Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/182/154 Female 5"4'
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am not the expert. What I do know is I have always followed Atkins. I switched to SB because I was getting bored with ATkins. When I introduced the nuts and the 2 treats I can have all hell broke loose that just sent me off on another binge. I did learn from all of it that I will follow Atkins and include the nuts for fibre and just stay away from everything else until I get this scale down. It doesnt take much to set my cravings off.
So far so good on Atkins with nuts and the LC almond cookies I made. I also know I have to make recipes so I dont get bored and start having carbs I shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:07
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
So far so good on Atkins with nuts and the LC almond cookies I made. I also know I have to make recipes so I dont get bored and start having carbs I shouldn't.

This is sound advice on any plan I find that if I get into a rut with my food then I have a tendancy to fall off plan. That was the same on Atkins as it is on SB.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 256/249/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think I'll be making the switch from Atkins to SB, after having done Atkins on/off for a few years (mostly stopped because of frequent transatlantic moves). There's a point I hit where I can't follow advice that says, "Throw out those apples and strawberries, pick up your pork rinds and steak!" Now, I know there's nothing wrong with steak, but I can't fathom making substitute French toast with pork rinds rather than having some fruit. In the same vein, I've been told to stop making breakfast about typical breakfast foods and try some salmon or steak. I don't think that's something I could handle eating at that time of morning.

To each their own - I'm not knocking people who could eat a burger for breakfast, but there is something I don't think I can get into about sugar substitutes and pork rinds, regardless. In the end, what I find works for me is probably closer to SB but with some modifications. I'm currently in the process of making the switch based on what I feel I should be doing to eat healthily - and a "no carbs, ever" diet makes me feel a bit too much like I'm focusing on denying myself rather than enjoying things that are good for me.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:47
From Flab to Fab!

Quote:
I'm currently in the process of making the switch based on what I feel I should be doing to eat healthily - and a "no carbs, ever" diet makes me feel a bit too much like I'm focusing on denying myself rather than enjoying things that are good for me.

That's exactly where I was a year or so ago. I got to the point where I knew the weight wasn't coming off as well as it should, and I seemed to be denying myself everything. Now, I know that it was probably my own fault because like I said previously, if I had worked Atkins properly, I probably wouldn't have had to switch, but doing the swap over to SB meant that I could work up the carb ladder with my hand held so to speak. Unlike the wooly way that Atkins kind-of states the various phases of his plan, SB spells it out for you. I needed that kind of direct guidance in order to move up the carb ladder.
I felt so liberated that I could swap plans - add in so much more to my diet, and still lose weight.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 21:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Heres some info on the GI of Brown rice, just as a point of information and reference:

Glycemic Index for: Brown Rice
Food: Brown Rice (cooked)
Glycemic Index: 50
Glycemic Index Rating: Low

Glycemic Index Explained
The glycemic index is a measurement of the type or quality of carbs in a particular food, and how fast 50 grams of this carbohydrate raises blood glucose levels, (and consequent insulin secretion and effects produced by the pancreas) as it is digested.

Glycemic Response to Brown Rice
Carbs in Brown Rice have a slow effect on blood sugar levels.

Glycemic Load
For information on the glycemic effects of a standard serving of Brown Rice, click: Glycemic Load of Brown Rice
http://www.carbs-information.com/gl...own-rice-gi.htm

A rating of 50 (1/2 cup of brown rice is a serving) is considered on the low side...and it is complete with all the nutrients intact...because it is UN-processed.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 04:58
From Flab to Fab!

Just to remind people of what the original poster actually asked....

Quote:
Hello,

I am looking for people who were on atkins and then switched to South Beach. I have been doing atkins, and havce lost 35 lbs. I am thinking of switching to southbeach and I want to know how other people did after switching. Did you gain at first, etc.?

Thanks - Sue B

Can we get some other answers based on just the original question...?

Dividedsky, with respect to you, if you'd like to continue the discussion on the (interesting, in my opinion) differences between SB and Atkins, then can you make a seperate thread in which to do that?
You have every right to ask any questions you want, or make any point you wish, but I feel it might be slightly more appropriate in another thread, I think we stepped away from the original question and we could do with getting this particular thread back on track.

Thanks
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:39

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 280/260/240 Male 77
BF:
Progress: 50%

Judy – I’ve tried to private message you, but for some reason the code on this site doesn’t allow me to do that, so I’ll post here, even though I really think what I’m about to say is inappropriate to this forum.

I think you’re using the word attacking quite liberally at best, and totally erroneously at worst. You seem to be quite defensive about the SB plan, and I can relate, as I have been defending low-carb eating for 3 years now in front of the diet-frustrated low fat/high carb crowd (to which I feel SB does NOT belong btw).

However, once again I feel you totally misinterpreted my tone. Don’t forget, we’re all communicating via a web site, and things like tone and intent can be taken wildly out of context, so please be careful to jump the gun on someone because you could be the one who is misinterpreting what they say.

My objective here, in a thread entitled “from Atkins to South beach,” is to raise issues about the differences between the two plans and discuss them openly, weighing the pros and cons and to voice opinions about each. The media has lumped Atkins and South Beach together as if they’re both very similar low-carb eating plans, and I find that they’re actually quite different and there are actually major aspects to them that should be compared, so I was surprised to learn this isn’t the place for that (which I still find odd but, you know, whatever).

If the structure of this thread is just to pat people on the back and say, “you can do it!” (which has its value) then I’m clearly in the wrong part of the site, but I would have to say “thanks but no thanks” to posting in something called the war zone.

Now, I’ve been using and running web sites/bulletin board forums for about 15 years, so trust me when I say I realize there is a need to keep the contain pertinent, relevant, and in generally on topic. And there are always veterans who participate in them not only via the conversation, but by keeping posts applicable to the topic (which is often needed). But instead of actually gaining meaningful discussion about the two nutrition plans and what their weaknesses are, you’ve spent a lot of bandwidth getting defensive well out of proportion to what I was actually saying.

Remember, part of discussing the differences of a plan is to provide a counter-point to someone’s position (for example, when someone says SB is nothing but fresh, I’m going to bring up the point that your eating plan and Kraft are indistinguishable in at least two of the isles at my grocery store, and your obligation would be to reply to that, not accuse me of attacking).

And finally, you’ve mentioned that I have come in here and said things “that you all know," as if I'm wasting everyone's time.

I would suggest that not everyone knows all that you and the other veterans of the site know about low-carb eating. I think that’s part of the purpose of having a site like this in the first place, and I would also suggest that not every single person reading this 4 page thread new all of the information contained therein before coming here. I could be wrong, but I’d bet differently.

With that said, if you’d like to reply, shoot me a private message because I bet it’s not doing anyone any good here, especially if this is a thread for encouragement and not a discussion of two diet plans for which the thread was named.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:41

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 280/260/240 Male 77
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fox, yes, totally agreed. I may start one later today...and Judy, I welcome your thoughts! (insert favorite animated .gif here)
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:46

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Dividedsky--

if this isn't ATTACKING then i don't know what is ....................

and in order to PM someone you have to have a certain amount of posts (35 i think)...you should re-think about posting this here.... just my opinion.......

thanks.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky
Fox, yes, totally agreed. I may start one later today...and Judy, I welcome your thoughts! (insert favorite animated .gif here)

Wow, Dividedsky... I'm looking at your postings and the fact that you only have 16 of them. Relax. Judy is one of the most helpful people here and has helped shape numerous peoples' lives. Considering you're new here (at least relatively), just take a back seat on the fighting. (No negative tone is implied here I promise). Rather than getting defensive, or trying to prompt Judy to defend herself, let's just all move on.

I like the idea of you starting a thread on the merits of Atkins vs SouthBeach. So please, just start a new thread, and everyone will behave completely amicably. You've got some very good points - at the same time it seems that you're hellbent on a few others that may not be 100% accurate (such as Kraft processed foods being part of the plan which they are NOT).
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 15:05

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

May I also suggest to Dividedsky that you start your own journal, where you may air your opinions to your heart's content.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 15:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The PMing function is enabled for a new user the day after the 25th post.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Sout Beach
Stats: 326/307/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I've done Atkins in the past and lost close to 100 lbs. I loved the plan and it worked well for me. I fell off track after getting pregnant with my oldest son. Than started to lose weight through WWers when I got pregnant again with my youngest. Now I'm back on track. I started Atkins in August, and stuck with it till m y birthday in December. I lost but pretty slowly, I found with having kids and my family being vegetarian it wasn't the fit it used to be. Today is day 3 for me and the first 2 days are going grat. I'm nervous about moving into Phase II since I have an extremely low CCL on Atkins, I followed the carb ladder and fell flat on the first rung and always had to be at 20 gms. SO I hope I can continue to lose on Phase II. I haven't been on SB long enough to do a full comparrison but I just know at this time it fits into my life better than Atkins does.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 12:00
From Flab to Fab!

Hi Geekgirl, I had exactly the same fear as you about the CCL thing. I could eat maximum 35 carbs before it effected my weight loss. I was terrified of moving through the SB phases, however, my advice is to just go for it. I find I can eat between 60 and 80 carbs per day and still lose weight, but they have to be the correct carbs.

I have to stay away from flours, so bread is pretty much not on the menu for me, but I can have things like crackers - ryvita and the like. Oatmeal I can eat, but granola (no sugar variety) I can't.

If you introduce things back in slowly (starting with fruit) then you will see what you can and can't eat after the first few weeks of phase 2.

Good luck, take things easy and don't be afraid!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 15:02

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I never managed to get above 30-35 carbs on Atkins either. Even at week 4, SB is allowing me to eat more variety of foods.