Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 17:39

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Unhappy Goat cheese and nuclear waste...

Wow! That is quite a resume. What is a "fitness for duty technician at a decommissioning nuclear plant?" Just curious. Sounds like you want out of the "usual humdrum of daily living" to me! I have some friends who are in the dairy goat business out here in rural Oregon. They love it, but they don't seem to make much money. But, money isn't everything, that's for sure! Whatever turns your crank. I grew up on a small farm. We had a bunch of dairy goats. I especially loved to chase them all over the pasture and squirt the cats in the face at milking time. When my dad finally figured out the reason for low production was because I was chasing them all over the pasture and feeding half of the milk to the local cats, whose numbers kept growing and growing, to my youthful surprise, it all came crashing to a halt! I became the chief goat milker ("if you have so much fun milking the goats, it's now your job!"). For about twelve years I got up before the sun and milked goats. After my homework, I was again milking goats while other kids were playing. We had three nasty geese who used to creep up on me while I was busily milking so I could go out and play with the other kids. All of a sudden I would hear the telltale hiss and wham! One of them would bite my back! I got to where I was swinging those devilish birds over my head by their unbreakable necks and throwing them as far as I could. They never seemed to tire of their little game, either.

I have been drinking so much water, I think I'm floating up in my chair. Yeah, I figured it wasn't too good to last too long on this fast. Probably makes your kidneys look like a gravel pit! Kidney stones! Now, that's another story I won't bore you with.

Maybe you could figure out how to make your goat's milk glow with low amounts of nuclear waste...you know, not enough to hurt anybody. Boy! Just imagine the kids across North America eating the Wheaties most of them are allergic to and going to school with that "certain glow." HA! HA! Of course, I'm only kidding. I wouldn't wish Wheaties on my worst enemy!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 05:50
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Good morning my friends

Glad to see that we our losing on the fast. I dropped another pound and now down to 165 lbs. I added a slice of tomato slice but today I will add a salad to my menu.

The rain has stopped but now it is snowing. I just go with the flow and do what I can. Carol, I bet it is fun to ride a snowmobile. Our climate is not that cold here. Carol, I bet your goat cheese is wonderful. I grow up drinking goat milk. I am lactose intorlant. I can drink small amount of milk but over 1/2 cup and I get sick.

Cataxray and Carol, you both sound like you have interesting jobs. I have a BA in counseling and rehab. but since the strokes I have lost allot of memeroy and as you can tell my spelling is gone.
I went back to school at 40 and graduate from Marshall University in 1998 with a 3.44 average. I would love to go back to get my masters but it would not be in counseling. It would probally be in social work. But I am 48 now and there in prospect of jobs in that field here in West Virginia. My husband is a diabetic and just recently been able to walk again. But, I am not sorry about getting my degree because it helps me in my daily life to cope with what every comes my way.

Cataxray, No I don't think it wrong in wanting your wife home with you. Me and my husband has been married for 28 years and we miss each other. My husband can not cook. He has tried but oh boy the mess. I think it is sweet that you love your wife that much.

Well friends, I am going to get started on finishing my spring cleaning and I well email this afternoon. I hope you two a must wonderful day.

Donna
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:34

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225/196/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Goats!

Hi Captxray and Donnaj,

A fitness for duty technician such as myself does drug and alcohol testing on new contractors coming in to the plant as well as random testing for employees. Just to keep everyone honest and safe....you don't want an alcohol impaired crane operator dropping a heavy load on anyone! So I do breathalyzer testing (just like the state troopers, and folks come to me and pee in a cup!) They call me the pee lady...LOL. Some might think it is a stange job, but it pays tremendously well, is only part time a few hours per week, and I get to meet some really interesting people from all over the world. The other great aspect of getting out of the house is I don't have to listen to Barney and Clifford and Sesame street for a few hours! LOL.

My husband is a control room operator at the plant as well. I met him when I worked in the engineering dept there 10 years ago, prior to the shutdown.....I lost my job at that time and went to work for six years at Vermont Yankee, which is an hour away from us.... FYI, for the entire ten years that I have worked at an atomic plant, I have never received one tiny bit of dose (radiation) ever....so contrary to popular belief, my "glowing" personality comes from within, not from the plant! LOL!!

Donnaj, cogratulations to you for overcoming those strokes and still continuing your education, you are a warm and wonderful lady and anybody would be lucky to have you as their social worker!

Hope you don't have too much snow, we had 12 inches, and it melted like crazy yesterday, (those snowmen didn't last!) There is still not enough snow for snowmobiling.....oh well, at least you don't have to feed them like the horses we have!

I went to the easter goat and lamb auction yesterday...it was a bout an hour away....I am such a lousy farmer....I feel bad for all the broken down animals that get sent there, and want to take them all home...of course I went knowing that most of the animals would become Easter and Passover dinners....oh well, you can't save them all.....at least I got an education on how it works, and how to plan my strategy next year when I (if) I want to buy....

I love my goats, they are all so different and sweet, my daughter does really well on the milk and I have a blast making cheeses, I think I finally found something that I really truly can enjoy for a long time....I am just starting looking into being a commercial dairy, but in Mass. the regulations are very restrictive...I figure I need about $50k to start up.....yikes I don't have that kind of $$...but it is my dream, and I don't plan on becoming rich....just happy in what I am doing...I think it would be great for my daughter to grow up on a farm....of course my husband who did grow up on a cow dairy farm, thinks I am nuts! We shall see.....Captxray do you friends who have a goat farm have a website? I am trying to talk to as many commercial folks as I can to see which way works the best!

Well enough of my rambling...better get out and feed all the critters....I swear the horses hear me when I wake up and can almost peer into the windows from the pasture......I look at them from the bedroom and then when I get to the bathroom....they are looking up at the window with pleading eyes!!!! Feed me!!

Take care my lo carbing friends, lets all stick with it today!
Carol
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:49

Talking Hey! Way to handle a stroke. And, goat cheese sounds fun!

Donna J and Ranger! What a couple of interesting people you both are!! I've worked with many stroke victims, Donna J, as a psychotherapist, and I must say, you seem to be doing quite well. Imagine getting a college degree after something like that! Wow! I'm impressed with your fortitude and determination. That proves that this WOE will be a success for you, too. I, too am lactose intolerant and even a small bit of milk products makes me drive the porcelain steering wheel for about an hour. I can take half a bottle of Lactase and it doesn't even phase it. Goat milk was easier on me, as a child, but still made me sick until I finally realized that milk just wasn't for me. That's one reason why Neanderthin isn't that hard for me. It doesn't allow any milk product, or by-products, which is no big deal for me. The theory is; if you were naked with a sharp stick in the wilderness, what could you forage for food? therefore, anything processed isn't allowed. Only nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, meat, fowl and fish, and monounsaturated fats (olive oil) are what I eat. I have no cravings, and when I get hungry the only way that I know I am hungry is that I feel weak.

My middle daughter is coming to see me this weekend! She's going to keep Dad company until Mom gets home. I'm so excited! We are probably just going to hang out and watch movies and laugh a lot, because I'm really pretty sick with this awful virus that is sweeping through Oregon like a sythe. I've been sick for almost four weeks and I'm sick of being sick!

Ranger...I know what you mean about the "Pee lady." I used to be a deputy sheriff and a probation officer and also worked in a boy's ranch. In all of those jobs, I got the privilege of doing pee tests. Wow! That's the way I like to spend the day! NOT!!!

I have a confession to make...I blew it again last night! I got home at about 10PM...tired, sick, worn out, and weak. I knew I must be hungry because I hadn't eaten since noon and that was only that can of kippered snacks. I made a strange concoction of ground beef, roast beef (leftover in fridge), mixed in with four eggs, and some of my home-made pesto. Up to this point, pretty good for the protein fast. Then, I had some frozen grapes, a small apple, and a bunch of dried prunes that I dried last summer...After I ate the last prune, I thought, "Now, what is wrong with this picture? Oh, no!!! I forgot about the fast!!!" Well, I lost another pound!!!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 16:17

BF:
Thumbs up So see....it works for you!

Hi Captxray,

Sounds like whatever you did, it worked for you! Congrats...funny how it works sometimes isn't it?

I just went to the cheesemaking supplier today and got a fantastic deal on a cheese press, and she told me of a terrific deal on a commercial cheese process for sale...too bad it is $12K....I haven't established myself enough to invest that much....yet....hopefully I will be able to find a deal like that when I am ready.....oh well back to the kitchen to make some cheddar or gouda? we shall see....best of luck! Take care all!
Carol
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 17:11

Talking Good luck "Cheese lady" and "flooded in the East"

I'm off to Spring Break. Won't be back for 9 days. It's tough, but somebody's got to take all this time off. I sure like to see people who are so enthused about life! Both of you seem to be real fun people. Ranger, extra good luck getting your little business going. Hope you find a cheese press to your liking! I think it's so neat that you are so excited about your goat milk, and cheese business. More power to your entreprenurial accumen!

Donna J, if you really want to go back to school for that master's degree, do IT! If going to school at one of the "regular colleges" is too tough a grind, timewise, why not try one of the "alternative colleges" that are all over the place (especially in California) where you can do all of the work at home and go to, maybe one two week seminar a year. It is all done at home and your life experiences can even get you some entrance credit. I'll bet you're even qualified for some sort of grant or scholarship, being as how you are a stroke victim. You just get them to send you the paperwork, there are rarely entrance exams...no GRE is needed, and voila! You're a graduate student! A lot of these schools are not accredited, but they are "approved" for qualifying you for licensure in your state as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. You might even contact the national associations of Licensed Clinical Social Workers and see what schools they could recommend to you. I think there is a good chance for you to get your dream...I mean it. That's what I did. I had a full time job as a probation officer in L.A. county, had a baby, and no way to go to graduate school, when I found out about this type of a school. It was also much cheaper and faster. I got my master's degree in less than 8 months, instead of the usual two or three years. I got my Master's Degree and then got my license as a California Marriage and Family Therapist. I have NEVER...That's N-E-V-E-R been asked if the school I went to was "accredited." All employer's seem to care about is that you have the master's degree in your field. I practice in Oregon without a license because they don't require a license to be a counselor in this two-bit, wild west, cowboys and indians state. They do want me to show evidence of my Master's Degree, though. I was well on my way to having my PhD in clinical psychology when my first wife left me and I went bankrupt. I had to drop out with only 6 chapters left in my dissertation and I would have had the degree. All of my coursework was done, my research was finished, everything...I would have been a clinical psychologist and been making around one hundred thousand a year, but, alas, it was not in my kharma. I became a therapist, instead, and actually think I like it a lot better than doing psychometric testing all day long, anyway. Besides, money sure isn't everything! My baby is now 25 years old, and I've never looked back. I have three other babies that are in their twenties, now...one is pregnant, one is working on her PhD at Scripps Institute, one is a Captain in the Air Force, and one is working on her PhD at University of Oregon. They are what life is all about. That's one of the main reasons I want to lose weight and be more healthy. I want to enjoy my family and grandkids. Life seems to get less complicated as I get older and realize that I'm never going to be famous, never going to be a millionaire, and probably won't make much of a mark on history. But, I am a Dad, with four wonderful daughters and a loving wife. What more could I truly ask for? See you in a week!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 05:50

BF:
Thumbs up You've said it all!

Mornin' Captxray and Donnaj,

I believe you have said it all.....and you sound like a really great husband and father.....enjoy your spring break!

See you in a week...

Donnaj, he may have a point about one of those University without walls" programs, your life experiences count for a lot.
I hope you look in to it.
Carol
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 06:49
Pending Member

BF:
Default Good morning carol and catxray

Sorry, I didn't get to email yestersday. It was one of those days that everything went wrong. It didn't start that way. The only thing that was great I went down to 165 and today I could believe it that I am 163.5. Thank you whoosh fairy.

I wish I could go back but I didn't realize that I gave the impression that I got my degree after the stroke. No, I had the storke 3 years after I graduated. Now, since the stroke I have trouble with memory. I went to school so that I could help other people but I am lucky that I can still help. I work at food and clothing pantry and I am there for my friend if they need someone to listen to. My doctor still won't let me work yet. Stress caused me to have the first one plus my heritary cholestrol.
My right aurotola was 98% blocked when I had the first stroke. The doctor was very surprised that I finished my degree with the grades I had. I did have headache and days that I could remember anything.

I started adding items back and I think 2 days or maybe three is what I needed to get my weight started again. I even got into my size 12 dress for Easter.

Cataxray, have a great spring break. You sound like a great dad and father and I bet you are a very good therapist. I am so glad I have you and Carol as friends.

Well I have to get going and get ready for my volunteering at my church's food and clothes pantry.

Have a great lo carb day.

Donna
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 08:53

BF:
Thumbs up Yeah Donna! Yeah Whoosh fairy!

Hi Donnaj,

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday, I was wondering where you were, but yahoo, 163.5! That is awesome...you have lost like almost 5 lbs in the past week or so....I guess you are jumpstarted again....doesn't it feel great to fit into special clothes? Yesterday I tried on my wedding dress and my husband could zip it all the way! It was a little snug, but I remember it being that way on my wedding day too! LOL!

I also found a pair of black jeans that I wore the first time I did Atkins before my daughter was born...I tried them on and I could get them up but couldn't zip them......they fit me when I was 180 lbs the last time....so I have 15 more lbs to go before I fit into the "goal" jeans....just another incentive to keep pushing! Of course, compared to what people are wearing these days, low cut, belly button hangin' out, torn bell bottoms......they are horribly out of style...oh well....I don't really need anyone to be peering at my belly button anyway!!!!

So I haven't lost for 2 days, but haven't gained either...planning to do my workout tape again...funny when my DH is home from work, I feel self concious about doing it....with me jumping around the living room and rattling all the pictures off the walls! Yikes....

Can't wait until Tom is gone...then hopefully more weight will be gone too....

Well, I have to go work on a batch of Gouda cheese....I love this cheese stuff.....

Donnaj, your church is lucky to have you help with so many things...God bless, I am lucky to have you for a friend too....Thank you,
Carol
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 20:04
Pending Member

BF:
Default Good evening

Carol,
Wow, I know what you mean about fitting into clothes that you haven't worn for a long time. My wedding dress was destroyed in a fire right after we were married but I would have to anexeria again to wear it and it not worth getting sick again. I am glad you could get into your. What did your husband think? I bet he was very proud of you and had love in his eyes.

I have never eaten gouda cheese. What do you use it with? I am not very knowledgable about cheeses. I need to try some different cheese. I wil look at the store and see what they have.
I think it is great that you love what you do and hope that you can get your business started soon. Do you sell your cheese and how much do you charge for it?

Carol, I am so glad your my friend too and I know that we can do this together.

Donna
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 20:59

BF:
Thumbs up It was fun!

Hi Donnaj,

It was really fun trying on my wedding gown again....it is kind of funny, I was so busy and rushed at our wedding, I really didn't get to play around in it at all....yesterday I was spinning around and stuff like a little kid....my daughter thought it was great! My husband I think, was kind of happy that it fit again!

Gouda is a Dutch cheese, it is usually round and wrapped in a red wax coating....the goat cheese comes out very white, where if it was made with cow's milk it would be a yellow gold color...right now most of my hard cheeses are "experiments" I can make an excellent chevre which is a french style soft goat cheese, (kind of like a cream cheese texture) It can be eaten plain, spread on crackers, used in baking, (cheesecakes) in omelets, etc. Very versatile...so far people love this one the most. I mix in herbs, like dill, garlic and cracked pepper, basil and sun dried tomatoes, caraway seeds, chives etc. It is really good rolled in chopped fresh basil from the garden in the summer.....

Legally I cannot sell my cheese until I actually have a commercial dairy in place...the laws are very strict in Massachusetts...but I have given a lot away as gifts so far and I always take a platter to pot luck suppers in town and church....that way I can get a feeling for what people like and dislike....When I go commercial, I can probably sell my chevre for about $5 per 6 ozs...if I decide to try producing completely organic cheese, I could probably get more, but I have to figure all that out down the road...

So far, other cheeses I have made are cheddar, feta, mozzarella, and ricotta, Ziegerkase(Alpine goat cheese) camembert and lemon cheee....it is an addictive hobby with yummy results....the best part is, it is on my diet!!!
I read a lot on the subject and seem to learn more about it every day...it certainly keeps me off the streets! The whole process is very time consuming.

Well time to get to bed...talk to you tomorrow!
Take care,
Carol
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 12:50

Talking I'm back!

I need a break! Spring Break was nothing but "honey-do" projects. I'm worn out! I got to see my daughter..twice! My wife went to Idaho and visited another daughter who is pregnant for a week. I wish I could say that i was ready to be back to wrk, but I wish i could have had a bit of a break! I did mediations for about half of the "break." God! I really hate being in the same room with some of the angry people I have to mediate! I told one guy, who was trying to lord himself over his ex that I was stopping the meeting because he just wouldn't shut up and let her have a word in edge-wise. However, I got to go on a few motorcycle rides (two with my daughter, who thought it was a blast!). The weather suddenly got really beautiful. Today, it is about 70 degrees! I guess that's why I love living on the west coast. Well, cheese lady! How are the goats? Both of you are still losing? I maintained over the break. Actually, I think I may have actually lost something, but it's not showing up on the scales, yet.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 13:59

BF:
Default Welcome back!

Hi captxray!

I know what you mean....sometimes you need a vacation from a vacation!

Things are slow for me in the weightloss dept....I fell off the wagon over Easter and haven't weighed in since....I'm too chicken! Well back on induction for me.....I bought a new goat on Saturday, a beautiful 2 week old French Alpine....we named her Maple Cream....our Emma, was just getting fat and decided that she wasn't really pregnant......so she is lo carbing it with me now!
LOL....
Take care,
Carol
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:42

Talking A Low Carbing Goat!!??

Now, how does a goat LC? Has she been into the molasses and oats more than one would want their goat to be? Bad Goat! Man! That brings back happy memories! When I was kid, we would often raid the oats and molasses and eat them, ourselves. Might be one reason I have a weight problem now...HMMMM...I wonder...

I stuck to my WOE for the entire Break and didn't lose an ounce! I'm back to one of those plateaus we've all read about and experienced. I've been maintaining now, for about two weeks. It's about time for another five pound weight loss...then back up a couple of pounds to maintain for another two weeks. At least I know the way my body works, now. It's still a bit disconcerting, though. Where's DonnaJ? I hope she's alright.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:48
Pending Member

BF:
Default Hello friends

Thank God things are getting back to normal again. I have been good and I am staying at the same weight. Oh well, I am like you catxray. I am thinking about going back on our fast for two days to see if that well break it. Easter was so busy, I really did haven't had time to overeat. I am glad you had a good break.
I am glad you had a good Easter Carol. I wanted the Easter candy so bad but my husband kept a watch on me and I made it. I am going to make some bread. I bought some vital wheat gluten flour. My sister said it was great. With only 3 carbs, I think it is a great treat. Well guys, I need to go and get the dishes done but I will be here tomorrow .
Donna