-Bar Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • Rack Pulls (vary the pin height, usually set them set below the knee/mid shin area)
  • Seated Cable Rows
Vertical Pulling
  • Lat Pulldowns (various grips and widths)
  • Pull Ups
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull overs (Nautilus, cable, bar)
Grip
Pick one and stick with it throughout the course of the program - then switch when you want to change exercises. This would be most consistent and you'll be able to tell whether you're progressing or not. If you take a bent BB row - you'll find that you can probably lift more weight with a supinated grip because the biceps are assisting the movement. So if you're switching back and forth between grips during each workout, or every other workout, then it may be difficult to gage progress.

Supinated grip means palms facing your body. Pronated means palms facing away from your body. Semi-supinated means palms facing each other. A pull-up uses a pronated grip, palms facing away from your body. Chin-ups use the other two grips.

TYPES OF DEADLIFTS

SLDL

SLDLs are decent for the hip extension function and therefore your lower back, but not so much for great upper back development, at least comparatively speaking.

Regular Deadlifts

Regular deadlifts are a 'hip dominant' exercise. They hit the whole posterior chain - from hamstrings up to traps. They are the king of back development.

Do them first in your back workout.

You can be pretty sure you're doing it right if you're getting war wounds on your shins. It's basically a sign that the bar is staying really close to your body, which is correct.

You keep your sets short for two reasons:
  • 1. It is a complex movement and form tends to break down with higher reps.
  • 2. It is a strength movement. Your goal is to get strong on this exercise.
Keep the reps under 5 with regular deads. You can go higher with stiffs.

There IS overlap between these two exercises. SLDLs obviously hit some back, and regular deads obviously hit some hams. But stiff leg deads will not do for your back what regular, off the floor deads will.

Rack Pulls
A rack pull is like a regular deadlift off pins.

Click here for rack pulls

Pulling from the floor is more difficult. The weight has more distance to travel, and uses more glutes and hams. If you pull from pins you can focus on your back, which is essentially what’s working on the upper portion of a deadlift, and because your ROM is shorter you should be able to lift a bit heavier. Vary the pin height, but not set to set or workout to workout. It's a matter of being able to gauge your progress. If you change things too frequently, you really can't tell, from a strength standpoint, if you're progressing or not. You might stick with something for four weeks, and then switch it up a bit.

BUILDING IT INTO A WORKOUT
You could pair the horizontal pulling workout with horizontal pushing (chest) and the vertical pulling with vertical pushing (shoulders) to ensure that volume around the joints is kept constant.

However, this assumes for the most part that muscle groups are being trained once per week. An upper/lower split or an undulating split (with increased frequency, where everything basically gets hit twice per week) is better for hypertrophy. The one thing you have to consider when doing this is that the volume per bodypart per workout is lower, but the weekly volume, since you're hitting the muscle more often, is still fair.

4 DAY SPLIT

DAY 1 - HORIZONTAL PUSH PULL
Horizontal plane back (pull)
Select from:
  • Bent barbell rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • T-Bar Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • Rack Pulls (vary the pin height, usually set them set below the knee/mid shin area)
  • Seated Cable Rows
  • Dumbbell row
  • Hammer Strength row
Horizontal plane chest (push)
Select from:
  • Flat barbell press
  • Dumbbell press
  • Low incline press.
  • Flat flyes
(Standing calves, short, heavy sets)

DAY 2 - QUAD DOMINANT LEGS
Go short and heavy on two quad dominant exercises and lighter with higher reps for one ham dominant exercise. (Here, hams are accessory, so they go lighter, with higher reps)

(bicep work)

DAY 3 - VERTICAL PUSH/PULL
Vertical plane back (pull)
Select from:
  • Lat Pulldowns (various grips and widths)
  • Pull Ups
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull overs (Nautilus, cable, bar)
Vertical plane shoulders (push)
Select from:
  • Standing barbell press
  • Dumbbell press
  • Arnies
  • Laterals, etc
(Seated calves, long sets)

DAY 4 – HIP/HAMSTRING DOMINANT LEGS
Opposite from day 2. Go short and heavy on 2 hip/ham dominant exercises and light with higher reps for one quad dominant exercise. (Here, quads are accessory, so they go lighter, with higher reps)

(Tricep work)

all sets/reps on this workout are short and sweet ( 6 sets 4....5 sets 5...5 sets 6....etc) EXCEPT the accessory exercises obn leggie days...these should be longer reps with lighter weights.
  #595   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 10:03
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Aw man, Pammie.........giving away the secret BGB!!!! Now everyone will get buff and strong!

You doing Vertical push/pull today? My ass is already hurting from the deads this morning.....I'm going to be in trouble tomorrow, aren't I? <whimper> Good thing it's a rest day!
  #596   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Aw man, Pammie.........giving away the secret BGB!!!! Now everyone will get buff and strong!

You doing Vertical push/pull today? My ass is already hurting from the deads this morning.....I'm going to be in trouble tomorrow, aren't I? <whimper> Good thing it's a rest day!
hahahaaaaa yeah Lisa you know me...i give evrything away....

whohoooo on the sore ass woman! i will do hammies tomorrow! i LOVE deads!

ok!! i completed my workout Verticle Push/Pull and i feel fantastic! whohooooo! it was back/shoulders today....

pullups: 6x5~BW

DB pullovers: 5x5~40lbs

laying db rows: 4x4~30lbs (x2)

arnies: 5x5~30lbs (x2)

db press: 5x5~25lbs

cuban press: 4x4~34lbs

seated calf raises: 4x15~149lbs

ok!!

the pullups were niiiice...i havent gotten my bar installed yet so i used the bunk bed again...LMAO...although i cannot pull my whole body up on these i can still get a great burn by holding at the top and going VERY slow back down...

db pullovers went well! obviously this is with ONE 40lb dumbbell...hehe...i like these...i really feel it in my back.

laying db rows were great! i used the 30lb dumbbells and really made sure to hold at the top of the row and not let them touch the ground after each rep...

arnies were next! i had forgotten how much these kill me!! i used 30lb dumbbells on these and OMG..by the last set my shoulders were bawling like little biatches!! heheheheeee....

db presses were kinda difficult after those arnies, but i made it through with the 25lb dumbbells fairly easily....these really hit my shoulders too and i think i did my shoulders in today! KEWL!

last on the shoulders were the cubans...i like these a lot...but i wasnt sure what weight to use cuz i normally use a very very light weight on them when i do my rotator cuff prehab...i used 34lbs on the barbell today and i think i could prolly go up at least 5 more pounds with them next week.

to finish off my workout i did 4 sets of seated calf raises...i thought my calves were gonna DIE by the last set too...heheheeee

and thats the workout for today! yay!

i am considering going out and doing a HIIT a little later tonight....we will see...i know i will definitely do one in the morning...and then later saturday i will do my Hip/Hamstring dominant workout.

have a fabulous friday everyone!
  #597   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 15:26

BF:

yay! i had a great workout today!

it was Hip/Hamstring dominant workout w/ triceps at the end:

deadlifts: 6x4~220lbs

leg curls: 5x5~50lbs

SLDL: 4x4~164lbs

leg extentions: 4x12~70lbs (quad accessory...lighter weight longer reps)

dips: 5x6~BW

db extentions: 1x5~20lbs 4x5~15lbs

bb extentions: 5x6~34lbs

ok...started with the deads...which i absolutely LOVE...they went really well! i am thrilled with these everytime i do them!
next i did leg curls....pointed toes both UP and DOWN with a hold at the butt...these were HARD! someone please tell me how i can do 220lb deadlifts but only 50lb leg curls??? boggles my mind...
i was so pissed about the leg curls i threw in SLDL just to make myself pay...hahaha...seriously....i did these with 164lbs and WHOA did i feel them bigtime...hammies crying....heheheheee
moved on to the quad accessory exercise...these are supposed to be lighter weights but higher reps....they felt so easy the first few sets i was POSITIVE i needed to increase a little, but then those last 2 sets were freakin HARD all of a sudden....guess its cuz im low carb today...i always feel weaker on my low carb days....needless to say i had a great leg workout and was happy....so i moved on to triceps...
the dips were HARD today...seriously hard!...but i made it through them and got my second wind...
db extentions were next...i was feeling strong so i attempted 20lb db...was able to successfully complete the first set but i knew i would have to lower for the rest of them...used 15lbs on the rest of them and they felt very very good...
lastly i threw in some barbell extentions...i love these babies....they were a little too easy though with only 34lbs on the bar so i will up to 40lbs next time and see how it goes.

yay! i am thrilled to also say i am feeling VERY good this afternoon! guess that prednisone is actually helping me....ive been warned about them though since i dont have a full prescription left and they are steriod...i think maybe i will stop taking it and look for an over the counter allergy med to help me out...its so tempting to take the prednisone after how i feel today though...i am torn...

anyhoo feels great to feel better!
  #598   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 11:27
Battling the Bulge!

Plan: none specific-
Stats: 259.5/227.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:2high! (no idea?)
Progress: 30%

You are doing GREAT pammie!

Just take care of that ankle!

Thought I'd stop in here & check in on ya!
  #599   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 11:58

BF:

LOL i forgot to come in and log my HIIT...and YES the ankle is fine! yay!
  #600   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 15:42

BF:

whew...i got my workout done but i wasnt in top form today...i was already exhausted from getting up so early and busting my ass working all day...i felt weak...tired...basically didnt even want to do the workout but i knew if i didnt get it done right then i wouldnt have any time to do it later...

yadda yadda...excuses excuses...im just trying to make myself feel better for not benching as much as i did last week...hahaaha

Horizontal Push/Pull:

bb bent over rows: 6x4~100lbs ( first 3 suppinated grip...last 3 pronated)

cambered bar laying rows: 5x5~100lbs

db rows: 4x6~45lbs

bb bench press: 1x2~110lbs, 6x4~100lbs

db bench press: 2x5~35lbs, 1x4~35lbs, 1x5~35lbs, 1x4~35lbs

db flyes: 4x6~20lbs

skipped calf raises due to ankle sprain

ok....everything started out great...the bb rows were fabulous...i used suppinated grip for first 3 and pronated for last 3...both were really nice and i felt a good burn!
next i moved on to the camb bar laying rows...i always put a block up under the end of the bench so my arms or the bar cant touch the ground when i lower and i get a really kewl burn when i do these...its different from the bent rows and also from the db rows even though i understand they work the same muscles...i think its because i really allow my arms to go forward when i come down on these camb bar rows...its almost as if i really AM rowing a boat...and i HOLD to a count of 3 on the top...burn baby burn!! hehehe
next i did the db rows...never anything exciting with these...although i did almost squish the FARK outta my foot when the little screw thingy got caught on my shorts and came off....one of the little 2.5lb weights missed my foot by about an inch...yikes....me thinks i am accident prone today...hahaha

moved on to the barbell bench press...by now i was really just going through the motions and i knew just by the way i was feeling i wasnt gonna get 110lbs up more than a few times...i tried but only got 2 reps in before i felt like i couldnt do it again...so i lowered the weight to 100lbs and held for 4 seconds on the down before raising back up...this really was difficult! it felt good, but i was still pissed off about lowering the weights....grrrr...hahaha...
next was the db bench press...obviously this is 35lbs in each hand...it was quite challenging! i did 2 successful sets of 5 and then on the third attempt i lost it on the last rep....ack!...i made it all 5 reps the next set though....but on that last set i again could only make it 4 reps....sokay...ill do better next week....
last were the db flyes...i love these...i used 20lb dbs on these and it was fabulous...i think i will up the weights on these next week by just a little...

and thats the workout! yay!! hahaaa...hell at least i got it done! now i have to go wash dishes, cook dinner .....and COLLAPSE! tonight is Big Brother and Rock Star so after 8 pm i will be sitting my ass in front of the tube doing absolutely nothing! WHEW!!