Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 14:01

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'll jump in. I just hope I remember this all, so that when I lose the weight, I don't ever treat large people unfairly or treat them as eyesores.

I hate how people have treated me as if I were less...less intelligent, less educated, less believeable, less reliable.

I hate thinking about seating, or seat belts. I truly look forward to sitting in a lawn chair without wondering if I'm going to break it or sink into the lawn. (Has anyone had that happen?)

I hate feeling like I'm a failure. (Which is really changing, thank God, because I am finally finding victory over this lifelong problem.)

I hate the look people give me...when they are trying to figure out if I'm pregnant or just fat. My last child was almost 10 years ago...so my gut shouldn't look pregnant anymore!

I hate having to think about whether I can do something physically...such as running around Disneyland. I would like to take the kids...but want to lose enough so the walking is manageable.

Well, I'm sure there's more. But losing the weight I have so far has been changing life for me. I no longer feel like I want to hide from the world. But you know people...it is good to relate to all of you. It's amazing how alone we all can feel when there are all these wonderful people here that have experienced similiar problems. Thank God we have found a way to change, a solution. Life looks better every day... Victoria
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I hate thinking about seating, or seat belts. I truly look forward to sitting in a lawn chair without wondering if I'm going to break it or sink into the lawn. (Has anyone had that happen?)

Yes Victoria, I've had it happen. For some reason I've always found the incident rather funny and managed not to get down on myself about it (probably because no one else was aware of it), but once I was at a fundraising party at a friend's home and the party was held on the lawn. Luncheon was served and it was rather fancy. I wanted to pull myself closer to the table during lunch and when I attempted to scoot my chair I realized that I had sunken into the lawn about 4 inches!

I hope you know that I don't mean to diminish your observations about this in any way, rather I am just sort of having a laugh at myself.

P.S. congrats on those stats of yours, you too sunflower!

Donald
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:06

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Angry reasons i hate being fat

i agree with all that has been said so far. my top ones are having the stewardess call down the plane-"a seatbelt extender for row so&so", turnstiles, web type lawn chairs and my doctor telling me i could lose weight if only i used willpower and ate properly (low fat and cals!!)
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 17:00

Plan: Rich's New Diet
Stats: 532/395/300 Male 6"6"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default What I hate about being overweight

Everybody has come up with some really good reason why they hate being Over Weight. I have just one.

I hate going to watch my 16 year old Niece Play softball and I'm sitting on the Tailgate of my Truck and she walks right by me with a Friend of Hers and she won't even lookup to say Hi to me.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 17:24
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Letting each other's true spirit enrich our lives!

Jim, your post touched me as well. Wow! When I first began this thread I did it because thinking about how much being overweight negatively impacts my life is somehow VERY MOTIVATING for me. I was worried other's might think it was too negative however. I've never been a fan of the HATE word...it's so powerfully negative and just ugly. But truthfully, I HATE BEING FAT!!!!!! And that word is the only one strong enough to communicate and for me to think about why I'm starting a new WOL!

Thanks so much for your post. And DWRolfe, I think we had the same feelings as we read that.

Sandy, I understand your plight all to well. I don't know you, and I don't know Jim or DWRolfe, but when I look into my child's eyes and I see that sweet, beautiful, and wonderfully AMAZING spirit. I realize 2 things...We were ALL little children like that (and still are in many ways) one day long ago, and we are all SWEET, BEAUTIFUL, AND WONDERFULLY AMAZING!!!! It's such a shame we live in a world that only see's the outer beauty and judge's that to be the pearl of great price. I think we all miss out from making POOR judgements instead of letting each other's true spirit enrich our lives. The other thing I realize is how much potential each of us have in our lives if we make the right choices.

Gosh, thanks guys!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 21:21

Stats: 253/230/180
BF:
Progress: 32%

I hate being fat because I hate looking in the mirror and cringing...
I hate having to look in the "fat people section" for my clothes...
I hate feeling like my boyfriend is lying when he says that I am beautiful...
I am tired of hating myself!
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:37
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%
Default Wow

Wow,
There are others out there who feel like I do. I'm so glad I found this thread. I cried as I read.... I could relate to so many...there is one more for me that I don't even really want to mention...but I will anyway. It has to do with bathing and showering and having a hard time reaching all my parts. I hate it.

Also, I hate that in the morning I can't even bend over to tie my own shoes, or bend down far enough to put on my underwear...I have to hold them with one hand and wiggle my first foot enough to get it in the right hole.

The worst for me is wanting to do things like work in the yard, just pull a few weeds or trim a rose bush... my mind will tell me I can do it, but I pootie out in the first 10 minutes.

The whole bathingsuit issue gets me too. I used to swim all the time. I know I could lose weight if I could get out and swim, but I quit buying bathing suits at the 200 pound mark. That is my main reason why I have set my first goal at 199 pounds...then I will go buy not one but three bathingsuits.... and I will wear them.

This is a forum I will come back to and read over and over again...and I will remember why I want to shed 100 pounds.

I loved reading from the guys on this thread...I just finally realized that it's not just a womans issue. Most everyone I have ever talked to about weight loss has been another woman.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 19:53

Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

I assure you Cheryl, us guys are as affected by the weight issue as you girls. It's an esteem issue. A health issue. A social issue. It knows no colour, class or gender boundaries. Despite the media attempting to portray weight problems as only being the preserve of the girls. We feel it too ( promise ).

My reasons. Um. A lot have been covered.

I realise we are all in the same boat.

And with our weight, it should've sank by now. But we're still going. Good for us.

1 ) Movement. In general. Losing weight benefits my all round movement in any situation. The flexibility that others take for granted is something I want.

2) Good quality of life. I'm 24. Been overweight since 5. I totally lost my childhood. No sports. Increasing your activity levels and being healthy is only part of the deal.
Sports and such activities are social. They breed bonds with your fellow man. They lay foundations. E.g. when someone asks you if you're going to a party, invite a few friends. You actually have friends to invite.

The health aspects of being overweight - that's just the tip of the iceberg.

3) Relationships. Maybe a few more of us would like to mention this. Either find one or improve the ones we've got.
I've talked to girls. I have no problem. But I can tell in their eyes that it's as far as I will ever get.
Ever had a girl talk to you out of sheer pity? I hate that. It is like we are diseased. No use saying our doctors and government advice has put us this way and we are victims. No dice.

Life is not worth living if you cannot grasp it and live it well. Each day something accomplished.

I know my problems are all connected with my weight. It is the root of all evil for me. So I have to tackle it head on.

I've lost least of anyone I know, so I can't be faulted for trying.

There are millions more reasons I could think of, given time. Many have been covered here.

But that's all what I hate.

I love :

1 ) This board
2 ) People dropping into my journal. HINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 ) Guys in the same boat as myself and making it happen. You all rock ( Donald, that's for you ).
4 ) You guys for openly sharing your experiences. Being fat has its universal feelings, and I can see for the first time that I'm not alone. I was the only fat kid in my group of friends. I hope I can count on you guys as my new friends. Understanding friends. You need to be in my shoes to understand, and you guys are.

Let's ditch these shoes. And get smaller clothes.

And lets's rock.

Atkid out.

Last edited by Atkid : Sat, Mar-30-02 at 20:12.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 07:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Some Ups and some downs

This is a great thread - very interesting! A lot of what i am going to say has been said before, but here is my 2 cents:

Why I hate being Fat...

1. Stretchmarks. Hate looking at myself in the mirror naked and seeing a roadmap all over my stomach, hate having to make sure that I wear long enough sleeves to cover the ones that have creeped onto my arms.
2. Clothes. I live in Birmingham UK (the Second city in England)and there are still only 3 shops with clothes that fit me. Also the designs suck - I am 23 years old, I don't want ugly pleats, nasty flower patterns or embroidery. I would happily pay serious cash for designer clothes (Gucci, Versace) but they choose to ignore us. Whats really annoying also is getting clothes and getting home and you realise that they are on ultrahuge hangers that are too big for my wardrobe! We are blatently overcharged for these clothes too.
3. Cinema. Bugs me when i go to the Odeon that the chairs dig into my sides. Before my weight loss i actually used to sit on the stairs.
4. Excercising. People look at you disgusted when you start jumping around in a class or in a gym.
5. Acne. I used to get really bad acne. I am 23, so I know part of this is going to be my age. But in the last 6 months since I have been on atkins I have noticed my acne has really calmed down.
6. Muscle. The fact that i have very flabby arms & stomach, but my calves & thighs are really muscly from carrying around too much weight for too many years.
7. Skinny people. I get so sick of skinny people grabbing 2mm of skin and saying that they are 'fat', If they think they are truly fat then they must be disgusted by me.
8. Skinny people again. Hate being fat because I always have that niggly feeling in the back of my mind that some of my (skinny) friends are only my friends because I make them look better.
9.Vanity. I have always secretly wanted to be one of those nasty vain bitchy-types, well maybe just once in a while, at the 'right' party. It does not matter how often i get the trendy haircut, do my nails, wear flawless make-up, I won't be quite vain enough to carry it off.
10. Euphamisms. I really hate it when people are trying to be polite and justify us by giving us cutsey named defined by our weight, rather than just say we fat and we know it. Hate 'cuddly' 'fluffy', 'short for her weight' or people saying that our weight is fine because it gives people something to hang onto.
11. The looks. Hate getting the look from people when eating a meal, like we have just done something illegal. Hate the look of pity. Hate the look of superiority from super slim people who look down on us.
12. Bad design. I hate the fact they build places without us in mind. Hate turnstiles. Hate having to do that awful sideways jiggle shuffle down train & plane corridors that are too narrow.

Enough of whinging these are some of the reasons why I am happy that I have been fat:

1. I have learnt to look behind the physical attributes of a person. I truly believe that I have learnt to be open to all sorts of people regardless of colour, age or appearance, because I know the beauty of a good soul.
2. We can see back with a certain degree of arrogance at all those skinny people that 'can eat and eat and never put on weight'. One day they will wake up 45 big and fat and we can smile and say 'never mind...'
3. I have learned to curb my impulses, I am no longer a slave to sugar. I was so easily tempted before, but each time I resist naughty stuff now, I really am wowed by myself and brag about how good I have just been.
4. Love setting personal targets and goals. I have a long way to go yet, but I want to start kickboxing when I get within a stone of my goal.
5. After years of stuffing junk into my mouth thinking it was good for me, I have finally learnt what is truly is good for me.

Well I think that is enough for now i feel so much better!

A note to some of those people looking for love.......

I have always been overweight, size 16 at school, so I have no idea what it is like to be skinny. However I have always considered myself to be a sexy person. I believe that being sexy is 90% mental, 10% physical. I have never been without a boyfriend since i was 15. I have never been afraid of chatting up someone in a pub or club, and I would say I have had a 97% pulling success rate. Its all in the attitude. I would not like to give exact numbers (!!!) but i have more that my fair share of romance.

People are very insecure, with fragile souls. If you start chatting to someone they will be so thrilled because all people have insecurites which tax them 24/7. They may even be a support group out there for people who have big ears/ noses/ bad hair. Thes people are the same as us. No better. No worse.

DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT

Every thread, every person that i have read about in the last 6 months is cleary an itelligent person with bags of fantastic stuff to offer anyone who is lucky enough to grab hold of you while they get the chance. Instead of focusing on all the stuff that is holding you bag, why don't you look at all the great things you have to offer. If you are already in a bad relationship that you are just 'sitting in' because you don't think you can do any better, then compare your good stuff with theirs - who is the more worthwhile person? My £100 is on you.

Sorry for such a long one guys.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 19:09

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile The silver Lining

Hi all

JJ I agree that there are things I have learned because I was/am fat. These lessons I will take on with me. I am sure there are also lessons I will learn when I am skinny. And I can tell you I am ready to be skinny.

Thanks....

Dee
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:23

Stats: 300/225/150
BF:

Boy, can I relate to clothes shopping (still hate it) and restaurant booths. But last month, I discovered that for the first time in several years, I can slide into a booth and not bruise my stomach! I haven't conquered the airline seatbelt extension thing yet, but that may be because I haven't flown for almost a year. It's possible I may not need it now. And for me, one of the worst things about being fat is that I ceased to love myself. After that, any attempts at improvement were halfhearted and sporadic. Did I mention that I am growing my self-esteem and love again? It sure colours my relationship with other people.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 17:00

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Why I love being thin (er)!!!

I like the positive side of things better than the negative...just call me crazy, I don't care...1. I can now hike in my beloved Sierras and enjoy God's wilderness instead of crawling to the refigerator for another bowl of ice cream to drown my sorrows for being so disgustingly fat, 2. When people look at me, I'm not thinking they are staring at my disgusting globs of fat hanging everywhere, 3. I can see myself in one mirror! 4. I can actually see the ends of my toes when I look straight down, now! 5. I don't get winded when I climb the stairs to my office every day! 6. I feel great! 7. There is space between me and the steering wheel! 8. When I turn really fast, all of me goes in the same direction, all at once! 9. People say, "Hey! You're really losing a lot of weight!" 10. My motorcycle doesn't sink to the ground and the tires don't flatten out when I get on it, now! ....I LOVE BEING THIN (ER)!!!!!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 22:26
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

good for you capt xray, I still need to lose first before I can do that...
I just had foot surgery so I can do more walking...I'm trying to lose as it heals...because I love walking outside, and going north to the redwoods....oh...I can't wait. I know I'm going to do it and it will be great.
but for now...it is good for me to realize all the things I hate about being fat...because it motivates me to keep going.
Cheryl
PS...why are you captxray...is there a meaning behind that? I work in an xray dept...that's why I ask...and I work for a military xray dept...so we have captains who are radiologists...and sometimes we call them capt xray or lt xray...etc.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 09:50

Stats: 300/225/150
BF:

Cheryl, I see that you intend to lose 10 pounds this month. What will you feel like if you don't make it? I know I cannot lose weight that fast - 5 lbs per month would have me ecstatic. So, rather than set such a goal, which for me is unrealistic, (and above all, I hate failing at something I've chosen to do ) I look at what I can achieve - like drinking more water, sticking fairly close to Induction, eating more veggies, etc. Then, if weight loss happens, I am delighted. If not, I continue on. (What choice do I have? I wish to keep my gains...er, losses. ) As a side benefit, if I have been close to my goals all month and nothing budges , then I look to 1. tighten my control and 2. pursue other health issues, like hypothyroidism.
Hope your foot surgery is a complete success and you can walk and do those things that you crave doing. Best. Sandra
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:39

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Just 'cause

Cheryl,
I am a psychotherapist and used to work in a large county mental health dept. clinic. I started writing a silly newsletter to break the seriousness and pain we all felt working with so many tragically chronically mentally ill people. One of the secretaries started calling me Captain X-Ray...my name is Ray...and stated that I would "save the world," etc. I gave her a fake Certificate of Appointment and Promotion that said she was a "Stalwart General in Charge of Everything Important in the Universe in the Captain's Endeavor to Save the Universe...etc., etc.," She hung it above her desk. Before long, I had about 20 people clamoring for their very own certificate to "prove" they were also Stalwarts of the Captain. Hence the name. We had Sergeants Corporals, Privates, Leutenants, you name it...we developed a "Captain's Corps to Save the Universe." It actually got quite out of hand. People began to talk like Batman and Robin, Spider Man, Superman. I became a Superhero of my office. There was even a superhero poster made with me in my "Captain X-Ray" superhero tight-fitting outfit...It was pretty hilarious. The name has stuck with me ever since...