Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 02:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
For some reason, it never occurred to me to keep my CO in the fridge once I opened it. It stayed in the pantry for some months but it still smells fine. Is it safe? effective?

Definitely. Coconut oil has substances that protects against bacteria, fungus etc. I never refrigerate my coconut oil.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 09:13

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Wow, thanks. The antifungal is the main reason I need it. Do you think it does more good as an af if taken internally or used topically?
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 10:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I also keep my CO on the counter. I use it both internally (in bowl muffins, on veggies, etc) and externally for chapped lips and dry skin. I live with my elderly mother who has some scaly & itchy patches of skin on her arms and legs. Her MD gave her cortisone cream and other prescription ointments which did nothing but lighten her wallet. She's been using the CO for only 4 or 5 days and the itchy patches are almost healed and the itch is gone. Amazing stuff.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 10:45

BF:

Quote:
Wow, thanks. The antifungal is the main reason I need it. Do you think it does more good as an af if taken internally or used topically?

When I began injesting CO, a fungal toe nail cleared right up. You should use it topically because it keeps your skin free of little nasties and also is absorbed, like anything else, into your system. You should get the book "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Brian Fife.. Oh, and read this link:
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 16:37

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Thanks for those last two tips. I'll go to the link now.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 16:50
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Coconut oil.

Very high in lauric and caprylic acid which acts as an antibacterial/antifungal, hence the herxheimer reaction that many people get when they begin to use it.

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/herxheimer.html

Also, being an extremely stable oil it does not go rancid easily--that's why we all keep it on the counter and it never goes bad--mine probably wouldn't stay around long enough to go bad because it's in my stomach

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sat, Mar-06-10 at 18:16. Reason: Additionn to post
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 19:25

BF:

Quote:

I found this site when I was wondering on the link between hypothyroidism and some raw veggies. Surprisingly I found this about CO. Read how it helps with thyroidism and how well the body absorbs Co when used topically.

http://bodyecology.com/08/05/22/low...id_symptoms.php
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 09:17

Plan: Atkins/Leptin Hybrid
Stats: 150/131/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
it helps with thyroidism

Omigosh! I had no idea about the thyroid connection, but, thinking about it, I was taking 3 grains of Armour when I started eating CO, then started testing high, so we lowered my dosage to just 2 grains now. I finally have a plausible explanation!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: IF/LC
Stats: 167/171/140 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: -15%

Hi! I'm Indian, and most South Indian cooking is usually done in Coconut oil. I remember my grandfather would tell me to put CO on any cuts or rashes so they would heal much faster than anything else. He would encourage us to eat it with meals, and use it to massage his hair - which started going grey only at 70. My grandmom still uses only CO on her hair, and she at 83 has NO white hair. Actually, my grandparents live on CO and had no major health issues at all!!

Secondly, I like going to an Indian food store where you could look for the Parachute brand of CO. It's definitely virgin, definitely organic - they don't even bother mention it, they assume you know its made like it always has been (manufactured in India). It's all we use for over three generations now.

Best of luck,
Sneha
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 18:10

BF:

I quit buying athletes foot medication. In the months when I wear socks ( winter esp ) my feet suffer. I just put coconut oil on them and it clears the athlete foot rash. It also cures the itchiness. Not only does it cure them but it also softens them quite nicely.

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Mar-09-10 at 08:23. Reason: I mispelled foot ( food ) that was confusing
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 18:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyP
Omigosh! I had no idea about the thyroid connection, but, thinking about it, I was taking 3 grains of Armour when I started eating CO, then started testing high, so we lowered my dosage to just 2 grains now. I finally have a plausible explanation!

This is mentioned in the link that I posted to the coconut research center. But just finding it randomly like I did is what surprised me.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 18:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneha
Hi! I'm Indian, and most South Indian cooking is usually done in Coconut oil. I remember my grandfather would tell me to put CO on any cuts or rashes so they would heal much faster than anything else. He would encourage us to eat it with meals, and use it to massage his hair - which started going grey only at 70. My grandmom still uses only CO on her hair, and she at 83 has NO white hair. Actually, my grandparents live on CO and had no major health issues at all!!

Secondly, I like going to an Indian food store where you could look for the Parachute brand of CO. It's definitely virgin, definitely organic - they don't even bother mention it, they assume you know its made like it always has been (manufactured in India). It's all we use for over three generations now.

Best of luck,
Sneha

I have been trying to make the coconut a major part of my diet. When I am slack with using it, my body does let me know. I use the oil, flour, coconut butter, milk and the coconut flakes.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 07:07

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I have been trying to make the coconut a major part of my diet. When I am slack with using it, my body does let me know. I use the oil, flour, coconut butter, milk and the coconut flakes.

Me too, I have replaced all the dairy in my life with coconut and there are so many improvements. I no longer get nauseated every single night before bed, my body temperature is much warmer and more comfortable and constipation is basically a thing of the past. I used to be addicted to dairy and now it seems gross and mucus-ey compared to the clean feeling coconut oil and milk give me.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 01:19

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I think I'm becoming addicted to coconut milk, LOL! I add a glop to crystal light drinks and it tastes like those Kern's Nectar drinks. I also use flaked coconut mixed with sliced almonds and chopped walnuts for an alternative to cold cereal. Then there's the coconut bark which I made for the first time today...to die for! I added almond butter to it and it was sooo good! I don't do all of this all in one day...I try to spread it out over several days.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 09:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've never even thought of adding the coconut milk to a crystal lite, what a great idea.