Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/180/150 Male 170 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
I doubt you'll find many going "by golly, you've shown me the light!".

Trust me I have no interest in changing anyone's beliefs but just because this is a low carb forum does not change the fact that potatoes are an inherently healthy food. It's how you prepare them that matters.
Imho good nutrition involves eating a wide variety of veg and that includes potatoes!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 00:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/180/150 Male 170 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
This is why low carb has a hard time making headway...

No, This is why low carb has a hard time making headway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Your argument sounds like this: Poison is safe as long as we don't get sick from it. But once we do, poison is no longer safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Whatever vitamins are in potatoes are negated by the damage caused by the carbohydrates.

Sorry but it's attitudes like these that are the real reason why low carbers are not taken seriously.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 02:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Potatoes are a high GI, high carb food. There are absolutely no nutrients found in them that cannot be found in other, lower carb, lower GI and therefore healthier foods.

So why praise such a high carb food on a low carb board?
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 03:09

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Potatoes, how most people eat them the majority of the time(at least if they aren't going to process them further) Make sure half a cup is selected in the drop down, because, IIRC, that's a serving.

Broccoli. Half a cup again.

No commentary needed except there definitely is a reason why spinach, broccoli, or something like kale or chard is almost always included in "diet" plans, especially in showcase examples.

ETA: Just for the sake of illumination and good will to low carb foods:
Spinach
Swiss chard (you can't select 1/2 a cup for greens some reason)
Kale
Tomatoes

Last edited by moggsy : Mon, Sep-15-08 at 03:26.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 03:48

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
ETA: Just for the sake of illumination and good will to low carb foods:
Spinach
Swiss chard (you can't select 1/2 a cup for greens some reason)
Kale
Tomatoes

Avocados too.... can't select 1/2 cup, but if you look at 1 cup and cut all the values in half, it still beats the potato.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 04:11

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

I've always hated potatoes anyway. f'n peasant food.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 05:17

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
Imho good nutrition involves eating a wide variety of veg and that includes potatoes!

Ok, I am not on Atkins, maybe I missed something. Are there many Atkins dieters here that agree with this humble opinion? Do the Atkins books make the claim that good nutrition involves potatoes?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 05:27

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
Ok, I am not on Atkins, maybe I missed something. Are there many Atkins dieters here that agree with this humble opinion? Do the Atkins books make the claim that good nutrition involves potatoes?

Not on Akins either but as far as I recall the books don't advise eating pots. Actually pretty sure you can't unless you're on or approaching maintenance

If he's incorporating lots of pots, perhaps that's why cqo is 30 lbs over his start weight.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 05:28

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I've met very few low carbers who think potatoes are a veg, full stop. I know of a few low carbers who do eat sweet potatoes, but they are usually in maintenance or on the higher carb plans.

It's easy to get confused when you rely on adjectives to quantify things. Even if you add skins into the equation, I wouldn't consider white potatoes as particularly nutritious. If the folks at that magazine want to consider them a good source for this or that, all power to them. As a low carber, I get fewer carbs and more nutrients from other sources.

When considering a food source as healthy, you should look at the micro-nutrient makeup, including any anti-nutrients as well as the macro-nutrient balance. I really can't see how anyone, especially those who are cutting their dietary sugar intake, can justify this low nutrient dense food as healthy.

But to each his or her own. You're just not really entitled to your own data is all.

ETA:
Jacket potatoes, skins eaten For the curious. Unfortunately, it didn't give skins and flesh eaten without salt. You can look at them separately if you want. It's not a good trade-off for low carbers, especially considering the wealth of more nutritious foods we have that are on our plans.

Last edited by moggsy : Mon, Sep-15-08 at 06:50.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 06:03

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
just because this is a low carb forum does not change the fact that potatoes are an inherently healthy food.

You may well find that exactly because this is a low carb forum, the majority of people here are not going to accept your claim that potatoes are an inherently healthy food is a fact.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 06:06

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
But to each his or her own. You're just not really entitled to your own data is all.

Sadly a lot of people seem to think this. Happily, unless they can control what goes in your kitchen, on your plate, and into your mouth...you can act on your own data where it really matters.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
Sorry but it's attitudes like these that are the real reason why low carbers are not taken seriously.

Just, wow - so a message board is the culprit, and not 40 years of low fat misinformation from the government, agricultural industry, and nutritional establishment? No one here understands the power we have, if that's the case. Seriously, that is the least logical thing said in years on this forum - maybe ever.

Do you think potatoes are one of the healthiest things you can eat?
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 10:17

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
No, This is why low carb has a hard time making headway...

Yeah. And attacking the person instead of the argument is such a better attitude to take...
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 10:31

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%
Default What is "low carb"?

"We suggest the following definitions:

The ADA designates low carbohydrate diets as less than 130 g/d or 26% of a nominal 2000 kcal diet and we consider this a reasonable cutoff for the definition of a low-carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrate consumption before the epidemic of obesity averaged 43%, and we suggest 26% to 45% as the range for moderate-carbohydrate diets. The intake of less than 30 g/d, as noted above should be referred to as a very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD). The term Ketogenic Diet should be reserved for the therapeutic approach to epilepsy." http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/9

It appears that what many of you are defining as "low carb" is actually "very low carb ketogenic".

According to the definition provided by the signers of this review -- Richard K Bernstein, Annika Dahlqvist, Richard D Feinman, Eric C Westman, Jay Wortman and Mary C Vernon among them -- eggs and bacon for breakfast, fish and salad for lunch, steak and potato for dinner = low carb. If people choose to eat a potato (or ice cream) instead of cups of greens vegetables...well, their choice, isn't it?

I think what the OP was referring to in his remark about this board is that representing "low carb" as ONLY synonymous to "very low carb ketogenic" (less than 30 gm/carb per day) is doing an injustice to the overall concept which might appeal to more people if they were aware that their low carb diet wouldn't be as limited as that.

Or maybe not.

The awful truth is that most people fail at changing their diets enough to achieve and maintain weight loss -- whatever the change is.

AA built its reputation through "attraction". It worked for many people when the efforts of doctors and others mostly failed and then the treatment centers followed.

Atkins has been around for 30+ years now. If the millions who had bought the book back then, had followed it, and kept their weight off for the last few decades, we wouldn't be discussing "why low carb has a hard time making headway".

JMO
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 10:42

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Atkins has been around for 30+ years now. If the millions who had bought the book back then, had followed it, and kept their weight off for the last few decades, we wouldn't be discussing "why low carb has a hard time making headway".

JMO

And it's been attacked since day one. It's been attacked in the press, in scientific journals, in research papers, in our homes, etc. Don't you think that attitude toward the diet, and by extension toward the people who follow it, would be a significant factor in our decision to stick with it or not as the case may be? I think it would.