Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 07:44

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
originally posted by Trisha
Linda I was looking at just that Joyce Vedral book the other day. Do you recommend that particular routine and are you getting great results?

Trisha, as far as I can tell it is delivering everything that Joyce says it will. This is what she says you will see and feel at 3 weeks if you are twenty to 50 pounds overweight...
Quote:
In three weeks you will begin to see definition in your upper back and shoulder area. Your biceps will begin to show a curve when you make a muscle, but your biceps will still feel soft to the touch because the developing muscle will still be covered with to much fat to show a change. You will show some definition in your upper chest area. Your stomach, thighs, and buttocks may feel slightly harder, but they will still be covered with too much fat to show any visible change.

I definitely show some definition in the upper back and shoulder area! My shoulder bones used to stick out, even though my arms are heavy with fat... now my shoulder bones are covered with a nice layer of muscle, my left being smaller and weaker doesn’t show as much change, but it still is there. My back feels much tighter and less flabby soft. I can definitely SEE and feel a curve of muscle when I make a muscle in my biceps and my triceps are developing muscle, but it is not really noticeable, except that it feels less flabby. My breasts seem to be lifted slightly higher and seem more round then flat and I can see some muscle in the upper chest area as well. My stomach is tighter and doesn’t protrude as much as it did, even though I have not lost any inches there. I feel, but can’t see much improvement in my thighs and butt... but they do FEEL much tighter as does my triceps! I see and feel muscle in my calfs as well.

Would I recommend this routine? Most defiantly YES!!!! Whole heartedly.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default Happy Sunday Everyone...

Marlaine and Linda...

OK...I'm going to do this because of my commitment to you 2, until I can do it for myself (smile).

I DID 20 minutes of upper body strength training from Joyce's body building program...so...I re-started. I was extremely gentle...doing only 10 repetitions of each exercise and resting 15 minutes after each set. I only used 2 pound dumbells for each set. I'm feeling really good about how gentle I was with myself.

Getting ready to set up a new calendar so that I remember which part of the body I worked and...so that I can build in a cardio program.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Linda...wow, your progress with Joyce's program sounds really good. I remember how happy I felt when I had 3 months in....the progress was really fast. I'm trying to do this in my home and still don't have "the training bench" put together...so, I'm not sure how well I'm doing on the arms routine...but, right now...anything is major progress

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 12:14

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi all!

I'm not sure if I'll change anything in my diet. I read that general exercisers and they seem to "take weekends off" and eat whatever on Sat and Sun. I'm not sure I want to feel the effects of that when I go off the stack on weekends. If I find that I need to carb up on weekends, then I might go to doing five full weeks (all days) of taking it and two full weeks off. Then I might not feel the total effect of the carbs. I hate the tiredness and sickness of it! I will do anything to avoid it. So, no, I'm not changing this week. I'll be at 30 to 40 carbs a day and 10 to 11 times my weight in cals and see how it goes...I'll let you know what happens.

Amber
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 15:42

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Since today is my 1 in 6 that I take off from my fitness routine, there is nothing to report. Oh, except the 20 minute walkabout in my local area. May go for another walk this evening too. Just can't make myself sit for a whole day!!

Amber...The reason I asked about changes in your nutrition is because only if you continue as you have been will you be able to tell if the differences you feel are because of the Stack. Should be an interesting experiment!

Cher!!I am so proud of you for getting going on this! Please be very careful not to go forward to fast. We want you to be able to stick with this and enjoy all of the benefits possible from continued exercise!

Looking forward to my LBWO tomorrow morning!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 17:44

Cher... YES Please do take it easy! I'm so proud of you...

I have not done my w/o as of today, but you can be sure I will! I don't know if you realize this or not... but you doing this helps with MY motivation to keep at it... Kinda selfish, huh! LOL

*O.K. W/O DONE!*

Last edited by adnil53 : Sun, Aug-18-02 at 22:46.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 23:44

Marlaine and Linda...

I'm definitely taking your advice ... I will try to do a gentle cardio tomorrow and gave myself permission to just do 10 minutes. It'll be a while before I'm able to build up again but...it should happen by Christmas!

Thanks to both of you for being a cheering squad
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 06:45

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Smile Thanks Linda!

Hi Linda,

Thankyou for the feedback re: Joyce Vedrals workout. It certainly gives me more incentive to do it myself.

I have also got her guy busters book. Today before I did my 30 minute cardio I did two of her abdomenal exercises (3 sets each of 25 reps of both crunches and side crunches). I usually do these on the days I do my weights but she does say you can do abs everyday. I tried the situps but couldn't even make it up on the first go!!! Oh well at least the others are easy to do!

Good on you for joining us Cher and you like Joyce Vedral too!! She does have a website somewhere about the place that I checked ages ago.

I have decided to change my stats and make my new weight goal lower. I have decided that I do need to lose more body fat and that means weight in my case to meet my body fat percentage goal.

#53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:08

Trisha... I was thinking about Joyces guy busters book also. Is that guy or gut? I do know she has one for guys! I would like very much to get my DH into this, he is a skinny fat, as she puts it! And when I was ready I wanted do her abs routine for men, to get my belly.... ummmm... in perfect shape, you might say! But now I am dreaming! That will be quit a while yet.
http://www.joycevedral.com/ ...

*I just looked* "Top Shape" and "Gut Busters" are the ones I was thinking of. "Top Shape" being the one I was thinking of for my DH and the "Gut Busters" for myself and DH... now to get him interested! Maybe when he gets back, he will *notice* all the improvements I have made and it will motivate him as well! Now that would really be some motivation for ME!!!! After all I need all I can get

Last edited by adnil53 : Mon, Aug-19-02 at 10:31.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 10:52

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, all you "challengers"

Started week 3 of BFL today with upper body workout. Last week went OK, except Thursday's 20 min of cardio turned into 10. Darn heat wave! Here in the Northeast US, we're melting. I know, I know – it's worse for you gals in the South (or other warm locales) but our old New England Homes don't come with central AC as standard equipment!

Anyway, on Saturday, I took it easier so I could last the whole 20 on the NordicTrack. It worked, and I was able to push myself more for the last half.

I checked out the Joyce Vedrals website .. wow! Those "befores" and "afters" were pretty impressive. I want to stick with the BFL through this challenge, but I'd consider switching to Joyce after the 12 weeks. The only problem was I found the array of products too confusing. There's not enough info on the tapes, and the descriptions don't even say what kind of routine they are – all weights? Or any cardio? She certainly makes them appealing for women, but they're too expensive to make the mistake of buying the wrong one. I'd be interested in anyone's feedback.

best to all ..
rhu
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:47

rhu...
Quote:
The only problem was I found the array of products too confusing. There's not enough info on the tapes, and the descriptions don't even say what kind of routine they are – all weights? Or any cardio? She certainly makes them appealing for women, but they're too expensive to make the mistake of buying the wrong one. I'd be interested in anyone's feedback.
I agree with that it is confusing and expensive! You could try Amazon.com for lower prices and more description... but because I had her "Bottoms Up!" w/o book, I did have some information before I bought a w/o tape. I know the weight training made easier is both cardio and weight training. As for the rest, I just do not know. Also she has a message board, you could try for more info... Also, you could try your local library... that is were I found the workout book in the first place...
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 22:43

Another w/o done! Woooh, now I am tired once again! I LIKE the abs routine a lot! And it feels so good to feel the progress I am making. 4 weeks ago I could barely do a crunch! I know I am not perfect at them yet, but I am very much improved! Good workout!
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 06:34

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Smile Hi Linda!

Hi Linda,

Whoops!!! A major typo!! Yes it was meant to be 'Gut' not 'Guy'. I tried an extra couple of the ab exercises from that book today (I always do the crunches and side crunches). I had no luck with the situps and couldn't even do one!! I was suprised at that as I find the full set of reps (25) and the three sets so easy to do now with the crunches.

Thank you for sending the Joyce Vedral web site. I just love her abs and what she has done with the rest of her body. She looks so good and radiates such glowing health.

I had a copy of her food book but have since sent that to one of my sister's who is getting excellent results from "low fat eating". It is not a way of eating I would follow now after discovering Low Carb.

I do hope your husband follows suit and gets into the exercise. It is so good to have a supportive (and also a workout) partner. My partner is into keeping fit but he goes out running or riding in the early morning while I stay home doing weight or fast walking on my treadmill. We have young children and someone needs to stay home to keep an ear out for them in case they wake up.

In regards to the Joyce Vedral books I have found that she does describe some of the other books in some of her books. I haven't seen her workout tapes yet but I imagine they would be based on most of her books. I need to check out her web site some more!!

#58   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 08:58

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hey there Ladies!!

It's so good to see the action in this thread and all of the information and inspiration being shared!

Linda... I know what you mean about your crunches getting better and better. I think that sometimes we self-defeat ourselves when we can't do something perfect the first time. I know that the first time I parallel parked, it was not the best, but over time with practice and repetition, I can park like a hot-da##! It's a simple matter of practice and I think just about anything we try to do can benefit from practice. Keep on crunching!!

Got in my LBWO yesterday and today I'll be heading out for my morning cardio very shortly. I keep saying that running is not my thing, but I'm getting to enjoy it more and more every time I head out. I usually run intervals - and I have to admit that I'm getting better at it and able to run for a longer time and faster too. Feels like quite an accomplishment for me!!

Hope you are all having a great fit day!!

Marlaine
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/226/189
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default exersize

Count me in, I will run on mon, wed and fri. I will also walk at least 1.5 miles aday.
Fred
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:30

Hi everyone...

OK ...got my lower body W/O in today and felt good about pushing through this vertigo (dizziness)...I usually let that stop me because it's kind of unsafe...but I went really gentle and slow

Marlaine...I promise to get some cardio in here soon But, I did get in 2 days of strength training this week (so far)

Hi Trisha...That gut busters book sounds good. I'm working out of Joyce's "Weight Training Made Easier" book...there are 4 ab workouts and they're great. The last time I did them I was shocked at the results when I measured. So, I'm hoping that happens again.

Linda...you're right...the support is awesome no matter which exercise program you're doing. But, just for you...my dear...I posted in my gym log today I'm really happy that you're seeing such positive results...that's really great!

Hi Rhu...congratulations on being on week 3 of BFL...WTG