Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 09:45

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon
So, the butyrate kills cancerous cells and low-carbers have less butyrate. OK. But that alone doesn't predict risk unless they establish that all people on all diets develop the same number of cancerous cells in the bowel to begin with.

My thought exactly.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 10:40

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

So I should supplement with butter if I go on a low carb diet? Oh darn!!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 11:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 384/264/217 Male 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

Blah Blah Blah, there are is always gonna be negativity in the world. Plastic water bottles were said to possibly cause cancer, folks I have been doing LC for quite awhile and there is more negative stuff than positive about it. If you feel good and the scale tells you that you are on your way to success, than hey keep on trucking, but if you are gonna worry about all the negativity in the world, stop drinking water from a plastic water bottles.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 13:59

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

So...if I spread Margarine on my captain crunch and jelly bagel in the morning with a cup of concentrate orange juice I could live longer as long as I include a spoonful of Crisco with sugar on it?

Gosh, I trust man made products so much more than nature...they've never let me down before!!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 14:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
So I should supplement with butter if I go on a low carb diet? Oh darn!!!
Butter Snackers Live Longer!!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 15:08

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

DNA damage from eating red meat linked to cancer

Harmful compounds raise risk of bowel disease
Volunteers fed diet heavy in beef and pork
Sarah Hall, health correspondent

Eating large quantities of red meat can increase your risk of bowel cancer by producing substances in the gut that damage DNA, a study reveals today.

A comparison of cells from the lining of the colon shows that people who eat a diet high in high red meat have a "significant" increase in levels of DNA damage compared with vegetarians. This damage can increase the risk of developing cancer, say researchers at the Medical Research Council's (MRC) Dunn human nutrition unit in Cambridge.

The finding follows a major European study last year which indicated that people who eat two portions of red or processed meat a day increase their risk of bowel cancer by 35% compared with those who eat one portion weekly. The research, part funded by the MRC, monitored the diets of nearly half a million men and women in 10 countries over five years.

The new study, led by Sheila Bingham and published today in the journal Cancer Research, looked for physiological changes that could explain this result. "The question was: what was the reason for this association?" she said. "With this research, we have established a direct link."

The scientists monitored 21 volunteers, who each undertook three 15-day diets. The first, high-meat, diet featured roast beef sandwiches, minced beef pie, sweet and sour pork and cottage pie; the second, vegetarian, cheese or egg sandwiches, vegetarian and pasta bake, egg and chips, and lentil bake; and the third, meat dishes but higher levels of fibre. Cells from every stool sample were then analysed to check for the presence of any alteration in DNA.

The researchers found that when the red meat diet was compared with the vegetarian diet, there was a "consistent and significant" increase in DNA damage, while damage was intermediate with the red meat/high fibre diet.

Source: Guardian

Low carb and red meat sounds like a double whammy for an increased chance of bowel cancer?

Bo
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 15:18

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
high-meat, diet featured roast beef sandwiches, minced beef pie, sweet and sour pork and cottage pie

That sounds pretty high carb. I wonder what would happen if they looked at high meat low carb vs no meat high carb?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 15:55

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
two portions of red or processed meat

Red OR processed meat?

This wasn't significant enough for them to break it out?
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Low carb and red meat sounds like a double whammy for an increased chance of bowel cancer?
Only to someone who is stupid enough to smoke while filling their car with fuel. Most of us have sufficient common sense not to light fags at the same time as putting petrol in the tank. Pro inflammatory inputs in a flammable situation are not a good idea.

That is why high anti inflammatory status like high Vitamin D3 status, like you naturally get if you lay naked in the sun, reduces bowel cancer because it raises your natural anti inflammatory status.

So does omega 3 the fatty acids from oily fish. and magnesium.

Fat cells themselves produce pro inflammatory cytokines so by eating a low carb diet you are reducing the size of your fat cells and reducing their capacity to generate pro inflammatory cytokines and thus reducing your pro inflammatory status.

You give the impression that red meat is red meat but is all red meat the same?

Is grass finished red meat like lamb or venison or grass finished beef the same as feedlot grain fed beef?

Do that all red meats have the same omega 3 content or is some red meat less pro inflammatory depending on it's higher omega 3 content?

What kind of meat do you think our hunter gatherer ancestors would have caught, organic free range high omega 3 red meat or feed lot grain fed high omega 6 animals?

Go and check the original article and you see But they're talking about giving people the equivalent of two 8oz steaks a day, seven days a week. Anyone whose diet is that unbalanced is going to have problems." this trial was not being realistic and certainly wasn't ensuring those people doing the trial had adequate anti inflammatory status nor did they use the kind of red meat most likely to be least inflammatory. Sure the kind of idiot who smokes while filling his fuel tank needs to be aware of what happens in inflammatory situations but most of us here have more common sense than that.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 16:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
DNA damage from eating red meat linked to cancer
Low-carbohydrate diets may increase the risk of people suffering bowel cancer, scientists have claimed.
Hmmm, are you a foot soldier in the PETA and PCRM anti-meat war, Bo?
You do seem to be rather anti-meat, rare in a LC'er.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 17:39

Plan: lc
Stats: 93/75/74 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 95%

aahhhh, so the inuit and masai must be dropping left and right from bowel cancer...
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
Red OR processed meat?

This wasn't significant enough for them to break it out?

The EPIC study (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), based on about 1,300 bowel cancer cases, has shown a significant 55% increase in risk for a 100g/day increase in consumption of red and processed meat. Red meat is defined as all fresh, minced and frozen beef, veal, pork and lamb. Processed meat is any meat preserved by methods other than freezing, including marinating, smoking, salting, air drying or heating and includes ham, bacon, sausages, pate and tinned meat.

This is supported by results of three meta-analyses, which show a 20-30% increased risk of bowel cancer in relation to 100-120g/day of red meat and a 9-50% increased risk of bowel cancer in relation to 25-30g/day of processed meat.

The EPIC study also supports a significant risk reduction of approximately 30% with higher intake of fish, including fresh, canned, salted and smoked.

CONCLUSIONS: Our data confirm that colorectal cancer risk is positively associated with high consumption of red and processed meat and support an inverse association with fish intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...pt=AbstractPlus

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Oct-09-08 at 19:42.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 20:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I did NOT need to know that butter, cheese and vomit have so many things in common!

Nancy, my DH would have told you that 50 years ago - and every time you ate cheese or had it in the house forever after!!! Actually, he might not have included butter but cheese and vomit - "well .... can't YOU smell it?!! How can you eat that crap????"

Makes imaginative low-carb cooking a bigger challenge!!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 20:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Okay, I was just reading this study on poo here yesterday. I think I was trying to figure out how much nitrogen loss is due to microorganisms stealing it.
The study was done to see the effect of a purified diet of simple sugars, pure amino acids, minerals and vitamins on the microbial population of the human gut. Here's a quote;

""A standard regimen using a chemically defined diet as the sole source of nutritional support to reduce intestinal bulk and which is accompanied by a 1000-fold, or greater, reduction in the population level of intestinal microbes over the course of a 4-day period or less in most individuals..."

The study of the opening post gave what, a four-fold decrease in beneficial bacteria with the red meat diet?

Easily absorbed sugars never make it to fermentation; they're too readily absorbed by the host to do the bacteria any good. So if you're really concerned about butyric acid in the colon, the concern's dietary fiber, which most low carbers don't count when restricting carbs.

How do we know it's the carbs, in the second article posted. Maybe it's the eggs and cheese.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
Hmmm, are you a foot soldier in the PETA and PCRM anti-meat war, Bo?
You do seem to be rather anti-meat, rare in a LC'er.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition I'm trying to postpone by understanding things like this.

Best wishes.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Oct-09-08 at 22:39. Reason: typo