Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-09, 22:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I wish I had been one of those women who breast fed and lost tons of weight because of the breast feeding alone, but unfortunately for me, breast feeding did not seem to help me lose any

I did actually do low carb while breast feeding and it didn't seem to have any effect on my production of milk in any negative way. There might be something to look out for if you are super low carb, and in deep ketosis -- maybe that might do something to the milk, but I'm not really certain.

My plan is do low carb while breastfeeding once this baby comes in 10 weeks!!

Hope everyone is doing and feeling well!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 10:36

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

I have succumbed to my cravings. Pizza and popcorn have been my latest obsession. I am at Cosi now and am seriously forcing myself away from one of their flatbread or bagel sandwiches. RESTRAINT!!!!!!

I am anemic so I am trying to crave iron, but it's hard to do when I see such deliciousness surrounding me.

Status of weight:

4 weeks, 112.5 lbs
24 weeks, 131 lbs

Yea, I know
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 15:26

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%

I just spoke with my DR. and he said that doing low-carb can lower the milk production & you need carbs for it. But what I'm thinking is I wasn't clear that I will be eating carbs, just not breads & chips. I think when people here low-carb they think that you don't eat any. We do, just complex good ones! Like veggies & grains.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 01:52

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

Several of us seem in the same boat with weight gain. April, my stats are
-4 weeks: 157
-20 weeks: 173.6

so close to 20 pounds also and i had jsut gained a fast 7 in the 2 weeks prior to 4 week weigh, on my honeymoon, so it'S fast! I understand about temptations, as I'm back to my HUGE daily desserts...........forgetting about dealing with all that weight later for a minute, I'm starting to worry about causing gestational diabetes........again, my only realistic goal that I'm considering attempting, is trying to have the sugary desserts every second day instead of every day! I accept that i will have lots of starch in most meals and snacks - I,m OK with that.

Can'T answer the breast feeding question since this is the first newborn i will have. But i had a similar question about if it is healthy to do lower carb (i guess mine might be considered more moderate with SB) when breast feeding. I don'T think I'll feel comfortable doing a stricter phase (Phase 1 - no fruit or starch, but still dairy), but Phase 2 allows fruit, dairy and some starch. ALthough, to be honest, for about the 9 months before pregnancy, i had gone to more moderation of food groups and not LC, so we'll see - that might end up being better for me.

Good luck all!

Latté
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 10:45

BF:

Okay ladies, so just had my 29th week weigh in...gained 7 lbs. I'm not sure how I feel. On one hand, I'm almost 200lbs...which just doesn't seem real/possible to me...but on the other hand I don't look 200lbs except in my belly. So i'm conflicted on how i should feel lol.

I've been walking when the weather is good & there isn't snow on the ground. I usually am really motivated for the first 2 weeks after a weigh in then horrible & put on like 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks before the dr. apt. AHH! lol.

Is this weird? I'm not actually nervous about taking the weight off, I know if i lc i can do it, i'm just don't like it now and I can't go to extremes to take it off.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 15:03

Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Bella we are all in the same boat. We know the weight will come off later but we all want a healthy gain not the crazy out of control gain some of us feel we are experiencing.

It's hard because we do have to gain some weight. I know that I'm gaining more than I should and it sometimes gets to me and I manage to reign it all in for a short time.

My other concern is I know lots of carbs are not good for my health, yet I am inconsistent with my eating patterns. I wonder if this is even worse.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 15:10

I'm impressed that you're walking, I am only exercising by running around after my other 2 and keeping the house in some semblance of order.

The other issue is we are going through a heat wave over here. Definitely not wise to go out in, but in all honesty, I wasn't doing it anyway.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 18:19

BF:

A heat wave? Man, I'm jealous. Well not really, but it snowed this morning. I can't wait for the warmer weather. Last summer this was me...ciggs, wine, good book, blanket, outside most of the day tanning! This summer...baby, good book, water, blanket, and tanning! What a change that'll be!

Sometimes I feel great about how I look, other days not so much. I hate that i get down at all about it ya know? I get sad, then I get sad that I'm sad about it. HAHA, vicious cycle I suppose.

I wonder about inconsistency also. I'll either eat really healthy...salad, lean meats or not healthy at all. Wonder if it helps or makes us gain easier when we eat the not healthy. Who knows?

Glad you ladies are here to talk to. When is everyone due? We can get some challenges going once our babies are in the world!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 22:07

We've had temperatures around 109 give or take a few degrees for around 10 days now. I'm seriously over the extreme heat but I can't stand the cold. I guess there's always something to complain about

Bella is this your first?

I'm due April 8th, not far from you.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 03:35

BF:

Lots of April new babies! I'm due April 9.

I've had a very weird week. I was laid off from work on Thursday after working at the company for 4 years. Not a total surprise, but nonetheless, I feel slightly in shock about the whole thing. We have a lot of new things to figure out (i.e. health insurance, day care changes, less money).

I loved that job and working but now I guess I have more time to wait for the baby -- who the heck is going to hire me at almost 8 months pregnant anyway -- and spend more time with my two little girls (ages 4 and 2).

My eating has been atrocious -- I am a stress eater on top of all this pregnancy eating. Why do I always resort back to chocolate?!!!

We are also in the process of buying a house for the first time, and so now nervous about the lesser income, but I think it will be okay. I just need to find a new job as soon as possible.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 22:20

BF:

Yes, this is my first baby. We're so thrilled. I just ordered my baby bedding today, and got a great deal on it! I'm excited. I've decided that this month I am going to eat basically low-carb, but with added dairy & fruit. So basically a good diet all month. That way if I still gain a bazillion lbs I'll know it was baby! lol. I can't believe our little ones will be here soon
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 10:17

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

HI Ladies!

First, Bella Meow, i say enjoy not being nervous about the weight and that most of it seems to be in your tummy! We need to enjoy ALL positive moments about our bodies whenever we can, right? I also have moments where i feel a little down about the fast weight gain (and clearly from daily huge desserts on top of starch in jsut about all meals), but many many times where i jsut feel wonderful with the belly (even if gain elsewhere too) bc of the magic of this being true. I still can'T believe I,m pregnant and want to enjoy it as much as i can. I am 21 weeks this Tues coming. It'S going so fast.

Right now, more focused on anxiety about baby health since we are still waiting for amnio results; they said it takes about 3 weeks which was last THurs, then said early this week. ANy thoughts and prayers appreciated.

Wantbskny, sorry to hear about your job situation - that is so stressful. My DH also jsut lost his job - not great. One day at a time.

Can'T wait to start having more obvious baby movements; i have had a bubble burst feeling and some slight flutters, but it is never certain.

GOod luck everyone!

Latté
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 13:49

BF:

Is this your first too? I love feeling Addison move around in there, it's amazing. Right now, everyone I know *or seems like it* is dieting & losing weight. I swear I am always dieting, but not now, and wanting partners & now they do it?? lol. Whatever.

My sister just lost 18lbs & i'm so happy for her. She loses weight SO slowly even on low carb & I'm glad she is able to see the light! Plus, it'll give me more motivation to be skinnier than her, i've never been bigger than her in my life, but i am now! lol.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 04:15

BF:

Latte, sounds like the bubble burst feeling and slight flutters are definitely movements! How exciting to first feel movement! Stronger feelings will come very soon.

(This little one inside me seems to be doing karate chops, or likes to kick alot! Right now, lots of movements in a row. Much more than my previous pregnancies!!).

Sometimes, they can even get the hiccups inside of you, which also feels very strange, but fun!!

Since my layoff, I have lost a bit of my appetite, which might be one of the blessings in disguise everyone is telling me this layoff is. I seem to be down two pounds. But still, I'm up 33 pounds in almost 32 weeks.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 15:05

Hello lovely ladies

Good to hear your pregnancies are progressing well. Let me just tell you, all in all I've gained around 30lbs. Funny thing is everyone keeps telling me I look good. I guess no one is going to tell me I look like crap.

Latte, those flutters will turn into major kicks before you know it and then you'll begin to wonder if you have an olympic athlete in there. Also I am keeping you in prayer for positive amnio results, I can't imagine what you must be going through. I think the hardest part must be the uncertainty of not knowing.

Want2bskny, I'm sorry to hear about the job loss. I realise how upsetting this must be but I'm glad to hear you trying to look for positives. It's an added stress you just didn't need right now and finding the good from the situation will help you get through (that and some chocolate ).

I know your concerned about weight gain but I hope you get your appetite back soon. You and your bub need your nutrients. Take care

Bella, this is technically my 4th. I say technically because my eldest is 17 and out on her own. My other two are 4.5yrs and almost 3yrs, they are all girls. This will be my last and... he's a boy!!!!!

edited to add:
I almost forgot, I found this interview with Dr Atkins.

http://www.power-surge.com/transcripts/atkins.htm

If you scroll down just a little you will find this:

Quote:

Audience: Is your diet safe to use while breastfeeding a newborn? Or
should I wait until she is weaned?

Dr. Robert Atkins: The diet is quite safe for breastfeeding; however, weight
loss will be painfully slow beca because of the hormones involved in supporting
breastfeeding.

Last edited by mermaiden9 : Mon, Feb-09-09 at 15:13.