Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Lori Jo

I am so sorry to hear about your losses...nobody should have to go through what you have been through. I think we all were devestated over 9/11...Even your neighbors to the north. I know I sat in front of the tv for days...crying...I could not believe that something so tragic had happened. I did not lose anyone however... still felt the need to grieve...I guess for our society as a whole...I could not imagine being in your position. You do what ever you need to do to, to help yourself through this. Hugs!

And God bless North America! Amen!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 17:08

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Love, Light, Healing, Peace

Quote:
Lori-Jo: I agree that people should not abuse a-deps. Believe me, my reasons were not frivolous. ...... The Effexor takes the edge off things, which is fine for me right now. ........ right now I am coping the way I need to.

I do believe you. I was not in any way being critical - please don't read it that way. Without drugs was MY choice - that does not mean it needs to be yours.

I whole heartedly agree with SHORT-TERM use of ante-depressants to help tide one over a difficult period. What you describe is most definitely a VERY painful, stressful, sudden-shock situation. I am very glad that you are taking care and doing whatever you need to do to help you cope with the situation. I was feeling sick and ill for a couple of weeks after 9/ll (read my journal entries around that time). I did not even know anyone personally so I can't imagine what it must be like for you.

Garrison, it restores my faith in humanity when I hear that some people's experiences of the Mental Health System have been good.

Take care,
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 18:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 245/241/160
BF:
Progress: 5%
Smile Thanks

Thank you all for your kind words and comfort. This forum has the nicest, most caring people in the world.

Fiona, I didn't take your post to be critical - typed words just don't give you that same nuance as spoken words! Hope you didn't take mine to be overly defensive.

Lori
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 00:05

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile We are all human beings

Lori-Jo,

I felt your post was a little defensive but then I realised I was defending my choice too. It's become an automatic response for me over the years - like changing the gear without thinking of it

I think sometimes we tend to "internalise" and "compare" without being consciously aware that we are setting ourselves a standard that could possibly be understandably difficult to measure up to.

You are so right - words have diferent associations for each individual.

Take Loving, Accepting, Understanding Care
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 08:27

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Hello everyone,

I have been reading and pondering. All of you are such brave and wonderful people to put your stories out here. I hope that writing about it is helpful.

I've been struggling with a very low-grade depression myself for a few days now. It's a cyclical thing. Anyhow, I have been helped by you people. You are all courageous and when you write, I hope that you not only help yourselves but realize that you are helping others.

I feel nothing but deep compassion and sympathy for everyone here.

Natalie
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 23:04

Plan: Broer
Stats: 165/165/130
BF:?
Progress: 0%

Hi -- I am a new member and was interested in this site because I suffer from anxiety (that seems to have made me a social paralytic) and mild depression. Paxil was a miracle drug for me and completely changed my life for the better. However, after reading about Paxil lawsuits and effects of long term use I stopped taking it and replaced it with GABA Plus by Twin Lab (natural -- I believe an amino acid?) after reading a "homeopathic" book. Anyway, I have had great results with it and wanted to pass that info along in case it could help anyone else.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 08:35

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi autumnrb, please tell me more. I have been taking Paxil for years, and just now tried to get off the drug. I feel terrible, I have been taking half a doze for a little more then a week. This morning I caved in and went back to the full doze, I just feel so bad. The vertigo is the worst. Tell me how you got off. Any advice will be appritiated
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 09:22
Registered Member

Stats: 267/219/192
BF:
Progress: 64%

Oh Tanya

Im really upset that you caved in

Please listen to me .............

Get the liquid form of paxil and come off it by reducing the dose by 1mg every week using the liquid

Please trust me this is how to do it

You can go cold turkey but as you have already experienced some of the withdrawal, if you go cold turkey it will be about 100 times worse.

Do it the liquid way and although it will be a hard slog it will be much mellower and you will get there

Im not gonna lie to you, you will be miserable for about the next three to six months as you get over it, but im about five months into it and soo close now

It feels so good to know im almost finally clean of paxil.

My prayers go out to you

Dan
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 09:32

Plan: Broer
Stats: 165/165/130
BF:?
Progress: 0%

Tanya -- I wish I could give you advice about getting off Paxil. I did not have any trouble getting off of it (but I took it less than a year). I think I am in the minority because I have had friends experience exactly what you are talking about. If you type "paxil side effects" into a search engine, a Paxil support group will be listed (on Yahoo, anyway). They may be a better resource about getting off. As far as the GABA, I will write you back and give you the name of the book/author I was talking about (my mom has the book) and the site I ordered it from, if interested. Hang in there!!

autumnrb
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 10:38

BF:

Dan, thank you so much for you consern and support. I feel miserable, see, I can't even spell......LOL. I think I will try again, but later, after my new house is build. I am also having marital problems, once all of that is resolved, I will get off the meds, I just don't think it is the right time now. I could probably handle the mental withdrawls, but it is the physical that get me. I go to work and can't think, my head is spinning and all I want to do is go home. This stuff is something else. I know I need to get off it.

autumnrb, thanks for the reply. I wonder if I start taking GABA, it will be easier to drop paxil. Or maybe St. John's wort.

Guys, if my head would just stop spinning, I would be alright. I even started working out thinking it would help. It helps imotionally, but not the other. Dan, I will call my Dr. and for liquid paxil. Thanks guys, please keep writing. I love talking to people that understand.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:15

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Arrow S L O W L Y

Hey Tanya! Haven't had the chance to talk in here for a while lately.

I just wanted to encourage you to take things slow and steady at your OWN pace. Only YOU can truly determine the right pace for your body and your circumstances. There is no deadline for you to get off of Paxil. Eventually you will reach your goal with the little successes that you have each and every day.

I wish you the best and I know that you will reach your goal!
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:19

BF:

Hey girl, I missed you . Thanks for the kind words. I hate it that I caved in to paxil, I was just soooo sick. Oh well, I will stop one of these days. Good hearing from you.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:22

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Unhappy no no no

Girl, you didn't "cave in" to Paxil. You made the decision that things are too hectic right now to try to make major changes. I honestly think that was a GOOD decision, don't you?

If you're in the process of building a house AND you have some marital problems right now, then I definitely agree that now is not the best time to tackle weaning yourself off of Paxil. (Of course, I'm not a doctor and I don't know all of your situation.)

I'm here for you, girl.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:27

BF:

Thanks you . I also quit smoking 2 months ego....just too much at one time. I feel much better now that I am back on paxil. Anxiety is not fun. I have to a 9:30 meeting, but I'll talk to you soon. Thanks for the hug, I needed it.